Sean McVay not giving up on Greg Robinson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-part-team-plans-sean-mcvay-says?sf55706685=1

Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

G. Newman Lowrance/AP Photo

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick who has struggled at left tackle throughout his three-year career, remains "a big part" of the Los Angeles Rams' plans moving forward, new coach Sean McVay said Friday.

McVay did not specify whether Robinson would remain at left tackle, but he did praise his talent.

"When you see some of the things he's able to do, you see the athleticism in space when he's pulling around and using some of those perimeter schemes that they did offensively last year," McVay said during a news conference from the team facility, which followed a meet-and-greet with his new assistant coaches.

"He's a guy that we're excited to get around. That's why it's frustrating that we have to wait so long to get these guys in the building, see them on the grass."

Robinson has committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the past two years. In 2016, Pro Football Focus graded him 71st among 78 qualified tackles. He was benched on two separate occasions this past season, when the entire offensive line struggled to protect rookie quarterback Jared Goff and create space for running back Todd Gurley.

There was some thought the Rams might simply part ways with Robinson, who will cost about $6.8 million toward the salary cap in 2017, but it appears the new staff is not ready to do that.

New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who spent the past two years with the Buffalo Bills, said Robinson has shown "flashes of skills" to remain an NFL left tackle.

"Now, why it's not consistent, I can't answer that; I don't know," Kromer said. "When I can work with a player and get my hands on him and be outside and ask him to do something and ask him to do it again and ask him to adjust something, then I know what we can do with him, how we can fit him in the offense.

But until then, on tape -- I don't know what he was told. I kind of know what he was supposed to do, but I don't know what his mindset was. I don't know it with any of them. So, I'm just looking for individual skills, like a scout."

At 6-foot-5, 332 pounds, Robinson is surprisingly athletic and has the skills to play left tackle, something that was obvious when he came out of Auburn in 2014 but just hasn't clicked yet in the NFL.

The Rams' previous offensive line coach, Paul Boudreau, spoke during the season about Robinson's inconsistent mechanics.

"He's all over the place with his feet, he's all over the place with his hands," Boudreau said. "And when he gets in trouble, when he stops his feet, he grabs, and he gets those holding penalties that you really don't need. So, he's got to concentrate on focusing on the little things."

The Rams could try moving Robinson to guard, where he can more freely utilize his power. But the best pending free agents are guards, a list that includes Kevin Zeitler, T.J. Lang and Larry Warford. Andrew Whitworth, a 35-year-old former second-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals, is one of few notable left tackles eligible for free agency.

An in-house option at the position, besides Robinson, could be Rodger Saffold, who was perhaps the Rams' best offensive lineman last year.

Asked about transitioning to guard shortly after the Rams concluded a 4-12 season, Robinson said: "It's not really something that I'm just going to accept, because I'm so used to playing tackle. It would be hard to adjust. But if I have to adjust, that will be something that I will do."

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
It's a damn shame GRob has been labeled a bust when in fact it might be the total opposite. Regardless McVay is the general now and him saying good about GRob, we might see a hell of a turnaround for him and possibly others who may have had problems prior. We will see. Good article...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I want to see Robinson continue to work hard this off season, in fact all of the rooster should be preparing like they don't have jobs.

I don't understand why the Rams and Robinson in articular seemed to get an unfair number of calls that other teams and players just didn't get. I saw some of the penalties called against him and they were just total garbage calls. Others he was out of control, beaten badly and had no choice but to grab. I can live with a few penalties no one goes the entire season without getting flagged on the oline but I want to see the domination in the run game that goes along with some of those penalties to make him worth keeping after 2017

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
He hasn't had a coach, hopefully he has one now who isn't just collecting a check and can actually teach him something.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-part-team-plans-sean-mcvay-says?sf55706685=1

Rams' Sean McVay not giving up on ex-No. 2 pick Greg Robinson
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

i

G. Newman Lowrance/AP Photo

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Greg Robinson, the former No. 2 overall pick who has struggled at left tackle throughout his three-year career, remains "a big part" of the Los Angeles Rams' plans moving forward, new coach Sean McVay said Friday.

McVay did not specify whether Robinson would remain at left tackle, but he did praise his talent.

