Robinson on 4th & goal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WvuIN02

Starter
funny how saffold wiffs too and everyone blames Grob. nothing about saffold his guy made the tackle too. still think this play was made to go left.

Its very clear to me that as you said, Gurley took a play designed to go left and went inside instead and thats on him. Everyone is down blocking to the right, if Gurley follows into that seam to the left he likely scores.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Wow, thanks for posting that. It looks to me like Harkey whiffed his block. Was that pay designed to run left?

Sure, Robinson fell down. Saffold missed as well.

And then was it Wichman who pulled and missed Robinson's man? It really looks like that play was designed to run left.

EDIT, guess I should have just read the whole thread first. So that was Brown pulling, and he wasn't worried about Robinson's man since the play was running left. And Gurley runs up the middle, bad Gurley.

But maybe the ugliest whiff goes to my man Harkey ... or to the coach for going with that same play again. Plenty of blame to go around.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The play was clearly drawn up for Gurley to go left. The FB shifts over to the left pre snap and the guard pulls and goes left. Gurley went directly into the defender. He never even glanced over to the left.

Yes the defender could have been blocked by the pulling guard, and probably should have. But that defender should have been grasping at air while Gurley cut left at the handoff and got into the end zone.

IMO the major mistakes here are Gurley not going left as the play was designed and the pulling guard skipping past the oncoming defender.

Any posters pinning this on Robinson have an agenda, and I know the guys on the Herd who pile on him all the time. This thread originated there but only with stills. It wasn't until X posted video that people could see what really happened.

Hat's off to @-X- for clearing things up. The post title on the Herd says "GRob whiffed" when that's simply not the case.

Last edited:

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I think it's safe to say pretty much the entire line gets a fail on this play.

Disagree on entire line. Barnes completely took his guy out of the play, which shows how deceiving certain camera angles can be. I remember a comment or two on the game day thread about him being blown off the ball, which the tv view seemed to suggest. Now with an endzone angle we can see the opposite is true. A bit of a lesson to us all that some things may not be as they appear on the tube.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Just a hunch here but....do you think its possible that Gurley decided to take the shortest route to the goal line regardless of the play called because he'd lost confidence in the line after being bottled up the first 5 games?

Possibly, you're right, but it's not working taking it all on his own shoulders - I really hope he lights up Twickenham this weekend, it's my birthday on Saturday, it's not much to ask for is it? (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
His problems....lunging, playing without balance even losing his feet sometimes would be more dangerous inside.

Excellent Points as usual here....I have never been for moving GRob back inside guy. GRob is what he is a OLT who commits an above average amount of holding & movement early violations along with more than average whiffs & just weak blocks. Its somewhat gratifying to see that there is some ongoing whiffs & weak blocks to GRob's right with the allegedly all pro OG Rodger Saffold. I have been alone now for a while here pointing out Saffold's general weak performances in the running game. Just how many real good runs do we see coming from the left side??

If you read my posts over the last few months, I am a believer that Saffold's best post as the 28 going on 29 yr old OL'er is @ OLT. Saffold will perform better @ OLT, so your OL will get some improvement @ that post. Saffold is a savy veteran OL'er who knows that the refs have a real good view of the OLT & does a real good job avoiding violation & cloaking his borderline stuff much better that GRob. The NFL refs have had their sights on GRob now for 2 yrs not saying it right but it is there...lets get the bright stage lights off him for a while:hiding:, with Saffold under the large microscope instead. Saffold is not close to being a dummy & is a real good OL technician!

As far as Grob his best place 9for the moment)is as back up OT not @ starting OG! I know having a ultra high second overall first round selection riding the bench is a bright green oozing open wound...:alien:. right between the eyes but at least he not hurting the team on the field any longer. Just looks nasty for the Org. I say let him sit for a bit & reflect on his sorry :poop: performances I need to remind myself GRob is still only 23 yrs old & yet could turn into a average OT in the NFL.

Not all is lost Boudreau needs a back up OT anyway. Inserting GRob in with the other OLT reserve future hopefuls of Isaiah Battle & Pace Murphy make just put a fire in the belly of GRob who needs some back down to earth reality. Something has to get GRob's attention here because he is going into his last yr on his rookie contract. No way Rams will pay big cap funds on that 5th yr extension for a trending fail mode OLT.

