Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Sam also know the offense a LOT better now, and that could be put back on him.
Very true. Sam has been with Brian for awhile now, and seeing how he was injured this season it's obvious he was constantly studying.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If he's healthy, he plays well, the problem is he's missed quite a few games. I don't see him around by next year, but this season, he'll be a starter as long as he is healthy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's a lot easier to like the guy when he's on the field. He should be a Ram this year. But next year?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I hope it is Barret Jones....I can't believe he is 'so' weak that he can't play center; He didn't get through the SEC without some strength/tenacity.
I know he was a little weak, but Wells is still so much better.....??? I don't think B Jones needs inspiration, but he hasn't earned something
in Bou's eyes....that is surprising...Maybe they are giving Wells every chance to succeed....

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jones was surrounded by other great college level Olinemen. That could have helped hide any weaknesses. Even in the NFL you don't have to have 5 very good players on the line for it to be a great line. Even the best Olines often only have 2-3 great ones. But it makes the entire line play well when you have three guys that most often handle their assignment without help. The weaker links then have less responsibility because the guys next to them don't need help.

I have brought this up before, but will say it again. I recall how much harder Incognitos job was when Goldberg would play ORT. Richie would block his guy and try to help Adam with his at the same time. It's tough to drive block on a run play when your right arm is extended out grabbing a DE when you have a DT in front of you.

I hope this isn't the case with Jones. I want the Rams to have a very good center. It appears to be the last piece to the Oline puzzle for the next year or two, until they lose either Long or Barksdale, move Robinson to OLT, move Long to ORT or release him and then need a Guard.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
When Wells is on the field he is a great front line general, has his weaknesses but also has his strengths, health has been his downfall in the last couple of seasons, it would be nice to see him healthy for a whole season - I have high hopes for Barrett Jones though... he's clever, big, has had a year to study and strengthen, could be a dark horse for us....

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Health is the only concern with Wells. If he is healthy, he is our best option. Like any position in the NFL, if you can't stay on the field, you are a liability to the team, no matter how good or popular a player.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO the Rams like Wells making the line calls and he was having a very good year until another injury. Wells never missed time before he became a Ram and now two years in a row. Tim Barnes is more of a shotgun center from a spread offense and not used to pounding the rock and he really struggled against the likes of the 49ers and Seahawks, but who didn't?

Wells is the Rams best option IMO unless Barrett Jones just outplays him and Rhaney really impresses I don't see Wells being cut unless the Rams can add a player of significance and need the cap room.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Not necessarily. Plenty of contract restructures or releases have happened during the final cutdown process for older veterans.
Sure, but your sentiment in your previous post doesn't suggest that. You were suggesting that he's simply not being relied upon to be the starting center and it's only a matter of time before he is gone.

If that were the case it would have happened by now is all I'm saying. If he gets to camp and they don't think he is going to start or gets hurt then you might see one of those situations play out...but my guess is the coaching staff is expecting Wells to be the starting center.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Why wait to cut him? Why not cut him before the beginning of free agency so we could have made another move? What if Barrett Jones isn't good enough? Are you comfortable with Tim Barnes?

If he's cut after June 1st they can spread the dead money over multiple seasons and save money against the cap.

Also, if Barrett Jones clearly outplays Wells they can cut him and distribute the cap room saved to next season if they don't sign anybody else.

Basically if Wells doesn't hold onto the starting gig through the start of the season, I think he'll be gone.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If that were the case it would have happened by now is all I'm saying. If he gets to camp and they don't think he is going to start or gets hurt then you might see one of those situations play out...but my guess is the coaching staff is expecting Wells to be the starting center.

That's speculation. They don't know what they have in Barrett Jones right now having very limited opportunities to see him in pads after his apparent body re-construction.

They could be hoping Jones emerges as the starting C but have kept Wells around as a fallback option if Jones doesn't cut the mustard. After all, Wells is a better starting option than Tim Barnes.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
That's speculation. They don't know what they have in Barrett Jones right now having very limited opportunities to see him in pads after his apparent body re-construction.

