Say what you want about the Seahawks...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree that Seattle looked awfully good last night, but.... a ticky tack defensive holding on 3rd down was a back breaker. Had Green Bay gotten the ball back there down 13 with 7 min to go? May have been a different outcome. I'll say this much, its going to be a maddening season with the flags unless the ref's pipe down a bit

RAM$

UDFA
Have a thought here, does going hard in preseason like the Hags did better prepare for the real season. Playing vanilla on both O and D seems like it will lead to some growing pains for the first couple weeks.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The Seahawks deserve all the positive press they get. In their last two games they annihilated two of the better teams in the league.

They do an excellent job of game planning.

Luckily, we're built to give them a good game. NFC West lock em in the closet and see who walks out football.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Seattle played a great game. But, Green Bay's defense did seem to do their best to help them along. Seemed like whenever the defense had a chance to get off the field, they'd extend the Seahawks drives with dumb penalties.

V3

Hall of Fame
I've had the feeling since seeing how good they were last season that they're on the verge of becoming a d....dy........d.......dynas.........oh man, I can't even say it without dry heaving.

lockdnram21

Legend
God I can't wait to see Kenny britt line up across from Sherman....2 loud mouthed emotional players generally yields some entertainment..[/QUOTE

Quick to. From what i see they only have one legit corner and he only plays one side of the field. I think Britt and Quick would have a field day vs thir secondary

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
They are beatable and I can't wait til our rams do it, given the chance I would like to see the rams give them a taste of their own medicine and run up the score on them going for it on 4th and 1 in the red zone with 2 minutes left in the game and up by two TD's is bush League IMO

If your only up by two touchdowns to a team that has the ability to score two touchdowns in under two minutes you had better put some more points on the board. Thats not bush league thats playing to win. We have been watching playing not to lose football for so long, that watching aggressive, playing to win football seems foreign or bush league I guess.

…..

Legend
Agreed. Lynch is a monster though, and our LBs aren't necessarily renowned for their tackling abilities. We are going to have our hands full with them if our front 4 gets gashed.

Gregg Williams has an answer for that. Swarming defense, everyone in on the tackle. Hold the runner up and hit him a few extra times to make him a non factor in the 4th quarter.... Take him from Beast mode to Bitch mode.

Last edited:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Little Things, Big Dividends
Attention to detail was the catalyst in the Seahawks' season-opening, 36-16 dismantling of the Packers. Here's a look at how the defending champs did it, plus what to watch in Week 1 including the matchup no one's talking about
By Peter King
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/05/seattle-seahawks-green-bay-packers-nfl-week-1/

SEATTLE—Let’s try to find some fault, any fault, with Seattle’s 36-16 dismantling of the Packers on Thursday night in the opening game of the NFL’s 95th season. Found one! The punt-returner doesn’t call for fair catches enough.

In their last two games, the Seahawks have played two of the best quarterbacks in the modern game, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers, and outscored them by 55 points. Against Manning in the Super Bowl, it was a brutal defensive beatdown. On Coronation Night at CenturyLink Field, it was … well, so many things. Mostly imagination and offensive depth.

But let’s focus on the little things. Let’s focus on one play, 17 minutes into the game. Green Bay led 7-3, and Seattle was driving at the Packer 33. The game was competitive then. It held the promise of the kind of drama we hadn’t seen in the NFL since the Seattle-San Francisco NFC title game last January.

Then offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell of the Seahawks called the kind of play that took some breath out of everyone watching. On a first-and-10 at the Green Bay 33, Wilson lined up in the shotgun, with Marshawn Lynch a sidecar to his left, and what followed is a play I’ve never seen in the pro game. (Maybe it’s been run; I just know I haven’t seen it.) Wilson took the snap, and Lynch immediately extended his arms to take an inside handoff from him, except that the handoff wasn’t forthcoming. Option read, clearly. Wilson took the ball into his gut and sprinted left.