I did not desire any wholesale changes in this OL but if this continues after the London game Boudreau will need to do something. Best I can suggest here is during the bye is Boudreau will tweak this under preforming OL with the insertion of 2nd yr OG's Jamon Brown & Cody Wichmann as starters Tim Barnes. This is not a big change both have been starters at both OG posts since being drafted. Both have flipped & flopped now. Might as well get them set down & cemented where Boudreau wants them during the bye for the rest of the 2016 season & beyond. I believe that these 3 interior OL'er will get the Rams better overall play with this lineup.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
First off, thanks for posting this...

Not at all. It's GRob's fault, Saffold's fault, Gurley's fault, and Boras' fault.
Fault....man, there was so many....just piss poor blocks...but lets assume the play was SUPPOSED to follow Harkey...and his block...did he even hit someone? Looks like a bunch of guys that don't wanna hit....missing men straight in front of them...but perhaps this is a technique to lead/divert/herd defenders AWAY from the left, Gurley's intended path? IDK...but I still don't like the physicality of G-Rob here...Nor Saffold...Or Brown...

Great point...and it's either obvious Boudreaux can't coach these guys up, or he directed someone to draft the wrong players...that can not be coached by him....

It's true, but Saffold did essentially the same thing. Both of these guys have been good run blockers in the past, and both of them looked like dog shinola on this play. Is part of that the blocking scheme? Part of it just basic technique that Boudreau is supposed to be coaching into them? Part of it just the playcall?

One thing for sure, the run blocking is worse, and it's not just one guy either. We've seen what Saffold can do before, we've seen him playing at a very high level. And basically he and GRob whiffed in the same way on that play.
Is it worse, or are we able to see the problems easier now that we have a semblance of an offensive attack? B4 it was just problems all over...with some running....

I believe you are on to something...technique...did Greg & Saffold intentionally avoid putting their helmets on those defenders? Cause that's what it looked like to me...Brown too...pulling around...touching NOBODY...Harkey..leading a play..hitting Nobody...??? WTF who's teaching that?

Bottom line (pardon the pun), we have a serious coaching issue here. I don't know if it falls more on Boras or Boudreau, or equally on both, but somebody in the offensive staff isn't getting it done.
I hated the play call...Pulling a guard, at the one foot line...unless they are expecting a pass, is just stupid...everyone is diving in low...slanting towards the middle...drive block the man in front of you and let Gurley find a hole...Too much finesse...and it cost them the game...At least Boras learned a lesson...and it should be notable to see what he goes with down there later in the season..Hopefully we'll get a play down there this Sunday...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its very clear to me that as you said, Gurley took a play designed to go left and went inside instead and thats on him. Everyone is down blocking to the right, if Gurley follows into that seam to the left he likely scores.

The play was clearly drawn up for Gurley to go left. The FB shifts over to the left pre snap and the guard pulls and goes left. Gurley went directly into the defender. He never even glanced over to the left.

Compare this:
Gurley.png

With this:
ba730aacad134e8685822c80f98e400a.png

The first play is our first run of the game (went for 15 yards). It was a zone stretch play designed to be run off-tackle. The second play is the 4th down play.

On the first play, Keenum takes the snap inside the hashmark. He immediately sprints left and hands the ball off to Gurley about 2 yards outside the hashmark. Gurley takes off at the snap towards his left with his shoulders angled towards the sideline.

On the second play, Keenum pivots right and hands it off to Gurley after going straight back from under-center. Gurley takes off directly at the center at the snap.

What am I showing you here? I am showing you a play designed to go off-tackle to the left (first play) and a play that does not appear to be designed to go anywhere but up the middle (second play).

Here's the weird thing, the blocking scheme on the second play indicates that it's designed to go off-tackle to the left. The paths of the QB and HB indicate that it's designed to go straight up the middle. There are three possible explanations:
1. Either Gurley/Keenum or the OL got the play wrong.(unlikely)
2. The OL blocking scheme was designed to draw the defense to the left while Gurley pounds it up the middle.
3. The play was designed for Gurley to fake up the middle and then bounce it to the left.

