Several thoughts about the Cook rumors...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
These are random thoughts and in no particular order...

Wouldn't be the first time that LaCanfora and Florio were caught off base, would it?

Cook best not totally ignore it. He best improve his game starting this week.

Cook is a square peg in a round hole in this Cigs O. A danged expensive one at that. And I don't see Gurley or Cigs leaving anytime soon.

At the very least, this rumor might be a wake up call that has a positive effect on Cook.

Anyone who thinks the Rams would hesitate to make a trade that they feel would help their team just hast not been paying attention. For Cook or just about anyone else.

Hate to even suggest this, but Cook's best value currently might be as a danged decoy. Remember the "For God's sake, don't throw it to Cook on 3rd down" video commentary? Lol.

I suspect Cook's days as a Ram are numbered. I predict that a stud TE will be in S&F's sights come the next draft.

There is such a thing as addition by subtraction. A healthy Kendricks, Harkey, and Cunningham might be able to exceed Cook's value in terms of both locker room chemistry and on field results.

Whom among us is putting much stock in Fisher's "vote of confidence" statement. Or should I call it the dreaded vote of confidence?

When I put all of the above into the blender and process it, I think we have a TE in Cook that is in pretty thin ice. If another team makes a juicy offer, I think S&F will take it. If no offer comes in, Cook will still be in prove it mode for the rest of the season. And I think his replacement for next year is currently playing on Saturdays.

How 'bout them apples? Lol.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
There is such a thing as addition by subtraction. A healthy Kendricks, Harkey, and Cunningham might be able to exceed Cook's value in terms of both locker room chemistry and on field results.

What evidence, other than fan based speculation, that Cook has a negative value in the locker room?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Wouldn't be the first time that LaCanfora and Florio were caught off base, would it?
No, but even if nothing happens it doesn't mean the rumor is false.

or what? don't get me wrong, but what is the real threat....he has made millions, if cut he is likely to get picked up by someone else (maybe at less money, but he still has the millions he made form the Rams)

Cook is a square peg in a round hole in this Cigs O. A danged expensive one at that. And I don't see Gurley or Cigs leaving anytime soon.
Gurley ain't going anywhere...not sure what that has to do with Cook, Gurley is cost controlled for next few years, not like you need to cut Cook to pay Gurley...
Cig's is a whole different matter...his job depends on the team doing well....this team bombs he is out of a job...this O bombs he might be out of a job....

At the very least, this rumor might be a wake up call that has a positive effect on Cook.
Or it could poison the waters. He doesn't get traded gets a bad attitude, hurts the locker room...and/or you have to deal with cutting him (which just to be clear could have downside if he goes elsewhere and blows up)

Anyone who thinks the Rams would hesitate to make a trade that they feel would help their team just hast not been paying attention. For Cook or just about anyone else.
Fully agree, but that is true of practically any player out there. The trouble is you likely will not get his replacement out of the trade (right now I think a 5th would be all you could get - trust me if the rams aren't happy with his play then it is know...and his trade value is lowered), odds are you aren't getting a starting TE in the 5th round

I suspect Cook's days as a Ram are numbered. I predict that a stud TE will be in S&F's sights come the next draft.
hope he doesn't feel the same, makes it even more likely he shuts it down...as for finding a stud TE, well most teams would love to do that, we are going to have plenty of needs come the draft (most teams always do).

I hope so, Cook is making a case to try it....just worry that subtraction ends up being subtraction.

Whom among us is putting much stock in Fisher's "vote of confidence" statement. Or should I call it the dreaded vote of confidence?
Never have never will....lol

Don't get me wrong, I have said for years the Rams overpaid for Cook, and I agree he seems especially lacking this year. But I do worry that there is an assumption that he would be easy to replace and I think that is the risk. Cook to me has always been in that grey area....he is good, not great...and yeah you would like to upgrade over him, but odds are you won't (unfortunately)...

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
All I know is DC's have to game plan for Cook. Not so much for the rest of he Rams TE's, esp. with Kendricks having a bad finger. It moves everything more in the box without him.
If they want to give Bailey more snaps in the slot that's great, he's the best slot guy on the team. But trading Cook for something of non immediate value is going to hurt the team rest of the season.
Limit his playbook, put him in a position to succeed and if nothing else use his potential to make DC's use resources just in case he does catch the ball to create room for rest of the offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What evidence, other than fan based speculation, that Cook has a negative value in the locker room?

