Secondary Help?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rockman

UDFA
I have read Rams won't sign a Free Agent unless they believe he is more talented than what we already have. Is the gap big enough to justify signing one of the FS's? Are they clearly better than what we have?

Alan

Legend
scifiman riding my wave:
That being said maybe teams threw away from Pryor more. Dont know and dont have game tape like the pros do. And it depends on where they play him. i thought Pryor was more a SS than a FS. I may be wrong.
That was my point scifi, Pryor is a SS. We already have a SS in McDonald and what we need is a FS. As in Ha-Ha.
I've never seen anything but highlights of Pryor and I've only seen Ha-Ha once but I've been doing some reading about both of them. So I/they could be wrong too. It's the consensus view that I have though. When I can't see it myself I have to rely on the consensus view of those who have. :coffee:

Alan

Legend
Ramhusker educating me:
I love HaHa and Pryor but a few more intriguing options can be had a bit later in the draft. Ed Reynolds (Stanford) and Dion Bailey (USC) come to mind. And Terrence Brooks (FSU) maybe.
How do you think they compare to the other two? I've not researched any safeties except the one's I mentioned.

lockdnram21

Legend
to be honest Mcleod got better as 4he season went on. The more comfortable he got the better he did. he was a monster in the last game vs seattle.

A55VA6

Legend
McLeod reacts to the ball pretty quickly, I like his instincts. He is decent at man coverage which helps throwing him in as a nickel corner on occasion which I believe the Rams did last year. Not sure if he can be that true starting FS though. He's more of a role player that provides depth imo. I believe TJ McDonald s the answer at the SS position but he's gotta stay healthy and I want to see more of him.. Would love to get a guy Like HaHa Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. I really like what I see out of those 2 guys in particular.

Alan

Legend
A55VA6 keeping me in suspense:
Would love to get a guy Like HaHa Clinton-Dix or Calvin Pryor. I really like what I see out of those 2 guys in particular.
So you see Pryor as a FS I guess?

Alan

Legend
lockdnram21 with this:
i think hes interchangeable just like mcdonald.
I can't argue about Pryor, even though I disagree with you, because I haven't seen him play. But I can argue with you about McDonald. In college he struggled as a FS and its been more of the same in the pros. I like his play as a SS though. Has some man skills too.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
This entire argument that a S is interchangeable is total B.S. On any given play someone has deep responsibility. Are we going to give that responsibility to McDonald? No. Would we give that responsibility to Pryor? No.

That said; I love McDonald. Love is aggression. Love is skill set.

lockdnram21

Legend
I can't argue about Pryor, even though I disagree with you, because I haven't seen him play. But I can argue with about McDonald. In college he struggled as a FS and its been more of the same in the pros. I like his play as a SS though. Has some man skills too.

he had that play vs saints but i get what your saying

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Love Ha-Ha's name and gaining more talent in the secondary would be great, but I just can't see adding more young help. I like McLeod and liked the idea of moving him to corner and letting help the corner group adding much needed depth at that position. I just think with how young the secondary is a veteran would be beneficial for the leadership and having someone back there to help get guys lined up.

McLeod at CB is not a real good option. He was forced into the nickel role after Finnegan went down and he was NOT very good in coverage. For all the quibbling about the safety position being the reason for the poor play of the secondary, I for one, think it had as much to do with the poor coverage performance of the Nickel CB, be it Finnegan or McLeod.

McLeod's best attribute, is his ability to read and anticipate plays from the SAFETY position. His biggest weakness, IMO, are pure cover skills and being very inconsistent with his tackling.

I have said this in previous posts, but I would not be surprised, and honestly, expect that Cody Davis be give the chance to compete for the other starting safety spot next to McDonald.

I expect them to DRAFT a CB, if not more than one. I also see McGee being given more opportunity to compete for the nickel CB job.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Needs safety help?

images

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Darqueze
Denard do for our new CB?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm of the opinion that McLeod is a good backup FS. I thought he was getting better at the end of the season. Better isn't good though.

Agree with you on Mcleod.

Why Pryor? Ha-Ha played FS centerfield for Alabama and played fantastically especially against the pass. 6 int and lots of PBs. Pryor had only two INTs and is a harder hitter than Ha-Ha but not as good against the pass. Obviously you think differently. How do you see them?

Actually Alan...