Obviously, #2 and #3 are the most likely options. It's hard to say which one it is. What I can say is that Gurley is screwed either ways. Gurley isn't to blame for the failure of this play. If he tries to bounce it to the left, Robinson's man tackles him or Harkey's man tackles him. If he runs up the middle, he gets stopped. His best option was to get behind his pads, get moving downhill with as much force as possible, and try to power his way to the end-zone. If he tried to bounce it to the left, he'd lose momentum making his cut and would have Robinson's guy coming in from the side rather than directly ahead, which means he could not try to get behind his pads and run through him. It's a lose-lose for Gurley.

fearsomefour

Legend
Excellent Points as usual here....I have never been for moving GRob back inside guy. GRob is what he is a OLT who commits an above average amount of holding & movement early violations along with more than average whiffs & just weak blocks. Its somewhat gratifying to see that there is some ongoing whiffs & weak blocks to GRob's right with the allegedly all pro OG Rodger Saffold. I have been alone now for a while here pointing out Saffold's general weak performances in the running game. Just how many real good runs do we see coming from the left side??

If you read my posts over the last few months, I am a believer that Saffold's best post as the 28 going on 29 yr old OL'er is @ OLT. Saffold will perform better @ OLT, so your OL will get some improvement @ that post. Saffold is a savy veteran OL'er who knows that the refs have a real good view of the OLT & does a real good job avoiding violation & cloaking his borderline stuff much better that GRob. The NFL refs have had their sights on GRob now for 2 yrs not saying it right but it is there...lets get the bright stage lights off him for a while:hiding:, with Saffold under the large microscope instead. Saffold is not close to being a dummy & is a real good OL technician!

As far as Grob his best place 9for the moment)is as back up OT not @ starting OG! I know having a ultra high second overall first round selection riding the bench is a bright green oozing open wound...:alien:. right between the eyes but at least he not hurting the team on the field any longer. Just looks nasty for the Org. I say let him sit for a bit & reflect on his sorry :poop: performances I need to remind myself GRob is still only 23 yrs old & yet could turn into a average OT in the NFL.

Not all is lost Boudreau needs a back up OT anyway. Inserting GRob in with the other OLT reserve future hopefuls of Isaiah Battle & Pace Murphy make just put a fire in the belly of GRob who needs some back down to earth reality. Something has to get GRob's attention here because he is going into his last yr on his rookie contract. No way Rams will pay big cap funds on that 5th yr extension for a trending fail mode OLT.

I did not desire any wholesale changes in this OL but if this continues after the London game Boudreau will need to do something. Best I can suggest here is during the bye is Boudreau will tweak this under preforming OL with the insertion of 2nd yr OG's Jamon Brown & Cody Wichmann as starters Tim Barnes. This is not a big change both have been starters at both OG posts since being drafted. Both have flipped & flopped now. Might as well get them set down & cemented where Boudreau wants them during the bye for the rest of the 2016 season & beyond. I believe that these 3 interior OL'er will get the Rams better overall play with this lineup.
I cant see Grob being removed.
For the reasons you listed. We will see if Brown can pass block this week I supposed. The O line is still a mess really, better than before by a slight margin, but a mess still. I have been very disappointed in Saffolds play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thanks for posting, Champ. Seeing the play a few times, I think it's scenario #2 that I outlined above. The pulling OG and Harkey's motion are eye-candy. They're meant to be misdirection to get the LBs flowing in the wrong direction while the OL opens up a seam in the middle for Gurley to power through.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Looks like a total team let down on this play. I think it's unfair to highlight one player on this particular play. I firmly believe that 6/10 times we make that play and that it was a good decision, even if the paly call could have been better.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I hated the play call...Pulling a guard, at the one foot line...unless they are expecting a pass, is just stupid...everyone is diving in low...slanting towards the middle...drive block the man in front of you and let Gurley find a hole...Too much finesse...and it cost them the game...At least Boras learned a lesson...and it should be notable to see what he goes with down there later in the season..Hopefully we'll get a play down there this Sunday...

It was a terrible play call for sure. Combine that with the technique that was used (and apparently coached) and you have a recipe for failure almost every time.

The OL (Barnes excepted) definitely failed on this play, but so did the coaches.