Schottenheimer Interviewing For Vanderbilt Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I just heard on Mike and Mike that Brian Schottenheimer is interviewing for the Vandy head coaching job.

I am ambivalent towards the idea of him leaving. I really think he screwed the pooch on taking advantage of Tavon Austins abilities for most of the season.

So, if he got the job who would you want as the next OC? Any ideas?

I would love to pry Darrel Bevel from Seattle but that wont happen. I don't know who is out there Norm Chow available?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
My best guess would be that Cignetti would move into the OC position and we'd be looking for a QB coach.

Name
JP
I just heard on Mike and Mike that Brian Schottenheimer is interviewing for the Vandy head coaching job.

I am ambivalent towards the idea of him leaving. I really think he screwed the pooch on taking advantage of Tavon Austins abilities for most of the season.

So, if he got the job who would you want as the next OC? Any ideas?

I would love to pry Darrel Bevel from Seattle but that wont happen. I don't know who is out there Norm Chow available?

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...r-Vandy?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer will interview for the Vanderbilt head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.

Schottenheimer seems to get head-coaching interviews every year, and we're not sure why. His offenses are unimaginative and vanilla on an annual basis. In 2013, Schottenheimer couldn't find a way to use Tavon Austin and didn't feature high-priced tight end Jared Cook nearly enough. Schotty likes to run a ground-and-pound offense. He did that with former Vanderbilt star Zac Stacy this past season and relied on Shonn Greene in the past. Schottenheimer has been the Rams' OC the past two seasons. Colts OC Pep Hamilton is also in the mix at Vandy.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 15 - 9:29 AM

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I suddenly just got excited about the possibilities!

For continuity's sake we could promote Cignetti. There's also the possibility of Cam Cameron, who Schotty built his offense from. Norv wouldn't be a bad idea either, he runs the same basic principal, and I believe that his offense is very similiar in terms of scheme to Schotty's. I think at one point Norv, Schotty, and Cam were all on the Chargers staff together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is Turner available?

I wonder if the NFL is passing Norv by. San Diego has looked better without him. Or was that just a bad match between QB ability/style and coaching style?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a big Cam Cameron fan. It seems the guy wears out his welcome.

I would like more creativity from an OC anyway. Someone has to be able to figure out how to use Tavon better than Schott.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'd suspect they promote from within or find someone that runs a very similar offense. I wouldn't expect any major philosophical change.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd welcome Norv Turner with open arms a'la Steve Perry. I'm a bit nervous while typing this for fear of being run out of here: the Browns offense wasn't that bad. They were trotting out the likes of Jason Campbell, Bryan Hoyer, and Brandon Weeden--all without any form of running game, and still finished with a better YPG than the Rams, and were ranked 11th in passing yardage. Sure you've gotta give oodles of credit to Josh Gordon for his amazing run to close out the year, but 'ol Norv finally got Jordan Cameron's career off the ground. Say, don't the Rams have an uber-athletic TE somewhere on the roster?

I'm not trying to hack on Schotty. I wasn't inspired by his offense, but I think he did an admirable job after Sam went down. I just don't think he can play from behind. And I'm still pretty annoyed at all the hyperbole coming into the season about how he's opening the playbook and yadda yadda. Which I suppose I shouldn't hold against him, that's pretty standard coach speak type stuff.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well, we have all heard that Schottenheimer was opening the playbook before. I recall it happening with the New York Jets and then hearing that he doesn't have the players to effectively run 'his' offense. Every good OC should be able to mold his offense around the talent on the field, which is what he always had to do because he supposedly never had the right personnel to implement his full offensive vision. - I have to wonder if there really is any offensive personnel that could implement his full offensive vision. It just seems that whenever he tries to open up the play book he always ends up dialing it back.

Warner4prez - good note on the TE development. Turner has always been very good at implementing the TE in his offense. He also seems to need one dominant WR for it to really flow. When Vincent Jackson left San Diego their offense tailed off. And the Cowboys had Michael Irvin. If Turner was hear would he push for Sammy Watkins?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Are the Browns going to let Norv go? He's still under contract with them, or at least I thought he was.

bskrilla

Starter
I'm torn. Shotty was so hot and cold. Some games I felt like he was killing it. Other times it was like he forgot who his players were.

I think in general it was more good than bad, but the play call on the last play of the Seattle game alone was a fireable offense in my book. Worst call I have ever seen. Ever.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Schottenheimer is good at calling a game when he has the lead. but then again the team is built to play w/ the lead.... He sucks at having to come from behind. And while we have some parts for making up ground quickly, our defense is built to rush the passer, but the other team would run the ball more if they were in the lead.

Alan

Legend
I can't say I would be sorry to see him go. What I don't want to hear is more excuses about Sam and our offense not having any continuity. Again. That philosophy should guide our search for his replacement.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Are the Browns going to let Norv go? He's still under contract with them, or at least I thought he was.

Pretty sure he's a goner. I read that he made a big stink during the firing of Chudzinski because ownership wouldn't let the coaching staff make their own evaluations of players. He might still be under contract, but that's likely a formality.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Norv Turner would be great. A proven guy that can do that job. I even recall saying Fisher wanted him two years ago, but he didn't get fired at SD yet. But we will see if Schotty leaves first.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm completely fine with him leaving. He isn't creative at all and I don't see him ever getting the most out of his players except maybe a RB. I'll be shocked if he gets the job but that's how I felt about Shurmur and he left.

As for the replacement, I like Norv Turner like a lot of you but what about Chudzinski? Has he been hired yet? I know he's worked under Marty Schottenheimer as well as Norv Turner so it would be a philosophy under the same coaching tree. Perhaps he could adapt his verbiage to something similar to what the Rams have now so the learning curve wouldn't be so bad? He was known as a QB whisperer so it might even be good for Bradford or any other QB we might draft.