Round 6 Pick 39 (215) - OG Cody Wichmann

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Lol at JT, no matter what happens, he whines like a bitch.

I hate that he tried to embarrass every freaking pick we made. He needs to go.
he's just unable to contain his bitterness. I'm just so thankful that we have ROD, because where else would we go for information & discussion?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
he's just unable to contain his bitterness. I'm just so thankful that we have ROD, because where else would we go for information & discussion?
It was comical at first, but i think he was just hateful in those interviews to some of our picks. Can't excuse that.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It was comical at first, but i think he was just hateful in those interviews to some of our picks. Can't excuse that.
haven't seen the interviews yet. will look for them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
haven't seen the interviews yet. will look for them.
Don't bother. He's just past the point of being a professional reporter, IMO. Every twitter dig, etc. Said things like, were you surprised to go this early? JT wouldn't know talent if it landed on his face and wiggled. His chats are ridiculous. I won't say another word about him on this forum. He's dead to me.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Lol at JT, no matter what happens, he whines like a bitch.

I hate that he tried to embarrass every freaking pick we made. He needs to go.

I like that at this point JT could say "That's an awesome pick, well done Rams" and people would take it as him being sarcastic and actually hating the pick.

jjab360

Legend
Concerned that we don't have a shutdown corner. We have a stable of really good corners, but we need one to become the guy who doesn't blow the big play to the star receiver.

Last season Rams go to the playoffs with better corners IMHO.
We talking Sherman and Revis here, because it'd have to be some great CBs to make a 4 win difference. As in, I don't think there are any CBs in this draft who were actually that good or to be more specific that much better than the corners we already have on the roster.

RamBill

Legend
Total breakdown: Rams draft OL Cody Wichmann in sixth round
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...wn-rams-draft-ol-cody-wichmann-in-sixth-round

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- A few quick thoughts on the St. Louis Rams' sixth-round draft pick:

The pick: Cody Wichmann, guard, Fresno State

My take: At this point, it might be easier to just copy and paste previous takes. The Rams have now taken seven consecutive offensive players, including four linemen. Like with Iowa offensive lineman Andrew Donnal, the addition of Wichmann simply boils down to adding bodies who can come in and compete. The Rams need starters and depth on the offensive line, so there should be an opportunity for Wichmann to come in and compete for a spot. Again, the more bodies they bring in, the better the chance that one or more will become contributors.

The Mankins connection: Before we even delve into this topic, let's be clear that nobody is comparing Wichmann to former Patriots star Logan Mankins. Now that that's out of the way: It's interesting to note that Wichmann attended the same high school -- Mariposa High in Mariposa, California -- and same college as Mankins. Wichmann calls Mankins his favorite athlete because "he's a great lineman, role model and he deserves a lot of respect." Nobody should reasonably expect Wichmann to come in and play for the Rams right away, and he'll likely have to battle for a roster spot, but at the very least he has tried to follow in the footsteps of a pretty good player.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Cody Wichmann | OG, Fresno StateHeight: 6-5 Weight: 319Starting right guard on offense in the Mountain West that averaged 547.8 yards per game. He has versatility to play along the line and ran a sub-5.0 40-yard dash at 6-foot-5, 319 pounds.

RamzFanz

Damnit
We talking Sherman and Revis here, because it'd have to be some great CBs to make a 4 win difference. As in, I don't think there are any CBs in this draft who were actually that good or to be more specific that much better than the corners we already have on the roster.

Yeah, I didn't mean the draft nessecarily, just that we need a shutdown corner for the #1 receiver. Many of the Rams losses were from getting burned on the long ball or missed coverages as I recall.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Am I the only one who believes that this kid just might be the steal of the this draft class? The E.J. Gaines of OLinemen.

Limey

Rookie
Just saw his Pro Day numbers, which don't mesh with the description of him as a below average athlete. Coach Boo might have something to work with here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Might be the 2014 draft version of EJ Gaines here boys!:heh:

I have a gut feeling here with this pick & its positive. :bueller:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I can't figure out how to copy and paste paragraphs on my iPad but the section on him in the below link mentions some of the numbers from his Pro Day.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2015/03/25/4446982_fresno-state-pro-day-notebook.html?rh=1

Thanks for the information I thought it was good enough to post.