"When you see some of the things he's able to do, you see the athleticism in space when he's pulling around and using some of those perimeter schemes that they did offensively last year," McVay said during a news conference from the team facility, which followed a meet-and-greet with his new assistant coaches.

"He's a guy that we're excited to get around. That's why it's frustrating that we have to wait so long to get these guys in the building, see them on the grass."

Robinson has committed an NFL-leading 31 total penalties over the past two years. In 2016, Pro Football Focus graded him 71st among 78 qualified tackles. He was benched on two separate occasions this past season, when the entire offensive line struggled to protect rookie quarterback Jared Goff and create space for running back Todd Gurley.

There was some thought the Rams might simply part ways with Robinson, who will cost about $6.8 million toward the salary cap in 2017, but it appears the new staff is not ready to do that.

New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who spent the past two years with the Buffalo Bills, said Robinson has shown "flashes of skills" to remain an NFL left tackle.

"Now, why it's not consistent, I can't answer that; I don't know," Kromer said. "When I can work with a player and get my hands on him and be outside and ask him to do something and ask him to do it again and ask him to adjust something, then I know what we can do with him, how we can fit him in the offense.

But until then, on tape -- I don't know what he was told. I kind of know what he was supposed to do, but I don't know what his mindset was. I don't know it with any of them. So, I'm just looking for individual skills, like a scout."

At 6-foot-5, 332 pounds, Robinson is surprisingly athletic and has the skills to play left tackle, something that was obvious when he came out of Auburn in 2014 but just hasn't clicked yet in the NFL.

The Rams' previous offensive line coach, Paul Boudreau, spoke during the season about Robinson's inconsistent mechanics.

"He's all over the place with his feet, he's all over the place with his hands," Boudreau said. "And when he gets in trouble, when he stops his feet, he grabs, and he gets those holding penalties that you really don't need. So, he's got to concentrate on focusing on the little things."

The Rams could try moving Robinson to guard, where he can more freely utilize his power. But the best pending free agents are guards, a list that includes Kevin Zeitler, T.J. Lang and Larry Warford. Andrew Whitworth, a 35-year-old former second-round pick by the Cincinnati Bengals, is one of few notable left tackles eligible for free agency.

An in-house option at the position, besides Robinson, could be Rodger Saffold, who was perhaps the Rams' best offensive lineman last year.

Asked about transitioning to guard shortly after the Rams concluded a 4-12 season, Robinson said: "It's not really something that I'm just going to accept, because I'm so used to playing tackle. It would be hard to adjust. But if I have to adjust, that will be something that I will do."

Now these are the kind of articles i like, informative and give you a clear idea of what the coaches are thinking about a certain player. So refreshing after 5 years of Fisher bs.

jap

Legend
GRob without question possesses the requisite foot quickness & speed. However, he needs to be fundamentally sound and has to upgrade his mental "quickness & speed."

I'm glad McVay's regime isn't going to just throw him away. You have to evaluate whether it is feasible to invest a reasonable amount of time this off-season to begin the road to maximizing GRob's natural gifts before you elect to let someone else have a crack at him. Throwing away players who are salvaged into workable or even star talents is such a tragic waste of time & talent.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's going to be interesting to see what transpires with GRob. He finally will be playing for competent offensive coaches with a coherent scheme, and hopefully the blocking scheme implemented by Kromer will suit his talents. If he can't make it then, he walks next year. But I'm not ready to give up on him until we see what he does with new coaches, because he hasn't had good ones during his time here, and the play of the other OLinemen can attest to that.

…..

Legend
McVay wont be the 1st to not give up on Greg Robinson.

Really not much news here, theres not alot of choices to make. He's under contract and wont be cut. Much more prudent to keep him and continue to coach him up. His FA replacement would be alot more expensive. We have other, not necesarily bigger, fish to fry here. Its the hand hand McVay was dealt. He needs to play it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have a big issue with Robinson being considered a candidate for starting @ Left Tackle again. I was under the impression that McVay wanted to help Goff improve to build him up to lead this team in his role as HC:thinking:. Going into this season with the ideal of Robinson as a starting OLT will give me instant heartburn:sick:. Now if McVay has plans for Robinson to earn the swing OT role that's fine.