We’ve seen this before, Wilson on the edge isolated against a linebacker or safety or corner, trying to beat one man and make a big gain. This time, though, Wilson stopped after two running steps before the line of scrimmage when cornerback Sam Shields came off his man, wide receiver Ricardo Lockette, to play the run. Wilson cocked his arm in a split second and fired the ball to Lockette, 15 yards in the air, and Lockette beat a rookie safety, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, for the 33-yard touchdown.

So many things to love about this touchdown. The origin, for one.

“That’s the boss right there,” Bevell said in a hallway outside the Seahawks’ locker room. “That’s a Pete idea.”

lockette.jpg

Ricardo Lockette’s second-quarter touchdown gave Seattle a lead it wouldn’t relinquish. (Scott Eklund/AP)

Pete Carroll did cop to hatching the play. “We’ll go anywhere to find a play,” the Seattle coach said afterward. “And that one—uh, Muschamp at Florida, no … Auburn. They ran it. Give Gus Malzahn credit. That’s a great play. I kept telling them [the offensive staff and players] this summer, ‘It’ll work, it’ll work.’ But it didn’t work all summer.”

The reasons Carroll and Bevell liked the play when they watched Auburn run it last year against Alabama is simple. The read-option assumes the running back or the quarterback will run the ball—the running back if the quarterback sees a hole when he puts the ball in the back’s gut, or the quarterback if he sees traffic and knows he (the quarterback) needs to tuck it down and run. But what if the quarterback, about to get pummeled, pulled it down and just flipped it to the nearest receiver?

“That was a great read by Russell,” said Lockette. “He sees the corner coming up, and so he knows I’m free. It all happens fast, so he’s got to read the play in a split-second.”

“We practiced it a little,” said Bevell. “But it came from college tape. We just thought it fit another dimension off the zone read and could enhance the play. We’re committed to find the best plays for the players we have, and that certainly looked like it fit our players.”

I mentioned the little things. Count how they helped in this play:
  1. Wilson has to sell the fake, that he’s going to run, to the defenders on the edge. He does.
  2. Tight end Luke Willson has to execute a seal block on the Green Bay defensive end to prevent him from blowing up the play. He does.
  3. Lynch has to sprint left after not getting the ball and be prepared to protect his quarterback. He does.
  4. Lockette has to beat the safety once he catches the ball. He does.
  5. Bevell has to have the guts to call the play. He does.
“What really helps,” said Bevell, “is that Russell is a point guard. He cares about distributing the ball to everyone, and putting everyone in the best position to make plays. He has such a great understanding of our offense. He cares about the little things more than anyone I’ve known. No detail is too small. He dissects everything.’’

Bevell is lucky. He has a general manager, John Schneider, who knows players, and doesn’t fear the wrath of the media and public for taking a 5-11 quarterback in the third round of a draft. He has a coach who is the ultimate bottom-liner, who preaches the gospel of all-that-counts-is-what-you-can-do-for-today. He has a quarterback who works as hard as the coaches. He has a weird running back who is a human bumper-car, who doesn’t seem to care anything about his shelf life—only about today. He has Percy Harvin. And he has so many unknown weapons. I mention to him that he must be having so much fun because he doesn’t have a glaring weakness in his arsenal.

“You’re wrong,” Bevell said. “We do have weaknesses. The players have weaknesses. But it is our job as coaches to find the strengths in what our guys do. They all have strengths, and that’s what we highlight. What really helps is having Russell. He is so committed to improving on the littlest things every day. I try to find a word for this sometimes, but I can’t … it’s his refusal to fail. No detail is too small, and he makes sure to stress that every day.’’

I’ve noticed this being around this team in the past couple of years: Wilson’s attitude mirrors Pete Carroll’s, and it is infectious, in season and out. Lockette was with a gaggle of reporters explaining his touchdown when one asked him about the significance of this win. “We treat every game like a championship game,” he said, “and we treat every practice like a championship practice. I’m really looking forward to the next championship practice.”