You mean other than common sense, Orchid?

He quits on plays.

He makes critical drive killing drops.

Remember the sideline push of Austin Davis after Cook dropped a crucial pass?

These are not things that endear Cook to his teammates and coaches. I chose to call it a negative value in the locker room. Hell, maybe on the practice field, too. They're certainly negatives on the field on Sundays, that's for damned sure.

Common sense tells me that he doesn't suddenly morph into a perfect teammate once he's in the locker room or team meetings.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
You mean other than common sense, Orchid?

He quits on plays.

He makes critical drive killing drops.

Remember the sideline push of Austin Davis after Cook dropped a crucial pass?

These are not things that endear Cook to his teammates and coaches. I chose to call it a negative value in the locker room. Hell, maybe on the practice field, too. They're certainly negatives on the field on Sundays, that's for damned sure.

Common sense tells me that he doesn't suddenly morph into a perfect teammate once he's in the locker room or team meetings.

Again, just your speculation in the guise of common sense. Have you heard any of his teammates or coaches voice any concerns regarding him as a teammate? Have you seen in press reports? When you have some, I will entertain the thought.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
hope he doesn't feel the same, makes it even more likely he shuts it down..
I was thinking this as well... he's kind of a wild card when it comes to motivation... it could make him try harder... or he could say F it!

Last year, he was seen screaming at Davis between series.
Oh, he did more than scream... ;)

He quits on plays.
This isn't fan speculation. Anyone who has watched him play since he came to the Rams sees it far too often.
I'd have to assume teammates don't like guys who don't give it their all on every play. Speculation? Yes. Logical? Yes.

My take on him is he's a bit of a spoiled child... if things are going his way, he engages... if they don't? He disappears.

Yes, game plans and schemes play a role... but he has clearly demonstrated that his effort runs hot and cold (more cold, really).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again, just your speculation in the guise of common sense. Have you heard any of his teammates or coaches voice any concerns regarding him as a teammate? Have you seen in press reports? When you have some, I will entertain the thought.

Seriously, Orchid?

You expect to see a coach or player come out and publicly bad mouth Cook before you think he's a locker room problem?

Rarely works that way in the real world. Everyone is much too PC for that.

Believe what you want. That's fine by me.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna stick with my common sense thingy.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you heard any of his teammates or coaches voice any concerns regarding him as a teammate?
C'mon Orchid.... you seem like a well grounded thinker... do you believe any of the players or coaches would come out publicly and say anything like that?

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Seriously, Orchid?

You expect to see a coach or player come out and publicly bad mouth Cook before you think he's a locker room problem?

Rarely works that way in the real world. Everyone is much too PC for that.

Believe what you want. That's fine by me.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna stick with my common sense thingy.

Ok, I worry this will come out wrong, and not agreeing with Orchid on needing public statement to confirm your concerns....

I do have to wonder if he is a locker room negative or just status quo (for the O only - I get the feeling the O and the D are very different groups). I agree he clearly takes plays off, he is rarely what anyone would call a high motor guy (I mean can you imagine Amendola's brain in his body). But just because a guy is like that doesn't mean he is a locker room cancer. Do I worry that it rubs off on others, yep, but I agree that we aren't getting the signs he is an outcast by the rest of the team or causing a rift...

I might go so far as to say he is standard for the O, not trying to rip on people (but I admit it will come out that way-and may actually be) but has Saffold, for instance, ever hit you as being an all out all the time sort. Every member of the O seems to be learning/developing slowly (exception Gurley). Our veterans are guys who had potential but never fully tapped it. I mean we all talk about Kendrick's replacing Cook, but honestly he came out of college with a rep of being a great receiving TE, I don't think any of us see him now as the next great TE, he hasn't quite lived up to that 47th pick (NO he is NOT a bust, but he certainly isn't even a solid starter either, much less a 2nd tier guy).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
All I know is DC's have to game plan for Cook. Not so much for the rest of he Rams TE's, esp. with Kendricks having a bad finger. It moves everything more in the box without him.
I understand the logic here but I don't think Cook is actually doing that. DCs may have to game plan for the possibility of Cook going off but until he starts doing it with any kind of consistency in a game or a series of games, I don't think they are devoting any more resources to him than they would to Kendricks or any other TE we have suiting up. It's a shame too. If DCs had to game plan to stop TA, TG, AND Cook, I think you'd see a pretty damn well rounded offense.