If McVay has plans to try to beg Robinson to muster up some effort to compete to learn to be a starting LG in his offense I will have to tolerate that. But I don't believe for one minute that Robinson has any desires to play OG for the Rams. Waste of precious time & energy o_OIMO. I never want to see:huh: #73 back as our starting OLT again unless its an emergency.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to see what Greg can do with an offensive staff and scheme that have their shit together. I still think he's redeemable (if not at OT, at OG).

Feel the same way about Austin.

I don't think Boudreau understood how to coach Greg. JMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've pretty much moved on from hoping GRob is going to figure it out. And I don't like the way he answers questions, something ain't right with that dude. But I'd love to be proven wrong, and I will admit that his seeking of help the other offseason tells me he cares, or I hope he does.

Been saying LT is going to be Saffold and whoever fits best on the depth chart this season. Can't fix everything in one offseason, play the strengths of FA and the draft which will allow for them to quickly overhaul the interior of this line.

Time to get away from the physical freaks and get some technicians in here we can count on. Some guys who can give our kid QB a clean pocket and allow him to grow, not some jackass whose head is so far up his posterior he's got no idea wtf is going on in real time. It's game over for GRob, at least with the Rams. IMO.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Virtually no chance the Rams exercise their fifth year option on Robinson, meaning it's one and done with this regime if the light doesn't come on.

I wasn't crazy about our coaches either, but mental miscues fall on the player.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I've always pulled for him to get it, but I've kind of seen enough for me...The coaches obviously know far, far more than I do so I'll see where it goes from here..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not giving up on GRob, but it is concerning to hear comments today about his skills that sound the same since draft day.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Coaching is about technique and scheme ... but it is also about being able to motivate a player/players to bring out the best in themselves. Some people are good with only certain aspects of coaching. Could be Boudreau wasn't good at all facets of his position, just like some players aren't. Some guys get it all put together easily.... others NEED that extra bit of "help" from someone to realize and reach their full potential. You have to make them BELIEVE in themselves and their abilities and potential going forward. And just like some players ... not all coaches are good at all 3 phases of their jobs.

Hopefully Kromer is good at all three facets of his job. It's not just GRob .. .but pretty much our whole OL came out of college with pretty decent resumes and scouting reports. they did nothing to reach their potential under the past regime. Actually ... they regressed. So that tells me it was just as much the coaching as it was the players. Personally, what I would like to see happen is to bring in the best OC and OG we can in FA and keep developing the young guys we have. A competent staff with a competent scheme , combined with that extra special ability to bring out the best in their players could go a long, long ways.

Too many times we have let guys go because "they never developed" yet they go somewhere else and at the very least contribute for the other team.

fearsomefour

Legend
He has great athleticism but bad balance. He has power but bad technique.
It makes it easier to keep Grob given the lack of options at LT.
That said, it would be foolish to cut him now. Why dump him if there is no cap savings to be had by the move?
Sign a FA G, draft a G and keep Grob at LT would be my approach.
No way of knowing if Grob was resistant to coaching or if Coach Bo was not able to communicate with him. For someone with multiple technique issues.....man, start with basics. His set and first step.....over and over and over, then move to the next issue.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
It's all between the ears with Robinson. He's got all the physical tools needed.
I'd add to this asking... does he really want to play? Some guys find out what the NFL is all about and don't have the desire to put in the time to properly prepare each week. Going through the motions? It will be very evident with the new staff whether he wants to play when he shows up for OTAs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams had 13 offensive holding penalties, of which Robinson had 6. We were tied for 4th worst with 25 false start penalties, of which Robinson had 3. We were also third worst with 126 penalties total. Greg Robinson accounted for 11 of those.

And thus here in lies all of Robinson's issues and I know @BonifayRam would agree that from the neck up Robinson is worth a dime. Aaron Kromer IMHO is one of the elite offensive line coaches in the game and if he can't fix Robinson, nobody can.

Not crazy about playing Saffold at LT because of durability issues I doubt the Rams will be able to sign Whitworth, so what are the Rams to do? It's obvious Robinson would rather play Tackle and at times you can see the athleticism, but until Robinson makes a commitment to the film room besides the weight room, he'll continue to struggle to pick up stunts and patterns of defensive ends, IMHO.