Rodger Saffold placed on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
I know I was going more for the look..Let's try this, the Head Physician at Rams Park
frank1.jpg

Bingo!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Sadly this probably is not a huge loss. Saffold was not playing well at all this far. Far, far below his usual standard. I suspect his shoulder that he injured in pre-season was hampering his performance all season. To that end, we might well be better served with a healthy guard that can go at 100%. Indeed, Reynolds looks like the superior player in relief.

Saffold is a great guy. Team player. He also adds experience to a very young line. And he's obviously a very solid lineman when healthy, who can also play various positions... but that's the problem.... the dude is always injured. I would part ways at this point. As many have speculated, the Rams might well do just that soon.

If and when we let Saffold go, I cannot see any team dishing out any sort of significant money for him. He is beyond fragile and this is probably the last straw. TWO surgically repaired shoulders in 1 year on an injury prone lineman? That's asking for trouble. One team (Oakland) has already backed out of a deal with him due to health concerns. I wonder if we don't let him go only to bring him back on the cheap, planning the use him as depth with the idea being that younger linemen - we have drafted tons of them - simply pass him on the depth chart sooner rather than later.

fearsomefour

Legend
Anyone pay attention to Reynolds when he took over?

Did he look significantly better than Rodger?
He didn't look better, he missed a guy and let him run free to Foles, but, he is a solid vet who is athletic at G and can get down field.
I am fine with Reynolds in there and I like Saffold a lot.
The line just can't take too many more injuries (knocking on wood).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He didn't look better, he missed a guy and let him run free to Foles, but, he is a solid vet who is athletic at G and can get down field.
Are you talking about that play between himself and Barnes? I think that was just a miscommunication, albeit a big one. He actually played better than Saffold otherwise IMO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmmm, I think I gotta idea..........

that's why you draft 5 linemen.....

Persistence....I like that...Agreed..

On Saffold... @Stel I don't think you can say the line played better with Saffol out...Just because he went out...more likely, they just started to get their crap together....Gurley was due to bust one run...shoulda had others....But I expected his injury...just the way it happened in preseason....so...I'm all for getting Wichmann ready...Leave Reynolds in his more valuable role, backup...Have him ready to replace anyone, at any moment....It's his:
images
time...

hope he's ready...

I wouldn't mind seeing Rhaney since we seem so intent on running the zone blocking. I actually think Rhaney looked good in the preseason in that respect. My concern with him would be the same I have with our rookies (and GR). Picking up blitzes, stunts, twists, etc.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
You could have recycled this article and I wouldn't have even known, he's been injured so much. Honestly, this might be a good thing for us. Saffold hasn't been playing well and it might allow us to see what we have elsewhere. If we play Reynolds, he's only 28, so if he plays well, he can be a building block. If we play Wichmann or Rhaney or Donnal, we can see our young drafted talent in action with the first team. We might shuffle it around a little, move, say, Havenstein to RG and have a guy like Darrell Williams play RT. We have some options when it comes to how we want to replace Saffold and it might help give us an idea of what we truly have.

Just my opinion of course, but I don't think moving guys around to see what they've got in different places is a good idea in game six of a season...Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but i plug Reynolds into Saffold's spot and move on, at least for now...

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
As a fan i've always had no patience for players(including the good ones) who are consistently nicked up or can't take the pounding that is the NFL. I understand guys get hurt, but i'm talking about players who aren't old...names like Donnie Avery, Rodger Saffold, Danny Amendola, Percy Harvin etc...
Brandon Gibson was JAG but he was reliable. Joe Barksdale was JAG but he was reliable. This mentality of retaining and giving pay days to injury-prone, talented players is something i would not succumb to as an NFL GM or HC.

The NBA is even worse.

/rant

One of the reasons there is so much reverence among Rams fans for Jack Youngblood. I don't want to compare injuries, and I know nothing of the severity of the injury to Saffold's shoulder, but you have to wonder about the ripple effects of a guy who is frequently out with an injury vs. that of the guy who guts it out for the team.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just my opinion of course, but I don't think moving guys around to see what they've got in different places is a good idea in game six of a season...Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but i plug Reynolds into Saffold's spot and move on, at least for now...
Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea for this young team either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Right now the line is a mess. How did Atlanta put together a good OLine in one season by adding a few rarely used journeymen/castoffs?

