Russ Lande Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Mock-Draft-Version-60.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP ... on-60.html</a>

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M, Junior: While the Chiefs have a desperate need for a quarterback, they have let it be known that they will not be re-signing left tackle Branden Albert due to rumored back issues. So it makes a lot of sense for them to draft Joeckel who will be able to handle the left tackle job as a rookie and be their long term answer on the blindside.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU, Senior: Jacksonville has been trying to upgrade its outside pass rush for a few seasons, but has not been successful. The new regime decides to gamble a bit and take Ansah who is the most physically gifted defensive end in the Draft, but is still learning the finer points of playing the position.

3. Oakland Raiders: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah, Senior: Richard Seymour is not expected to return to Oakland, so the Raiders must find a way to replace his strength and playmaking ability. Many may expect the Raiders to take a quarterback here, but sources have told us they do not feel there is a quarterback worthy of the third overall pick.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan, Senior: Jason Peters is no sure thing to be the player he was before his achilles injury and the Eagles right tackle spot is still unsettled. After an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl, where he convinced everyone in attendance that he can be a high end starter, the Eagles know selecting him gives them insurance in case Peters has any issues and stabilizes the right tackle position if Peters is back to his old form for the 2013 season.

5. Detroit Lions: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State, Junior: Cliff Avril is a free agent again this off-season and they just released Kyle Vanden Bosch, so they have a real need for an outside pass rusher. With Ndamukong Suh, Corey Williams and Nick Fairley the Lions are set for the long term at defensive tackle, but must improve their outside rush for the defense to take the next step.

6. Cleveland Browns: Keenan Allen, WR, California, Junior: With young talent like Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron on the roster, the Browns need to get more weapons if Brandon Weeden is going to succeed in Coach Chudzinski’s downfield passing attack. Allen reminds us a ton of Bengals’ receiver AJ Green and could provide the big play ability and security blanket for Brandon Weeden that AJ Green does for Andy Dalton.

7. Arizona Cardinals: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia, Senior: Although Coach Arians is publicly stating that they are going to work with Kevin Kolb; I believe it is a smoke screen and that the Cardinals will select Smith. A physically gifted quarterback with great football intelligence/instincts, Smith should be able to step in and start as a rookie which would greatly upgrade the Cardinals passing attack and make Larry Fitzgerald happy.

8. Buffalo Bills: Ryan Nassib, QB, Syracuse, Senior: The Bills relax after the Cardinals select Geno Smith as they have been targeting Nassib since Coach Marrone took the job. Blessed with a strong arm, great mechanics and experience running the offense the Bills will run, Nassib should be able to start as a rookie and hit the ground running.

9. New York Jets: Dion Jordan, DE/OLB, Oregon, Senior: Calvin Pace is expected tom be released by the Jets and considering their outside pass rush was a big problem in 2012 they must address it. Jordan is more of a long, linear player than a huge, powerful one, but with his explosive initial quickness, fast change of direction ability and natural pass rush skills he is a perfect fit rushing off the edge in the Jets’ defense.

10. Tennessee Titans: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama, Junior: Since losing Cortland Finnegan a season ago the Titans have wanted to replace him. While they are very happy with Alterraun Verner at one cornerback spot, pairing him with Milliner would give them two good outside corners and would allow Jason McCourty to slide inside to be their nickel cornerback.

11. San Diego Chargers: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma, Senior: After holding their breath since the Eagles selected Eric Fisher with the fourth pick, the Chargers waste no time running their card up to select Lane Johnson. A former junior college quarterback, Johnson’s combination of height, long arms and athleticism makes him the ideal candidate to replace Jared Gaiter, who bombed so miserably in 2012 for a variety of reasons.

12. Miami Dolphins: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee, Junior: After trading Brandon Marshall last off-season the Dolphins lacked a top shelf receiver despite the emergence of Brian Hartline. This leads them to select Patterson who reminds many around the league of Julio Jones and will provide Ryan Tannehill a big play target who can open up the Dolphins’ passing attack.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State, Junior: After trading the frustrating Aqib Talib to the Patriots, the Buccaneers need to upgrade their secondary and Rhodes can definitely upgrade their secondary. Blessed with excellent size, a muscular build and excellent playing strength to go with his high end athleticism, Rhodes can be the physical and aggressive cornerback that Coach Schiano likes.

14. Carolina Panthers: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri, Junior: The Panthers have two quality outside pass rushers in Charles Johnson and Greg Hardy, but are weak at defensive tackle. Richardson will give the Panthers an explosive interior defender who can penetrate gaps to blow up plays behind the LOS consistently.

15. New Orleans Saints: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia, Junior: With Rob Ryan leading the Saints switch to a 34 defense, there is no doubt that he will be looking for explosive, edge pass rushers who can crash off the corner. Jones has the talent to be an ideal fit in Ryan’s defensive scheme assuming his neck passes the Saints’ physical.

[textarea]16. St. Louis Rams: Kenny Vaccaro, SAF, Texas, Senior: The Rams cannot believe that Vaccaro slid to them as they have such a desperate need at safety. So there is no hesitation when they select Vaccaro who not only will start as a rookie, but he will immediately upgrade the coverage of the Rams secondary.[/textarea]
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Barkevious Mingo, OLB, LSU, Junior: The Steelers’ historically aggressive defense lacked consistent bite in 2012 and part of that was due to James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley not playing at the same level as in years past. This leads the Steelers to take a gamble on perhaps the most physically gifted pass rusher in the Draft who falls to them because there are questions about his production and consistency.

18. Dallas Cowboys: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama, Senior: It seems that in nearly every big game quarterback Tony Romo is under constant pressure, which leads to mistakes and losses. Warmack is the rare guard who has the athleticism to block effectively out in space, while still possessing the strength to be a dominant in-line run blocker and pass protector.

19. New York Giants: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida, Junior: Chris Canty was released because he did not provide the impact plays to justify his high salary, to General Manager Jerry Reese jumps at the chance to select Floyd. Although Floyd is regarded as raw and still developing, he has the explosiveness off the ball to threaten gaps and the strength to control blockers at the POA, which could lead to him being a Pro Bowl DT early in his career.

20. Chicago Bears: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama, Junior: If Coach Trestman is going to be successful as the Bears Head Coach, which I have no doubt he will, then their offensive line much protect Jay Cutler much better. Fluker is a massive man who will immediately upgrade the right tackle position and will likely be given a chance to win the left tackle spot.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech, Senior: A.J. Green has developed into a premier receiver, but the Bengals need to find other weapons for Andy Dalton to throw to if their offense is going to take the next step. Patton has rare acceleration and speed for a 6’0 receiver and after his display at the Senior Bowl I do not think anyone questions his hands and ability to play at a high level in the NFL.

[textarea]22. St. Louis Rams (From Washington): Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia, Senior: By claiming receiver Titus Young the Rams showed they are going to take risks in order to find some weapons for Sam Bradford to throw to. That leads me to believe they would be willing to gamble on Austin who has all talent to be a game changing receiver along the lines of DeSean Jackson, but at under 5’9 lacks the height that most NFL teams want in a first round receiver.[/textarea]
23. Minnesota Vikings: Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State, Junior: Long time defensive tackle Kevin Williams cannot last forever and the Vikings know this. So the chance to draft his eventual replacement in Jonathan Hankins, who also possesses the rare combination of great size, elite strength and shocking quickness and athleticism, makes way too much sense.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, OLB, Florida State, Senior: The Colts not only improved a ton on offense in 2012, but their switch to a 34 defense was much more successful in its first year than many expected. While Dwight Freeney has had a great career in Indianapolis, he is a free agent and likely will not return. So the Colts take a gamble on Carradine who would have been a top ten pick if he had not injured his knee late in the 2012 season.

25. Seattle Seahawks: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor, Senior: After Russell Wilson’s incredible rookie season, the Seahawks make a wise move by providing him with another weapon so that he can continue to develop. Williams combination of height and playing speed is tough to find and could help the Seahawks’ offense by taking the top off the defense.

26. Green Bay Packers: Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia, Junior: After drafting Nick Perry in the first round last year, the Packers continue upgrading their defensive speed and play-making ability by selecting Ogletree. Although not as well known nationally as Manti Te’o or Kevin Minter, Ogletree is the most explosive and athletic inside linebacker available in the 2013 NFL Draft and would add a dimension to the Packers defense that they have been lacking from their inside linebackers.

27. Houston Texans: Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU, Junior: When inside linebacker Brian Cushing was lost for the season with a knee injury, the Texans defense struggled to play at the high level it had been. So even though Cushing is expected to be 100% for the 2013 season, the Texans grab Minter to start next to him and hopefully provide the playmaking ability to allow their defense to continue playing at a high level if Cushing gets hurt again.

28. Denver Broncos: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington, Senior: No one denies that Champ Bailey will be elected to the Hall of Fame in time, but he is no longer a premier cornerback and is nearing the end of his great career. Coach Fox has a history of drafting aggressive cornerbacks who are not afraid to gamble to make a play and Trufant fits that mold perfectly.

29. New England Patriots: Margus Hunt, DE, SMU, Senior: While Hunt is no doubt raw, his rare combination of great height, long arms, good playing strength and hip snap/explosiveness make him too enticing for Coach Belichick to pass up. At the Senior Bowl it was clear that Hunt could easily add 20+ pounds and at close to 300 pounds with his height and arm length he would be an ideal versatile defensive end in the Patriots defense.

30. Atlanta Falcons: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama, Junior: Michael Turner has been an excellent player for the Falcons since he signed as a free agent, but he is no longer the same back and lacks the burst through the hole and big play speed that their offense needs. Lacy is a huge back with the power to run through contact and the deceptive speed to make big plays. He would be an excellent complement to Jacquizz Rodgers and could be the power back the Falcons will need to replace Turner.

31. San Francisco 49ers: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, Senior: While Justin Smith battled through pain to stay in the starting lineup after his injury, he was not the same player and the 49ers defense struggled to consistently pressure the quarterback. Williams is a powerful man with the quick hands and athleticism to jolt and defeat blockers easily. He also has the playing strength to dominate blockers at the point of attack. He would provide great depth as a rookie and eventually will be a productive starting defensive end for them.

32. Baltimore Ravens: Manti Te’o, ILB, Notre Dame, Senior: With Ray Lewis riding off into the sunset after the Ravens won the Super Bowl, they must a replacement. While Te’o lacks Lewis elite physical tools, he is a similarly sized linebacker with great football instincts and despite this recent controversy excellent leadership skills. He would be a good fit starting next to Dannell Ellerbe and would upgrade the Ravens pass coverage as Lewis was no longer a high level pass defender.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
31114100.jpg

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I know Jeff Fisher has a history of not taking OL in the first round, but if they take a good safety (Vaccaro or whomever it ends up being) with the highest graded guard prospect in a decade still on the board I'll be disappointed to say the least.

Tavon Austin I have less issue with.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's the first draft I've seen with so many WR going early.

Not sure I see that happening?

Then again; that's the positions that rise (along with QBs etc).

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:

I was thinking the same thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:

DO NOT question the great and powerful Lande.

k3lUm0q.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

DO NOT question the great and powerful Lande.

k3lUm0q.jpg

Lol.

He is one of my favorites, however.

Truthfully.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
If Jones makes it to the Saints there will be a lot of partying going on in the French Quarter that night.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I would be really disappointed if Warmack somehow fell to the Rams only to see them pass on him.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Does anybody really see Fisher taking a shrimp-sized receiver over, say, Ogletree in the first round? And make no mistake it is Fishers call. Its all just a guess, but I don't see either one of these players drafted in those spots. Especially Austin. Our offense has to improve and a safety and part-time receiver isn't gonna get it. Great value in the second and third for a safety. It's time to draft offensive talent high. But think guys who are a physical mis-match. Warmack. Pass catching TE. I dought all those receivers go that early. Patterson,Allen would be good picks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SaneRamsFan said:
Does anybody really see Fisher taking a shrimp-sized receiver over, say, Ogletree in the first round? And make no mistake it is Fishers call. Its all just a guess, but I don't see either one of these players drafted in those spots. Especially Austin. Our offense has to improve and a safety and part-time receiver isn't gonna get it. Great value in the second and third for a safety. It's time to draft offensive talent high. But think guys who are a physical mis-match. Warmack. Pass catching TE. I dought all those receivers go that early. Patterson,Allen would be good picks.
I don't think height would be a determining factor for Fisher. You can either get open or you can't. Guys like Amendola, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, etc., all have a knack for getting open and you don't need to rely on them to win jump balls. That's what guys like Pettis and Quick are for. There are tons of ways to utilize a guy like Austin, and the chance to get a legit PR/KR as well as a dynamic *playmaker*, are things that I'm sure Fisher is mulling over in his mind as we speak.

