Runningback

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Is Tre Mason enough? I liked what I saw last year but he didn't strike me as elite. I guess what I'm saying is I got a hint from watching Tre that his ceiling is below top 10 back status in the league.

Stacy is a mystery, not many carries for him over the course of the year. Maybe it really just is because while he's consistent in what he can do and get you, his ceiling is even lower than Mason's.

So... with so many good backs in this draft... do we even look at one of them?

We have a bevy of capable backs in Mason, Cunningham, Watts and Stacy... but I doubt any are capable of being a top 10 back.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Hard to tell but I believe both are very talented and all they need is better Oline play. The QBs and the RBs are getting killed out there.

Ltrautman

MIZ
I think anyone who can break several of Bo Jackson's records at Auburn can become elite. If he had been behind a better OLine you probably would have seen him as elite

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tre is a good back. Much better than Stacy in terms of game-breaking type. I still believe both are not built for the long haul...Stacy in style of runner, Tre in size of runner...Would I rather have Gurley? Hell yeah...

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I'd take QB and TE out of that equation in this draft. Not sure there are guys at those positions worth taking over other positions throughout the entire draft.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
didn't he almost have a 1,000 yards and didn't play until week 5 and then didn't actually start until week 8 or 9. and did all that behind one of the shittiest Olines in the league. not to mention being probably the second fastest player on the team behind tavon and hits like a bowling ball. oh and he broke Bo Jacksons records in college. not trying to be a dick but idk why anyone would think he doesn't at least have the potential to be great considering what hes already done in such a small sample size.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think anyone who can break several of Bo Jackson's records at Auburn can become elite. If he had been behind a better OLine you probably would have seen him as elite

And don't forget Stacy led the SEC in rushing yards at Vanderbilt....that doesn't happen every year!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Mason is, at least until the draft, the youngest guy on the team. He will get better.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
That and we had no consistency from the qb position so it's also a given he faced 8 in the box more often than not.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I feel this is strictly a committee situation. It's a bit tough to digest for a franchise that's seen 3 HoF quality backs over the last 30 years, but it's true.

The combo of these guys naturally complement each other. I see no need for a true #1 back when you can keep the rotation fresh throughout the year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
The only way I would even consider drafting a back, is if the rams traded back about ten spots, grabbed an extra second and third doing so, and Gordon was available somehow. Then go with o line the next two rounds, so our new back doesn't die right away.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
RB is not high on my priority list until the O-Line is fixed!

Pho Kadat

Rookie
We have a very interesting backfield and every one of our RBs are capable of handling a chuck of the load. Mason is your slash 'n dash, big-play back who is also unafraid to hit the hole. Majority share is his. Stacy is a straight-line, lower-the-boom back. I like him for the tough yards and I think he needs more playing time specifically in those situations. Cunningham is the best all-around back suited for 3rd-downs for pass blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield -- not to mention that he's not too shabby running the rock either. And then there's Watts -- a smaller back similar to Mason but with better pass catching skills.

All-in-all, I'm good with what we've got, it's just a matter of finding the best time to utilize all these players.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Luckily we don't need a hall of famer at every position, we just needa bunch of good guys and get a good damn team going. We need to work on O-line, fix our actual holes before we go about getting things in excess.

SierraRam

Recreational User
We're fine at RB. Mason can and will be a Top-10 back - once we fix the blah blah blah...............................

I wouldn't mind seeing more two-back sets with Stacy or Cunningham at FB - Both are smart, good blockers and receivers.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
We have a great backfield in my opinion. Tre hits 1000 yards easy this year, benny is an explosive pass catcher on 3rd down and an amazing kick returner, stacy is our downhill back.

We have watts who seems to be a mixture of benny and tre.

We have great options and with additions in the OL, we should be decent running the ball this year

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a HB presents good value, take him. We're not set at the position. If we trade down, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to drafting Todd Gurley.

SierraRam

Recreational User
If a HB presents good value, take him. We're not set at the position. If we trade down, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to drafting Todd Gurley.

@jrry32, I can't remember ever disagreeing with you, but I do here. Mason was arguably the best RB in the draft last year and Stacy almost gained 1000 yards in 11 games the year before. Cunningham does everything asked of him. Of course, like Mason, if a supremely talented player falls to us, we take him, but we're going into this draft needing 2-3 solid OL's. We must also take care of our needs - and RB isn't anywhere near the top of that list. Next year we'll have the luxury of strictly drafting BPA.