Rex Ryan to interview with the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
He's also got an interview with Dr. Scholl's, (Tough Actin! ) Tenactin, and Nair. C'mon now we all know his wife had hairy feet at some point too!

(That's gotta make it in the Best Quotes thread @Prime Time). :whistle:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
As good of a d coord rex is he is equally as bad as a head coach. Look at jets he took over a talented team which made him look good and look where hes leaving it

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Damn. I like Rex Ryan. I don't wanna have to hate him. Hope they go with McDaniels instead... I have no idea why McDaniels is even on anyone's radar since he sucks so much, but let's hope SF is that dumb.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
As good as he is with defenses he is the exact opposite for offenses. Can anyone name a good offensive player Rex developed over his years in NY?

Rex had no control over the draft picks in NY. The talent depletion is on the GM. His guys played hard for him and he had his team winning games when the talent was there. So far, I'd take his 6-year tenure with the Jets over Fisher's 3 years in STL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rex had no control over the draft picks in NY. The talent depletion is on the GM. His guys played hard for him and he had his team winning games when the talent was there. So far, I'd take his 6-year tenure with the Jets over Fisher's 3 years in STL.
That's kind of an arbitrary comparison. Why don't you just take Ryan's last 3 years with the Jets over Fisher's last 3 years in STL?

Oh, that's right. Because it's not as good.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
That's kind of an arbitrary comparison. Why don't you just take Ryan's last 3 years with the Jets over Fisher's last 3 years in STL?

Oh, that's right. Because it's not as good.

Why not take just the last three years? Because that's not looking at the full tenure for each coach. That would be dismissing half of Ryan's career with NY. It'd be nitpicking. Fisher's tenure is still a work in progress, so we'll see. The team needs to take some big steps real soon for him to catch Ryan though.

But that's irrelevant. My point isn't to make Fisher look bad. I'm quite happy with the Fish. I'm just pointing out that Ryan takes a lot of heat that I don't think he deserves. Between the tough NY environment, working with GM's incapable of supplementing the talent and playing in a tough division, I think he came out alright.

And yeah, I like the guy. I like the way he has his player's backs. I like the way he's outspoken. I like his sense of humor. I like how he treats the game how it should be treated... like a game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why not take just the last three years? Because that's not looking at the full tenure for each coach. That would be dismissing half of Ryan's career with NY. It'd be nitpicking. Fisher's tenure is still a work in progress, so we'll see. The team needs to take some big steps real soon for him to catch Ryan though.

But that's irrelevant. My point isn't to make Fisher look bad. I'm quite happy with the Fish. I'm just pointing out that Ryan takes a lot of heat that I don't think he deserves. Between the tough NY environment, working with GM's incapable of supplementing the talent and playing in a tough division, I think he came out alright.

And yeah, I like the guy. I like the way he has his player's backs. I like the way he's outspoken. I like his sense of humor. I like how he treats the game how it should be treated... like a game.
Let's compare again 3 years from now, then. (y) I do find it curious that he's been so unsuccessful without Schotty (28-20 with and 364 points per year on average, 18-30 without and 285 points per year on average), and yet Schotty's the one getting all the grief while Ryan's getting all the praise.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Let's compare again 3 years from now, then. (y) I do find it curious that he's been so unsuccessful without Schotty (28-20 with and 364 points per year on average, 18-30 without and 285 points per year on average), and yet Schotty's the one getting all the grief while Ryan's getting all the praise.

I think it was a mistake letting him go. He was forced out of town—a total witch hunt. One negative I can agree with regarding Ryan is that he definitely needs a good offensive mind on his staff before he'll succeed. He's a D coach through and through, and he needs help on the O side.

As for Schotty, I'm not sure where I stand. I've thrown a few jabs at his expense, but I'm not one who has been calling for his head either. It's that whole Playcalling vs. Execution thing. Some of his calls make my head hurt, but sometimes the players on O just flat out suck and can't do anything. What gives me hope is his tenure in New York. For two seasons, the Jets proved that a strong D team can go a long way with a Schotty offense.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
58242633_breaking-news-624x3513.jpg

Rex Ryan leaves 49ers interview and joins Rob Ryan across the street at McDonalds

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I like Rex Ryan actually think he could accomplish things with this defense. But if I was a niner I'd be chanting, and chanting loudly, 'We want Bowles, We want Bowles'

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

I find that hard to believe. To think he had no control over drafting while in New York over his 6 years. He had two different GMs and I'm sure he had control over at least one of them and I doubt he was overpowered in every decision. Not to mention that 5 of his 6 first round picks were on the defensive side of the ball. You know, the side he has a background in and emphasized. No way he gave into the GM that much.

MrMotes

Starter

It's not that curious when you realize Ryan coaches the defense and Schotty the offense.

I think the more apt comparison would be to Spags, both hired at the same time, both considered for both jobs. Ryan blew the doors off of Spags yet ultimately they both failed. And, of course, Spags is far more damaged merchandise than Ryan is, can't imagine Spags getting a HC interview, let alone job, any time soon...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
49ers are stupid if they don't promote Vic Fangio. He's perfect HC material.

It's not sexy enough
I think they want the young wonder boy offensive mind
I really hope they go with Adam Gase cause I honestly think the guy is seriously overrated and gets way too much credit for what Denver has accomplished - I may be wrong but I think he is gonna have serious trouble as a head coach

Ozoneranger

Rookie
I think Balke will hire a yes man. The young owner wants that, too. How else do you explain Harbaugh's ouster (which rather shocked me as I watched it unfold)?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not that curious when you realize Ryan coaches the defense and Schotty the offense.

I think the more apt comparison would be to Spags, both hired at the same time, both considered for both jobs. Ryan blew the doors off of Spags yet ultimately they both failed. And, of course, Spags is far more damaged merchandise than Ryan is, can't imagine Spags getting a HC interview, let alone job, any time soon...
Nah. I think my statement held up on its own without any additional comparisons. Their point totals dropped and they won fewer games after he left. That's sufficient enough for me.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

Pretty sure Spags is assistant HC in Baltimore, or something to that effect anyway.