Rodney Mcleod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
For those that think Snisher doesn't value Safeties. Wasn't Byrd one of the few first day FAs we kicked the tires on? Actions speak louder than words.

It was "reported" they were kicking the tires. But obviously, they weren't serious about investing much into the process.

I never said they wouldn't upgrade if possible. But don't shoot the messenger here. I am repeating exactly what K. Demoff has stated at the Season Ticket luncheons for the past TWO YEARS. And its all relative to how much value they place on the position compared to say D-Line or in this case CORNERBACK!

Alan

Legend
CoachO refining his view point:
It was "reported" they were kicking the tires. But obviously, they weren't serious about investing much into the process.

I never said they wouldn't upgrade if possible. But don't shoot the messenger here. I am repeating exactly what K. Demoff has stated at the Season Ticket luncheons for the past TWO YEARS. And its all relative to how much value they place on the position compared to say D-Line or in this case CORNERBACK!
I'm not shooting anyone unless my first wife wanders into my cross hairs. By accident.

How serious they were is just speculation. For all we know they were barely beaten out.

I know you're repeating what Demoff said but why would any of our FO tip our hands? The trouble with coach speak is that you never know when to believe what they're telling you. The other problem I have with your view point on this is that it's an "all else being equal" type view IMO. It may be true that Snisher views the safety position as less important (more on that later) than the CB position but that doesn't take into account the needs of the team and the probable availability of each position in the draft. That's only two of the additional factors that make up their decision as to who we will draft and when. If you need a safety and a CB and there are 100 CBs and only 1 S available which position is the most important to draft first then? Gross exaggeration of course but you see my point.

I know you saw a lot of Davis, Daniels and McLeod in TC last year and I trust your judgement on how they were performing. What I saw during the season with my own eyes, which admittedly are not very good :LOL:, didn't give me any warm fuzzies about any of them when it comes to playing center field. I saw Davis repeatedly take bad angles and Mcleod looked like a very good back up. Except when he was playing FS and then he didn't play as well.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about it all being relative concerning the value they place on each position but I think it's pretty obvious what 99% of all GMs/HCs feel about each position. Just look at the price for tagging a player at each position to find out the relative worth of each. So when Demoff said they placed less value on the safety position that was a big duh moment for me. Plus coach speak.

Like I said before, I agree with you that CB is a huge need. I think FS is equally as big a need but the point is we need both IMO. For me it still comes back to the dearth of safety talent in this draft as compared to the wealth of CB talent available.

We have lots of young guys on our team that might step up this year such as those you've mentioned plus guys like Ray Ray but they were all UDFAs for a reason and I'm not putting all my eggs in that basket. Some of them aren't looking too bad though. :)

Last edited:

stlrams_as

UDFA
Name
Austin
im just saying that might be the reason the rams are not active getting a safety. they said if there not better then what we have then no use in getting the free agent. all the good Fs are gone mcleod is better then the rest
As much as I am all for finding a veteran safety I have to agree that the safeties left on the market may not be that much better than McCleod. The only tipping point for me is if they can find someone equal to McCleod that has the teaching ability to add some knowledge to help progress the whole secondary.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
you call it "coach speak", but unless you were there, you really have no idea how he comes across in these events. He is much more direct and forthcoming than he has to be.

For example, regarding our starting safety from the previous year, he was very quick to point out how he "was the whipping boy" and he was very aware how fans felt about him. And he all but acknowledged that one "Mr. Craig Dahl" would not be in a Rams uniform in 2013.

That, to me, is NOT "coach speak" in a setting where the very people he is making those comments to are long time SEASON TICKET holders who have invested quite a bit into this franchise since they have been here.

When he makes a comment when answering a direct question regarding luring high dollar Free Agent SAFETIES, he bluntly said, that it was highly unlikely, given the philosophy of this coaching staff. He also was quick to deflect questions regarding specific players when it came to talking about the draft. So, if you want to say that is where the "coach speak" comes into play, I'll give you that.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we have 2 guys who are serviceable at safety in Mcleod and Davis but if we get the opportunity to get an impact player in the draft I think we have to take it. A rangy ballhawk in the secondary would do wonders for our d

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Let's not count out Matt the Hat damn it! Of course I suppose he has to be healthy enough to see the field.:unsure:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I see very little mention of TJ in this thread. Very strange. I know it was originally started about Mcleod, but has since morphed into more of a S position discussion. I think that kid (McDonald) has playmaker written all over him.....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's not count out Matt the Hat damn it! Of course I suppose he has to be healthy enough to see the field.:unsure:

if he had done his knee again i would agree with you but he was an unfortunate recipient of a player landing on his leg and breaking it after an ill advised kickoff return by cunningham. damn i hated cunningham after that play.

it took me awhile before i warmed back up to him.

daniels was looking pretty good before that unfortunate incident.

