Should the Rams consider signing former McVay coached RB Matt Jones, if released?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Should the Rams consider signing former McVay coached RB Matt Jones, if released?
227364_e6bb3fb766d84df9b7d42e7d6bed1cf1~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ormer-McVay-coached-RB-Matt-Jones-if-released

The former third-round pick of the Washington Redskins appears to be done with the team and a release could be imminent. The real question: Should the Rams consider reuniting him with Sean McVay?

Matt Jones is a bruising back that you probably already know just off his dominance against the Rams from a few years ago. Jones brings a nasty mean streak to him as a runner, he's not the fastest player on the field, but his power makes up for it. As great as Todd Gurley is...he isn't quite the bulldozer that Jones can be, which means the Rams likely don't have that goal line type of back on the roster if they want to spell Gurley.

According to CSN Mid-Atlantic the third-year running back is not in the Redskins plans moving forward after drafting former Oklahoma Sooner RB Samaje Perine. Jones, definitely was not okay with the move as he is holding out of OTAs, which has angered head coach Jay Gruden.

If Matt Jones continues to skip OTAs it's likely he will be cut and the 6-foot-2, 232 pounder will be a free agent. Now, I have no clue if Sean McVay had a relationship with Jones, but throwing the connections out of the window for a minute, the Rams don't have a 6-foot-2 and 230-plus pound bruising back. Obviously, the Rams are well over the cap, but that is due to the off-season rosters expanding to 90 men. Once the final cuts are made the Rams will likely be right where they need to be.

Jones has only had 243 carries for 950 yards rushing, six touchdowns as well as adding another 377 yards receiving out of the backfield on 27 catches. The reason for those stats being a little underwhelming at first glance was due to the time-share in Washington, but also the fact Jones only has played in 20 games in two seasons and only has seven official starts under his belt. Clearly Jones needs a change of scenery and the Rams could give it to him.

On the other side of the coin, the Rams have running backs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green, Justin Davis, Lance Dunbar, Lenard Tillery and De'Mard Llorens. A move to get Jones would really speak on the coaches behalf on what they see and believe with the running back group thus far. My opinion and my knowledge of the situation coincide in the fact the Rams should be and are wanting to add a bigger pass catching back next season. Jones could definitely be that guy and cut down the wait time for that to happen.

Obviously, there is one key variable if any, for Jones to sign with the Rams and that is the first part, getting released. The team may choose to keep him and trade him, but overall I see Jones being cut before preseason. Is Jones a hidden need for the Rams? I would almost say yes, because of his ability to punch the ball in during short yardage attempts. As great as Gurley is, he was still stuffed plenty of times at the goal line and at least one of the times it costed the Rams a win.

The jury is out whether or not Matt Jones can be an NFL starter, but coming to the Rams he wouldn't have to be. This is likely the best route for Jones, going back to an old coach that understands the game of football and is comfortable utilizing him in both the running game and passing game. If Jones is to succeed at the NFL level and get his career back on track, the Rams seem like the perfect fit to propel his stock back to his rookie year.

Would you grab Matt Jones if he became available via free agency? Let us know!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just made this point in the RB depth post. I would grab him if he became a FA in a heart beat.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're significantly overrating Matt Jones, but if he costs nothing, it can't hurt to bring in additional competition.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i dont really see the need. We have gurley, dunbar, and tavon. And possibly one more.

Ram65

Legend
Is he an upgrade over Malcolm Brown? If he is an upgrade will the cost be worth the value. I have not seen enough of them to know the answers. McVay will know the answers. I'm confident that McVay and the Rams will make the right call here.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Uh...hell yes they should. If the dude could hold onto the ball he would still be there guy I think. You can not have to many good horses in the stable.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Has trouble hanging onto the football, however, does run really well between the tackles. Jones also does not catch the football very well. Again I love the way the kid runs between the tackles and his best game as a pro was against the Rams, but if Sean McVay feels Jones would have a shot that I'm fine with it, but Jones has to work on securing the football and once that is in your head you tend not to run as well because your conscious of hanging onto the rock instead of just reacting and looking for the hole to run through.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just made this point in the RB depth post. I would grab him if he became a FA in a heart beat.
You wouldn't believe how many people think Lance Dunbar is a backup running back that adds size and power...Ignorance...Ignorance everywhere

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
There are lots of players that if cut would be decent signings. What's the point in speculating on something that may not happen though :)

BTW Dunbar is a good backup RB, anybody that thinks he and Jones fill the same role or are the same type of RB don't really watch the games. We have a good stable of RB's though if no changes are made between now and week 1.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You wouldn't believe how many people think Lance Dunbar is a backup running back that adds size and power...Ignorance...Ignorance everywhere

I'd like to see that....I guess today people will communicate anything, however, Dunbar was brought in for one major reason, his ability to catch the football, which is a major asset as the Cowboys would sit Ezekiel Elliott, who can really catch the football quite well for Dunbar. And I can't imagine at 5-8 187 anyone thinking that Dunbar adds power unless they are thinking of another back.

