Right now the Rams have a problem in PAYING the wrong players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Nice !!

I liked the Ogletree signing. The reason was because Wade has a big voice. Joe Barry also has a big voice & is the LBers coach. He fell in love with some of these LBers.
You can’t draft them all , but The Rams are going to find a couple diamonds in the turf(Dez Bryant at Oxnard, lmao) .
When it comes to 2018 , 2017 is squashed. They have to find a way to puzzle everything together. Salary cap is the draft & salary cap are the name of the game right now !!
Just because your dealt a had , doesn’t mean you can’t deguard & pick again to make your hand even better. —The contract was big , but after further review Barron might be the choice for now ?

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the who's on first skit is probably the best comedy skit of all time. so easy to get laughs without the need to use expletives. a lost art.

having said that i could listen to bill burr all day and laugh my arse off.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, we aren't paying him anything this year. The Rams gave him an $8million signing bonus last season, which counts 1/5 each season - so $1.6 million per each of the 5 years. However, when a player is traded, the entire signing bonus that hasn't already been accounted for against the cap counts for that league year. So $1.6 million counted in 2017. $1.6 million WAS supposed to count in 2018 (plus the $10 million salary and roster bonus for 2018). But with the speeding up of the cap hit, all of the remaining $6.4 million counts in 2018.

It doesn't matter when the money was paid - what matters is when it reduces the Rams' cap hit.

if you want to be picky the rams would be $8m better off if they didn't sign ogletree last season. the $1.8m cap hit last year, which wouldn't have been used if they didn't extend him, would have rolled over to this year. plus whatever extra money in the extension they paid him last season but i can't be bothered looking it up.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if you want to be picky the rams would be $8m better off if they didn't sign ogletree last season. the $1.8m cap hit last year, which wouldn't have been used if they didn't extend him, would have rolled over to this year. plus whatever extra money in the extension they paid him last season but i can't be bothered looking it up.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what his cap hit would have been vs the extension hit last year. I'm assuming that the total hit would have been approximately the same, and they pushed the cap hit raise into the next year. I couldn't find what the 5th year contract he was playing under was at - the online contract resource sites I saw had overwritten it.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
the re-up we did with Ogletree actually ends up giving us MORE cap relief moving forward because we traded him...

extending Tree wasn't as questionable a move as extending Tavon...but all that is behind us now... we've made solid moves from last year's draft up until now...and we are really on the verge of doing something now..

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the re-up we did with Ogletree actually ends up giving us MORE cap relief moving forward because we traded him...

extending Tree wasn't as questionable a move as extending Tavon...but all that is behind us now... we've made solid moves from last year's draft up until now...and we are really on the verge of doing something now..

i'm sorry, i'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

the rams would be at least $8m better off if they didn't sign ogletree last season.

none of us know the reason why they extended him but if it was a mistake they got out of it pretty well. if it was a planned move to get more draft picks in this draft then good job by them.

but ultimately it cost them at least $8m in cap space this year.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Not even going to get into Tavon here. But Tree in particular demonstrates that they locked up yet another guy who cannot produce in their scheme, and then had to orchestrate a trade to clean up the mess.

Meanwhile guys who DID excel in their scheme are yet to be signed to include Joyner needing to be tagged. And while I hear a lot of "relax man, the period just started" comments from other posters, there is a history with the secondary in particular where this organization has bled good talent, so it's not a reach to be concerned that it might continue.

I am not trying to light this front office on fire here. I have faith in them. But RIGHT NOW they have a pretty poor track record in terms of retaining their own. And this is something I genuinely hope turns around here real soon.
Merlin, I hear ya.

IMHO, even with a fantastic HC and an aggressive GM, if we don’t have a talented guy managing the cap, that’s a problem.

I’m wondering if the Rams need to make an upgrade over Tony Pastoors.

Check out the link about Pastoors, below. His photo makes him look about 19 years old.

Lowballing Janoris? Letting McLeod go? Tagging TruJo TWICE? The Tavon debacle? Paying Quinn after he peaked? Still can’t close with AD? Or Joyner or Watkins? No doubt Pastoors and Demoff have had some notable failures recently.

I’m stoked with McVay. And Snead. Demoff and Pastoors, not so much.

http://m.therams.com/news-and-event...Pastoors/79bd09ec-b25e-45c9-94c3-73138142dd1d

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m stoked with McVay. And Snead. Demoff and Pastoors, not so much.

Agreed and the good thing here is there's plenty of opportunity this offseason to right that tendency. Hope they start showing proficiency at lockin their own dudes up. (y)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the who's on first skit is probably the best comedy skit of all time. so easy to get laughs without the need to use expletives. a lost art.

having said that i could listen to bill burr all day and laugh my arse off.

i dont know if you guys have ever heard of the two ronnies (they did a classic skit alog the same lines ) ill post a vid up in here later ... its genius

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i dont know if you guys have ever heard of the two ronnies (they did a classic skit alog the same lines ) ill post a vid up in here later ... its genius

And the Credibility Gap's Rock Version (with Harry Shearer and David L Landers (Squiggy)) The last line makes the whole bit

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
i'm sorry, i'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

the rams would be at least $8m better off if they didn't sign ogletree last season.

none of us know the reason why they extended him but if it was a mistake they got out of it pretty well. if it was a planned move to get more draft picks in this draft then good job by them.

but ultimately it cost them at least $8m in cap space this year.

And they would have had to DO something else. This is not a vacuum we're dealing with. Virtually every move or non-move a franchise makes is accompanied by a result - consequence, reward, mistake, etc... You can say we would have been better off by not extending him. But that is as pure of hind sight as you can get. The fact is that when the Rams extended Tree, he was playing at all league levels in a new system and was looking like he wasn't missing a beat switching over. I can guarantee you that at least as many people would be bitching about it if we didn't extend him and he walked without any compensation coming back to us. There is zero guarantee that we would have received the phantom 4th round comp pick and we certainly wouldn't have received a 6th. In the mean time, we gave a contract to a young stud that looked like he was going to be a major piece of our defense and we did it with a fairly team friendly contract that as it turns out was not all that difficult to deal if it didn't work out.

The cap is a thing all teams have to deal with. Sure many teams have more room. But name one that has more room AND is in better position than the Rams. When I look at the list, I don't see ANY.

So while the Ogletree extension could be argued as being less than optimal, it is anything but a damning mistake, or indication that this organization made errors that others just don't make, OR that this deal will actually set us back one iota vs other teams.

I realize you're not running around shouting about the sky falling but this whole revisiting of the extension by some with an aim of casting doubt on the direction of this franchise just seems like serious nit picking just to nit pick.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
His cap hit in '17 was 5.7 - right? I mean, how much less do we really think we were going to spend on someone to replace him?

I'm going to guess we're about to find out. I really think that is our main big move in FA this season. We are probably going to see someone at ILB taken in FA and I wouldn't be the least surprised by a NT and OLB and then our draft is pretty much open to take BPA or really any player they like for any reason. There certainly seems to be a plan and they don't intend to wait on anything.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nah - I think I get what you're saying. It wasn't a crippling contract extension. Does that about sum it up? ;)