Second Fiddle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Never been a Kobe fan

Magic and Jerry West were way better Lakers in my opinion

Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar

And KURT MOTHERFREAKIN' RAMBIS!!!!! were all better "Lakers" than Kobe.

Kobe was a "brand" that played for the Lakers. He may have been the most focused. I'll give him that.

But the best "Laker"?

I'm not sure he'd make the top ten. Seriously... I put James Worthy above Kobe in that regard.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
A lil anal isn't an affair...

I find it hard to believe Kobe got as much as the Rams on the radio....I even heard Fred Roggin talkin Rams and McVay.

Brother...friend... there is no such thing as "a lil anal"... It's either IN or it AIN'T!

Just sayin'... LOL

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Kobe is the fucking man. Favorite player all time and the reason im a Lakers fan. Wish I was more into basketball in his prime so I could have watched him more.

haters gonna hate

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
There has never been a player in the history of the NBA that was permitted to travel like Jordan was. The league allowed it because it was great for the game. It sold tickets and got more viewers.

Also, Jordon didn't win doodly squat until the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons all aged out and his only real competition was the Pacers with Reggie Miller.

I've posited that not only isn't Jordan the GOAT, but he's not even in the top 10.

He didn't redefine a position or how the game is played (beyond cementing the Daniel Stern marketing effort started during Magic and Bird to make the game about stars rather than teams)

He helped usher in the worst era of basketball since the '70s with the focus on the "Iso" play where Jordan or whoever would just go one on one with someone and the other four guys would stand around watching like it was Sunday in the park.

Like Kobe, he didn't really focus on TEAM until very late in his career when not only was the quality down in the NBA, but teams just shat the bed playing them, doing stuff so stupid that they were given a lot of their success. Argue that? What did they win when the Celtics and Pistons made them literally scrap, elbow and fight for every lose ball? Oh, yeah...nothing.

I see him as Bernard King with greater longevity.

There are guys who dominated during times of parity and talent or who redefined their positions. THOSE are the greats.

Jordan is as much marketing and serendipity as he is talent. And he was a tremendous talent, no doubt.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Respect Greatness! Kobe is a Legend. 20 years same team. 5 titles. 3rd greatest point total in NBA history. Great Defender. An assassin/hardest worker of his generation and most clutch. Hates to lose. They don’t make athletes like him anymore. It’s his night. Plus the Lakers stink and the Rams will have the spotlight from next week on. Didn’t know there was this many Kobe haters on this forum. Geesh.
81 points in one game and 60 points his final game as an old man. 5 rings including 2 without Shaq. Pretty amazing numbers and hard for me to hate on him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Also, Jordon didn't win doodly squat until the Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons all aged out and his only real competition was the Pacers with Reggie Miller.

I've posited that not only isn't Jordan the GOAT, but he's not even in the top 10.

He didn't redefine a position or how the game is played (beyond cementing the Daniel Stern marketing effort started during Magic and Bird to make the game about stars rather than teams)

He helped usher in the worst era of basketball since the '70s with the focus on the "Iso" play where Jordan or whoever would just go one on one with someone and the other four guys would stand around watching like it was Sunday in the park.

Like Kobe, he didn't really focus on TEAM until very late in his career when not only was the quality down in the NBA, but teams just shat the bed playing them, doing stuff so stupid that they were given a lot of their success. Argue that? What did they win when the Celtics and Pistons made them literally scrap, elbow and fight for every lose ball? Oh, yeah...nothing.

I see him as Bernard King with greater longevity.

There are guys who dominated during times of parity and talent or who redefined their positions. THOSE are the greats.

Jordan is as much marketing and serendipity as he is talent. And he was a tremendous talent, no doubt.

Sports Illustrated gave Jordan Sportsman of the century. What a crock. Over Babe Ruth no less. The Babe was so much more to baseball and the way the game was played. In another hundred years Ruth will still be talked about. Jordan, not so much.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Sports Illustrated gave Jordan Sportsman of the century. What a crock. Over Babe Ruth no less. The Babe was so much more to baseball and the way the game was played. In another hundred years Ruth will still be talked about. Jordan, not so much.

Jordan over Ruth, Joe Louis or Jesse Owens???

That's some BS right there...

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not a Cal resident and not an NBA fan

Hockey is my winter sport

Don't care
Hockey is a fun sport to watch--especially in person but they never talk hockey on LA sports talk stations--except for the JIm Rome Show on the Mighty 1090 and the Anaheim-based station, the Duck's flagship. I don't think anyone at the other sports stations understand the tactics and strategy of the game.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jordan over Ruth, Joe Louis or Jesse Owens???

That's some BS right there...
I'm old enough to remember an old black and white movie called "Jim Thorpe All American" It starred Burt Lancaster and at the end of the movie the narrator said that the sportswriters of America voted Jim Thorpe the greatest American athlete of the first half of the 20th century. These sportswriters saw the athletes you mentioned compete and put Thorpe first. What ticks me off is that ESPN, who did not witness these athletes decided to put Ruth ahead of Thorpe and then compare Ruth to Jordan. I think Thorpe accomplishments would have skunked Jordan's in any head to head comparison.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There has never been a player in the history of the NBA that was permitted to travel like Jordan was. The league allowed it because it was great for the game. It sold tickets and got more viewers.
Every star player got away with it. Try again.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Never been a fan of selfish players like Kobe. He scored a lot of points because he was an enormous ball hog.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
That must be why Kobe led the Lakers in assists 12 times and had over 6000 in his career. In fact, Lebron James is the only non point guard that has more assists than Kobe. Imagine if he wasn't selfish.

Last edited:

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meanwhile the guy was cheering for the Eagles at the Coliseum when the two teams played.

Can't really fault Kobe for cheering on the Eagles. He played 20 seasons in LA, during the entirety of which there were no LA Rams. When he was drafted, the Rams had left a year prior. And when he retired, the Rams came back a couple months later.

Shit. I just realized. Kobe chased off the Rams like he chased off Shaq!

Flint

Pro Bowler
LA loves an award show and Kobe loves him some Kobe. I saw part of his “dear basketball “ short film which was basically him acknowledging how great he was, never been a huge fan, he always struck me as an enormous jackass but a great player. The fact that they felt they should retire both his numbers seems so fitting yet absurd at the same time.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The amount of butt hurt pettiness in this thread is of epic proportions. That said to think that the LA media isn't going to cover one of the greats of the game having his number retired is just foolish. The Lakers have owned the LA sports scene for decades and will continue to. Deal with it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I keep saying it....

Baseball town
Then The Lakers
Then football.
In the big picture the Rams haven't done much yet.
Kobe is one of the best of all time.
End of story.

There was a time the Rams were at the top or a very close second to the Dodgers. But Showtime in the 80's happened. Then the Rams moved. So yeah, as it stands today your list is accurate. But these Rams today might be moving up the charts soon. It takes time.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Have some Moosehead ya hoser.

My post did seem kinda harsh, lol.

My grandfather played goal for the U of Minnesota back in the 1930's.

Crazy thing is, I'm 100% Southern. Born, raised and live in SEC country.

Just love hockey.

I won a brand new pickup shooting the puck at a game...made a shot from center ice into a tiny hole.

Hockey been berry, berry good to me!