Now I do realize that happens, it has happened in my years of talking football to different people and a gracious way to always handle someone who is misinformed is to say or communicate something like "At 5-8 187 I'm not sure if he'll add size or power, but I have a good feeling about his ability to catch the football and his speed should be an asset as well."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
227364_e6bb3fb766d84df9b7d42e7d6bed1cf1~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ormer-McVay-coached-RB-Matt-Jones-if-released

The former third-round pick of the Washington Redskins appears to be done with the team and a release could be imminent. The real question: Should the Rams consider reuniting him with Sean McVay?

Matt Jones is a bruising back that you probably already know just off his dominance against the Rams from a few years ago. Jones brings a nasty mean streak to him as a runner, he's not the fastest player on the field, but his power makes up for it. As great as Todd Gurley is...he isn't quite the bulldozer that Jones can be, which means the Rams likely don't have that goal line type of back on the roster if they want to spell Gurley.

According to CSN Mid-Atlantic the third-year running back is not in the Redskins plans moving forward after drafting former Oklahoma Sooner RB Samaje Perine. Jones, definitely was not okay with the move as he is holding out of OTAs, which has angered head coach Jay Gruden.

If Matt Jones continues to skip OTAs it's likely he will be cut and the 6-foot-2, 232 pounder will be a free agent. Now, I have no clue if Sean McVay had a relationship with Jones, but throwing the connections out of the window for a minute, the Rams don't have a 6-foot-2 and 230-plus pound bruising back. Obviously, the Rams are well over the cap, but that is due to the off-season rosters expanding to 90 men. Once the final cuts are made the Rams will likely be right where they need to be.

Jones has only had 243 carries for 950 yards rushing, six touchdowns as well as adding another 377 yards receiving out of the backfield on 27 catches. The reason for those stats being a little underwhelming at first glance was due to the time-share in Washington, but also the fact Jones only has played in 20 games in two seasons and only has seven official starts under his belt. Clearly Jones needs a change of scenery and the Rams could give it to him.

On the other side of the coin, the Rams have running backs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green, Justin Davis, Lance Dunbar, Lenard Tillery and De'Mard Llorens. A move to get Jones would really speak on the coaches behalf on what they see and believe with the running back group thus far. My opinion and my knowledge of the situation coincide in the fact the Rams should be and are wanting to add a bigger pass catching back next season. Jones could definitely be that guy and cut down the wait time for that to happen.

Obviously, there is one key variable if any, for Jones to sign with the Rams and that is the first part, getting released. The team may choose to keep him and trade him, but overall I see Jones being cut before preseason. Is Jones a hidden need for the Rams? I would almost say yes, because of his ability to punch the ball in during short yardage attempts. As great as Gurley is, he was still stuffed plenty of times at the goal line and at least one of the times it costed the Rams a win.

The jury is out whether or not Matt Jones can be an NFL starter, but coming to the Rams he wouldn't have to be. This is likely the best route for Jones, going back to an old coach that understands the game of football and is comfortable utilizing him in both the running game and passing game. If Jones is to succeed at the NFL level and get his career back on track, the Rams seem like the perfect fit to propel his stock back to his rookie year.

Would you grab Matt Jones if he became available via free agency? Let us know!
IDK! But obviously McVay knows Jones so we will see what happens If/when he gets cut!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
ehh, back up RB is the least of my worries. Is he really much better than what we have on the bench now. Besides the fact that he'd actually be on the bench, at a higher cost than the guys that are already riding the pine.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Redskins running back Matt Jones skipping OTAs

Jones started the first seven games of the 2016 season before being a healthy scratch the rest of the way.

The Redskins drafting Samaje Perine in the fourth round to team with Rob Kelley and third-down back Chris Thompson signaled the end of Jones' time in D.C.

Jones, a bruising 6-foot-2, 232-pound runner showed promise as a rookie, toting 144 times in 2015 for 490 yards and catching 19 passes for 304 yards. He immediately fell out of favor in Washington in 2016, with Kelley taking over the big-back role.

Fumbles sealed Jones fate. In two seasons, the running back coughed up the ball eight times, losing six. Coaches do not suffer running backs

Jones skipping OTAs feels like the first step in the third-round pick's eventual release. Whether the Redskins grant him that discharge now or make him wait remains to be seen.

Given his youth and natural talent, Jones should latch onto another squad once he's cut loose. If he can't fix the fumbling problem, however, his second chance won't last long.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...edskins-running-back-matt-jones-skipping-otas

Like these guys said....
@den-the-coach = trouble hanging onto the football
@Dodgersrf = higher cost than the guys already riding the pine
@jrry32 = Matt Jones overrated