Restacking the WR group with Watkins in the house

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I also wondered if trading for Watkins makes signing Donald a tiny bit easier this year due to having a lil more money to play with...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would make Watkins play this season on his last year. If he lives up to expectations tag/sign him.

TexasRam

Legend
I just have this feeling that, for the first time, we are going to see what Tavon Austin can do in an NFL offense. I've watched Shaun Hill, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Jared Goff look horrible in the Schottenheimer, Cignetti, Boras offenses. Hill is a decent QB. Foles looked really good last year when he played in KC. I saw stats from last night where Keenum was putting up nice numbers in Minnesota. Notice a trend?
Let's see what Goff, Gurley, Austin and the rest of the offense looks like with a real offense installed.
That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

If that Oline can hold up and Goff is the real deal then Watkins, Kupp and Austin in the field at the same time can be really awesome to watch. Say what you want about Austin but we have never seen him in an offensive system where he wasn't the main WR threat to focus on. He's a guy you have to carefully respect and stay close to defensively. The same can be said of Watkins and I predict the same with Kupp. So the one on one matchups should be plentiful.

Austins route running and hands are not Kupp or Watkins, but he's a TD waiting to happen and a dangerous 3rd option.

We all know Austin doesn't justify the contract as it stands today. But by the end of the year he may looked at as an essential peice to our offense.

I can't wait to see what Austin can do in this offense without being the only viable playmaking WR!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If that Oline can hold up and Goff is the real deal then Watkins, Kupp and Austin in the field at the same time can be really awesome to watch. Say what you want about Austin but we have never seen him in an offensive system where he wasn't the main WR threat to focus on. He's a guy you have to carefully respect and stay close to defensively. The same can be said of Watkins and I predict the same with Kupp. So the one on one matchups should be plentiful.

Austins route running and hands are not Kupp or Watkins, but he's a TD waiting to happen and a dangerous 3rd option.

We all know Austin doesn't justify the contract as it stands today. But by the end of the year he may looked at as an essential peice to our offense.

I can't wait to see what Austin can do in this offense without being the only viable playmaking WR!!
It would be wonderful to see Tavon be willing to tweak his deal to help out the situation by freeing up a little change.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Seriously. Thomas? He is not making the team over Pharoh Cooper.
That avatar Bike photo just looks like pure evil fun.:sneaky:

Not a big fan of either of these Ram 2016 draft WR selections. So I have no dog in this fight. Pharoh Cooper has the hands no speed & Thomas has no hands & the speed & quickness. Pharoh Cooper is super squeaky clean intelligent young bright slot receiver. Whereas Thomas is the opposite. .....buttMonkey coming....

Fact is Mike Thomas is the fastest WR of the entire WR cadre unit in the 20 yd dash. This would include new addition Sammy Watkins & Tavon Austin. Seeing what we have overall in this unit we have plenty of "Pharoh Cooper Like" talents running all over the field.

The vacancy of Pharoh Cooper talents & abilities can be easily absorbed by others. However Thomas & his big ugly warts & burrs has what is needed in this McVay offense. It would not surprise me now if the Rams were busy trying to trade off Cooper for a young 4th rd type caliber Boundary CB. If no trade can be made then Pharoh Cooper would be our 6th WR on the roster but replaced wk 5 by Thomas when his suspension is concluded.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That avatar Bike photo just looks like pure evil fun.:sneaky:

Not a big fan of either of these Ram 2016 draft WR selections. So I have no dog in this fight. Cooper has the hands no speed & Thomas has no hands & the speed & quickness. Cooper is super squeaky clean intelligent young bright slot receiver. Whereas Thomas is the opposite. .....buttMonkey coming....

Fact is Mike Thomas is the fastest WR of the entire WR cadre unit in the 20 yd dash. This would include new addition Sammy Watkins & Tavon Austin. Seeing what we have overall in this unit we have plenty of "Cooper Like" talents running all over the field.

The vacancy of Cooper talents & abilities can be easily absorbed by others. However Thomas & his big ugly warts & burrs has what is needed in this McVay offense. It would not surprise me now if the Rams were busy trying to trade off Cooper for a young 4th rd type caliber Boundary CB. If no trade can be made then Cooper would be our 6th WR on the roster but replaced wk 5 by Thomas when his suspension is concluded.

Disagree on Pharoh's talents somewhat. He has the ability to return kicks, punts, catch, etc. Honestly, Tavon's the only other proven one there is, and he can't return kickoffs. I hope Pharoh makes the team along with Thomas and Reynolds.

Rambo

UDFA
There should be a rule that when you're talking about Cooper Kupp you say his whole name or Kupp and when you're talking about Pharoh Cooper you say his whole name or Pharoh, you should never just use "Cooper".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Disagree on Pharoh's talents somewhat. He has the ability to return kicks, punts, catch, etc. Honestly, Tavon's the only other proven one there is, and he can't return kickoffs. I hope Pharoh makes the team along with Thomas and Reynolds.
Yep on this we will disagree but not often:).

