Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Here's the rub though. If Wells accepted a pay cut, you would think he'd want some of his 2014 pay to be guaranteed. This could be the reason why the Rams haven't even approached him.

Either he starts, in which case they don't really need the money so they can pay him what he was due this season, building good faith in the process.

Or Barrett Jones comes to camp, beats him out of a job, and the Rams save themselves $4.5M.

RustyRay

Rookie
I am glad the team has him, they seem to be okay with his cap # and can afford it. I prefer him at C until Jones proves he can do it or is ready to take over. The Rams Oline has played its best when Wells has been at C, I think his experience will be very valuable with a rookie LG next to him.

I think he will have to redo his deal after this season, but outside of injury I think he is the starting C this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The Rams five starting OL'ers cap hit in 2014.

#1-OLT-Jake Long 12 million
#2-OC-Scott Wells 6.5 million
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap/

#3-ORG-Rodger Saffold 4 million
#4-OLG-Greg Robinson 4 million
#5-ORT Joe Barksdale 645 K
Approx. Total 2014 cap hit= 27mil plus

Other Ram signed Centers
Barrett Jones $606 K
Tim Barnes $570 K
Mike Person $645 K
Demetrius Rhaney ?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Good stuff flv ...how enticing would that 5.5 million put back into the Ram bank be?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Yes.

Here's the thing though, if the Rams didn't expect Wells to come into camp to compete for a job and knew they were going to cut him, they could have already designated him a post June 1st cut, just like what the Cowboys did with Miles Austin.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Good stuff flv ...how enticing would that 5.5 million put back into the Ram bank be?

At this point there's not much to spend it on, though we can roll that savings into next year if they do decide to cut ties.

That kind of flexibility could allow us to front load the first year of a free agent contract for someone next offseason.

What it really comes down to at this point is if they think we're better this season with Scott Wells on the line, because this cap savings isn't going to do much to help us out this year.

BeerOClock

Rookie
Two years in a row this line played it's best when Wells was in the lineup.

This.

Last time I checked, the Rams were comfortably under the cap and in the process of putting together the best offensive line possible.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
This.

Last time I checked, the Rams were comfortably under the cap and in the process of putting together the best offensive line possible.

Isn't it feasible that the best OL may feature Barrett Jones as the starting center?

BeerOClock

Rookie
When you weigh the fact that the Rams line played better with Wells vs. a fourth round pick that hasn't stepped onto an NFL field, I'd say it's a very remote possibility.

Don't get me wrong. I've watched tons of tape on Barrett Jones when at Alabama and really liked what I saw. I'm a big supporter of the Rams drafting him where they did--nice value pick. I do believe Barrett Jones will be a starting center some day, especially under the guidance of Boudreau.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to see what B. Jones is capable of at the NFL level before placing his ability to perform above that of Wells?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sure, but your sentiment in your previous post doesn't suggest that. You were suggesting that he's simply not being relied upon to be the starting center and it's only a matter of time before he is gone.

If that were the case it would have happened by now is all I'm saying. If he gets to camp and they don't think he is going to start or gets hurt then you might see one of those situations play out...but my guess is the coaching staff is expecting Wells to be the starting center.

My sentiment is minus a paycut he's gone. Minus Fisher, the coaching staff has little to do with this side of the business, but time will tell.

Another thing to think about is if he gets to camp and gets injured, the Rams are stuck with the money he is owed this season.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Don't you think it would be a good idea to see what B. Jones is capable of at the NFL level before placing his ability to perform above that of Wells?

Yes, that's what training camp and the preseason is for.

I'll be surprised if you don't hear about Jones working with the ones early in camp and seeing time with the one during all four preseason games. If he doesn't Wells is a lock to start at center for the season opener.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
My sentiment is minus a paycut he's gone. Minus Fisher, the coaching staff has little to do with this side of the business, but time will tell.

Another thing to think about is if he gets to camp and gets injured, the Rams are stuck with the money he is owed this season.

I guess we will see. I just don't understand why the team would wait to make the paycut happen. It seems like they'd have less leverage to ask for a paycut if Wells wins the starting job...but if they had done it already it wouldn't be an issue.

Sure seems to me the Rams are stating they have 4 of 5 starters coming back to the offensive line. To me that clearly states they see Scott Wells as the starter.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Isn't it feasible that the best OL may feature Barrett Jones as the starting center?

I'm thinking that Barrett Jones (aside: I like that the dude has my last name and the first name of a .50 cal sniper rifle...just sayin') will probably see some time in training camp and preseason at Center. Better to keep Wells this season, get Jones some seasoning, and then cut the ties with Wells after this season. Just my .02

BeerOClock

Rookie
Yes, that's what training camp and the preseason is for.

Neither have started, but yet you've already got Jones near equal with Wells for getting the starting job.

Seems you're doing the exactly same thing with Barrett Jones as many did last year with Rok Watkins. B. Jones still has a lot to prove before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Wells. Once he has done something that shows he can compete at a starting NFL level, we can talk then.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sure think so.

Neither have started, but yet you've already got Jones near equal with Wells for getting the starting job.

Seems you're doing the exactly same thing with Barrett Jones as many did last year with Rok Watkins. B. Jones still has a lot to prove before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Wells. Once he has done something that shows he can compete at a starting NFL level, we can talk then.

Very true...Jones has done & proved Nothing. No worry the bar set by Scott Wells is not all that high in many areas. Yes Wells was a well seasoned solid center before he signed with the Rams, however since his signing Wells has proved ....he was not worth his cost....he can get injured in the first game of a Ram season...he can get placed on the IR every season he has played for the Rams.... proved he can break bones in his lower leg each season as a Ram.....he has proved he can have some kind of leg surgeries each year as a Ram.....he has proven he can have several rehabbing events every season as a Ram......Well is once again entering his third Ram season where he will enter TC completing a rehabbing event from a Surgery......three straight Ram early seasons in a row .......Wells as a Ram has proved a lot just how much of it is good?

Not sure Barrett Jones has all that much to prove if he is expected to push Scott Wells @ center.

BeerOClock

Rookie
LOL! He has to prove he can play as well as Scott Wells, which he hasn't even come close.

I'm extremely glad you're not the coach of the Rams. By your skewed logic, Brandon Washington should start at OG getting rid of Roger Saffold's large contract and Austin Davis should start at QB getting rid of Bradford's large contract.

Scott Wells has played in 35 of his last 48 games and has been selected to the Pro Bowl during this time. When on the field, he has played well for the Rams.
Sam Bradford has played in 33 of his last 48 games. When on the field, he has played well for the Rams, though he hasn't been selected for a Pro Bowl.
Rodger Saffold has played in 31 of his last 48 games. When on the field, he has played well for the Rams, though he hasn't been selected for a Pro Bowl.

I've got a great idea. Let's have the Rams groom Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes for the second-team center slot and may the better man win. Once determined, they use the winner as a reliable back-up to the more talented and more experienced Scott Wells. Maybe they'll even learn something from Wells. Should Wells get injured again, then insert the better of Barnes or B. Jones as a replacement.

I'd like to think of my idea as original, but unfortunately Jeff Fisher has already thought of it.

Last edited: