Runningback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

So the best example of a successful team with a RBBC, is a team that lost by 20 in the divisional round, 7 years ago? That's not a real compelling argument.

wasn't making one - you asked for a specific list of the teams that had success.

I'd consider making the playoffs with Delhomme as your QB a success

And lets downplay either that they lost to a HOF Qb in Warner and also the eventual NFC superbowl represenatives

the best example would be the bears - but i'd never say Foles is down to the level of Grossman and Delhomme either

iced

can't believe I didn't think of this before

Look at Big ben's rookie season - he WAS HORRIBLE in the super bowl (and other parts of the post season..most notably the colts game where they almost were knocked out) , but the commitee of Parker/Bettis took that team off into the sunset

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
If you define success as making the playoffs, sure you can find some teams that had an RBBC. The Eagles in 2001 had a trio of RBs, and lost in the NFCCG. But you'll also find a lot more teams with elite RBs that were in the playoffs (e.g. the Cowboys just this year with Demarco Murray).

The Steelers in 2005 might be another good example, although Roethlisberger was not a rookie and had a 98 QB rating on the year. I'd call that pretty close to elite though, so the '06 Bears might still be a better example.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What team has succeeded with a running back by committee without an elite QB? If neither Foles nor Mason are elite, odds are low that the Rams will go very far this year.

So the best example of a successful team with a RBBC, is a team that lost by 20 in the divisional round, 7 years ago? That's not a real compelling argument.

I have an example for you:

A team called the Rams ruled the NFC West from 1973 - 1979. They never had an elite QB, and always ran the ball by committee. Lawrence McCutcheon was the featured back, but shared all the RB duties with Jim Bertelsen, Tony Baker, Larry Smith, Cullen Bryant and John Cappelletti. The results of "the hell of a dynasty" were my loyalty solidified forever to the Rams:

75-26-1 record / 6 straight NFC West Titles / NFC Conference title 1979.

Last edited:

iced

I have an example for you:

A team called the Rams ruled the NFC West from 1973 - 1979. They never had an elite QB, and always ran the ball by committee. Lawrence McCutcheon was the featured back, but shared all the RB duties with Jim Bertelsen, Tony Baker, Larry Smith, Cullen Bryant and John Cappelletti. The results of "the hell of a dynasty" were my loyalty solidified forever to the Rams:

75-26-1 record / 6 straight NFC West Titles / NFC Conference title 1979.

They also had Erick Dickerson in the 80'sand never reached the super bowl (outside his rookie year, which he was no where no elite then in '79)

SierraRam

Recreational User
So 1 Super Bowl team, 36 years ago? The game was completely different back then. I mean, Rich Saul, the starting center back then, was 241lbs.

Stand down fellow fan. You asked for an example and I gave you one. And the parallels of the 1973 Rams and our current team are many. If I felt you wanted to discuss them, I take the time to do so, but I have a feeling that's not on your agenda... Goodnight

jap

Legend
I don't agree with any of those things...

You may disagree all you please, it makes no difference to me. You can easily look up his 40-yard time and compare that to the other backs besides Tavon. Isaiah has been the most natural pass catching RB and the best pass blocking back since he has been a Ram, with the possible exception of SJ's pass blocking efforts in his last season in Saint Louis.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Isaiah is an intriguing prospect. He's the best pass blocker in the RB unit, the best pass receiver, and the fastest runner not named Tavon. I thought he may have been finally ready to really deliver on his potential when he went down last pre-season.
I don't agree with any of those things...

I agree on his pass blocking skills. The speed differences are negligible IMO so it doesn't really matter who is a millisecond faster in a 40 yard dash. Yet I can't recall is receiving ability to be honest.

He was also very undependable and careless with the ball. He competes in camp for a special teams spot, but unless he shows more in pre-season, won't be considered part of this RB unit IMO. Right now he is a pre-season cut.

jjab360

Legend
You may disagree all you please, it makes no difference to me. You can easily look up his 40-yard time and compare that to the other backs besides Tavon. Isaiah has been the most natural pass catching RB and the best pass blocking back since he has been a Ram, with the possible exception of SJ's pass blocking efforts in his last season in Saint Louis.
He might be slightly faster than the other backs, but he's also about 15-20 lbs lighter than all of them so it doesn't mean much. Stacy is a better pass blocker and Cunningham is a better receiver. I know this because we've seen both of them do it a ton and look good at it and we've seen very little of Pead doing pretty much anything of note.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't think the RB's have much to do with what teams are...and what teams aren't winning Super Bowls.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think the RB's have much to do with what teams are...and what teams aren't winning Super Bowls.

I agree. There's a reason RBs don't go high much anymore in the draft and why a young guy like Stacy can rush for almost a 1000 in only 2/3rds of a season and still barely rate a 5th round pick in a trade.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll be the first one to admit that i'm a bit too Old school at times...but I've looked pretty thoroughly into the SB teams over the last 20 years or so(the numbers and trends), and I still believe that it pretty much starts and stops with QB and defense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Don't get me wrong. Running the ball, controlling the clock and stopping the run are extremely important...but i just don't believe that "how" you go about running the ball makes much of a difference. Either by committee or feature back. For THIS team as constructed now, and with the recent landscape of highly touted RB's coming out and failing...I like the committee approach. Keep the stable competitive and fresh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll be the first one to admit that i'm a bit too Old school at times...but I've looked pretty thoroughly into the SB teams over the last 20 years or so(the numbers and trends), and I still believe that it pretty much starts and stops with QB and defense.
Mojo drops the mike, and walks off stage....

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Micheal Bush IMO would be worth league minimum,and would by the tone of this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...reeagent-rb-michael-bush-there-goes-my-career

be willing to take it and for short distances a 4.9 back can hit the hole as fast as a 4.5 in fact a 20 time is good enough for me.

I'd like it if that back could be SJ , but I doubt he'd humble himself and take.l

IMO we need a big back a real big back to complete our stable.