Sam Bradford Finally Has Weapons Around Him (Inside the Iggles)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Anthony DiBona
http://insidetheiggles.com/2015/05/21/sam-bradford-finally-has-weapons-around-him/

AUcJHnu.jpg

Although months have passed since Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly made a controversial move of trading for quarterback Sam Bradford, many are still questioning the trade. Besides the obvious injury concerns with Bradford, there are some that question whether or not he can actually get the job done on the field.

While many point to Bradford’s underwhelming statistics and record while he was with the St. Louis Rams, they forget one major fact. Bradford had little to no help while he was in the Gateway City. With Kelly calling the plays in Philadelphia in addition to all of the offensive fire power the Eagles have on their roster, Bradford should have a career year in 2015, assuming he can stay healthy. If he can avoid injury, Bradford will be surrounded by the most talent he’s ever been around in his entire career in the NFL, and it’s not even close.

Whether it’s the offensive line, wide receivers, running backs or tight ends…anyway you look at it, the Eagles are stacked with talent. Although their pass catchers are young, they have plenty of potential and wide receiver Jordan Matthews already looks like an emerging star. Bradford isn’t used to having a team draft successful pass catchers to put around him. During his tenure in St. Louis, the Rams drafted several wide receivers and tight ends yet none of them have ever been that successful.

Here’s a look at the “help” Bradford received via the NFL Draft while he was in St. Louis:

GDf8FQz.jpg

As you can tell, Bradford never really had any weapons added to the team through the draft. So being surrounded with young talent such as Matthews, Josh Huff, Nelson Agholor and Zach Ertz will be somewhat of a surprise to him. The “talent” that St. Louis drafted to surround Bradford was so underwhelming that veteran wide receiver Miles Austin actually had more receptions in 2014 than all of them have had in their “best” statistical season so far with the Rams. Austin had 47 receptions in 2014 with the Cleveland Browns in just 12 games at 30-years old. THIRTY!

Let’s not forget that as a rookie in 2014, Matthews posted a stat-line better than all of the players above in each of the three categories, finishing the season with 67 receptions for 872 yards and 8 touchdowns. There’s a good chance that Agholor post close to or even better numbers as a rookie in Kelly’s system as well. Although Huff had a disappointing rookie season that got off to a rough start due to an injury, he should be ready to make a bigger impact in 2015.

All of these young pass catchers combined with the stable of running backs and old but elite offensive line that the Eagles have and Bradford should be overwhelmed by the talent he is surrounded with. It’s all just a matter of him staying healthy enough to actually be on the field to put it all to good use. Speaking of the stable of running backs the Eagles have,Dave MangelsofBleeding Green Nationtweeted out this interesting note yesterday:

View: https://twitter.com/Southern_Philly/status/601134563516162048

That just goes to show how much Bradford truly had during his time in St. Louis. A running back’s single season total of receptions, which isn’t eventhatimpressive, was only bested twice while Bradford played quarterback for the Rams. That’s just embarrassing and almost makes me feel bad for him.

While it’s still scary to think about the possibility of Bradford suffering another season ending injury. It’s equally as scary to think about the possibilities of him operating Kelly’s uptempo spread offense with all of these offensive weapons in his arsenal. If he’s healthy and able to stand on his own to feet, watch out NFL, because Bradford finally has some legitimate talent around him and Kelly and the Eagles know just how to use it.

Athos

Legend
I call somewhat bullshit. His first several years, yea, we scrapped the bottom of the barrel for O pieces but....

We actually DID finally get Bradford weapons during his final two years here.

The ONLY problem was, he wasn't on the damn field to use them.

Cook: One of the better pass-catching TE threats
Britt: Would have put up a 1000 yard season with Sam
Quick: Same if he'd have stayed healthy
Mason: Stats woulda been better b/c the pass game would been better

Austin and Bailey: Sam would have actually been able to see them to pass the ball to.

The only thing you could argue is a better offensive line (given health).

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Stedman would have been a beast with Bradford, think a more talented and healthy Amendola.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The supporting cast didn't have a QB much either...
Yeah. I'm as much a Bradford fan as the next guy, but this article kind of leaves that factoid out of the equation. How can some of these newer guys be expected to have great statistical seasons when they themselves are trying to get acclimated to several different QBs?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Before the onslaught of injuries, however, Bradford had a Murderer's Row of suck around him. No doubt about that.
I wish him luck going forward, because he's a good dude, but it's time for some stability at the QB position now.

Athos

Legend
Yeah. I'm as much a Bradford fan as the next guy, but this article kind of leaves that factoid out of the equation. How can some of these newer guys be expected to have great statistical seasons when they themselves are trying to get acclimated to several different QBs?

Yep. And you could just SEE how much easier it was in general for Sam to create chemistry with these WRs than Austin and Hill. No offense, but they didn't connect like Bradford.

Hard to development as well when QB play is holding you down.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The return of News Bot. :bow: :snicker:

obvious injury concerns

assuming he can stay healthy

the possibility of Bradford suffering another season ending injury

If he can avoid injury

Four times this was mentioned in that article, and there's the rub. Had Bradford stayed healthy during last season he would have put up career stats with the Rams as well. He looked great in preseason but then came the injury. If the same thing happens again with the Eagles, Sam should hang up his cleats.

FRO

Legend
Rams support
The return of News Bot. :bow: :snicker:

Four times this was mentioned in that article, and there's the rub. Had Bradford stayed healthy during last season he would have put up career stats with the Rams as well. He looked great in preseason but then came the injury. If the same thing happens again with the Eagles, Sam should hang up his cleats.
had Bradford stayed healthy he would still be our QB. Wish he were still here, excited to see what Foles can do though. I just want us to win.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I like a couple of the Rams WR's and think they are actually under rated and frankly get a little tired of them taking the blame and being described as not very good weapons. Maybe it was the other way around and the WR's are actually good enough but the problem was the QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I like a couple of the Rams WR's and think they are actually under rated and frankly get a little tired of them taking the blame and being described as not very good weapons. Maybe it was the other way around and the WR's are actually good enough but the problem was the QB.
I guess we'll find out. Some receivers are OBVIOUS talents. Like Isaac Bruce. He caught passes from everyone and his production stayed pretty even. His best seasons ever were with Chris Miller/Mark Rypien and Tony Banks/Steve Walsh of all people.

FRO

Legend
The receivers who left didn't do any better away from Bradford. Amendola and Gibson being prime examples.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What did Bradford ever show that would make anybody think he could be elite ? He was the king of the check down and had no pocket awareness . It was time to move on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
What did Bradford ever show that would make anybody think he could be elite ? He was the king of the check down and had no pocket awareness . It was time to move on.
Trust me. He was acutely aware of his excuse for a pocket.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
We'll see. I'll bet Philly media does not put up with what we did and support him like we did if he goes through the same shit there.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trust me. He was acutely aware of his excuse for a pocket.
I wish him well but I think the Philly fans will boo him out of town . It's actually a relief to not have to hold my breath every time he drops back to pass .

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

I'll never forget watching that lousy Cleveand DT hanging himself on Bradford & putting his full weight on him -- like he was just trying to put as much pressure on his knees as possible. Wasn't even trying to tackle or push him or hit him -- he just hung on to him. :sick:

but, no matter -- I think we got a really good, tall QB without Bradford's health issues & massive contract, so it's all good! :cool:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yeah, it's all fair.

Until we get to the last few players, not their fault Bradford kept breaking down and they only had Clemens, Davis and Hill to throw to them.

Bradford's fragility is his own fault.