Runningback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32, I can't remember ever disagreeing with you, but I do here. Mason was arguably the best RB in the draft last year and Stacy almost gained 1000 yards in 11 games the year before. Cunningham does everything asked of him. Of course, like Mason, if a supremely talented player falls to us, we take him, but we're going into this draft needing 2-3 solid OL's. We must also take care of our needs - and RB isn't anywhere near the top of that list. Next year we'll have the luxury of strictly drafting BPA.

I don't see the HB position as any different than the WR position for us. Talented young guys with depth but we don't have a proven #1 type.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like all our RBs but I also like a few in this draft. But to be comfy picking one, I'd like to see us gain a couple more drafts picks along the way.

bskrilla

Starter
I think we're all overlooking Isaiah Pead in this conversation.

I mostly kid, but he was playing very well in ST and was coming on as a pass catcher before he got hurt. Still interested to see if he has anything to give, although my expectations are basically 0.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Watts, and don't forget about Pead. He looked like he finally had his head in the right place and was primed for a breakout year before his injury. I still believe he could be the Rams top back. He has the skills.

Pho Kadat

Rookie

I mostly kid, but he was playing very well in ST and was coming on as a pass catcher before he got hurt. Still interested to see if he has anything to give, although my expectations are basically 0.
Ooo. I did forget about iPead.

bskrilla

Starter
Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Watts, and don't forget about Pead. He looked like he finally had his head in the right place and was primed for a breakout year before his injury. I still believe he could be the Rams top back. He has the skills.

Not sure about top back but I liked what I was seeing before he went down. I think he still has the potential to contribute.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

I noticed he was in the Nick Foles video and said hi to him. He looked like he just got done working out and looked to be in good spirits and good shape. I'm a Pead fan, the way he catches the ball and moves is natural and intriguing. I'd give him one more camp to see what he can do. He has a different skill set compared to the other backs. I see Marshall Faulk lite if he can deliver on his potential.

Last edited:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And there is no guarantee that any back in this draft will be better than what we already have. Especially without a major upgrade to the O line.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I don't see the HB position as any different than the WR position for us. Talented young guys with depth but we don't have a proven #1 type.

Fair enough, but I think Mason's going to prove you wrong. IMO he's a #1 RB. We'll see... :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough, but I think Mason's going to prove you wrong. IMO he's a #1 RB. We'll see... :)

He might be. But I said proven. I think Quick could be a #1 WR too. But he hasn't proven that yet either.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm good with the RB by committee philosophy. I like it because you have a few players that all know the offense equally, yet bring a different skillset. I like it because it removes the unknown when you suffer an injury. I like it because it breeds competition. I like it because you're not overpaying for one guy that will cry and whine about his carries.

The only thing i'd like to see improved is the 3rd down back. It's Benny's job right now, and i like what Benny brings to the table...but we could use a true 3rd down back with great hands, who can get out and run a route and read a blitz consistently.

SierraRam

Recreational User
He might be. But I said proven. I think Quick could be a #1 WR too. But he hasn't proven that yet either.

765 yards in 12 games / 4.3 yards per carry / 1 fumble lost in 179 carries / - All this behind a line that featured a rookie LT, a washed-up Center, and the worst RG in NFL history. Tre had an outstanding rookie season. I'm convinced we have our back...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm good with the RB by committee philosophy. I like it because you have a few players that all know the offense equally, yet bring a different skillset. I like it because it removes the unknown when you suffer an injury. I like it because it breeds competition. I like it because you're not overpaying for one guy that will cry and whine about his carries.

The only thing i'd like to see improved is the 3rd down back. It's Benny's job right now, and i like what Benny brings to the table...but we could use a true 3rd down back with great hands, who can get out and run a route and read a blitz consistently.

Could say the same thing about a WR by committee philosophy.

I still want a great player. The question is if I can find one.

765 yards in 12 games / 4.3 yards per carry / 1 fumble lost in 179 carries / - All this behind a line that featured a rookie LT, a washed-up Center, and the worst RG in NFL history. Tre had an outstanding rookie season. I'm convinced we have our back...

I wouldn't call it outstanding. He played well. As I said before, I feel the same way about our WR corp as I do about our HBs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'm not saying we shouldn't look for a TE in the draft, I just don't think there are gonna be many - or any - good options. Doesn't seem like a great draft for it. Maybe some UFA's brought in but let's not forget our practice squad guys, they've got some spark.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
No to Pead. He has the worst case of happy feet there is. I dont care how well he is doing in the gym. He did not look good on the field except for on ST's, And we can find UDFA's who can do that. Physically and talent wise he is top notch, but he still over thinks what to do when the ball is in his hands and acts like he is on dancing with the stars. I dont mind having him in camp and seeing if he has improved and what he can do, but right now he is last on the depth chart for me and very expendable. Could easily be replaced.

I would love to have a true #1 back like Gurley, but I want to see what Mason/Stacy/Cunningham can do behind an above average line also. Could be really good. We shall see.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Scott Wells and Davin Joseph could make Marshawn Lynch look average. Tre Mason will be a top RB with time. We have bigger problems than supplementing our talented, young, and deep RB stable.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't think we need a RB or wr . Mason is going to be a beast behind a good ol. Hell he carried Auburn to the championship. He was there offense. I also feel we don't need a wr. We have 2 receivers with #1 ability Quick and Britt. The only thing that's hold in us back on offense is a qb and line. I would draft a wr between 3rd and 7th to compete with Givens for last spot

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You could, but you would be misinterpreting my point.

I might be. Out of curiosity, what point am I misinterpreting? Are you comfortable with the WR corp as well?

Your reasoning for the committee approach holds just as true at WR as it does at HB. Point is that a great WR is a great WR. A great HB is a great HB. They're game changing players and you don't turn them down if you have a shot at one. It's actually pretty easy to argue that a great HB has a greater impact on the game than a great WR.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
How many defensive oriented SB teams didn't have an elite RB? The 2002 Buccaneers are the only one that comes to mind, and they had a decent passing game that year under Gruden. But look at all of the SB teams that had a top 5 defense plus a top 5 RB:

2013, 2014 Seahawks (Marshawn Lynch)
2012 49ers (Frank Gore)
2005 Seahawks (Shaun Alexander)
2003 Panthers (Stephen Davis)
2001 Ravens (Jamal Lewis)
1999 Titans (Eddie George)
1998 Falcons (Jamal Anderson)

Do you think Tre Mason can become an elite RB? Do you think Nick Foles can become an elite QB? You pretty much need one or the other to win the SB these days.