Sean McVay not giving up on Greg Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Jeff Fisher drafted raw "dumb football players"/athletic over smart/tactician.

this is very true but even if gr is dumb as a post shouldn't they be able to simplify the scheme to help him out some?

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Member when LeCharles Bentley had Robinson all figured out and ready to tackle his demons?:violin:

....its not a coaching problem.

The LeCharles Bentley camp is more along the lines of a conditioning and diet camp as opposed to coaching. I personally think our previous incohesive scheme or lack of is the bigger problem.

A55VA6

Legend
I want to see what Greg can do with an offensive staff and scheme that have their crap together. I still think he's redeemable (if not at OT, at OG).

Feel the same way about Austin.

I don't think Boudreau understood how to coach Greg. JMO.
Do you think he'd be a better Guard or do you think he's still got the potential to be a good LT? I feel like LT might be too much for him to play at a high level in the NFL.

I'd like to hear your opinion on how the Rams could get the most out of GRob.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think he'd be a better Guard or do you think he's still got the potential to be a good LT? I feel like LT might be too much for him to play at a high level in the NFL.

I'd like to hear your opinion on how the Rams could get the most out of GRob.

I don't know. I'll leave that determination to our offensive staff.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
IMO coach Bue wasnt able to teach in a way that GRob grasped or fully understood. The new younger coaching staff should be able to get through to GRob in a way that motivates and builds confidence, If McVay cant get GRob excited to play for him at any position then GRob may not be interested in the NFL beyond a paycheck and will be gone after 2017. I'm hopingGRob is around in 2018, because that will only happen if 2017 is a good season for GRob.

A55VA6

Legend
Remember, Robinson is still only 24 years old. No reason to give up on him yet, could still end up being a good player in the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Remember, Robinson is still only 24 years old. No reason to give up on him yet, could still end up being a good player in the future.

Agreed. I don't know if that's at LT or OG, but there's potential there. I'll see what Kromer can do.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
To quote a media representative at Mcvay's press conference covering the coaching staff, "I keep hearing two things amongst your coaches 'Teaching and Fundamentals'"

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Im pretty much done with Robinson but oh well i wasnt a fan of Bou either, not like he had the best coaches. If Kromer cant get this guy to turn the corner, no one will

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To quote a media representative at Mcvay's press conference covering the coaching staff, "I keep hearing two things amongst your coaches 'Teaching and Fundamentals'"

I think because after watching some tape of the current offensive players they could see they need proper teaching and lack the fundamentals for their position. And the defensive players need to learn how to tackle properly.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Now these are the kind of articles i like, informative and give you a clear idea of what the coaches are thinking about a certain player. So refreshing after 5 years of Fisher bs.

Go to The Rams site. You hear the interviews of some of the coaches.

I think the coaching concepts are going to be totally different . I think on offense they are going to first teach technique ,
& consistent reps.
I think the breaking down of plays will be huge . Not just go block such & such ?? To many times the offense was confused on what they were doing.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
this is very true but even if gr is dumb as a post shouldn't they be able to simplify the scheme to help him out some?

I don't think that GRob is dumb as much as I think he just doesn't have football instincts. For example, when DE's rush straight into him, he should lower his hips and anchor against the Bull rush, but sometimes he remains more upright and gets blown back into the QB. You can teach people a technique until your blue in the face but they have to have the instincts to know when to apply them. Another example which was telling to me was last year, preseason in St Louis.... the play went to the right.... GRob stood there across from the RDE and did nothing..... when the RDE realized the play was going to the other side of the field he bolted down the LOS and got in on the play. GRob just stood there and did nothing. Football instincts would have told you to engage the defender and seal him off from getting to the ball carrier.

IMO, what GRob doesn't have, can't be taught.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Lots of interesting points/ideas in this thread. I will not give up on Grob until Kromer works with him.....then I will accept whatever outcome/decision is made. A different coach may be able to produce different results. I thought our OL play was worse this year than last, so it wasn't only GRob who regressed or played poorly. Except for Saffold the rest of the OL have only had 1 coach in the nfl.......let's give Kromer a chance to work with these guys.

