Rodger Saffold placed on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right now the line is a mess. How did Atlanta put together a good OLine in one season by adding a few rarely used journeymen/castoffs?

They hired a Shanahan. Baltimore did the same thing last year by hiring Kubiak and Dennison.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh....you have your back-up center, starting at guard? Wichman, or Donnall...Leave Reynolds in his backup role...He can play every position....
And like some have said, I wonder how can Atlanta have a decent line? It must be the offense...quick passes, and quicker decisions by the QB...New England will have 3 rookies starting...3....rookies....must be the QB's & the offense...that are the main reasons behind a successful offense & successful offensive line.

I still don't think the line is playing as bad as some in here believe....Some passing plays have plenty of time.and 2.5 -3 seconds is plenty of time for most plays.....Look at Gurley's rushing yards, no problem there.......I still think it's a combination of wr's not getting "great" separation(in Foles eyes)...Foles not really knowing the playbook...and the overall consistency a QB develops from time with the players/OC.....

Saffold is a huge loss...but is not irreplaceable...

Yes, they moved Rhaney to RG during the preseason and I think he played well.

Atlanta? As I said...Shanahan.

New England? Combination of coaching and Brady.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Look at Gurley's rushing yards, no problem there
Gurley's yards are skewed by his big runs that are hiding that he's getting stuffed pretty often. I agree the line isn't as awful as some are saying, but the buzzkill is the lack of consistency.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im so glad that they signed Reynolds Sadly I don't think that this will be a big loss as Saffold was playing really bad this season. We may end up being better without him.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Meh, I'm done with Saffold anyways. We need to move on from him, this going down and wondering if he'll get back up has gotten old.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let me preface this rant by saying... I understand there are reasons why the organization and head coach do not disclose everything... however:

I am frustrated by the "surprise" announcements that have come out of Rams Park for years now.

* Saffold's injury didn't sound like a season ending one when the news came out initially.
* Now, we hear about Kendricks (pre-season injury)?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

/rant over/

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting on Kendricks' finger. Hopefully that was the root of his issues with drops (and the occasional blocking issue) and the surgery takes care of it. Wonder how long he'll be out.

Rainram

Starter
I wouldn't mind seeing Rhaney since we seem so intent on running the zone blocking. I actually think Rhaney looked good in the preseason in that respect. My concern with him would be the same I have with our rookies (and GR). Picking up blitzes, stunts, twists, etc.

As much as I agree with ya jrry...I disagree here. That line needs a Vet. (And while this part is pure speculation, but I wonder if Reynolds isn't equally intelligent and more of a vocal leader as compared to what seemed like a much more subdued Saffold). I like some of our other prospects (i.e. Wichmann and Rhaney), I think Reynolds needs to be in there, at least for now.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
If I was looking at players before the draft I would look for guys with natural strength. I realize all NFL players do work in the weight room, but guys like Saffold take it to another level. And they seem to get broken more easily.

Psycho_X

Legend
Reynolds I actually do not mind as guard. He has played well there in his career. As a tackle not so much. So this isn't the worst injury we could have.

Saffold, what can I say, apparently his shoulders aren't built to carry around those tree trunks he calls arms.

Kendricks has a torn ligament that might explain some drops. Does Jared Cook have torn ligaments in all of his fingers than?

RamBill

Legend
Rodger Saffold needs shoulder surgery, out for season
By Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13895516/rodger-saffold-st-louis-rams-rest-season-shoulder-injury

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams guard Rodger Saffold will miss the remainder of the 2015 season because of a right shoulder injury, coach Jeff Fisher said Thursday afternoon.

"He's going to require season-ending surgery, unfortunately," Fisher said. "Our doctors agreed with the second opinion, and so it will take place in the next couple of days."

The Rams placed Saffold on injured reserve, which means he will miss the rest of the season.

Saffold is scheduled for surgery with Dr. Frank Cordasco from the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York, according to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan. Cordasco repaired Saffold's left shoulder in January.

In addition, Fisher announced tight end Lance Kendricks had surgery Monday to repair a torn ligament in his finger. He had been playing with the injury since Week 1.

Kendricks isn't expected to be out long, but Fisher indicated he could be questionable for the team's next game against Cleveland on Oct. 25. Tight end Justice Cunningham was promoted from the practice squad to take Saffold's spot on the roster.

Veteran Garrett Reynolds will step into one of the starting spots at guard in Saffold's place. With Saffold out, Reynolds instantly becomes the team's most experienced starting lineman. He's played 57 games at right tackle and both guard spots since entering the league in 2009.

Saffold also had offseason surgery on his left shoulder after suffering a similar injury -- and continuing to play with it -- last season.

The Rams and Saffold, after getting a second opinion, decided it was best not to again play through the injury. With the projected recovery time, the Rams believe Saffold will be back to 100 percent around February or March.

"Once we got both opinions together, he was willing to try to play, but inevitably it's going to come out again when you're talking about the condition of the shoulder," Fisher said. "So we just felt like for career-wise, future-wise, it's best to get it fixed. He fought through it with the left shoulder last year, and we fixed it when the season was over. So we're getting an earlier start."

Saffold's latest injury adds to a growing list of ailments since coming to the NFL in 2010. He's only twice played a full season, and the Oakland Raiders called off a free-agent contract with him in the 2014 offseason after he failed a physical because of left shoulder concerns.

After the Oakland deal fell apart, the Rams wound up re-signing Saffold to a five-year, incentive-laden deal worth up to $42.5 million. His $4.5 million base salary for 2016 becomes guaranteed on March 11. Additionally, the Rams still have $3 million of Saffold's original $5 million signing bonus scheduled to count against the cap in $1 million increments over the next three years.

Running back Trey Watts was signed to the practice squad in Cunningham's place.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I know I was going more for the look..Let's try this, the Head Physician at Rams Park
frank1.jpg
Burns blows!