Rodney Mcleod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Mcleod didnt play that bad i think most of it was scheme just like with Cb. I think its a slight chance hes our Fs next year his stats compare to Chris clemons.

Rodney mcleod 63 solo tackles,16 assisted, 79 total,2 interceptions,2 forced fumbles 7 passes defended
(one of fumbles was on special teams)

Chris clemons 62 solo tackles,30 assisted, 90 total, 1 interception,0 forced fumbles, 8 passes defended

if you look at the statsthere compareable. so thats probaly why we are not looking at safty right now. Rodney is better or as good as whats left. Rodney is still 23 and i think he will get better. he might not be the fastest but byrd isnt fast either. i think Mcleod might be our safty next year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Jesus... I'm glad you aren't in our front office. No offense meant. He's not the answer. He may be a solid backup though. And we need solid backups, just like any football team.

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
im just saying that might be the reason the rams are not active getting a safety. they said if there not better then what we have then no use in getting the free agent. all the good Fs are gone mcleod is better then the rest

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Heck, our safeties weren't even tested! A ten yard coushin will do that for you.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeah... you guys make good points. And the draft isn't exactly loaded with safeties either. All I can say is that I am DAMN glad we have a real defensive coordinator now. He'll figure it out. God willing.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yeah... you guys make good points. And the draft isn't exactly loaded with safeties either. All I can say is that I am DAMN glad we have a real defensive coordinator now. He'll figure it out. God willing.

yea he will. what i think will happen is they draft Fs on day 2 and it will be between draft pick,Mcleod,Davis. best man will be our Fs

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
yea he will. what i think will happen is they draft Fs on day 2 and it will be between draft pick,Mcleod,Davis. best man will be our Fs

Wait! Who's Davis? What am I missing here? Like I said before, I like McLeod, but don't see him as a FS. I see him as a backup SS and special teams guy. Or maybe that's just residual Ram's Safety issues of my own.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcleod didnt play that bad i think most of it was scheme just like with Cb. I think its a slight chance hes our Fs next year his stats compare to Chris clemons.

Rodney mcleod 63 solo tackles,16 assisted, 79 total,2 interceptions,2 forced fumbles 7 passes defended
(one of fumbles was on special teams)

Chris clemons 62 solo tackles,30 assisted, 90 total, 1 interception,0 forced fumbles, 8 passes defended

if you look at the statsthere compareable. so thats probaly why we are not looking at safty right now. Rodney is better or as good as whats left. Rodney is still 23 and i think he will get better. he might not be the fastest but byrd isnt fast either. i think Mcleod might be our safty next year.

These type of stats don't tell you much about safety play.

lockdnram21

Legend
Wait! Who's Davis? What am I missing here? Like I said before, I like McLeod, but don't see him as a FS. I see him as a backup SS and special teams guy. Or maybe that's just residual Ram's Safety issues of my own.

cody davis.well we will just have to disagree. i think Rodney is going to be a decent fs. i think he got better as the season went on. i think the coach was the problem

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
cody davis.well we will just have to disagree. i think Rodney is going to be a decent fs. i think he got better as the season went on. i think the coach was the problem

The coach was definitely the problem. That's why he was fucking :shooting:(fired).

I just don't know what we have in McLeod. Which is why I'm hesitant to anoint him. Believe me... I would love it if he was the second coming of that guy in Seattle. I just don't think he is. That said, with a good defensive coordinator we just need a solid starter.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It may be a big mistake to judge Rodney McLeod hard off his 2013 season. On paper Rodney was our starting safety.....fact is McLeod played most of his 2013 season elsewhere than at safety!

I would also add that the 2013 season was his first season as starter like I said above he was not the Rams starting safety as much as McDonald& Stewart was due to Rodney playing Cortand Finnegan Nickle Back post.

Rams started the 2013 season with a rookie 3rd round pick & a second yr first time UDFA starting @ both safety posts but things soon went south with CF..........that should be taken into serious consideration before you start kicking Rodney too hard. The entire secondary looked soft and timid right from the beginning. Fisher & Greg Williams need to find a very good Nickel back either in Brandon McGee or in the draft thus permitting Rodney McLeod to perform finally for the first time as a starting safety and just a starting safety.

Now Rodney may not lock down the starting safety post in 2014 but The Rod had shown us that of the six safeties Fisher had on the team in 2013 he was there for every game & did all of what Fisher asked him to do whereas four other safeties had issues remaining healthy.

If Rodney was in front of me now I would give a high five and a serious ConGrats for his 2013 performance!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rodney is a bit on the short side for a FS. I know That Earl Thomas is also but he more than makes up for it with his instincts and the speed with which he plays the game.

Stewart is not a good tackler and I would be surprised if Fish thought of him as a longterm answer. McLeod is great depth but again a bit short and not fast enough for a rangy FS. I really think they take a Free Safety somewhere in the draft this year.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rodney is very young and I don't think we really know what we have in him yet. He had some bad plays for sure but he also played well at times - IMO. Still - are any of the FA vets out there that may fall to us any better?

Wow. My grammar sucks tonight but I'm too lazy to correct it.

lockdnram21

Legend
Rodney is very young and I don't think we really know what we have in him yet. He had some bad plays for sure but he also played well at times - IMO. Still - are any of the FA vets out there that may fall to us any better?

Wow. My grammar sucks tonight but I'm too lazy to correct it.

yep of course he had some bad plays but he improved and like somebody mentioned he didnt play safety most of the time

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2013 is a difficult year to evaluate our entire defensive back field. He whole unit regressed significant under Walton.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
After watching them perform throughout training camp on a daily basis, it was pretty clear the both McLeod and Cody Davis were the two guys who stood out in terms of play recognition, and anticipation skills. I think the "plan" all along was to have Stewart and McDonald be given every opportunity to win the starting jobs. But Stewart couldn't stay on the practice field, and it opened the door for McLeod.

I believe McLeod did a serviceable job at the other Safety spot. (Fisher does not make the SS/FS) distinction in his defense. I have also stated previously on other threads, that comments made by K. Demoff regarding the value placed on this position is not what it is at some of the other positions on the defensive side of the ball.

I would be quite surprised if the spent anything substantial in terms of a FA signing (so far that appears to be accurate), and while they may commit a mid round draft pick to bringing in yet another young player, I, for one, don't see that happening. I do however think they will be very active in drafting CB's.

McLeod and Cody Davis will be given the first looks at competing for the starting job. Also still in the mix is Matt Daniels, who faces a make or break year regarding his health. IF, (and its a BIG "IF") he can finally stay healthy, I think he can seriously compete.

C. Davis is at the exact same place in his development as McLeod was last year at this time. The difference being he is bigger, faster, and a much more consistent tackler than McLeod. I look forward to seeing him progress once training camp comes around.

McLeod is better as a depth guy, and is an outstanding Special Teams core player. They would be best served by having someone other than him as the other starting Safety.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I agree I love McLeod... Obviously he isn't a all pro as of yet but he sure as hell isn't afraid to come down a check you a good one when you have the ball. Poor guy couldn't get any consistency from Our DC or having to play nickel CB all the time. I see a lot of criticism of him and some is fair but most is not. I don't personally view Safety in the upcoming draft as big as a need as others since I think Greg Williams will take care of Mcleods development and he will be serviceable at the very least barring injuries.

Alan

Legend
For those that think Snisher doesn't value Safeties. Wasn't Byrd one of the few first day FAs we kicked the tires on? Actions speak louder than words.