Rodney McLeod going to Eagles 5 yr 37mil

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I blame Snead for this..McCloud and mayb Jenkins should have been locked up a year ago...this effing sucks/

I don't get this?

Everyone knew the cap was going up and their agents knew they would cash in. Why accept money on the lower cap when you can go to FA and let teams with a bunch of money drive the price up. The agents knew that was a possibility and that is exactly what happened and now they are both paid top 5 at their position without making the pro bowl. Can you really blame the rams for not offering top 5 at their position before FA or now? I don't

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they lose too many of the talented players on the team it will eventually negate some of the value gained in the RG3 trade.

That being said the Rams made decisions. I am sure they decided which players were the most important and which they could afford to lose with a replacement. I really think McLeod is replacable for the money it would have taken to keep him.

The only way they start MO is at SS and TJ as Free or Deep safety which is not ideal for TJ.

I don't know why you say that Mo cannot play FS. He is faster and more athletic than McLeod and for years everyone thought Mcleod was just a SS playing in the wrong place. I think they have in house guys that they feel are ready to step into the FS role and Mo is tops on the list.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
There is a lot that goes into managing a cap and they had to part with one Corner to make sure they have money for the future.......Maybe because of his position McLeod was deemed not worth overpaying for. I think the Eagles overpaid.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get this?

Everyone knew the cap was going up and their agents knew they would cash in. Why accept money on the lower cap when you can go to FA and let teams with a bunch of money drive the price up. The agents knew that was a possibility and that is exactly what happened and now they are both paid top 5 at their position without making the pro bowl. Can you really blame the rams for not offering top 5 at their position before FA or now? I don't
So injuries don't happen? Players often give up a huge payday in the future, for less money AND security now (I am talking about a deal before the 2015 season started)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We are ok. I hate to see Rodney hit the road but we got cap space to replace a serviceable replacement. It sucks a little but not devastating at this point. Sign our other guys quickly though!

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
So injuries don't happen? Players often give up a huge payday in the future, for less money AND security now (I am talking about a deal before the 2015 season started)

Injuries factor in, but thats part of the process of betting on yourself. If im Jenks or Mcleod and their representation I would bet on myself remaining healthy because both those guys dont really miss many games, instead of signing a deal that will look good at the time but could be way below market in a couple of months. Its a gamble, but if you are patient it can pay off for you big time and it clearly did in this situation. 9 mil looks good for Jenks in September, but 12.5 and being second only to Reevis in terms of pay looks way better in March.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injuries factor in, but thats part of the process of betting on yourself. If im Jenks or Mcleod and their representation I would bet on myself remaining healthy because both those guys dont really miss many games, instead of signing a deal that will look good at the time but could be way below market in a couple of months. Its a gamble, but if you are patient it can pay off for you big time and it clearly did in this situation. 9 mil looks good for Jenks in September, but 12.5 and being second only to Reevis in terms of pay looks way better in March.
Thats fine, but a lot of players sign early for security..The fact is that Snead didn't sign even one Rams FA (not counting Foles)..not one.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Absolutely. He's one of my favorite players in this draft because I think he's an impact difference maker on defense and should be there in round 2.
This kid can lay the wood, seriously, but it would suck to have to draft for our deepest position group before FA. So many damn holes to fill, so few picks.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Thats fine, but a lot of players sign early for security..The fact is that Snead didn't sign even one Rams FA (not counting Foles)..not one.

I am disheartened they didn't sign any of them as well, but who was consistent enough to deserve that contract extension?

Jenks- Probably the most realistic option, but also most likely to bet on himself in a contract year. Also wildy inconsistent until his contract year aka clamp season
Tru- lost his Job to EJ the prior season and was competing for that job going into camp. With Joyner at the nickel could have potentially fallen to the 4th CB role
Barron- role player and 4th LB/backup SS before the Tree injury
Hayes & Sims- 30 year old rotational ends
McLeod- first 2 years as a starter filled with blown coverages

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rodney isn't $7.5 million a year good. I would have paid him $6 million tops. I am unhappy we lost both him and Janoris but no reason to overpay for a solid, at best, player.

tonyl711

Starter
IMO they did just what they should have, they let FA determine his value and did not panic and overpay for him. everyone keeps talking about all the holes we have and only 6 draft picks, but we have alot of cap space, those holes should start filling in soon, some from within, EJ if healthy fills the hole made by JJs departure, MA could be a hole filler for RM, its way to early in FA to predict what we will need in the draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Best of luck Rodney. You earned it.
Thanks for the memories.
200.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea....he got way more overpaid than Jenkins. Way more.

Happy for Rodney....we'll miss Jenkins A LOT more. Our new pair of starting CBs combined to play in.......13 games last season....out of a possible 32. That doesn't make me feel too warm and fuzzy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Cody Davis takes over or if they move Joyner. I love Joyner at FS but we'd need to sign or draft a CB to replace him.(or sign and draft a CB)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if Cody Davis takes over or if they move Joyner. I love Joyner at FS but we'd need to sign or draft a CB to replace him.(or sign and draft a CB)

When we lost Jenkins, I think it sealed that we'll be drafting a CB within the first two days of the draft.

I like the idea of moving Joyner and drafting a CB myself.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On another note...our compensatory picks next year we'll be insane if we don't shell out a bunch of cash to someone...and those are going to become tradable...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On another note...our compensatory picks next year we'll be insane if we don't shell out a bunch of cash to someone...and those are going to become tradable...

i don't think you can trade comp picks.

jjab360

Legend
It sucks we couldn't bring him back, but the price tag was just too high.

And remember guys, Mcleod was an UDFA type talent Snead found who fit the system well, struggled through some growing pains and turned into a solid player. I'm happy for him but I don't think it will be difficult to find a replacement if he's not already on the roster (Joyner, Bryant, Davis).

I won't miss Jenkins at all though, once immature, always immature, has gotten beaten like a drum every year except his contract year, and I honestly think we'll be better off for it once Gaines and Roberson grow into their own.