Alan

Legend
but you have to wonder about the ripple effects of a guy who is frequently out with an injury vs. that of the guy who guts it out for the team.
One of those ripple effects is starting a player who isn't very good when he's injured. By all accounts, Saffold hasn't played well this year and I think it's pretty safe to say that the injury he suffered earlier this year has a lot to do with that.

Stel

Starter
One of those ripple effects is starting a player who isn't very good when he's injured. By all accounts, Saffold hasn't played well this year and I think it's pretty safe to say that the injury he suffered earlier this year has a lot to do with that.

I suspect you're right.

Welcome back.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Statistically (PFF stats...)
I would part ways at this point. As many have speculated, the Rams might well do just that soon
Saffold hasn't played well this year and I think it's pretty safe to say that the injury he suffered earlier this year has a lot to do with that.
Just a reminder PFF grades are not statistics. Need to always make that distinction. If I'm going to trust a grade, I'd rather take the consensus of this message board, people here are the more trustworthy experts in watching the Rams and knowing how Saffold has played. I agree with the thought that he's had a down year and it's likely due to the preseason injury. I don't think the Rams are close to parting ways with him at all -- Fisher has shown remarkable patience with veterans that get injured. Even if he does miss the rest of the year with shoulder surgery, I would expect him back in 2016.

Alan

Legend
I suspect you're right.

Welcome back.

thank you Stel, it's good to be back.(y)
Just a reminder PFF grades are not statistics. Need to always make that distinction. If I'm going to trust a grade, I'd rather take the consensus of this message board, people here are the more trustworthy experts in watching the Rams and knowing how Saffold has played. I agree with the thought that he's had a down year and it's likely due to the preseason injury. I don't think the Rams are close to parting ways with him at all -- Fisher has shown remarkable patience with veterans that get injured. Even if he does miss the rest of the year with shoulder surgery, I would expect him back in 2016.
I don't see us cutting him next year either. What I'm afraid of is that he'll fart around for months trying to make a decision about surgery and then he'll eventually get one and not be ready to be a full participant in TC and the preseason. How many times have we seen that happen? Boggles my mind.:rolleyes:

The bright spot in this is that he hasn't had any more trouble with his other shoulder since the surgery. Augers well for the outcome of a surgery on this shoulder.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

You guys are stuck on the last thing I suggested. That's the 5th option if we aren't productive with plugging anyone in at RG. Obviously I'd rather have a guy like Reynolds or maybe Wichmann just go right in at the moment, instead of moving the line around.

V3

Hall of Fame
I actually thought Reynolds played a LOT better than Saffold has been playing. I thought the run game picked up quite a bit when he came in.

fearsomefour

Legend
Are you talking about that play between himself and Barnes? I think that was just a miscommunication, albeit a big one. He actually played better than Saffold otherwise IMO
Yeah that play.
I am sure it is a communication issue....he is a vet and don't expect that to be a consistent thing. I wasn't paying much attention to Saffold before I did pay attention to Reynolds once he replaced him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seem most agree that it may be best to just plug in the vet. For now. The left side OL remains intact and its on their shoulders to gear up and produce and do a good job. Garrett is a vet of many yrs and different teams. Garrett IMO is more of a leader than Saffold.

Boudreau now can get Wichmann And Rhaney trained up to be the next 6th OLer. Problem is that Saffold was also the main back up to GRob at OLT. If it were me I would get Cody Wichmann ready to be our future ORG. Williams now has to be prepared for real to play if GRob is unable to Mann the OLT post.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't mind seeing Rhaney since we seem so intent on running the zone blocking. I actually think Rhaney looked good in the preseason in that respect. My concern with him would be the same I have with our rookies (and GR). Picking up blitzes, stunts, twists, etc.
Meh....you have your back-up center, starting at guard? Wichman, or Donnall...Leave Reynolds in his backup role...He can play every position....
And like some have said, I wonder how can Atlanta have a decent line? It must be the offense...quick passes, and quicker decisions by the QB...New England will have 3 rookies starting...3....rookies....must be the QB's & the offense...that are the main reasons behind a successful offense & successful offensive line.

I still don't think the line is playing as bad as some in here believe....Some passing plays have plenty of time.and 2.5 -3 seconds is plenty of time for most plays.....Look at Gurley's rushing yards, no problem there.......I still think it's a combination of wr's not getting "great" separation(in Foles eyes)...Foles not really knowing the playbook...and the overall consistency a QB develops from time with the players/OC.....

Saffold is a huge loss...but is not irreplaceable...