Whether they go that way ... who knows. But I wouldn't count him out just because he's a few inches shy of Gibson.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
X said:
SaneRamsFan said:
I don't think height would be a determining factor for Fisher. You can either get open or you can't. Guys like Amendola, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Wes Welker, DeSean Jackson, etc., all have a knack for getting open and you don't need to rely on them to win jump balls. That's what guys like Pettis and Quick are for. There are tons of ways to utilize a guy like Austin, and the chance to get a legit PR/KR as well as a dynamic *playmaker*, are things that I'm sure Fisher is mulling over in his mind as we speak.

Whether they go that way ... who knows. But I wouldn't count him out just because he's a few inches shy of Gibson.

I like the player and what he can bring. I just don't like him in the first round. But you are right-don't count it out. It's just me speculating like all the rest of us waiting for our Christmas presents. Hell, Snead and fisher both might have their fingers crossed that this guys is there. It's amazing how much differently the guys who actuallly make the picks see things compared to us as fans.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
MerlinJones said:
I know Jeff Fisher has a history of not taking OL in the first round, but if they take a good safety (Vaccaro or whomever it ends up being) with the highest graded guard prospect in a decade still on the board I'll be disappointed to say the least.

Tavon Austin I have less issue with.

Yup me too. Warmack > Any saftey.

Tavon...IDK. I wonder if he's just another role player.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
SaneRamsFan said:
X said:
SaneRamsFan said:

I like the player and what he can bring. I just don't like him in the first round. But you are right-don't count it out. It's just me speculating like all the rest of us waiting for our Christmas presents. Hell, Snead and fisher both might have their fingers crossed that this guys is there. It's amazing how much differently the guys who actuallly make the picks see things compared to us as fans.
You got that right. Watch them end up drafting a DT and TE with the 1st rounders. :what:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
SaneRamsFan said:
X said:
SaneRamsFan said:

You got that right. Watch them end up drafting a DT and TE with the 1st rounders. :what:

I went back and looked at the last decade worth of Titans picks and was pretty surprised at just how often they'd draft DL, DB, TE, RB in no particular order. That seemed to make up the bulk of their first four picks...often. Sometimes a LB sprinkled in there too. It seemed they'd only pull the trigger on skill positions if it was a sure fire bargain.
http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php?o=by_team&TeamID=9007

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
I went back and looked at the last decade worth of Titans picks and was pretty surprised at just how often they'd draft DL, DB, TE, RB in no particular order. That seemed to make up the bulk of their first four picks...often. Sometimes a LB sprinkled in there too. It seemed they'd only pull the trigger on skill positions if it was a sure fire bargain.
I wonder how that meshes with Les Snead's preferences. When he was with the Falcons they were all over the map in terms of how they drafted in the first few rounds. It's kinda hard to get a read on what they (Snead, Fisher) prefer because they say they like freak athletes that they can coach up with their assistants, but then say that playmakers really don't refer to skill position players only. Which means, I guess, if there's a dominant O-lineman, they'll take him over a top tier receiver who's maybe a notch below on their grading scale.

Snead's tenure in Atlanta had a lot of drafts (1997-2011), and it's almost impossible to gauge what they're looking for.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/draft.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm</a>

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
I wonder how that meshes with Les Snead's preferences. When he was with the Falcons they were all over the map in terms of how they drafted in the first few rounds. It's kinda hard to get a read on what they (Snead, Fisher) prefer because they say they like freak athletes that they can coach up with their assistants, but then say that playmakers really don't refer to skill position players only. Which means, I guess, if there's a dominant O-lineman, they'll take him over a top tier receiver who's maybe a notch below on their grading scale.

Snead's tenure in Atlanta had a lot of drafts (1997-2011), and it's almost impossible to gauge what they're looking for.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/draft.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... /draft.htm</a>

Never did see the Snead era drafts. Thanks for the linkage, El Duderino.