Those ST & slot work can be easily handled by a UDFA rookie Shakeir Ryan. This little guy has blown away most all expectations in training camp thus far. Yes he is a midget super speedster that seems to be expanding each day of camp. If you want a KR who can bring the crowd to their feet then Ryan is the guy. If you want a KR to catch the ball & go down Pharoh Cooper is your guy. In addition from all the ROD member & tweets it appears that Ryan is getting work outside the slot too.

If I were Coach Bones & busy looking to replace Benny Cunningham my selection right now is Ryan.;)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I was wondering what was up with the Cap $$$$$$ ramifications with this trade.:yess:

AD.jpg

"We got a few more bucks to sweeten the pot, now Aaron. What do you say, pal? Do we have a deal?"

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yep on this we will disagree but not often:).

Those ST & slot work can be easily handled by a UDFA rookie Shakeir Ryan. This little guy has blown away most all expectations in training camp thus far. Yes he is a midget super speedster that seems to be expanding each day of camp. If you want a KR who can bring the crowd to their feet then Ryan is the guy. If you want a KR to catch the ball & go down Pharoh Cooper is your guy. In addition from all the ROD member & tweets it appears that Ryan is getting work outside the slot too.

If I were Coach Bones & busy looking to replace Benny Cunningham my selection right now is Ryan.;)

I'd put Ryan on the practice squad with a substantial payment, like Isaiah Battle. He's talented, yes, but we don't need him with Austin in the fold. After Austin is cut or traded, I can see him on the team, but not now. Maybe he makes it as a seventh wide receiver?

But I think that Pharoh is a lot more explosive than you give him credit for. Just saying. :)

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
There should be a rule that when you're talking about Cooper Kupp you say his whole name or Kupp and when you're talking about Pharoh Cooper you say his whole name or Pharoh, you should never just use "Cooper".

I commit to your Cooper Confusion Clause, @Rambo . I totally agree. You can count on me!(y)

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Pharoh cooper seems to be battling for the final spot on the WR roster if the rams go with 6. Tavon will return punts, will be interesting to see who will return kickoffs. That could decided the 6th WR spot. Could see Cooper being traded to a team looking for a punt returner. Getting the special teams coach on your side is a good way to make the 53.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that, but the point is that teams will be busy evaluating 90 players of their own at the deadline and the pool of free agents is increased this year from 700 to almost 1200. And with less than 1 week between final cuts practicing for the opener, I can see how it will be easier to slip guys thru.

Tano

Legend

I want to add Woods in the mix.

On the plays where Woods Watkins Austin Kupp and Gurley are in the game, who is the defense going to focus on.

I doubt teams have 4 CBs and a Linebacker/Safety who can cover all 5 of these players. And I would mix up where they line up. Sometimes have Austin in the backfield with Gurley either in the backfield as well or lining up as a receiver. Sometimes all 5 on the line like the GSOT.

I can't wait to see these plays. I wouldn't do these for a majority of the time but definitely 5 to 10 plays a game depending on the circumstances.

Ram65

Legend
This is my guess:
X - Sammy Watkins/Josh Reynolds
Z - Robert Woods/Tavon Austin
SL - Cooper Kupp/Pharoh Cooper
Suspension: Mike Thomas
Practice Squad: Nelson Spruce (if he makes it) and Shakeir Ryan

I don't know @jrry32... If he's healthy and productive all preseason, I don't see how Spruce doesn't make this team.

He's seems to be best friends with Goff, Gurley, Higbee and has some certified sticky mitts.

The dude is a locker room favorite and great for team moral.

I know this is the NFL and "Best Friends" means absolutely nothing in a performance based business.

I have a feeling in this unique case it might mean something.

If all of the WR's fighting for the last spot remain healthy and are virtually in a 3 way tie (too close to call)....... from their overall performance after the preseason ends, my belief is that a Tie goes to Spruce.

I repeat.... only if their production at the end of camp and the entire preseason is very close in overall performance.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't vision Nelson going anywhere unless he gets hurt or looks much worse than the 2 or 3 players contending with him for a roster spot.

636326310274717912-AP17157046385484.jpg

There it's settled....oh it's not even close to being settled. Two good points of view.

Aren't Thomas and Reynolds very similar? Reynolds bigger, faster and better hands?

McVay is talking up P Cooper yet Spruce has the Goff factor. P Cooper has short area quickness. It's really a toss up.

Like I said before still a long way till cut day. Trades and injury could play a part in it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More difficult with almost double the players being available. Don't know how that's arguable.
Id be surprised to see trades after game 4 since they only have 1 day to pull it off and it doesn't alleviate a roster spot in doing so.