Who knows. Maybe this rumor was started to jerk Cook out of his funk. I hope so and I hope it works. This offense could use the talents he allegedly possesses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe LaCanfora and Florio over Fisher. Fisher flat-out lied to everyone for the entire duration of moving Bradford. He is not to be trusted when it comes to personnel reports.

Best case scenario for the Rams is that Cook gets it together and plays lights out the rest of the season. But only a fool would bank on that. And IMO logic backs up the media on this one. My bet is that Snead made a couple calls, probably to Atlanta where he has a lot of association, and likely another team or two. And I'm sure both him and Fish are pi$$ed that someone spilled the info. My assumption is based on who has the need, which is the Rams. They undoubtedly would like to clear the air by moving his overpaid @$$ to another team.

We will never know the truth, and it likely won't happen if they haven't had an offer they like by now. But there is still time and it would not surprise me if it happened even if Cook has a big game this Sunday.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are random thoughts and in no particular order...

Hate to even suggest this, but Cook's best value currently might be as a danged decoy. Remember the "For God's sake, don't throw it to Cook on 3rd down" video commentary? Lol.

When I put all of the above into the blender and process it, I think we have a TE in Cook that is in pretty thin ice. If another team makes a juicy offer, I think S&F will take it. If no offer comes in, Cook will still be in prove it mode for the rest of the season. And I think his replacement for next year is currently playing on Saturdays.

How 'bout them apples? Lol.
You make a Lot of sense, I just don't know!! this Cook situation just bothers me!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Last year, he was seen screaming at Davis between series. Not good.

I get so tired of these judgement based off a single moment in the heat of a game. We don't know what happened before or after, or what either player was thinking. It doesn't mean shit to me.

All we see is those few seconds on tv. We don't know what happens in the locker room enough to make a judgement.

Honestly I'm also getting tired of this Jared Cook bashing. Everyone knew what he was when he signed here. Nothing has changed and IDK why it's escalating now. No sense in complaining about contracts either, that's the fallacy of free agency.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there anything concrete that even suggests the Rams were shopping him? Maybe I missed it but it seems the rumors don't have much to them other than speculation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Honestly I'm also getting tired of this Jared Cook bashing. Everyone knew what he was when he signed here. Nothing has changed and IDK why it's escalating now. No sense in complaining about contracts either, that's the fallacy of free agency.

Pretty much where I am at. To the point, I've hardly been reading the threads on Cook.

Let's see where Cook's performance is 7-8 games down the road.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I believe LaCanfora and Florio over Fisher. Fisher flat-out lied to everyone for the entire duration of moving Bradford. He is not to be trusted when it comes to personnel reports.

Best case scenario for the Rams is that Cook gets it together and plays lights out the rest of the season. But only a fool would bank on that. And IMO logic backs up the media on this one. My bet is that Snead made a couple calls, probably to Atlanta where he has a lot of association, and likely another team or two. And I'm sure both him and Fish are pi$$ed that someone spilled the info. My assumption is based on who has the need, which is the Rams. They undoubtedly would like to clear the air by moving his overpaid @$$ to another team.

We will never know the truth, and it likely won't happen if they haven't had an offer they like by now. But there is still time and it would not surprise me if it happened even if Cook has a big game this Sunday.
This whole "rumor" thing could well have been orchestrated by Snead and Fisher to put a feeler out there as to what they might be able to get for Cook without tainting the water in the locker room. If they don't here any reasonable offers, they just deny he was ever on the block to begin with and nobody's feelings are hurt. Subsequently, maybe, just maybe, it lights a fire under Cook's bohunkus and he steps up his efforts and production. I'm kind of hoping this scenario is what has just transpired and we will see a different TE the rest of the season.