Ex-Fresno State offensive guard Cody Wichmann went from his Pro Day workout into a meeting with representatives of the Atlanta Falcons, and the first-team all-conference selection could attract more attention while following a path similar to that of ex-teammate Austin Wentworth.

Wentworth had a solid Pro Day a year ago and ended up signing immediately after the draft with Minnesota, where last season he played in seven games. Wichmann put up some numbers of his own that rival those turned in by linemen at last month’s combine.

His bench press number was down (he did 20 reps at 225 pounds), in part due to a shoulder cleanup after the season. But he ran the 40 in 4.95, had a broad jump of 8 feet, 10 inches and a vertical leap of 27 inches. At the combine, only one offensive lineman ran a sub-5.0 40 — Ali Marpet out of NCAA Division III Hobart College.

The broad-jump number would have tied for 12th among offensive linemen and the vertical for 25th.

“He did a pretty good job,” Fresno State offensive line coach Cameron Norcross said. “He ran well, changed direction well. From an athletic standpoint, he has always had that stuff. He looks good. He’s carrying the weight he has real well. I thought he moved really well.”

Limey

Rookie
But he ran the 40 in 4.95, had a broad jump of 8 feet, 10 inches and a vertical leap of 27 inches. At the combine, only one offensive lineman ran a sub-5.0 40 — Ali Marpet out of NCAA Division III Hobart College.
That was the one that really caught my eye as well. Marpet went from nowhere to suddenly being a midround draft pick based on his 40 time.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think I like Wichmann best of all the OL picked.

I really like Havenstein, but he tends to "follow the crowd" at times. Wichmann looked like a Pro among amateurs when I watched him. Good set, good punch, GREAT wall off and he handled Leonard Williams well, a guy who went top 5.

Wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if Wichmann beat out Jamon Brown for the RG spot and started. Guy's got 50 starts under his belt and his pass pro is good, plus he gets to the second level quickly.

I think they want Barks back. I do.

Presuming they do get Barks back, I think they will have tremendous youth and depth in case of injury, but should have an OL ready to go and wreck the league come the first game.

Robinson // Saffold // Jones* // Wichmann // Barksdale * could be Jones, Barnes or Rhaney depending on a number of factors.

Now, THAT OL looks good to me. With the depth we'll have based on who we drafted, I really feel good about our OL. Wouldn't surprise me if Barks isn't getting push that Havenstein steps in. Plus, LG is the easier of the two Guard spots (forget which guard was saying that, but one long time pro OG was saying that RG was significantly harder to play than LG and it's not a matter of side and technique, but responsibilities), so I could see Jamon Brown stepping in and spelling Saffold if he gets dinged as he tends to do and us shifting to running a bit more to the left side behind the big slice of ham...lol.

Still... Wichmann looks like our steal of the draft. Damn. I mean, his set...his wall off... Gurley behind this guy will break huge runs because he seals like no guy we've had since Timmerman.

I'm saying, I think he's gotta be a favorite for our RG spot. Coach Boo has got to LOVE this kid!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Am I the only one who believes that this kid just might be the steal of the this draft class? The E.J. Gaines of OLinemen.
Memphis thanks for all the updates & drafting research....

That said I was very surprised with the draft of RB at first.Wow this Todd Gurley is a great(kid) interview .He is so confident in himself.
I liked The trade back to get the QB Mannion.Hammer talked about his confidence like Dan Marrino.I saw him on game changers for both WR & QB's and thought he throws a great timing route.Plus all the time spent on 6 QB's The Rams got there guy for free.
-----You know Bourdeu scouted players like crazy.It was said from the start when he came back as a Rams OLine coach he liked the big tall 6'6 w/ long arm guys at OT(RT),& could coach them up.The first 3 guys were just big guys.They all aged for solid running schools.
---This kid from Fresno St running a 4.95 at his size is freakish.Then knowing he could play against the best DT.I like the pick for that reason alone.
I was a huge EJ Gaines fan & wanted him early.The Rams did the exact same thing this year with the Offensive line,as the DB's last year.They got the type of players that fit there coaching staff.
Williams is going to have those DB's all playing together again & have a bright future.TJ McDonald will be a pro bowler.
This Offensive Line will have a great future & The Rams finally addressed it from the draft .No more high paid guys that eat the cap,but just old fashion competition.