2013 stats
Pryor - 3 int's, 4 pbu's
Haha - 2 int's, 3 pbu's(espn says 3 pbu's, others say 4)

2012 stats
Pryor - 2 int's, 5 pbu's
Haha - 5 int's, 4 pbu's(one site said 4 int's and 4 pbu's, another said 9 with 5 ints. I think it was 5 int's, not sure on pbu though)

So statistically in pass defense, They are not as far off it seems.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I can't argue about Pryor, even though I disagree with you, because I haven't seen him play. But I can argue with you about McDonald. In college he struggled as a FS and its been more of the same in the pros. I like his play as a SS though. Has some man skills too.

Now I will never claim to be a scout or anything close to more than an armchair computer video looker upper, but I have watched all the game film(not highlights) that I could find on both Haha and Pryor. Personally I think he can play FS and do a good job at it. I don't argue that Haha is a more pure FS than Pryor, but Pryor is no slouch, and I have read he wasn't asked to do a lot in coverage while at Louisville. I understand people prefer Haha, and I have no problem with that, he is a really good FS, I don't see him as being special though or being that difference maker in the back field(but i could be horribly wrong, I have been many times before when it comes to safeties. I think Pryor could be that special player though that would be great for our team. If we get either of them I will be happy, just prefer Pryor and what he brings to the table and think he could be a great FS.

Alan

Legend
As for being only an "armchair computer video looker upper", that's what I see when I look in the mirror. Much better looking of course. :)

You're the first one I've read that thinks he'll make a good FS and that's good to hear Tron. I'll feel better about the pick if we take him. As for Ha-Ha not being that good, I've been saying for a month now that the S group in this draft is woefully thin and unimpressive. That's why we must, IMO, draft one of the top two. How fast did virtually every S in FA go? That tells me there is a high demand and low supply.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As for being only an "armchair computer video looker upper", that's what I see when I look in the mirror. Much better looking of course. :)

You're the first one I've read that thinks he'll make a good FS and that's good to hear Tron. I'll feel better about the pick if we take him. As for Ha-Ha not being that good, I've been saying for a month now that the S group in this draft is woefully thin and unimpressive. That's why we must, IMO, draft one of the top two. How fast did virtually every S in FA go? That tells me there is a high demand and low supply.

Obviously you are using a picture of Brad Pitt and calling it a mirror:sneaky:

Agree about this safety class, and agree that we should take on of top two. If we dont get one of them I will be sad. I could live with Ward or Buc or Reynolds but they just dont seem like they would be that big of an upgrade over our currents fs's. Dix and Pryor would easily be an improvement.

Alan

Legend
Tron with contradictory stats:
2013 stats
Pryor - 3 int's, 4 pbu's
Haha - 2 int's, 3 pbu's(espn says 3 pbu's, others say 4)

2012 stats
Pryor - 2 int's, 5 pbu's
Haha - 5 int's, 4 pbu's(one site said 4 int's and 4 pbu's, another said 9 with 5 ints. I think it was 5 int's, not sure on pbu though)

So statistically in pass defense, They are not as far off it seems.

Thanks for the clarification concerning the stats Tron. I'm not sure where I got the 6 ints but I just went to 4 different sites and came up with 4 different INT and PBU totals. Here's an example of what I found.
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4606445
JUNIOR: Registered 93 tackles, 13 for loss, three interceptions, and 9 pass breakups.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks for the clarification concerning the stats Tron. I'm not sure where I got the 6 ints but I just went to 4 different sites and came up with 4 different INT and PBU totals. Here's an example of what I found.
http://alabama.scout.com/a.z?s=14&p=8&c=1&nid=4606445
JUNIOR: Registered 93 tackles, 13 for loss, three interceptions, and 9 pass breakups.
I wish the websites werent all different. Would def be nice lol

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Obviously you are using a picture of Brad Pitt and calling it a mirror:sneaky:

Agree about this safety class, and agree that we should take on of top two. If we dont get one of them I will be sad. I could live with Ward or Buc or Reynolds but they just dont seem like they would be that big of an upgrade over our currents fs's. Dix and Pryor would easily be an improvement.

So, based on your discussion, you two are of the opinion that they will go safety rather than CB?

I respectfully disagree with that premise. They are in DESPARATE need of a 3rd CB (Nickel or otherwise), and there is no way they can draft both positions that early and get the quality they will need. Be it Dennard, Gilbert or Verrett. They will not be there past the 1st round. I would be shocked if they pass on Gilbert or Dennard with the #13 pick. Especially for a Safety.

They just don't put much value at that position. Its been said over and over again. Fisher will always take a CB over a Safety, and in terms of raw numbers, they are shorthanded at CB.