Alan

Legend
Faceplant liking the other:
I see very little mention of TJ in this thread. Very strange. I know it was originally started about Mcleod, but has since morphed into more of a S position discussion. I think that kid (McDonald) has playmaker written all over him.....
And that's a good thing Faceplant. Obviously everyone is happy/satisfied about his play at the other safety position. The fact that none of our picky posters (and we know who you/we are ;)) are talking about an upgrade at his position (SS) says a lot about what the board thinks of him doesn't it? :)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And that's a good thing Faceplant. Obviously everyone is happy/satisfied about his play at the other safety position. The fact that none of our picky posters (and we know who you/we are ;)) are talking about an upgrade at his position (SS) says a lot about what the board thinks of him doesn't it? :)

Ah, good point. Well, count me as one of the non picky posters who thinks the Davis/McLeod/Daniels team could be one of the more interesting battles come camp time. I think all can play at this level.

Alan

Legend
While we prefer the picky trouble causing dead horse beaters, we're not thinking we need to upgrade you either. (y)
Yet.:cautious:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Howze that crow tasting Alan?:rockon:

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 asking me for my recipe:
Howze that crow tasting Alan?:rockon:

Tastes pretty good with the right seasonings and a good dark beer.

If you'll remember though, why didn't I like drafting him? For the same reasons I think we still have a huge need for a legitimate FS. I feared he wouldn't fit the bill in that regard and guess what? I was right and that's why we still need to draft the player I wanted last year. I'm only eating crow because I like the way I prepare it.

Having said all that, I think he's filling a different hole in our D. It's not the hole I wanted to fill but it's a hole that needed filling at SS. He shows some good promise and while he's certainly not the player I wanted and not the player I'd draft if we could have "do overs", it's certainly not a wasted pick.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until I say some other stupid thing and I'm actually forced to eat crow. :p

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If you'll remember though, why didn't I like drafting him? For the same reasons I think we still have a huge need for a legitimate FS. I feared he wouldn't fit the bill in that regard and guess what? I was right and that's why we still need to draft the player I wanted last year. I'm only eating crow because I like the way I prepare it.

Having said all that, I think he's filling a different hole in our D. It's not the hole I wanted to fill but it's a hole that needed filling at SS. He shows some good promise and while he's certainly not the player I wanted and not the player I'd draft if we could have "do overs", it's certainly not a wasted pick.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until I say some other stupid thing and I'm actually forced to eat crow. :p

So you still think he is a real liability in coverage? I didn't see it that way but ok.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 missing my nuanced view:
So you still think he is a real liability in coverage? I didn't see it that way but ok.
As I've said before, I think he's shown some good man coverage skills so it would not be correct to say I think he's a liability in coverage. He's a liability playing centerfield. That's not the same thing in my opinion.

BTW, I also think JJ is a "liability" in coverage when he's playing zone. Just thought I'd mention that. Although the term liability is relative. I prefer less than stellar. :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As I've said before, I think he's shown some good man coverage skills so it would not be correct to say I think he's a liability in coverage. He's a liability playing centerfield. That's not the same thing in my opinion.

BTW, I also think JJ is a "liability" in coverage when he's playing zone. Just thought I'd mention that. Although the term liability is relative. I prefer less than stellar. :)
Not sure that is the case either. His senior year just isn't a good indicator of his football skills or instincts. But he was the only player USC had that could play that funky crossover position. The year before, he was anything but a liability in coverage.

I realize why many think he might be a SS only type of safety. It's one of the examples I can draw upon when we are talking about the talking heads and draftniks out there. I watched the kid play in college and being a liability in coverage was never something I would say about him. He wasn't much of a ball hawk but even that aspect of his game was affected by the way they played him that last year. He has pretty good ball skills when the ball is in the air. He just seems to choose to lay the wood once the player has the ball, rather than go for the strip ala OJ. So the draftniks watch his senior tape and assume he can't cover over the deep middle. It'd be like asking Dunbar to play center field in our defense.

He's not a true NFL FS but he was a FS at USC his sophomore and junior years when they were playing a more straight up defense.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Not sure that is the case either. His senior year just isn't a good indicator of his football skills or instincts. But he was the only player USC had that could play that funky crossover position. The year before, he was anything but a liability in coverage.

I realize why many think he might be a SS only type of safety. It's one of the examples I can draw upon when we are talking about the talking heads and draftniks out there. I watched the kid play in college and being a liability in coverage was never something I would say about him. He wasn't much of a ball hawk but even that aspect of his game was affected by the way they played him that last year. He has pretty good ball skills when the ball is in the air. He just seems to choose to lay the wood once the player has the ball, rather than go for the strip ala OJ. So the draftniks watch his senior tape and assume he can't cover over the deep middle. It'd be like asking Dunbar to play center field in our defense.

He's not a true NFL FS but he was a FS at USC his sophomore and junior years when they were playing a more straight up defense.
And he can really cover some ground. We don't use a traditional center-fielder anyways in our defense.