Sounds corny. It is corny. But that’s the way a lot of these guys talk. That’s what the coaches preach, and that’s what Wilson preaches to his mates.

And this was Wilson, an hour after this masterpiece, on the little things:

“The details,” he said. “It’s the details, the little details, that make the difference between being great or just being good.”

The details showed up Thursday night. The details will make Seattle a threat to be great, this year and into the future.

Yeah....Let's talk about "details". The Green Bay defense has no idea what edge containment means. They cite a 'seal" block by the TE on the DE, but GB plays a 3-4. So where the hell was the OLB....Oh that's right...He bit on the fake.The ILB should have taken the 'dive" play. And the OLB taken the QB.......but no. And if the CB felt so secure in coming up, they must have been in a defense where the safety was supposed to rotate over. And he was late.........late to the pass.....and then even later as he wasn't even in position to make the play once it was caught.....He whiffed and completed the "Tri-Failure".
Yeah..... there's your details......

AZRamsFan93

That was tough to watch. The hags do not have any real weaknesses that I could see. no glaring ones anyway. Our team should have a better chance against them, but man they are who we thought they were.....freaking strong.
Unfortunately you are spot on....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Green Bay defense has no idea what edge containment means.

Unless Dom Capers has lost it as a DC, which I highly doubt, it was a problem of executing the scheme they had practiced. Of course as Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the head."

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Unless Dom Capers has lost it as a DC, which I highly doubt, it was a problem of executing the scheme they had practiced. Of course as Mike Tyson said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the head."
I don't doubt at all Capers understands that.......But if he can't get them to execute it.....it was kind of like us last year w/ Tim Walton......I really doubted he envisioned us being lax and waiting for the offense to come to us.....but they did....
But the article you posted talked about details. And were praising the Cheese Squats when in reality as was the case w/ Walton last year.....it was more about what GB didn't do. They looked like they were out of the play to begin with as the flow seemed to go the other way which would have been a mis-call by someone. And then didn't execute their keys once the play happened. But it was the story of the night. GB's interior couldn't get off blocks and got pushed around. that led to Seattle doing whatever they wanted, whenever they pleased.

Demand n 1

" Let the cool water take me under"
Name
doc
When I saw Aaron Rogers play the Rams in PRESEASON, I thought the Pack is Back. Yeah I know. Preseason. They were sharp, distributing the ball to backs and receivers on time and in space. They played to their strength with precision.

Sea Ox are good. Okay got that out of the way, but GB was gawd awful. They played to their weakness on O. Mawshing right or left with a woefully undermanned O. line into a stout D. Power sweeps that got them to 3rd and 14. Then Rogers was left to throw for his life with predictable results. They ran a befuddled "hurry up" offense and managed to burn 3 first half time outs in the bargain. What a train wreck.
I am sure Sweety Petey and the boys choir had something to do with it but a hard nosed no nonsense, no finesse team built like the Rams could tell a different story. Last man standing. Go Rams.

Sgt. Ram

the present moment is all you will ever have
Seattle is good, and maybe green bay is not as good as the talking heads think

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I just saw their cheerleaders on Yahoo. Average at best.

What a bunch of losers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have a thought here, does going hard in preseason like the Hags did better prepare for the real season. Playing vanilla on both O and D seems like it will lead to some growing pains for the first couple weeks.

Didn't work with Spags.

TexasRam

Legend
Seattles oline was Dominant.

Wilson is benefitting from an unbeleiveable run game around him.

Must be nice.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
If your only up by two touchdowns to a team that has the ability to score two touchdowns in under two minutes you had better put some more points on the board. Thats not bush league thats playing to win. We have been watching playing not to lose football for so long, that watching aggressive, playing to win football seems foreign or bush league I guess.
A field goal would have sealed the game they would have had 2 minutes left and needed three touchdowns to pull it out,not as bad as what he e did in AZ recently but still bush league in my book