Schottenheimer Interviewing For Vanderbilt Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
This could end up being another "be careful what you wish for" scenario. While I agree that an "upgrade" in the OC position could be a good thing, I admit I drank the cool-aid when they brought McDaniels in here. Not comparing Turner to McDaniels, he has much more experience, and has enjoyed success with various teams, as opposed to McD, who knows only ONE way.

Just being cautious when this sort of "change" is discussed.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I bet our QB coach gets the promotion

Rams OC Schottenheimer interviewing for Vandy
9335.jpg

Rams OC Brian Schottenheimer will interview for the Vanderbilt head-coaching vacancy Wednesday.

Schottenheimer seems to get head-coaching interviews every year, and we're not sure why. His offenses are unimaginative and vanilla on an annual basis. In 2013, he couldn't find a way to use Tavon Austin and didn't feature high-priced TE Jared Cook nearly enough. Schotty likes to run a ground-and-pound offense. He did that with former Vanderbilt star Zac Stacy this past season and relied on Shonn Greene in the past. Schottenheimer has been the Rams' OC the past two seasons. Colts OC Pep Hamilton is also in the mix at Vandy.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jan 15 - 9:29 AM

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Are the Browns going to let Norv go? He's still under contract with them, or at least I thought he was.

Everything points to the Browns hiring Broncos OC Adam Gase and if that's the case the Browns will let Norv out of his contract.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I find it interesting that he would be willing to leave the NFL for a college gig like Vandy. I mean it is an SEC team,,, but Brian went to Florida. I don't know how appealing Vandy really is when you think about the likelihood of being able to turn that football team into a powerhouse. Next to impossible I would think given their super high educational standards.

Must pay some serious jack I guess. Money talks.

Does Brian feel insecure in his current position with the Rams?

Does he believe that the Vandy job will be a good launching point for an NFL HCing job? Really?

Is he looking for a raise from the Rams?

Lots of possibilities.

RamsFan14

Starter
I think the Rams will most likely hire within the organization. If we hire Norv Turner, the team would probably have to learn a new offense, which I believe is the LAST thing Fisher wants the team to do (which I totally agree with).

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think the Rams will most likely hire within the organization. If we hire Norv Turner, the team would probably have to learn a new offense, which I believe is the LAST thing Fisher wants the team to do (which I totally agree with).

Exactly. I like Norv as a OC but learning another O will be a step back for at least a year.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

This isn't totally true. Turner is a Don Coryell disciple as is the man that Taught Schotty his offense (Cam Cameron).

Turner also runs a very QB friendly version of the offense that features intermediate routes as opposed to routes that take long times to develop and is responsible for offenses in Dallas that included Aikman, Irving, and Emmitt Smith.

V3

Hall of Fame
This could end up being another "be careful what you wish for" scenario. While I agree that an "upgrade" in the OC position could be a good thing, I admit I drank the cool-aid when they brought McDaniels in here. Not comparing Turner to McDaniels, he has much more experience, and has enjoyed success with various teams, as opposed to McD, who knows only ONE way.

Just being cautious when this sort of "change" is discussed.

The thing I took from the McD fiasco is that you have to be sure to hire an OC(kind of applies to most coaching positions) that knows how to adapt to the players as opposed to the players having to adapt to the coach like McD was making the players do. Would a Turner or Chud be the type of OC that would adapt to the talent that's already here? If yes, then it's a good thing. It would also help if the new OC would adapt to the verbiage that's already in place here to cut down on the learning curve.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Norv!!!!!

Maybe he can turn Quick into that Jackson/Gordon type.

He would know how to use Tavon, and our running game would explode.

RamsFan14

Starter
This isn't totally true. Turner is a Don Coryell disciple as is the man that Taught Schotty his offense (Cam Cameron).

Turner also runs a very QB friendly version of the offense that features intermediate routes as opposed to routes that take long times to develop and is responsible for offenses in Dallas that included Aikman, Irving, and Emmitt Smith.

