Restacking the WR group with Watkins in the house

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I just have this feeling that, for the first time, we are going to see what Tavon Austin can do in an NFL offense. I've watched Shaun Hill, Nick Foles, Case Keenum, and Jared Goff look horrible in the Schottenheimer, Cignetti, Boras offenses. Hill is a decent QB. Foles looked really good last year when he played in KC. I saw stats from last night where Keenum was putting up nice numbers in Minnesota. Notice a trend?
Let's see what Goff, Gurley, Austin and the rest of the offense looks like with a real offense installed.
That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
How about the BIG 3 :yess:

DG-jB6VWsAYSc9M.jpg

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
The addition of Watkins might make McRoberts and Thomas expendable, unless they compete with Cooper Kupp and Spruce as slot guys. Wideout seems to be covered now. Watkins, Woods, Austin and Kupp can all line up outside.

Rams now have a nice problem at WR. Gonna take 4 pre seaon games to figure it out.
Seriously. Thomas? He is not making the team over Pharoh Cooper.

jjab360

Legend
lol

He also plays from the backfield and out wide lol. And produces from all 3 spots lol

But hey, focus on a contract and not what he offers on the field.

lol
Are you even serious right now? Tavon is one of the historically least productive WRs in NFL history. He has bad hands, limited route running abilities, and no catch radius. What exactly is he offering other than misappropriated cap space and a headache to the coordinators who have tried to force the ball his way as opposed to get it to an actual RB or an actual wideout?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just have this feeling that, for the first time, we are going to see what Tavon Austin can do in an NFL offense.

That would be nice. And if not, well, you know what's cool about having multiple options with the ball spread around is it's really hard to stop.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
This is my guess:
X - Sammy Watkins/Josh Reynolds
Z - Robert Woods/Tavon Austin
SL - Cooper Kupp/Pharoh Cooper
Suspension: Mike Thomas
Practice Squad: Nelson Spruce (if he makes it) and Shakeir Ryan

I don't know @jrry32... If he's healthy and productive all preseason, I don't see how Spruce doesn't make this team.

He's seems to be best friends with Goff, Gurley, Higbee and has some certified sticky mitts.

The dude is a locker room favorite and great for team moral.

I know this is the NFL and "Best Friends" means absolutely nothing in a performance based business.

I have a feeling in this unique case it might mean something.

If all of the WR's fighting for the last spot remain healthy and are virtually in a 3 way tie (too close to call)....... from their overall performance after the preseason ends, my belief is that a Tie goes to Spruce.

I repeat.... only if their production at the end of camp and the entire preseason is very close in overall performance.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't vision Nelson going anywhere unless he gets hurt or looks much worse than the 2 or 3 players contending with him for a roster spot.

636326310274717912-AP17157046385484.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly, that's why you get a guy like Watkins so you can be more creative with Austin.

1. No more safeties in the box they got to play 2 deep safeties whenever Austin and Watkins are on the field

2: middle of the field is going to be wide open

3: Gurley is going to go crazy this year

4: can you imagine Gurley and Austin in the backfield together on 3rd down and Watkins and woods on the outside

Add Everett & Higbee. Even Hemingway.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing to consider, with the league eliminating the preliminary cutdown to 75, the final cuts from 90 to 53 is going to be a league wide mass frenzy.
Almost 1200 players will get their walking papers.
That said, I think that due to the incredible volume of available players, it will allow some high quality cuts to be available for the practice squad. So in the event that a Spruce or Cooper were to get cut I think it would be likely they could be sneaked on to ps and would require a spot on another teams 53 to get poached.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing to consider, with the league eliminating the preliminary cutdown to 75, the final cuts from 90 to 53 is going to be a league wide mass frenzy.
That said, I think that due to the incredible volume of available players, it will allow some high quality cuts to be available for the practice squad. So in the event that a Spruce or Cooper were to get cut I think it would be likely they could be sneaked on to ps and would require a spot on another teams 53 to get poached.

I wouldn't put it past Wad, McVay, and Snead to be examining other teams possible cuts for gem additions....

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I saw more than option presented. The discussion was about multiple recievers.

On the flip side, you're being the only dick in this thread.

When I see "trading Tavon is clear and obvious option" I will respond accordingly with the fire and fury of Angry Ram.

If you don't like the way I post, nothin I can do about it.

Are you even serious right now?

Yes.

Tavon is one of the historically least productive WRs in NFL history. He has bad hands, limited route running abilities, and no catch radius. What exactly is he offering other than misappropriated cap space and a headache to the coordinators who have tried to force the ball his way as opposed to get it to an actual RB or an actual wideout?

Doesn't matter. No one on this team offers what he can do in THREE (compared to many who can do two at most) phases of the game.

TexasRam

Legend
I would also like to see Spruce make this team. But I think that last spot goes to whoever stands out in preseason.

Spruce doesn't have to make it based on BFF's. He has tape from last year that makes his case. But he needs to solidify it with this years showing.

Here is my 6:
Watkins
Kupp
Woods
Tavon
Reynolds
Spruce

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is hate to see spruce go to the pats and start producing at a high level. Just saying he's their prototypical type of WR

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
ST play will determine the 6th and 5th WR.

Maybe. Fisher certainly made cuts based on Special Teams - we need to wait and find out how much weight McV gives them in building a roster. Marquez didn't last long.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Maybe. Fisher certainly made cuts based on Special Teams - we need to wait and find out how much weight McV gives them in building a roster. Marquez didn't last long.
True. Maybe he likes watching fat lineman getting down the field.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's two interesting articles below on this recent trade.

OTC Over The Cap
Evaluating the Rams and Bills Trade $$$$

https://overthecap.com/evaluating-rams-bills-trade/

..........From a cost standpoint this is a solid move by the Rams. They will shed $1.797 million in salary for Gaines and only have to pay $690,000 for Watkins. The reason the cost for Watkins is so low is because the Bills paid Watkins about $2.4 million of his salary last week. So the Rams will pick up about $1.1 million in cap room which is useful for a team near the bottom of the NFL in cap space and with another player who wants a big contract in Aaron Donald.

The NFL is about taking gambles and at the very least they are getting a $5 million talent, which is the cost of a 3rd receiver, for just $690,000. That is a better cost/value proposition here than with Gaines, in my opinion. They are potentially getting a much higher level player (the going rate for a low level 1 is over $10 million) and I have him pegged as being a player, if he stays healthy, as an $8 million player. This is not the first time the Rams have made a move like this for a “bust”. A few years back they made a trade for Mark Barron of the Buccaneers. That actually worked out decently for the Rams as Barron developed into a decent strong safety/linebacker for the team........

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-sammy-watkins-ej-gaines-trade-analysis-2017/

The Rams just took a major gamble by trading for Sammy Watkins
...........The Rams are betting on two things: that Watkins will stay healthy and play like the guy he was at Clemson, and that they can afford to keep him around long-term. If one of those two things doesn’t happen, it was a bad move. If both come true, the Rams have a strong receiving corps for years to come. That’s the gamble L.A. just made.

I was wondering what was up with the Cap $$$$$$ ramifications with this trade.:yess:

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend

I totally forgot about this. It's gonna be like the end of the draft all over again. People rushing to sign UDFA like crazy.