Returning players on offense; could there be more there than we give credit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What do I mean?

The draft is a funny thing... we get excited about draft picks and imagine the ways they will help THIS year. Sometimes they do... but more often than not... players contribute more after they've gotten the rookie season out of the way.

Combine that, with the fact our 2016 offensive playbook was such a disconnected mess...

Could we possibly have more horses on offense than we think?

Specifically...

Gurley was a shell of himself in 2016. Think we'll see more out of him in 2017?

What about Goff? His rookie year is officially out of the way... which is HUGE for quarterbacks. Goff should look more like that #1 overall player in 2017. And... if we've got our franchise QB in Goff, the most difficult piece is in place.

Others? Tyler Higbee and Pharoh Cooper; both rookies in 2016. We should get a boost from their maturity. Same with Michael Thomas.

How about Tavon Austin? He's got some things to refine in his game, but I don't think anyone feels the 2016 playbook took advantage of Austin.

Bottom line; the whole offense from 2016 may have masked what's truly here - already. If so; the offensive roster may be stronger than we think.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
What do I mean?

The draft is a funny thing... we get excited about draft picks and imagine the ways they will help THIS year. Sometimes they do... but more often than not... players contribute more after they've gotten the rookie season out of the way.

Combine that, with the fact our 2016 offensive playbook was such a disconnected mess...

Specifically...

What about Goff? His rookie year is officially out of the way... which is HUGE for quarterbacks. Goff should look more like that #1 overall player in 2017. And... if we've got our franchise QB in Goff, the most difficult piece is in place.

Others? Tyler Higbee and Pharoh Cooper; both rookies in 2016. We should get a boost from their maturity. Same with Michael Thomas.

How about Tavon Austin? He's got some things to refine in his game, but I don't think anyone feels the 2016 playbook took advantage of Austin.

Bottom line; the whole offense from 2016 may have masked what's truly here - already. If so; the offensive roster may be stronger than we think.

I think it all comes down to what they can do with the O line...LT no longer seems to be a problem, so it's already better...How much remains to be seen...(I guess Cap'n Obvious could have written this !!!)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The potential is definitely there. A lot more pass pro and this team could take off. It would open back up the running game to our delight. How bad were the 1998 Rams vs the 1999 Rams? Remember? We could see such a transformation again. I think a CB and WR can be found with our 2nd and 3rd round picks that could make a difference. The Center position is the biggest question mark in my mind. Can a gem of a player be found in the 4th round or can somebody already on the roster hold down the position? If so, this team could really take off this season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. I want to avoid one of my trademark unnecessarily long and rambling post. We went from arguably the worst offensive coaching staff in the NFL to one of the best. I think that'll show on the field. I believe there's untapped talent on this OL, at TE, and at WR. Plus, I think Goff and Gurley will show their true colors. I guess we'll see, but I'm very optimistic that we have more than we think we do.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes. I want to avoid one of my trademark unnecessarily long and rambling post.

Well, there is no doubt that there are better coaches on offense and in fact, the Head Coach comes from not only an extensive offensive background, but he's worked with one Head Coach highly regarded (Jon Gruden) and McVay will be the play caller so that is a huge upgrade over Rob Boras who had never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level and wanted to be a play caller in the worst way and he was.

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer...I'm not sure what happened to Paul Boudreau there were some rumors about his health, but his offensive line last season was an epic fail and that falls squarely on Boudreau and I wish him the best, however, Kromer is a huge upgrade. Everywhere Kromer has been, he's been very successful, now, would I want to sit down and have a beer with him? Not on a beach, but I believe Kromer will make a huge difference from day one.

Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur...I feel confident Sean McVay will be able to call the plays because of the hiring of Matt LaFleur as they are very close and will work in unison to give the Rams an edge they have not had since Mike Martz was roaming the sidelines in the Gateway City. LaFleur is also a Quarterback whisper so that should aid Goff, Mannion & Murray oh my!

Quarterback Coach Greg Olson....What I like here is Olson had an opportunity to be the Bills offensive coordinator, but chose the Rams as a position coach and his experience over the likes of Chris Weinke, is not even close. Jared Goff now will have a confidant on the sidelines that will be able to guide him through uncharted waters and should be a major upgrade for the California Golden Boy from last season.

Wide Receiver Coach Eric Yarber...Now keep in mind I had high expectations when the Rams hired Mike Groh last season, but Groh was working in unison with Boras as the passing game coordinator and again that was an epic fail and you have to hold Groh somewhat accountable...Yarber is a player's coach, who has done well in the NFL and at the collegiate level and many wrote about the UCLA Wide Receivers being very well coached, but Yarber was not a strong recruiter, which in college is obviously huge. Well, now Yarber does not have to worry about recruiting and this position coach does not have to worry about calling pass plays, so, IMHO, the Ram receiver core will be better off for it and keep in mind that the Rams have Zac Taylor as the assistant wide receiver coach, which will give the the receivers an understanding from a Quarterback perspective, which should also aid in the improvement of the unit.

Tight End Coach Shane Waldron....Last season the Rams brought in John Lilly to coach the Tight Ends and it was Lilly's first gig at the NFL level. Waldron although young, has worked with the Patriots and was attached at the hip as well with McVay in Washington who coached that position before he was promoted to offensive coordinator. This was a crucial hire IMHO because McVay in his scheme at times employees three tight ends at once on the field. Rams presently have one veteran TE in Cory Harkey who is more of a full back and then Higbee, Hemingway and many have forgotten about Bryce Williams who was added late to the mix. Waldron should aid in the development of these guys and remember Head Coaches never forget the position they coached so McVay will have an eye on Shane to ensure his Tight Ends are improving each and every day.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't believe you guys. Up and posting before 6am on a Sunday morning. :shocking::sleepz: And I thought I got up early.:homercrawl:

I believe a big part of the O's struggles the last few years was a lack of veteran leadership. Especially the OL. They constantly got "schooled" by savy D's. After the release of VET Garrett Reynolds the young OL regressed. Big coaching failure to not recognize this and apparently the new coaching staff did and brought in a savy vet in Whitworth and hopefully they can still get a serviceable vet C.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't believe you guys. Up and posting before 6am on a Sunday morning. :shocking::sleepz: And I thought I got up early.:homercrawl:

We're on the East Coast bubba (where the sun rises), so don't give us that much credit.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What do I mean?

Specifically...

I follow your line of thinking CGI! you may be on to something! I'm hoping to see a lot more from the players you mentioned and Players like Spruce. But until this New Staff can get the players into OTA's and really see and work with them, there is just no telling for sure! As usual I have the Highest of Hopes!(y)(y):D:shades::popcorn:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well, there is no doubt that there are better coaches on offense and in fact, the Head Coach comes from not only an extensive offensive background, but he's worked with one Head Coach highly regarded (Jon Gruden) and McVay will be the play caller so that is a huge upgrade over Rob Boras who had never been an offensive coordinator at the NFL level and wanted to be a play caller in the worst way and he was.

Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer...I'm not sure what happened to Paul Boudreau there were some rumors about his health, but his offensive line last season was an epic fail and that falls squarely on Boudreau and I wish him the best, however, Kromer is a huge upgrade. Everywhere Kromer has been, he's been very successful, now, would I want to sit down and have a beer with him? Not on a beach, but I believe Kromer will make a huge difference from day one.

Offensive Coordinator Matt LaFleur...I feel confident Sean McVay will be able to call the plays because of the hiring of Matt LaFleur as they are very close and will work in unison to give the Rams an edge they have not had since Mike Martz was roaming the sidelines in the Gateway City. LaFleur is also a Quarterback whisper so that should aid Goff, Mannion & Murray oh my!

Quarterback Coach Greg Olson....What I like here is Olson had an opportunity to be the Bills offensive coordinator, but chose the Rams as a position coach and his experience over the likes of Chris Weinke, is not even close. Jared Goff now will have a confidant on the sidelines that will be able to guide him through uncharted waters and should be a major upgrade for the California Golden Boy from last season.

Wide Receiver Coach Eric Yarber...Now keep in mind I had high expectations when the Rams hired Mike Groh last season, but Groh was working in unison with Boras as the passing game coordinator and again that was an epic fail and you have to hold Groh somewhat accountable...Yarber is a player's coach, who has done well in the NFL and at the collegiate level and many wrote about the UCLA Wide Receivers being very well coached, but Yarber was not a strong recruiter, which in college is obviously huge. Well, now Yarber does not have to worry about recruiting and this position coach does not have to worry about calling pass plays, so, IMHO, the Ram receiver core will be better off for it and keep in mind that the Rams have Zac Taylor as the assistant wide receiver coach, which will give the the receivers an understanding from a Quarterback perspective, which should also aid in the improvement of the unit.

Tight End Coach Shane Waldron....Last season the Rams brought in John Lilly to coach the Tight Ends and it was Lilly's first gig at the NFL level. Waldron although young, has worked with the Patriots and was attached at the hip as well with McVay in Washington who coached that position before he was promoted to offensive coordinator. This was a crucial hire IMHO because McVay in his scheme at times employees three tight ends at once on the field. Rams presently have one veteran TE in Cory Harkey who is more of a full back and then Higbee, Hemingway and many have forgotten about Bryce Williams who was added late to the mix. Waldron should aid in the development of these guys and remember Head Coaches never forget the position they coached so McVay will have an eye on Shane to ensure his Tight Ends are improving each and every day.
We also have an intriguing (at least in my mind) option to the TE squad. They signed Travis Wilson (QB from Utah) to come into training camp and compete. Now he has quite a bit to learn about the TE position, but his physical traits (6'7" - 235#'s) , his athleticism he showed when he ran the ball at Utah and his knowledge of what a QB needs him to do during routes and such (being able to look at it from the QB's POV) makes him intriguing to me. Just like some of the former BB players who are brought in to play TE.

I'm sure they also will bring in a TE from the draft, which is another deep position this year.

Limey

Rookie
I think we do. All of last year's rookies have a chance to flourish this year, including Hemingway, but I'm particularly keen to see what Kromer can do with our young Oliners. There was promise in year 1 from most of them, then horrible regression last year. This year, I'm hoping for some quality to emerge, including a C.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm sure they also will bring in a TE from the draft, which is another deep position this year.

I'm thinking this too, might even go Tight End earlier than most of us think, but one would surmise Travis Wilson might need another year, but you do illustrate some interesting points as to how he could be an asset to the position.

tempests

Hall of Fame
It's hard to say. I'm fairly certain there's more here than their 2016 showing; 31st in passing, 31st in rushing, 32nd overall. 2017 Rams will improve with even average production from Goff and Gurley.

Bringing in a new scheme and offensive staff can only help. We're still lacking playmakers and veteran backbone on the offensive side.

However, what this offense really needs is a boost in confidence and an revamp of their identity. It's fun to see GZ line up for those 58 yard FG attempts, but it really sends a terrible message to the offensive players; "We have to get these three points because who knows when we'll be here again".

As time passed, it became abundantly clear to me that Fisher lacked faith in his players. He was always conservative, but at least with Mike Heimendinger and Steve McNair in Tennessee, they tried attacking defenses more, it was less about going into a shell and protecting leads. They even ran a spread passing offense there for a while. By comparison, the 2013 Rams tried it for four games before Fisher junked it. Like dipping your toe into the pool and scurrying back to your beach towel because the water was too cold.

It was a similar thing with his staff. I always thought Schottenheimer opting out and taking another job irked Fisher. That's the real reason he promoted offensive coordinators from within, IMO. He was big on loyalty, or loyalty as he saw it, and if he gave these guys their first shot as an OC in the NFL, they wouldn't walk out on him.

Maybe he had good reason for that lack of faith, I don't know. I do know that it wasn't "defense and special teams first"for the Rams. It was "defense and special teams is our only hope, we can only ask our offense to grind out a few first downs and not turn it over".

One of the things I liked most about Martz as a Ram was his mentality. "We're going to do what we want and it doesn't matter what you do, you can't stop it." The players, fans, media ate it up. It was never an issue if whether they were going to score TDs on game day, the question was how many. People eventually came to see it as arrogance, but we all got caught up in it.

This offense needs to set the bar high for themselves. Talent, coaching, scheme are all integral, but winning is a mindset, and "We're up 10-0, time to start salting the clock" is not a winning mindset.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking this too, might even go Tight End earlier than most of us think, but one would surmise Travis Wilson might need another year, but you do illustrate some interesting points as to how he could be an asset to the position.
Might have to PS him for the season ... possibly less, but I think he has great attributes and and athleticism to try and develop him.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm too chicken to throw this idea out in a new thread, I'll try it here.

How about trying GRob at center? He's got the athleticism to be a C. Gets him away from the spotlight and flag tossing officials.

Just a thought.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Might have to PS him for the season ... possibly less, but I think he has great attributes and and athleticism to try and develop him.

Nice and I'm also intrigued by Bryce Williams, big kid 6'6 260lbs so along with Wilson should be a position to keep an eye on including who they add in the draft like Jake Butt or Jeremy Sprinkle for example.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think Tavon has a enormous year. Like 1200 yards receiving and 500 yards rushing with 12-15 total touchdowns. The dude has all the potential in the world. He's much quicker then any guys his size like Antonio Brown, Steve Smith, TY Hilton, Randall Cobb etc. The offense as a whole has a ton of potential.