Debacled

Starter
The LeCharles Bentley camp is more along the lines of a conditioning and diet camp as opposed to coaching. I personally think our previous incohesive scheme or lack of is the bigger problem.

Its billed as a technique and coaching clinic. Yes, he does conditioning and training as well, but not with his linemen clients. He put out a video midway through the 2015 season and Robinson actually shared it (forget if it was on twitter or where) outlining major technique flaws and boasting about how he could fix them.

Scheme doesn't cause his balance issues or force him to lunge to make blocks. He is a big man with great athletic ability, but he doesn't play with great balance and it almost looks like his brain and body aren't on the same page quite often. He bullied people in college, and you cannot do that in the pros. The lack of any progress is discouraging to say the least.

And for what its worth, he came into came somewhat overweight and out of shape as well.....so if thats what Bently did work on they did a poor job with that as well.

He is young, but at the same time guys like him cost coaches jobs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If you're talking about simplifying the scheme for a guy who has 3 seasons under his belt you are wasting your staff's time.

Give him a look this time around in camp, sure. Try him at guard if you want, ok. But make him effin earn anything he gets from a roster spot to third string. And if he doesn't, you cut his overrated @$$ and make a statement to the team that playing time is not a given.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Grob is the epitome of the saying " all the gear and no idea "

He has a year at least to prove it to the new coaching staff hope he takes the chance I just can't see it as other has said it's a mental thing for him not a physical issue

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you're talking about simplifying the scheme for a guy who has 3 seasons under his belt you are wasting your staff's time.

How come all the "dumb players" seem to be on offense? (Hate using that word, but making a point)

GRob, Tavon, Quick... etc.

All players are given their assignments for every play/scenario we are setting up.

After years of different guys being unsuccessful in Fisher's offense... I'm agreeing that some players are quicker on their feet than others... but I'm not tossing out the possibility the new offense could involve concepts that just click a little easier for these guys.

We've seen other teams plug-and-play guys much easier than we've seen with the Rams.

IMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
After years of different guys being unsuccessful in Fisher's offense... I'm agreeing that some players are quicker on their feet than others... but I'm not tossing out the possibility the new offense could involve concepts that just click a little easier for these guys.

No doubt. I am simply no longer holding out hope that Tavon's gonna develop into a real wideout. Or that Kendricks will stop dropping passes. Or that GRob is going to figure it out.

That ship has sailed for me brother. But I do hope I'm wrong and by all means keep carryin that flag for them. The guys I have hope for now are Goff, Gurley, Higbee, Cooper, Spruce etc. Higs was about on par for a normal rook at the TE position and should be ready to do something year two. Coop got hurt, but seemed to NOT be the typical dumb player like those you listed. I also believe Spruce will be a very good possession wideout in this offense once this staff gets a look at him. Smart players, not dumb athletes, tend to elevate under smart staffs and this roster on offense is gonna see some serious churn as McVay replaces the dumb athletes. IMO.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Three pages on "GRob, can he play LT?" Let me point out the last six games of 2015. GRob commited NO holding or illegal procedures, gave up no sacks and picked up his blitzing man. GRob was a better than average LT the last six games of '15. I don't thin it was just chance that Garrett Reynolds just happened to be playing next to him those last six games, he was GRob's "coach on the field".

GRob's new tattoo: "When I do good no one remembers, When I do bad no one forgets".

If Kromer can't turn him around he's probably done at LT.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Go to The Rams site. You hear the interviews of some of the coaches.

I think the coaching concepts are going to be totally different . I think on offense they are going to first teach technique ,
& consistent reps.
I think the breaking down of plays will be huge . Not just go block such & such ?? To many times the offense was confused on what they were doing.
Consistent reps....
I remember Pace talking about Jim Hanifan. He said Hanifan had them stepping back in pass pro and it was as if they could put their feet in the same footprint every time.