Sean McVay not giving up on Greg Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
IMO coach Bue wasnt able to teach in a way that GRob grasped or fully understood. The new younger coaching staff should be able to get through to GRob in a way that motivates and builds confidence, If McVay cant get GRob excited to play for him at any position then GRob may not be interested in the NFL beyond a paycheck and will be gone after 2017. I'm hopingGRob is around in 2018, because that will only happen if 2017 is a good season for GRob.

I don't think its a case of GRob not being excited, or motivated, or wanting to be great enough than it is his ability to learn. He may be a physically gifted guy but not perhaps a cerebral guy and the style of coaching for him wasn't maybe right. His problem as Bou alluded to is that his feet stop moving when he engages. That's a non-conscious habit that has to be eliminated through 10,000+ reps of doing it consciously and correctly. The problem is - the CBA doesn't allow for that to happen. So he gets into a game and he's still 'thinking'. Under pressure of course the old habit comes back and his form deteriorates further. You can't bench him for a few years these days because he's a first round pick (i.e. a large 'sunk cost' and he's only under contract for a few years) even thought that would be the best way for him to learn. So its really a difficult situation.

What it suggests to me is that you have to draft polished technicians high - not the physical freaks. They no longer improve to be 'football players' in todays NFL with the current CBA which I think needs re-negotiating soon to remedy this problem with guys not being able to get the practice reps - or we need a developmental league again. In the old days GRob might have gone to NFL Europe and learned under a bit less pressure. He could have turned into a perrenial all-pro with his physical gifts.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Consistent reps....
I remember Pace talking about Jim Hanifan. He said Hanifan had them stepping back in pass pro and it was as if they could put their feet in the same footprint every time.

DV hired an excellent coaching staff.

All the Mad Mike fans out there. Just going to DV was extra special. He had some great offenses in KC.
Mad Mike got a first rd pick to take over for DV .Sometimes it's the people you surround yourself around that make you better.Think about all the players that let all the outside things ruin there careers & then A guy like Jerry Rice. Man he still looked like an All Pro before the 2017 SuperBowl in Hall.
Mad Mike got locked out as a coach that was a disgusting thing to see.Then JZ & Linehan letting Isaac Bruuuce walk the Niners.
---That was an Old time Ram that should have never been able to walk.--Make Pace take a pay cut ??Orlando was always holding out & try to jack The Rams up for more $$$.
The Rams WR's & Rams have never been the same without #80. He should be in the Hall .Just thing the number was like $2 million ?? The Rams just gave Sensabaugh how much for a 1/2 season.
---Now I think back about Troy Hill instead of Jay Cutler ?? Make Bulger take less or send him packing. Pay SJ39 or trade him to Dallas for 2 first rounders ?? You can't let Bruce walk if there was ever a true Ram.
Like Jackie Slater & holding him out . They are Ram of Rams. Orlando Pace as well. I just didn't like his agent. Letting young Tucker & Miller go ruined Warner with The Rams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
DV hired an excellent coaching staff.

All the Mad Mike fans out there. Just going to DV was extra special. He had some great offenses in KC.
Mad Mike got a first rd pick to take over for DV .Sometimes it's the people you surround yourself around that make you better.Think about all the players that let all the outside things ruin there careers & then A guy like Jerry Rice. Man he still looked like an All Pro before the 2017 SuperBowl in Hall.
Mad Mike got locked out as a coach that was a disgusting thing to see.Then JZ & Linehan letting Isaac Bruuuce walk the Niners.
---That was an Old time Ram that should have never been able to walk.--Make Pace take a pay cut ??Orlando was always holding out & try to jack The Rams up for more $$$.
The Rams WR's & Rams have never been the same without #80. He should be in the Hall .Just thing the number was like $2 million ?? The Rams just gave Sensabaugh how much for a 1/2 season.
---Now I think back about Troy Hill instead of Jay Cutler ?? Make Bulger take less or send him packing. Pay SJ39 or trade him to Dallas for 2 first rounders ?? You can't let Bruce walk if there was ever a true Ram.
Like Jackie Slater & holding him out . They are Ram of Rams. Orlando Pace as well. I just didn't like his agent. Letting young Tucker & Miller go ruined Warner with The Rams.
Miller and Tucker were hard losses. Especially Tucker.
After we won the Superbowl, everyone wanted our FA's. Guy's like Az Hakim were getting big paydays.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Miller and Tucker were hard losses. Especially Tucker.
After we won the Superbowl, everyone wanted our FA's. Guy's like Az Hakim were getting big paydays.

