Roster cuts/trades around the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah.
Very limited choices.
This usually would mean a vet that has meaningful starting experience.
Those don't come cheap however.

True.
But the Rams have invested a LOT into this season. It would be foolish to not invest a little more as insurance for Goff missing a few games. There's no practical way for the Rams to cover for a season ending injury, but they can get help for him being out for a little while.

fearsomefour

Legend
True.
But the Rams have invested a LOT into this season. It would be foolish to not invest a little more as insurance for Goff missing a few games. There's no practical way for the Rams to cover for a season ending injury, but they can get help for him being out for a little while.
I don't disagree. I just done see practical answers that are a "proven" improvement.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is problem with trying to judge Mannion at this point. All of his work comes with an *.
Pre season, mop up time and one start which was treated like a pre season game by the Rams.
To get a real judge of what his potential is as a starter he would need a series of actual starts.
Meaning, getting to do what starters do.
Getting to contribute to the game plan, working all week in practice with the ones, having time to develop a rhythem with the starting receivers.
Then, given time to use that week in a game, learn, and donit again. Really, 6-8 consecutive starts I would think.
What I've seen of Jones he has potential but was limited. The first couple of games the play calling was so limited it gave little chance of success. The play calling loosened up a little after that. Jones was solid. At this point hard to tell if Mannion would better after a series of starts or not.
Sorry but if he can't hit a wide open #2 receiver how is he going to do any better with Cooks or Kupp or Woods? His issues aren't with his supporting cast it's with his skill set. You could put him out there instead of Warner in '99 and he still would suck.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Sorry but if he can't hit a wide open #2 receiver how is he going to do any better with Cooks or Kupp or Woods? His issues aren't with his supporting cast it's with his skill set. You could put him out there instead of Warner in '99 and he still would suck.

Well, of course he wouldn’t do well if you put him out there in ‘99, he’d only be 7 years old!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
Maybe.
Not all things are a linear progression.

dang

Legend
It's a tough business but I haven't seen any of the following from Mannion the last 2 years:
- Command of the offense
- Leadership (get fired up and bring the offense with him)
- Confidence in his passing (most of his passes are check down short passes)
- Ability to scramble out of a collapsing pocket
- Success (even short bursts like a couple of back to back series)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Manion’s actual nfl game was 2s vs 1s.

We trust McV in all things - why not this?
The “1’s” he was facing was one of the worst defenses in the league. Which equates to 2’s on a good team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is problem with trying to judge Mannion at this point. All of his work comes with an *.
Pre season, mop up time and one start which was treated like a pre season game by the Rams.
To get a real judge of what his potential is as a starter he would need a series of actual starts.
Meaning, getting to do what starters do.
Getting to contribute to the game plan, working all week in practice with the ones, having time to develop a rhythem with the starting receivers.
Then, given time to use that week in a game, learn, and donit again. Really, 6-8 consecutive starts I would think.
What I've seen of Jones he has potential but was limited. The first couple of games the play calling was so limited it gave little chance of success. The play calling loosened up a little after that. Jones was solid. At this point hard to tell if Mannion would better after a series of starts or not.
No asterisk needed. Results are results and his track record isn’t good.
What you explained is how you groom a starter, a guy you build the team around. Like Goff. Guys that aren’t starter worthy have to make the most of their opportunities, shine in not the most opportune situations. Mannion hasn’t done that.

fearsomefour

Legend
No asterisk needed. Results are results and his track record isn’t good.
What you explained is how you groom a starter, a guy you build the team around. Like Goff. Guys that aren’t starter worthy have to make the most of their opportunities, shine in not the most opportune situations. Mannion hasn’t done that.
Ok.
Other option is an older, more expensive vet.
Name one the Rams will spend money to get?
This is what I was suggesting (and lamb basted for) at the beginning of FA.
Don't see it happening now.

Ram65

Legend
I don't disagree. I just done see practical answers that are a "proven" improvement.

Ok.
Other option is an older, more expensive vet.
Name one the Rams will spend money to get?
This is what I was suggesting (and lamb basted for) at the beginning of FA.
Don't see it happening now.

I agree with you that a veteran would cost money the Rams don't have. It's late to bring someone else in to learn the offense too. It's also hard to find positives on Mannion. He seems to be nervous early on and throw check downs. He also is slow and has that long stride release. He does get better as the game goes on. Lots of drops in the Whiner game last year. I think with Gurley and the 1's he can win the easier games. Should be a priority next year.

Here is a list before the summer camps. Slim pickings.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-fitzpatrick-buccaneers-nick-foles/731474002/

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
23111019-C46A-4759-A5D7-DC93E4DF1B59.jpeg