Scott Wells

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I know he hasn't really played to his contract. As Rams fans we have learned big time free agents rarely do. What I like about Wells is his ability with the line calls. The offensive line as a unit seems to be more productive when he starts. So I thing he does a good job leading the group. Physically he leaves a lot to be desired. My question is, how much better will he look sandwiched between Saffold and Robinson for 16 games? I mean that has to help. Saffold looked like an all-pro OG last year and Robinson is an athletic freak who put people on skates in college. Playing between those 2 is a lot nicer than playing between Dahl and Williams/Smith. Thoughts?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I know he hasn't really played to his contract. As Rams fans we have learned big time free agents rarely do. What I like about Wells is his ability with the line calls. The offensive line as a unit seems to be more productive when he starts. So I thing he does a good job leading the group. Physically he leaves a lot to be desired. My question is, how much better will he look sandwiched between Saffold and Robinson for 16 games? I mean that has to help. Saffold looked like an all-pro OG last year and Robinson is an athletic freak who put people on skates in college. Playing between those 2 is a lot nicer than playing between Dahl and Williams/Smith. Thoughts?

I like this topic.

Two years in a row this line played it's best when Wells was in the lineup.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Best man wins. If that is Wells, so be it.

A55VA6

Legend
Alot of people always say "Cut Wells!" or "Why hasn't Wells been cut yet?" and I always say to myself.. Wells is the best Center we have and played pretty well, so why cut him?

I think a healthy Wells will be great. Barnes / Jones / Rhaney are good backups right now, and may be good starters in the future.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Best man wins. If that is Wells, so be it.
I agree with that, but has Wells got a fair shake? I mean the guys we have had at LG for the past 2 years playing by Wells have been bad. We haven't really had a good LG since Timmerman. Also Dahl is average to slightly below average at this point. Wells physically isn't elite. I would say physically he is average to slightly below average, but his line calls and adjustments make the line as a whole better.

That's not to say Barrett Jones can't be better in 2014. Kid is smart and may be physically better now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree with that, but has Wells got a fair shake? I mean the guys we have had at LG for the past 2 years playing by Wells have been bad. We haven't really had a good LG since Timmerman. Also Dahl is average to slightly below average at this point. Wells physically isn't elite. I would say physically he is average to slightly below average, but his line calls and adjustments make the line as a whole better.

That's not to say Barrett Jones can't be better in 2014. Kid is smart and may be physically better now.
Fair shake? Yes. It is not the teams fault he keeps getting injured, heck, he came in injured. All I'm saying...best man wins. I am not rooting against him, but rooting for competition.

Memphis Ram

Legend
33 year old center who has missed 13 of his last 32 games.
$6.5 million cap number & $4.5 million cap savings if released.

My guess is he's either taking a paycut with perhaps some incentives or will be gone shortly.

FRO

Legend

My guess is he's either taking a paycut with perhaps some incentives or will be gone shortly.
Why wait to cut him? Why not cut him before the beginning of free agency so we could have made another move? What if Barrett Jones isn't good enough? Are you comfortable with Tim Barnes?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I wouldn't sleep on any of our Center prospects, including our rookie. Can't help but argue with the numbers if there isn't a discernible improvement on the field between players.

Waiting would be seeing where everyone is at compared to each other.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Trouble is when he plays he does exactly what he was brought in to do. Make the line calls and lead the offensive line, plus help Bradford by calling the protections. He is expensive but do the Rams have another Center that can do the same things effectively?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Why wait to cut him? Why not cut him before the beginning of free agency so we could have made another move? What if Barrett Jones isn't good enough? Are you comfortable with Tim Barnes?

In a run first play action offense, I'd think Jones would do fine. Same goes for Barnes.

But, perhaps they are still negotiating a pay cut until June 1st. Or maybe they wanted to see how the draft played out. Or maybe, they want to see how Jones and/or Barnes have developed during OTAs. I don't know. But, I have major doubts that Wells stays with the same contract terms.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Trouble is when he plays he does exactly what he was brought in to do. Make the line calls and lead the offensive line, plus help Bradford by calling the protections. He is expensive but do the Rams have another Center that can do the same things effectively?
I hope we have 3 that can. That was supposed to be B. Jones calling card in college. Barnes has gained more experience, and we'll have to wait and see on the other guys.

FRO

Legend
In a run first play action offense, I'd think Jones would do fine. Same goes for Barnes.

But, perhaps they are still negotiating a pay cut until June 1st. Or maybe they wanted to see how the draft played out. Or maybe, they want to see how Jones and/or Barnes have developed during OTAs. I don't know. But, I have major doubts that Wells stays with the same contract terms.
I would bring him into camp and let him compete. We aren't hurting for cap space seeing there is nobody else out there to use it on. If someone beats him out let him backup. If both Barnes and Jones beat him out, cut him. I would let him atleast compete.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Wells' strengths: Smart assignment caller. Technique solid pass protector.
Weaknesses: Lacks power to root DLinemen out of hole. Showing proneness to injury late in career.

The best case scenario is that both Wells and Jones show up healthy and at their peak in terms of power. Then they can compete for the starter role. Barnes is the fallback and Rhaney needs a year to see if he belongs in consideration

SierraRam

Recreational User

Like Sam, he did his job when healthy. Do we have stats to show "sacks allowed" broke down by who's playing center? My observations are he's knowledgable and effective, but like Memphis said, there will probably be a negotiated pay cut or bye bye...

We can have Bradford make the line calls again. That went well

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Like Sam, he did his job when healthy. Do we have stats to show "sacks allowed" broke down by who's playing center? My observations are he's knowledgable and effective, but like Memphis said, there will probably be a negotiated pay cut or bye bye...

We can have Bradford make the line calls again. That went well
Sam also know the offense a LOT better now, and that could be put back on him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

IMHO the reason is we are in win now mode and Wells is the best option as of today... Also he can help the kids learn the position during OTAs & training camp...
I'm not sold on Tim Barnes. B. Jones is the wildcard. But maybe they think he's a year away still.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Clearly not this season or it would have happened by now.

Speeps

Starter
I believe you keep Wells and get what you can out of him while developing the younger Centers. IF he gets injured again so be it, you have good depth, but I like veteran leadership at C.