--I'll add Kevin Carter because he really did well for Jeff Fisher making there defense extra special , with that other freak at DE from U of Florida !! Jevon Kearse.

-- That all said , I want Greg Robinson to grow up , develop , & be an excellent Ram LT .. I think he has all the tools , but just needs to be able to read & understand the directions. Then keep being able to do it all at full speed.

Psycho_X

Legend
He really doesn't have much of a choice. We're basically stuck with Grob another season based on his contract numbers. I hope McVay's offense is a better fit for him at tackle or at worse useable at guard. There's a lot of players I am looking forward to seeing play under new coaches to get a feel for how bad they are or just how bad they were coached so we finally know the answer.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
--I'll add Kevin Carter because he really did well for Jeff Fisher making there defense extra special , with that other freak at DE from U of Florida !! Jevon Kearse.

-- That all said , I want Greg Robinson to grow up , develop , & be an excellent Ram LT .. I think he has all the tools , but just needs to be able to read & understand the directions. Then keep being able to do it all at full speed.
Absolutely. Carter was a very good player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What it suggests to me is that you have to draft polished technicians high - not the physical freaks. They no longer improve to be 'football players' in todays NFL with the current CBA which I think needs re-negotiating soon to remedy this problem with guys not being able to get the practice reps - or we need a developmental league again.

That all said , I want Greg Robinson to grow up , develop , & be an excellent Ram LT .. I think he has all the tools , but just needs to be able to read & understand the directions. Then keep being able to do it all at full speed.

We're basically stuck with Grob another season based on his contract numbers.
I just pop in here from time to time....curious I guess...
If Greg is so terrible...what the hell is Havenstein? Brown??? Barnes??? I don't get that HE's so...mentally challenged....in fact, if he is "slow", then so are the other 7 lineman that suit up...mental miscues are not limited to Greg....missed assignments are on the whole team....See a pattern?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Agreed in the fact Saffold made his mistakes as well. He didn't help make things easier. They did not work as a team which made it extremely tough on him.
Komer said he will know once they put there hand in the sand & he ask a player to change it up . He can see how they take to reps & process the coaching.
I just think the changing of coaching & these guys all going into there 3rd season. Robinson is going into his 4th year & The big question if they give him a 5th year ?? Don't know what his future as a Ram is except . I believe he will be the The Rams starting LT. I question if they keep Saffold ?? I think they should save on salary & get rid of him.

As a team leader Saffold stunk. He threw Goff under the bus & Greg Robinson as well. He is nothing but a loser IMHO .
I think you start by developing these young guys while building a solid structure.

Psycho_X

Legend
I just pop in here from time to time....curious I guess...
If Greg is so terrible...what the hell is Havenstein? Brown??? Barnes??? I don't get that HE's so...mentally challenged....in fact, if he is "slow", then so are the other 7 lineman that suit up...mental miscues are not limited to Greg....missed assignments are on the whole team....See a pattern?

I don't think anyone would argue that our entire offensive line didn't suck across the entirety of it all of last season. The line was never cohesive as a unit and it's hard to say who screwed up the most without knowing assignments and what not. But since this thread is about Grob I'll stick to him, all I know is he got ran by an awful lot on the outside and liked to get those penalties whether deserved or not. His feet are slow whether a byproduct of mental slowness processing a play in time or he just simply doesn't have the muscle twitch speed in his legs I don't know. If it's a mental slowness that was caused by an awful scheme and coaching we might see an improvement. Hard to say but I'm glad we'll get a definitive answer this season.

Well that's basically being stuck with him since that money that is devoted to him is gone whether he's on the roster or not. If he sees no use for Grob I'm sure they'll cut him and move on but obviously Grob isn't the worst o-lineman we have as you said so McVay is stuck with him for one season. The question is can McVay's staff turn him into a LT worthy of the top 2 pick?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Robinson is going into his 4th year & The big question if they give him a 5th year ?? Don't know what his future as a Ram is except . I believe he will be the The Rams starting LT. I question if they keep Saffold ?? I think they should save on salary & get rid of him.

