Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MSchmidt

UDFA
Name
MwdSchmidt
It just occurred to me that Schottenheimer has interviewed for other positions outside of Rams football the last two years. I'm all for a guy trying to better his career situation, however I have to wonder if he just isn't checked out. I know there's plenty of blame on offense to go around but, man, I just have to wonder how invested he is in his current role. Just a thought………..

Schmidty

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The best way to get a head coaching gig is to have success.

There are a lot of factors. Young inexperienced team, injuries - especially at the skill positions, playing in a tough defensive division - and then there is just an inability to adjust, getting too cute, forcing what isn't there, and flat out play calling.

I really don't question the effort though - at all. And that does for the entire staff.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The best way to get a head coaching gig is to have success.

There are a lot of factors. Young inexperienced team, injuries - especially at the skill positions, playing in a tough defensive division - and then there is just an inability to adjust, getting too cute, forcing what isn't there, and flat out play calling.

I really don't question the effort though - at all. And that does for the entire staff.

I 2nd this.. Much easier to get a head coaching gig if you have success.. That said.. Pat Shurmur..

MSchmidt

UDFA
Name
MwdSchmidt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Completely agree about having success and landing a head coaching gig. I was more concerned about the fact that after 1 year as an OC for Fisher, the dude already interviewing the following year, and then again the next year. That's all. Fisher seems like he may be a good guy to work for, but Schotty isn't happy with something. That's all. Probably looking too much into it…..

Alan

Legend
MSchmidt becoming an urban legend:
Schmidty
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Schmidty
"Have you ever heard of Schmidty?" asks Sara. "Yeah, I was with him last night and boy did he rock me sideways! No-one will ever satisfy me like Schmidty did!
So can you really slide uphill? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Schmidty
Derived from the original meaning of the name Karl Schmidt who is so slick he slides uphill.
All women want him and all men want to be him (some even want him too)...
If you're up for a good time, hang with Schmidty.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Completely agree about having success and landing a head coaching gig. I was more concerned about the fact that after 1 year as an OC for Fisher, the dude already interviewing the following year, and then again the next year. That's all. Fisher seems like he may be a good guy to work for, but Schotty isn't happy with something. That's all. Probably looking too much into it…..

I don't think you're looking too much into it. Hell, it's a good theory for discussion. That's what we're here for man. Kind of like a corner pub ya know? I had completely forgot he had interviewed elsewhere.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I 2nd this.. Much easier to get a head coaching gig if you have success.. That said.. Pat Shurmur..
Shurmur was the OC of the offense under which Bradford was rookie of the year. There were people out there who obviously counted that as success.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Shotty has done a pretty good job considering the QB situation, and now with Quick going down.
I'd still like to see more of a commitment to the run, especially on 3rd and short.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think, until we have a small remnicince of executing plays that are actually called, and are visibly open....I will continue to give the OC a pass.

I think, unless you've been there, it'd hard to diagnose what goes on during a game.

Think of all the hard calls Fisher has had to make...what makes anyone thing that he cut any slack for Shotty.

If he needs to go, he'll be gone. This is not in Fisher I trust statement. If he is not doing a good job, he will not be back,IMO.

I think he will be back, unless I see things that change my mind, the rest of the season, because every play, game, and body of work count.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Shurmur was the OC of the offense under which Bradford was rookie of the year. There were people out there who obviously counted that as success.

I'm thinking it was because him and Holmgren were buds? Kind of like me and you Boffo.. :cool: Certainly having Sam as ROTY didn't hurt Holmgrens case for hiring Patrick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I was very dissapointed Shott did not get offered the Vanderbilt head coaching job.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think, until we have a small remnicince of executing plays that are actually called, and are visibly open....I will continue to give the OC a pass.

I think, unless you've been there, it'd hard to diagnose what goes on during a game.

Think of all the hard calls Fisher has had to make...what makes anyone thing that he cut any slack for Shotty.

If he needs to go, he'll be gone. This is not in Fisher I trust statement. If he is not doing a good job, he will not be back,IMO.

I think he will be back, unless I see things that change my mind, the rest of the season, because every play, game, and body of work count.

Here's the thing Dr... The OC is responsible for the players executing too. The only way to really gauge an OC is by his overall work.

The fans keep listing the players as the problem, but coaches aren't just window dressing. They are teachers. The best OCs get the most out of their players, and scheme it up to best-utilize their strengths.

There is just no way Schotty does that. His history speaks for itself. The same old complaints we heard from Jets fans for years is continued here. If he was a player, he'd be a JAG, a guy who is perennially at risk of being cut.

Fact is he is in the NFL because of his father's name. I don't know about you guys, but if I were him, I'd go down to college level and build my resume from the ground up to demonstrate I belonged and that may be what he tried to do last year with the Vandy interview. But why not take an OC job? Hopefully he will do that next year and Fish will not make another unimaginative OC hire.

The next hire has to be on point, or Fish is going to be out of a job a year or two down the road. Because just having a defense, which we do have now btw, is not enough to win consistently in this league. IMO.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I just know too much to be baited into, he doesn't do this or that. I study games pretty closely, I have a lot of football history under my belt, and My eyes have seen too much to know when certain players just miss their reads, or blocks, etc...because there is just so much.

I am not saying that I know more football than you, or anything like it, but I know enough to know good or bad.

I know enough when I am yelling at a player, because I know he should be throwing it, or breaking off his route, or why an OL'ER blocked why he did.

I have no problem with Shotty. I had a lot of problems with Shurmer, although I acknowledge that not everything was his call.

Have his head if you want, personally, I think with what he has, he's doing fine. Find me better with the same circunstsnces, and I'm fine with that too, but the blame game, unless it's clear...not cool with what I've witnessed.

MrMotes

Starter

A lot of those people have been fired (Holmgren, Spagnulo)...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brian Schottenheimer is an affable fellow says all the right things and comes from good stock, however, after three years I'd like to give someone else a shot and feel confident the Rams can finish in the bottom tier offensively without Shotty!

lockdnram21

Legend
I think Shotty has done a pretty good job considering the QB situation, and now with Quick going down.
I'd still like to see more of a commitment to the run, especially on 3rd and short.
The line isn't blocking effective enough