I feel like you can teach someone your offense, but if the terminology is different then what Schotty had, I don't know if Fisher is going to like the team having to learn something different then in the past. If Norv Turner can adjust to our playbook so the players don't have to learn too much, I'm totally okay with that! I hope they are as similar as you say they are, but I can't quite image someones playbook is the same thing as anothers, but hey idk! I wouldn't mind having Turner coach the offense if that meant it was a very smooth transition! Philosophy can be different, I just wouldn't like the idea of players having to learn another offense, ya know?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I feel like you can teach someone your offense, but if the terminology is different then what Schotty had, I don't know if Fisher is going to like the team having to learn something different then in the past. If Norv Turner can adjust to our playbook so the players don't have to learn too much, I'm totally okay with that! I hope they are as similar as you say they are, but I can't quite image someones playbook is the same thing as anothers, but hey idk! I wouldn't mind having Turner coach the offense if that meant it was a very smooth transition! Philosophy can be different, I just wouldn't like the idea of players having to learn another offense, ya know?

Its not about the playbook needing to change, or particular "plays" being different. Its about the terminology. Every coach uses different terms when defining formations, routes, blocking schemes, motion calls, audibles, etc. There was quite a bit made in a different thread about the term "OMAHA" being used by P. Manning., and what exactly that may or may not mean in his scheme. Now try to figure out the new terminology for "left/right", the hole designations, as basic as it may see to many, changing these words, changes how they are interpreted.

The actual plays might not be dramatically different, but all it takes is one or two "terms" to change, and it changes the entire meaning of what the offense reacts to. Consider trying to learn a different language. You already know English, have more than a comfortable grasp on Spanish, then you are now being asked to learn French. The meaning is the same, but how you say it is completely foreign to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
As for the replacement, I like Norv Turner like a lot of you but what about Chudzinski?

I like Chud, was who i wanted to hire before we got Fisher. Chud or Turner would be more than fine for me if Schotty leaves.

Alan

Legend
I'd think it would be much smarter to have the new OC change his terminology so as to be on the same page as our vets rather than vice versa.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I just want a guy who schemes Tavon open. Shotty had a hard time with that. We need a creative guy who doesn't outsmart himself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard Kyle Shanahan is a rumored candidate if Schotty is hired. I would be happy with him or Turner.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I heard Kyle Shanahan is a rumored candidate if Schotty is hired. I would be happy with him or Turner.
In another thread you suggested that you would trade Sam, now this talk of Shanahan? Did you bump your head Jrry? :lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In another thread you suggested that you would trade Sam, now this talk of Shanahan? Did you bump your head Jrry? :lol:

Nope. I like the way Shanahan schemes guys open and the route combinations he uses.

As far as Sam goes, would only trade him if we could draft Bridgewater. I think the world of that kid. IMO, he has Aaron Rodgers type talent and is very under-appreciated.

RamsFan14

Starter
Its not about the playbook needing to change, or particular "plays" being different. Its about the terminology. Every coach uses different terms when talking about formations, routes blocking schemes, motion calls, audibles, etc. There was quite a bit made in a different thread about the term "OMAHA" being used by P. Manning., and what exactly that may or may not mean in his scheme. Now try to figure out the new terminology for "left/right", the hole designations, as basic as it may see to many, changing these words, changes how they are interpreted.

The actual plays might not be dramatically different, but all it takes is one or two "terms" to change, and it changes the entire meaning of what the offense reacts to. Consider trying to learn a different language. You already know English, have more than a comfortable grasp on Spanish, then you are now being asked to learn French. The meaning is the same, but how you say it is completely foreign to you.

CoachO why didn't you tell me you were on this website on the PD?! Jp man, nice to see you here!

And yea that makes a lot of sense, nicely put! I'd like the players not to have to worry about learning something different honestly and instead focus on how to improve their game. You know what I mean? I think continuity is a big key here, we can't always be jumping ships.

I think Norv Turner is a pretty darn good coach in this league, if there's a way this can work without the team having adjust the playbook too much, I would be glad to have him as a Ram!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the vikings have asked permission to speak to turner. looks like he's going to the vikings.