Secondary Help?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That was my point scifi, Pryor is a SS. We already have a SS in McDonald and what we need is a FS. As in Ha-Ha.
I've never seen anything but highlights of Pryor and I've only seen Ha-Ha once but I've been doing some reading about both of them. So I/they could be wrong too. It's the consensus view that I have though. When I can't see it myself I have to rely on the consensus view of those who have. :coffee:

Pryor has the tools to be either. That's why he's better than HaHa.

I just don't feel Haha is a special player. He's solid, but not special. Pryor can be a serious force in our secondary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Its a little late to sign an impact DB now.
Rams are standing pat via FA and looking to have a stellar draft. I suspect they'll add a few depth guys but otherwise its been like this...[crickets chirping]

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
So, based on your discussion, you two are of the opinion that they will go safety rather than CB?

I respectfully disagree with that premise. They are in DESPARATE need of a 3rd CB (Nickel or otherwise), and there is no way they can draft both positions that early and get the quality they will need. Be it Dennard, Gilbert or Verrett. They will not be there past the 1st round. I would be shocked if they pass on Gilbert or Dennard with the #13 pick. Especially for a Safety.

They just don't put much value at that position. Its been said over and over again. Fisher will always take a CB over a Safety, and in terms of raw numbers, they are shorthanded at CB.
Im not saying they will take a safety in the first, just say that i wish they would. The cb class is immensely deeper that the safety class. I also think with a double trade down we could grab both. Dont think it will happen but I can dream. We are short at FS and CB. I have no jdea what they will do, just know what I prefer.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with this:
So, based on your discussion, you two are of the opinion that they will go safety rather than CB?

I respectfully disagree with that premise. They are in DESPARATE need of a 3rd CB (Nickel or otherwise), and there is no way they can draft both positions that early and get the quality they will need. Be it Dennard, Gilbert or Verrett. They will not be there past the 1st round. I would be shocked if they pass on Gilbert or Dennard with the #13 pick. Especially for a Safety.

They just don't put much value at that position. Its been said over and over again. Fisher will always take a CB over a Safety, and in terms of raw numbers, they are shorthanded at CB.
I don't think either of us said that. Both of us WANT them to draft one of the top two. The Rams FO never listens to Tron and rarely to me. ;)

I'm in total agreement that we have a desperate need at CB. Where we differ is that from everything I've read the CB position in this draft is deep and good. The same can't be said for the S group.

My best case scenario is that they take Ha-Ha in the 1st round (with our second pick) and (after our trade down of our #2 pick) a CB and OG in the 2nd round.

As for them not valuing the S position as much as the CB position, that's an opinion that EVERY team has. That's why the S franchise tag number is so much lower than the CB one.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Im not saying they will take a safety in the first, just say that i wish they would. The cb class is immensely deeper that the safety class. I also think with a double trade down we could grab both. Dont think it will happen but I can dream. We are short at FS and CB. I have no jdea what they will do, just know what I prefer.

Fair enough. But I caution you in limiting your choices to "FS" types. I know most of the posters in here still want to make the distinction, but there is just too much evidence to the contrary when it comes to a Fisher defense. I would expect to see someone in the similar mode to McDonald. When Fisher says he uses his safeties as interchangeable parts, I don't think its just "coach speak".

I see Pryor being a better fit because of that. And, as I have stated more than once, don't sleep on Cody Davis given a year in the system. Either he or Matt Daniels will certainly get every opportunity to compete with McLeod for the starters job.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Fair enough. But I caution you in limiting your choices to "FS" types. I know most of the posters in here still want to make the distinction, but there is just too much evidence to the contrary when it comes to a Fisher defense. I would expect to see someone in the similar mode to McDonald. When Fisher says he uses his safeties as interchangeable parts, I don't think its just "coach speak".

I see Pryor being a better fit because of that. And, as I have stated more than once, don't sleep on Cody Davis given a year in the system. Either he or Matt Daniels will certainly get every opportunity to compete with McLeod for the starters job.
I agree pryor would fit better, which is also why I prefer him over Haha. Pryor can play both and is a thumper. Sounds like a Fisher guy to me. I'm not sleeping on Davis, as we dont know what we have in him though that worries me. Mcleod is still iffy in my eyes, I just don't see him as a starter.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree pryor would fit better, which is also why I prefer him over Haha. Pryor can play both and is a thumper. Sounds like a Fisher guy to me. I'm not sleeping on Davis, as we dont know what we have in him though that worries me. Mcleod is still iffy in my eyes, I just don't see him as a starter.

I posted this in the "McLeod" thread, that I think he is a quality backup, and outstanding core Special Teams guy. This team would be better served with someone else being the starting Safety alongside McDonald. From watching training camp last year, I really like Cody Davis. He is fluid, is bigger, faster than McLeod, and is a much more consistent tackler. While not the classic "big hitter" that so many seem to crave, he GETS GUYS DOWN, which for me is all that matters.

I think with the year under his belt, being in town for the off season, he could be a pleasant surprise to a lot of people who didn't get to see a lot of him last year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I posted this in the "McLeod" thread, that I think he is a quality backup, and outstanding core Special Teams guy. This team would be better served with someone else being the starting Safety alongside McDonald. From watching training camp last year, I really like Cody Davis. He is fluid, is bigger, faster than McLeod, and is a much more consistent tackler. While not the classic "big hitter" that so many seem to crave, he GETS GUYS DOWN, which for me is all that matters.

I think with the year under his belt, being in town for the off season, he could be a pleasant surprise to a lot of people who didn't get to see a lot of him last year.
If Davis does emerge as a nice surprise I wouldnt mind that one bit. Guess the draft will tell us what they think of him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm of the opinion that McLeod is a good backup FS. I thought he was getting better at the end of the season. Better isn't good though.

Why Pryor? Ha-Ha played FS centerfield for Alabama and played fantastically especially against the pass. 6 int and lots of PBs. Pryor had only two INTs and is a harder hitter than Ha-Ha but not as good against the pass. Obviously you think differently. How do you see them?
The biggest problem I have with haha is what I saw at the end of the year where he looked tentative about tackling.

I want someone that can play on the back end and I think either of them can do that just fine, catching the ball on an over throw or getting the tipped pass. But, when you are the last line of defense you have to be a sure tackler, if you are coming up to finish off a guy you need to finish it not just run up there and then stand around watching.

Alan

Legend
blackbart joining the crowd:
I only see 2 picks although there are two games with no stats
Yeah, that's the first one that came up for me too when I googled it. How can you not have stats for two games? Probably has something to do with the fake IRS conspiracy.:LOL: