Returning players on offense; could there be more there than we give credit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
And gives you that Rocky Mountain High?

More like a Sierra Mountain High. :cool:

tumblr_ndx7bruvd81qlseujo1_1280-225x300.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The potential is definitely there. A lot more pass pro and this team could take off. It would open back up the running game to our delight. How bad were the 1998 Rams vs the 1999 Rams? Remember? We could see such a transformation again. I think a CB and WR can be found with our 2nd and 3rd round picks that could make a difference. The Center position is the biggest question mark in my mind. Can a gem of a player be found in the 4th round or can somebody already on the roster hold down the position? If so, this team could really take off this season.
To partly answer your Question, I think most if not all of the good Centers in this years Draft will be around in the 4th Round this year! (y)And don't forget we will have a Post-Draft FA group of players to look at!!;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Yarber is a player's coach, who has done well in the NFL and at the collegiate level and many wrote about the UCLA Wide Receivers being very well coached, but Yarber was not a strong recruiter, which in college is obviously huge. Well, now Yarber does not have to worry about recruiting and this position coach does not have to worry about calling pass plays, so, IMHO, the Ram receiver core will be better off for it and keep in mind that the Rams have Zac Taylor as the assistant wide receiver coach, which will give the the receivers an understanding from a Quarterback perspective, which should also aid in the improvement of the unit.
PI-NFL-Rams-Brian-Quick-100214.vresize.1200.675.high.19.jpg

so, it's too late for him???? All these resources.....:notsure::sadwalk::huh::thinking:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm too chicken to throw this idea out in a new thread, I'll try it here.

How about trying GRob at center? He's got the athleticism to be a C. Gets him away from the spotlight and flag tossing officials.

Just a thought.

Not even a micro dinky thought;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tight End Coach Shane Waldron....Last season the Rams brought in John Lilly to coach the Tight Ends and it was Lilly's first gig at the NFL level. Waldron although young, has worked with the Patriots and was attached at the hip as well with McVay in Washington who coached that position before he was promoted to offensive coordinator. This was a crucial hire IMHO because McVay in his scheme at times employees three tight ends at once on the field. Rams presently have one veteran TE in Cory Harkey who is more of a full back and then Higbee, Hemingway and many have forgotten about Bryce Williams who was added late to the mix. Waldron should aid in the development of these guys and remember Head Coaches never forget the position they coached so McVay will have an eye on Shane to ensure his Tight Ends are improving each and every day.
I could really see the Rams going after a TE or two in this years Draft. This position is Deep this year and Good!! JMHO! I'm thinking Bucky Hodges - Virginia Tech - in the 4th!! Thoughts!?!

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of youth on our offense. I believe they weren't being coached up.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What do I mean?

The draft is a funny thing... we get excited about draft picks and imagine the ways they will help THIS year. Sometimes they do... but more often than not... players contribute more after they've gotten the rookie season out of the way.

Combine that, with the fact our 2016 offensive playbook was such a disconnected mess...

Could we possibly have more horses on offense than we think?

Specifically...

Gurley was a shell of himself in 2016. Think we'll see more out of him in 2017?

What about Goff? His rookie year is officially out of the way... which is HUGE for quarterbacks. Goff should look more like that #1 overall player in 2017. And... if we've got our franchise QB in Goff, the most difficult piece is in place.

Others? Tyler Higbee and Pharoh Cooper; both rookies in 2016. We should get a boost from their maturity. Same with Michael Thomas.

How about Tavon Austin? He's got some things to refine in his game, but I don't think anyone feels the 2016 playbook took advantage of Austin.

Bottom line; the whole offense from 2016 may have masked what's truly here - already. If so; the offensive roster may be stronger than we think.
What do I mean?

The draft is a funny thing... we get excited about draft picks and imagine the ways they will help THIS year. Sometimes they do... but more often than not... players contribute more after they've gotten the rookie season out of the way.

Combine that, with the fact our 2016 offensive playbook was such a disconnected mess...

Could we possibly have more horses on offense than we think?

Specifically...

Gurley was a shell of himself in 2016. Think we'll see more out of him in 2017?

What about Goff? His rookie year is officially out of the way... which is HUGE for quarterbacks. Goff should look more like that #1 overall player in 2017. And... if we've got our franchise QB in Goff, the most difficult piece is in place.

Others? Tyler Higbee and Pharoh Cooper; both rookies in 2016. We should get a boost from their maturity. Same with Michael Thomas.

How about Tavon Austin? He's got some things to refine in his game, but I don't think anyone feels the 2016 playbook took advantage of Austin.

Bottom line; the whole offense from 2016 may have masked what's truly here - already. If so; the offensive roster may be stronger than we think.

The pessimist in me says we need as much turnover as possible on offense. I mean, the offense was so bad could it be all on the coaching and system? The coaches didn't drop passes, miss blocks, etc. I know Fisher has never been known for offense, but his offenses have never been as bad as last season. The last time saw one like that was 2009. We went 1-15. How much of it was his system and how much was it that he just plain drafted the wrong players?

As far as players like Higbee and Cooper, the pessimist in me says there's a reason they were drafted on the 3rd day. They usually have holes in their game. Tavon is a gimmick guy. Not a true receiver. Woods is a true receiver but they need more than that. We still have unproven players on the line. TE is still a question mark.

Then again, the optimist in me remembers Gurley's "middle school offense" comment. Saffold said it was a system thing. Jamon Brown said the RB and line weren't on the same page. That falls back to coaching.

Jared Goff looked pretty bad at times, but its not like he doesn't have the tools. Pretty much everyone agreed he wouldn't get past the 49ers at the 6th pick if the Rams did not trade for him. Rumor has it the Browns traded their pick to Philly because they knew Goff was going to LA. So there was a consensus that he could be pretty good.

We still have an elite back in Gurley, despite last season. Tavon Austin has unique skills that good coaching and system could utilize. Imagine what he coulda done with a team like Atlanta last season?

We signed a top tier left tackle. Heck, we should be better at center no matter who we plug in. Addition by subtraction. Moving GRob inside could jump start his career. He's not a tackle.

All in all we should be better on offense. I suppose that may not be saying much because there's nowhere to go but up. But if the offense can improve to say, top 20 they'll win 8 games because of the defense. If they improve to middle of the pack they could have a winning season. But they have a long way to go if they're going to get there.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
PI-NFL-Rams-Brian-Quick-100214.vresize.1200.675.high.19.jpg

so, it's too late for him???? All these resources.....:notsure::sadwalk::huh::thinking:

The only teams that would be interested in Quick are teams that value a receiver who can block on run plays. I do not want to see him in a Rams uniform and wasting a roster spot. He's a project that did not pan out. Wasted a premium pick on him.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
This is exactly why I didnt want the Rams to go crazy spending on offensive players in free agency, and I'm glad they didnt. Todd Gurley was widely praised as being the next great RB his rookie year, and then had an average at best year to follow that up. Any offense that can cause such a talented player to look so average can clearly do the same to less talented players. maybe Im stupid/crazy but I still think Goff, Gurley, Tavon, Cooper, Thomas, Higbee, and some Olineman can still be long term starters for this team, and am really excited to see what they each can do with a real offense this season.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm too chicken to throw this idea out in a new thread, I'll try it here.

How about trying GRob at center? He's got the athleticism to be a C. Gets him away from the spotlight and flag tossing officials.

Just a thought.

Not sure GRob would be able to help with the line calls as a C, he seemed unsure of his responsibilities as LT, I wouldnt feel comfortable with GRob making the line calls.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I have stated before that STATS do not accurately predict the future but the WR's and TE's on the current roster as of today have me believing McVay will want to draft one of each position much sooner than later in the 2017 draft.