They could be hoping Jones emerges as the starting C but have kept Wells around as a fallback option if Jones doesn't cut the mustard. After all, Wells is a better starting option than Tim Barnes.
Of course it's speculation. Isn't that what were all doing here?

Just seem logical to me that if Wells was simply their fall back option they'd have gone to him about a pay it already. If thy already were planning on Wells being the fallback wouldn't they have tried to get him at a reduced rate instead of staying put with starters money?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Because we don't need the money for anything right now.

If you're Scott Wells, why would you accept a pay cut? He's getting paid whether he's on the team or not this season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Scott Wells when healthy is a decent smart veteran OL who was badly needed two seasons ago to bring his vast experience & settle down the patched together Ram OL. Rams paid big ...overpaid IMO. Two years has gone by could anyone argue that he has fulfilled what the Rams purchased? What have we learned the last two seasons that would bring hope to this Ram OL improvement if Wells remains our starters? would he be a good deal....but he is a very high cost Ram OL'er. Could the 4.5 million cap savings if released in the first week of the season be better spent elsewhere like a veteran LB'er or a veteran swing OT?

Now in this 2014 Ram OL the Rams have three set OL positions with a 7yr, 5 yr & 4yr vets as starters, same 3 who were starters in 2013. Just One super talented rookie has been added as a starter. Rams have added a veteran ex all pro Joseph to the interior, have 4 yr vets Tim Barnes & Mike Person who can play any interior position too. Rams added interior OL'er Barrett Jones last yr & red-shirted him, but they have some serious plans for Barrett @ center. Then they went out & drafted a super quick & fast center Demetrius Rhaney who sure looks like a keeper too. 5 deep @ Center??? Whats up with that?

Maybe its because of this: Wells was signed early 2012 & he then had his 1st surgery on his knee along with a rehab event, knee never fully healed but started his first game however before he could finish the first half of his first Ram game he broke his foot was IR'd for 8 weeks & missed 7 NFL games. After his second rehabbing event during his first practice back from IR he injured the same knee he had surgery on in March but he returned. Wells was only able to finish 6 games in 2012.

Early 2013 just like in 2012 Wells had his 2nd knee surgery to the same leg that he had two surgeries on in 2012. After his third rehabbing event Wells held up for 12 games until he broke his lower leg Wells finished 11 games for the Rams.

In conclusion since his signing in 2012 Wells had been IR'd twice 2012 & 2013. Wells has only been able to finish 17 games out of 32. Since his signing he has had three surgeries & four rehabbing events. He has had 3 injuries Knee/foot/Lower leg all within 21 months. Wells will be 34 yrs old before the 2014 season concludes.

Wells will cost the Rams 6.5 mil for another turn at a Ram season. What has the last two years learned us about Wells? What about the above information would make us think that this OL would be assisted & improve the future Ram OL's? What now says to us that you can depend on Wells to remain healthy? What happened to the 2012 & 2013 Ram OL's as a result in all these Wells missed games & injuries & OL shifts? In 2012 when Wells went down the Rams lost not only their starting center they lost their starting OLG we saw Rok Watkins come in and get inured & IR'd then Ojinnaka was signed and started several games that was a disaster till Smith took over after the bye but was no peach himself all due to one broken foot on Wells! I Guess I already know why Boudreau is 5 deep @ center.

Last edited:

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I am just hoping that the Oline gels AS ONE. Don't care who plays where, but rather all five linemen play as one unit.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Yep, I double checked and you're right. I thought his base was guaranteed for the duration but that was only for 2012-13.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am just hoping that the Oline gels AS ONE. Don't care who plays where, but rather all five linemen play as one unit.

I agree however ....When in 2013 your Rams OL has 3 different starters @ OLT. 2 different starters @ OLG, 3 different starters @ ORG and 2 different starters @ OC......hard to arrive @ your "OL gels AS ONE" destination. It was twice as bad in 2012 where Boudreau OL starters fell like sprayed skeeters.

Boudreau has three current starters @ OLT-OC & ORG who have several years of recent extensive back to back IR events injury/surgery history's hard to gel with OL'ers like this.