I don't see how the Rams can give Robinson a 5'th year option based on his production & CAP hit. Following the initial free agency period, McVay/Kromer will only have a 3 week evaluation window prior to the draft to run GR and the rest of the team thru their paces, that's not a lot of time to make a decision on whether we may have to draft another OT or OG, and that's if they haven't already made somewhat of a 'blind' decision based on film only during free agency. My question is whether they see a potential pro bowl OG in GRob, or whether he can eventually develop into an average or maybe slightly better than average LT. Being he was a known project coming out of Auburn based on their system, and his questionable future potential as a pass protector, are we just going to fill a hole or are we going to do what's best for the player by using him at his best possible position ? If Robinson is to remain at LT, can he absorb enough training to correct his errant ways under Kromer in the limited timeframe of camp while simultaneously learning an entirely new offensive system being introduced by McVay ?

As a team leader Saffold stunk. He threw Goff under the bus & Greg Robinson as well. He is nothing but a loser IMHO .

Perhaps you can explain this a little better for me. Saffold has been asked to work multiple positions for our team each season for the last 5 years, whether due to another players health or just filling holes. Saffold has almost always outplayed the players he has filled in for or replaced. He's also consistently been our highest graded offensive lineman on the unit. Yes, he's been a serious injury risk at LT, yet some still want him to start at that position over Robinson, which may make some sense from a production only point of view, although rather risky. For little reward, Saffold has done pretty much everything asked of him. I'm also not sure how many believe we save money getting rid of and replacing him with guys like Zeitler, Leary or Warmack, likely asking near double Saffold's current contract price. There are at least 4 other starters on that line which should go before Saffold.
Also, maybe you can fill me in on how/where Saffold threw Goff/Robinson under the bus, as I don't recall reading about that.

Last edited:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
My opinion is that if Robinson is to start at ANY position on the Rams offensive line, it's up to Robinson at this point. He has to own his job, his career, and excel at his craft or wash out. The last three years he has appeared to be packing a bottle of Mr. Bubble in his toolbox rather than some hammers.

2017 is essentially a contract year for Robinson. Does he really want a fifth year, maybe more? Or, is he content finishing this season, collecting his $6mil or whatever and calling it a day? $6mil - taxes still buys a lot of cheeseburgers...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't see how the Rams can give Robinson a 5'th year option based on his production & CAP hit. Following the initial free agency period, McVay/Kromer will only have a 3 week evaluation window prior to the draft to run GR and the rest of the team thru their paces, that's not a lot of time to make a decision on whether we may have to draft another OT or OG, and that's if they haven't already made somewhat of a 'blind' decision based on film only during free agency. My question is whether they see a potential pro bowl OG in GRob, or whether he can eventually develop into an average or maybe slightly better than average LT. Being he was a known project coming out of Auburn based on their system, and his questionable future potential as a pass protector, are we just going to fill a hole or are we going to do what's best for the player by using him at his best possible position ? If Robinson is to remain at LT, can he absorb enough training to correct his errant ways under Kromer in the limited timeframe of camp while simultaneously learning an entirely new offensive system being introduced by McVay ?

Perhaps you can explain this a little better for me. Saffold has been asked to work multiple positions for our team each season for the last 5 years, whether due to another players health or just filling holes. Saffold has almost always outplayed the players he has filled in for or replaced. He's also consistently been our highest graded offensive lineman on the unit. Yes, he's been a serious injury risk at LT, yet some still want him to start at that position over Robinson, which may make some sense from a production only point of view, although rather risky. For little reward, Saffold has done pretty much everything asked of him. I'm also not sure how many believe we save money getting rid of and replacing him with guys like Zeitler, Leary or Warmack, likely asking near double Saffold's current contract price. There are at least 4 other starters on that line which should go before Saffold.
Also, maybe you can fill me in on how/where Saffold threw Goff/Robinson under the bus, as I don't recall reading about that.

With Saffold - I He & Robinson were going at it.They were not on the same page. I can't recall the exact quote. I do know he basically did not hold himself accountable.
Saffold was horrible at RT !!!
LT he got hurt in New Orleans when Robinson was taken of the game day roster.
The quote about Goff at the end of the season after he said remember this feeling . Saffold was saying like good luck with making the team better.He has never won a thing. He is selfish. He is not a good guy to have around the young O'lineman. That is just my opinion. I believe he will get cut .