Secondary Help?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
Anyone else want to see the Rams sign a veteran safety to help provide leadership to the young secondary and possibly move McLeod to corner helping solidify both positions. I am not that impressed with any of the remaining FAs, however Thomas Decoud and Chris Clemons are still out there. I haven't had time to watch any film and see if they would fit in the Rams system, but they seem to be the last two big name safeties that might help.

Alan

Legend
Considering what's out there, I think it would be a wasted CAP hit. Lots of us think that Cody/Mcleod should be given a chance. Myself, I'm hoping we sign one of the top safeties in the draft. Preferably Ha-Ha. Mainly because I want to laugh all year. HaHaHa :LOL:

Rockman

UDFA
Well how much cap room do we have left??? It's easy to say go out there and sign somebody, but the numbers have to be there.

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Considering what's out there, I think it would be a wasted CAP hit. Lots of us think that Cody/Mcleod should be given a chance. Myself, I'm hoping we sign one of the top safeties in the draft. Preferably Ha-Ha. Mainly because I want to laugh all year. HaHaHa :LOL:
Love Ha-Ha's name and gaining more talent in the secondary would be great, but I just can't see adding more young help. I like McLeod and liked the idea of moving him to corner and letting help the corner group adding much needed depth at that position. I just think with how young the secondary is a veteran would be beneficial for the leadership and having someone back there to help get guys lined up.

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
Well how much cap room do we have left??? It's easy to say go out there and sign somebody, but the numbers have to be there.
I'm not sure what the cap space is like, but getting a little bit later in to free agency the prices are a lot more cap friendly. Plus I am not suggesting they go spend big money on one of the remaining FAs just to get one.

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
and actually as I looked through the list of remaining FAs on rotoworld there are more safeties still around then I thought. Guys like Major Wright, Yeremiah Bell, and Ryan Clark

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm really skeptical about moving McLeod to CB I understand he was pushed to nickel CB some by injuries but I'm not convinced he is a good match in that role.

I like Pryor for an addition at Safety and am not really worried about an adjustment to the NFL. There are also some good CBs coming out this year and would be happy with several of them as additions.

The biggest help for the secondary this year maybe Williams and his changes in scheme. Should be a big defensive year.

Alan

Legend
stlrams liking the old guys:
Love Ha-Ha's name and gaining more talent in the secondary would be great, but I just can't see adding more young help. I like McLeod and liked the idea of moving him to corner and letting help the corner group adding much needed depth at that position. I just think with how young the secondary is a veteran would be beneficial for the leadership and having someone back there to help get guys lined up.
Like Giordano last year? That didn't turn out well at all. I would like your thought more if we weren't talking about old, injury waiting to happen over the hill players. In addition, as you mentioned yourself, are these guys SS types which we have no need of? FSs need some speed and I don't trust old guys to not lose a step. I'm an old guy so I know how it goes. :LOL:

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
I love the Williams addition and I am definitely hoping they add a corner in the draft because they still need depth at that position among a few others

Rockman

UDFA
I'd like to draft and develop our next FS. There's two in the draft to target. I like going OL then FS in round one. I am sue sure of the cap space, but that is a factor, and building a team for the long haul, you can't turn to free agency for everything.

nighttrain

Legend
ha ha
train

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
Like Giordano last year? That didn't turn out well at all. I would like your thought more if we weren't talking about old, injury waiting to happen over the hill players. In addition, as you mentioned yourself, are these guys SS types which we have no need of? FSs need some speed and I don't trust old guys to not lose a step. I'm an old guy so I know how it goes. :LOL:
Well Giordano did help in special teams on occasion. You are very right though that most of those guys are over the hill as far the NFL is concerned, there really aren't younger veteran guys still on the market. As far as FS vs SS I hadn't really thought about it, a bit of an oversight on my part. So with that I can still stand by one of my original suggestions and a player that I think could really have a great impact leadership wise and I am curious what he has left in Thomas DeCoud. If they can bring him in on the cheap and use him as a stop gap player for a year or two while McDonald develops and gains experience along with the rest of the secondary I think that could be very beneficial.

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
I'd like to draft and develop our next FS. There's two in the draft to target. I like going OL then FS in round one. I am sue sure of the cap space, but that is a factor, and building a team for the long haul, you can't turn to free agency for everything.
I agree free agency is not the way to build a team, but one or two pieces help alleviate some draft needs so your hand doesn't feel forced come draft day. Plus being able to get a good player here and there to add to young talent doesn't hurt wither.

Rockman

UDFA
I agree free agency is not the way to build a team, but one or two pieces help alleviate some draft needs so your hand doesn't feel forced come draft day. Plus being able to get a good player here and there to add to young talent doesn't hurt wither.

I'd say if we have some caps space, secondary and OL are the best areas to be looking. And FS does look to have some decent options.

Alan

Legend
blackbart doubting McLeod:
I'm really skeptical about moving McLeod to CB I understand he was pushed to nickel CB some by injuries but I'm not convinced he is a good match in that role.

I like Pryor for an addition at Safety and am not really worried about an adjustment to the NFL. There are also some good CBs coming out this year and would be happy with several of them as additions.
I'm of the opinion that McLeod is a good backup FS. I thought he was getting better at the end of the season. Better isn't good though.

Why Pryor? Ha-Ha played FS centerfield for Alabama and played fantastically especially against the pass. 6 int and lots of PBs. Pryor had only two INTs and is a harder hitter than Ha-Ha but not as good against the pass. Obviously you think differently. How do you see them?

scifiman

The rams also have to think about next year and the cap because Robert Quinn will be a free agent after this season. Imperative that we resign him because he will be offered lots of money by some team who has the money to spend if we dont.

scifiman

I'm of the opinion that McLeod is a good backup FS. I thought he was getting better at the end of the season. Better isn't good though.

Why Pryor? Ha-Ha played FS centerfield for Alabama and played fantastically especially against the pass. 6 int and lots of PBs. Pryor had only two INTs and is a harder hitter than Ha-Ha but not as good against the pass. Obviously you think differently. How do you see them?

I would take Ha-ha because of his cover skills and takeaway skills. Getting turnovers wins games.

scifiman

I would take Ha-ha because of his cover skills and takeaway skills. Getting turnovers wins games.

That being said maybe teams threw away from Pryor more. Dont know and dont have game tape like the pros do. And it depends on where they play him. i thought Pryor was more a SS than a FS. I may be wrong.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love HaHa and Pryor but a few more intriguing options can be had a bit later in the draft. Ed Reynolds (Stanford) and Dion Bailey (USC) come to mind. And Terrence Brooks (FSU) maybe.