Sams vs Westbrooks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Conrath is already on the outside looking in if Sam makes it.

Quinn
Long
Sims
Hayes
Donald
Brockers
Langford

No question about those 7, right.

Carrington, I think is a safe 8th.

That leaves the 9th spot:

Sam
Westbrooks
Conrath

I suppose they could bring a 10th DL and go with 9 DBs or use 26 spots on defense and 24 on offense. Doubtful though.
Good analysis. I think Westbrooks faces an uphil climb. Maybe we can goat Dallas into trading for Westbrooks. They need DEs and had interest in signing him after the draft.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I could see them trading a D Lineman, but which one is hard to say.

My gut says Langford would be the guy to deal - just because he has a price tag and may not be part of the 2016 vision. (I could be wrong on that - but we have to pay Quinn and will need to extend Brockers).

FRO

Legend
I could see them trading a D Lineman, but which one is hard to say.

My gut says Langford would be the guy to deal - just because he has a price tag and may not be part of the 2016 vision. (I could be wrong on that - but we have to pay Quinn and will need to extend Brockers).
We need Langford. Donald is a rookie and I feel he would be best served as a package player this year. Langford probably won't be a Ram next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We need Langford. Donald is a rookie and I feel he would be best served as a package player this year. Langford probably won't be a Ram next year.

Agree. Langford is an important piece to this line at this stage.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Conrath is already on the outside looking in if Sam makes it.

Quinn
Long
Sims
Hayes
Donald
Brockers
Langford

No question about those 7, right.

Carrington, I think is a safe 8th.

That leaves the 9th spot:

Sam
Westbrooks
Conrath

I suppose they could bring a 10th DL and go with 9 DBs or use 26 spots on defense and 24 on offense. Doubtful though.

So, I am guessing that the only realistic way for both Sam and Westbrooks to make the Rams final roster is for either an injury (Let's hope not!) to one of the eight players listed above or for one of those players getting traded (which, would not surprise me too much).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
This is how I look at it. They already have a stacked d-line, so for me it would come down to which has the greatest upside to make the most contribution down the road. Obviously if they could I'd want to keep both, and if either is cut they will be picked up before we can stash them on the PS.

Yes Sam had a better game, but with how our line is, neither will see significant action anytime soon.

Sam is ahead of Westbrooks at the moment, and I think a lot of that is due to him playing in a major program with better coaching. Westbrooks produced at a smaller level and is raw compared to Sam, but I believe he has bigger upside in the end.

Like I said I wish we could keep both, but since we are stacked already, I would go with the guy who has the most potential, and I believe that guy is Westbrooks. If they choose Sam I will have no problem with it, he is a good player. But I think Westbrooks has more upside over time, and since
It is just for the last spot on the D-line, i'd go with him so we dont lose him.

But as I stated before, I'd be fine if they kept Sam over him. Really wish could stash Westbrooks on PS cause I think in a couple years he will be a great player in the rotation.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Sam's got it.

The better question is who had a better chance of making past waivers and to the PS? That's a tough one...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Sam's got it.

The better question is who had a better chance of making past waivers and to the PS? That's a tough one...

Westbrooks easily. Sam is a bigger name, a team would pick him up, sell tickets, can indeed play and help out a team weak on the D-line, he wouldn't make it. Westbrooks has more red flags, raw, lesser competition, and has a reputation for drawing flags.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Neither will make it to the PS imo.

In that case, who knows who is the better play? They both played well..

I guess it's gonna take more than one preseason game for me to come to a conclusion. Shame we probably won't be able to keep them both. Hope we somehow can without hurting the team in the long run. That seems unlikely.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
In that case, who knows who is the better play? They both played well..

I guess it's gonna take more than one preseason game for me to come to a conclusion. Shame we probably won't be able to keep them both. Hope we somehow can without hurting the team in the long run. That seems unlikely.
Agree ofc. Its a catch 22 all around, although this is a good problem to have, still sucks. Both could make a good impact in the rotation over time. If another unit was as good as d-line, they could probably keep 10 d-lineman on the 53 man roster. Teams will take our d-line scraps and make them starters. Cb/safety not so much. Really need to strengthen cb position then they can keep that extra lineman.

In the end we can at least trust the coaching staff to keep the best. No doubt there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Westbrooks easily. Sam is a bigger name, a team would pick him up, sell tickets, can indeed play and help out a team weak on the D-line, he wouldn't make it. Westbrooks has more red flags, raw, lesser competition, and has a reputation for drawing flags.

But is Westbrooks more interchangeable along the dline?

MSam is more of a situational pass rusher and special teams player. Westbrooks slides in and out along the defensive line.

It's going to be interesting to see the Rams sort this out.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
As to which player is more likely to actually clear waivers and make it to the PS .....

Sam is more likely - mainly because I could see Westbrooks fitting in a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 and Sam probably doesn't have a role in a 3-4 (he didn't look so good in OLB drills at the combine, anyway).

Name recognition means nothing - NFL GMs make these decisions, not fan bases - and every GM in the league has heard of and is familiar with both guys.

I agree that you keep the guy who projects to be better in 1-2 years when they will see the field.

bluecoconuts

Legend
But is Westbrooks more interchangeable along the dline?

MSam is more of a situational pass rusher and special teams player. Westbrooks slides in and out along the defensive line.

It's going to be interesting to see the Rams sort this out.

Maybe, but if I'm a coach I'm not looking to grab some UDFA who is known for drawing flags over a guy who's known as a hard worker that can rush a QB in pass situations, and play against top competition. Others may see it differently.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Any one else getting aggravated with commentators being overly critical of Sam's play? Any time he's made a play it's been because of poor play or that he came off the line unblocked.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Any one else getting aggravated with commentators being overly critical of Sam's play? Any time he's made a play it's been because of poor play or that he came off the line unblocked.

I am more aggravated by the excessive attention he gets in general.

Greg Stone

Rookie
As many have pointed out Sam has the lead after one preseason game. Sam has shown that he can learn quickly. for Westbrooks to have any chance he must show that he can learn and improve. There are a million guys with great potential that can't stick in the NFL because they don't respond to coaching; they have a mental or emotional problem that stops their growth. I'm not saying Westbrooks is like that but if he can't demonstrate growth before the final cut he has no future with the Rams.

To CGI-Ram, did you see the game? "MSam is more of a situational pass rusher and special teams player. Westbrooks slides in and out along the defensive line." Sam outplayed Westbrooks as the starting DE against the starting Saints offense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As many have pointed out Sam has the lead after one preseason game. Sam has shown that he can learn quickly. for Westbrooks to have any chance he must show that he can learn and improve. There are a million guys with great potential that can't stick in the NFL because they don't respond to coaching; they have a mental or emotional problem that stops their growth. I'm not saying Westbrooks is like that but if he can't demonstrate growth before the final cut he has no future with the Rams.

To CGI-Ram, did you see the game? "MSam is more of a situational pass rusher and special teams player. Westbrooks slides in and out along the defensive line." Sam outplayed Westbrooks as the starting DE against the starting Saints offense.

Yes. I saw the game.

On the surface, MSam stood out more. But, when it comes to line play (both offensive and defensive) the devil is in the detail... Most of which doesn't stand out. Like keeping your lane assignment, etc.