I believe McVay will push for a WR to be selected at # 37 assuming one of their prime targets is still on the board. Hypothetically: (JuJu Schuster, Chris Godwin, Cooper Kupp)

None of the above example WR's may be considered a True #1 but if McVay and his staff believe one of them is a stud #2 WR to play on the outside opposite of Robert Woods you go for it. Woods isn't a true #1 but neither was Garcon or Jackson in Washington and they both flourished in McVay's offense.

Having two stud #2 WR's and adding another solid TE ealry in the draft would be a great start for McVay to implement his offense.

The Rams first 2 picks in the 2017 Draft
2nd round #37
3rd round #69

WR just seems like a lock to me at #37 unless their top target/s are off the board. If they don't like the WR's left on the board at #37 maybe a TE they love falls to them but as of today I see WR or BPA on Defense selected at #37.

With the #69 pick I doubt a WR they covet is still on the board and this could be a TE or again BPA on defense with a tiny chance for a center if Kromer has soliciting strong convictions and this isn't addressed before the draft etc.. (not likely but possible)

Picks 3, 4 & 5
4th round #112
4th round #141
5th round #149

These three draft picks 112,141,149 could play a key role as trading chips to move up a higher with their #37 or #69 selections. As everyone knows, most of the better drafting teams use these type of picks to to move up and get a player they covet instead of letting the draft fall to them. Quality over Quantity is my slogan this year.

I would be surprised if the Rams don't draft a WR and a TE within their top 5 picks. When you look at the current roster with these two positions groups, there is too many unknowns to just assume McVay will make these units formidable with better coaching.
(talent level has a ceiling/cap no matter who the coaches are)

I'm just speculating and not using their 2016 stats as a end all talent barometer but I can't imagine McVay not using his first draft to get a couple of his own guys early in this draft to upgrade these units.

Rams WR 2016 Stats

Robert Woods
Rec 51 Yards 613 YPC 12.0 TD 1

Tavon Austin
Rec 58 Yards 509 YPC 8.8 TD 3

Pharoh Cooper
Rec 14 Yards 106 YPC 7.6 TD 0

Bradley Marquez
Rec 03 Yards 37 YPC 12.3 TD 0

Mike Thomas
Rec 03 Yards 37 YPC 12.3 TD 0

Paul McRoberts
Rec 01 Yards 6 YPC 6.0 TD 0

Nelson Spruce
Rec 00 Yards 00 YPC 0.0 YD 0

Marquez North

Brandon Shippen

Rams Tight Ends 2016 Stats

Tyler Higbee
Rec 11 Yards 85 YPC 7.7 TD 1

Cory Harkey
Rec 00 Yards 00 YPC 00 TD 0

Tamarrick Hemingway

Bryce Williams

Travis Wilson
120b75ebf9-Bigstock-Upgrading%20in%20Progress%20as%20a%20Fast%20Track%20Direct%20Express%20Path.jpg

Bruce2980

Starter
I think Tavon has a enormous year. Like 1200 yards receiving and 500 yards rushing with 12-15 total touchdowns. The dude has all the potential in the world. He's much quicker then any guys his size like Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, TY Hilton, Randall Cobb etc. The offense as a whole has a ton of potential.
Those are the numbers he needs justify his pay for this year, he'll need to add another 1,000 yards to make up for last years salary.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Those are the numbers he needs justify his pay for this year, he'll need to add another 1,000 yards to make up for last years salary.
He showed in 2015 that he could put up 1,000 yards total. With poor QB play. I think his yardage doubles from that year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If we can extract the ghost of Fisher from the heads of our young talent, they should do well under the gurus, ... McVay & Wade Phillips.

As for Michael Thomas, not sure if it was just nerves or whether he really has brick hands, but he might not make it out of camp if he continues to muff everything coming his way.

It would be such a huge gift for the Rams to have Quinn operating on all cylinders again this year, what a difference he can make if 100%. Here's hoping all of last seasons injured players are recovered and ready to rumble.