Restacking the WR group with Watkins in the house

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
In the last look/discussion it was obvious that the X position was a problem. The Rams just didn't have that guy and the best hope was that Thomas would get it done when he returned from his suspension. Well, lo and behold this regime just aggressively went out and solved it.

So how does it look now? Enormously better:

Guaranteed roster spots
1. Watkins X. Legitimate skills for that role in this offense if he can stay healthy this season.
2. Woods. Y>Z. Not ideal at X (speed) but experienced and can do it if needed.
3. Kupp. Y>Z. Could probably play X but not ideal (speed).
4. Austin. Z>X. With his speed they need him outside, Z can be schemed for release from LOS.
5. Thomas. X>Z. May end up being their best option at X tbh.

Fighting for ONE roster spot
6. Reynolds. X. Probably gets one of the roster spots. Maybe a medical stash/DL?
7. Cooper. Y. 4th round pick a year ago, been very visible with first team in Austin's absence.
8. Spruce. Y. Fan favorite and UDFA who looks like he's facing a cut by week 5 at the latest.
9. McRoberts. Y. Been doing some good things here and there by some accounts.
10. Ryan. Y. Caught a real nice fade in practice the other day, I think Rams really like him.

Things just got real for the guys on the bottom of the roster. Competition there was already good, however now it's downright nasty.

What could happen from here?

* Trading Tavon is a clear and obvious option to everyone now. But since they already paid most of his cost for this season holding on to him won't be a problem as long as he shows the staff he is going to grasp and execute in this offense. So this is still up in the air IMO, since I do not think he has impressed them just yet. And with his history it wouldn't surprise me if he was struggling to learn the offense.

* Trades of Cooper and/or Spruce. Both will be showcased and have impact this preseason. One or both, if they play well, could be flipped for picks. McRoberts, if he keeps showing well and does so in preseason, enters this equation as well.

* At this point I suspect they redshirt Reynolds. He's a problem on the roster. I know they love his upside, however he's not going to offer them much in special teams or depth chart spot duty to warrant his roster spot. Other guys will definitely be ahead of him there. How are they going to play it? Drama ahead dudes, the good kind of drama too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So this is basically another "trade Tavon" thread.

You do realize that trading Tavon not only takes away his WR and RB skills, but also a huge weapon in the PR game? That's obviously yuge for field position, let alone potential TDs. Who on this roster is as good a return man as he is?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like I said in another thread, don't be surprised if Austin transitions to backup running back/wide receiver/ punt returner/weapon. That'll open up another slot. Here's how I'd do this:

WR

Sammy Watkins. (Our new number one receiver.)
Robert Woods. (Solid, reliable, our number two.)
Cooper Kupp. (Looks to be our new slot receiver.)
Josh Reynolds. (Stays because he was just drafted.)
Pharoh Cooper. (Backup punt returner, starting kick returner.)
Mike Thomas. (Our best gunner.)

RB

Todd Gurley. (One of our best offensive players.)
Tavon Austin. (Starting punt returner, also factors at wide receiver as well as backup running back.)
Sam Rogers. (Starting fullback, yet another receiving threat.)
Malcolm Brown. (Backup running back, third down?)

TE

Tyler Higbee. (Our starter at tight end, could see a large volume of passes thrown his way.)
Gerald Everett. (The Jordan Reed of our team.)
Temarrick Hemingway. (A sleeper at tight end, and one of my players to watch for.)

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said in another thread, don't be surprised if Austin transitions to backup running back/wide receiver/ punt returner/weapon. That'll open up another slot. Here's how I'd do this:

WR

Sammy Watkins. (Our new number one receiver.)
Robert Woods. (Solid, reliable, our number two.)
Cooper Kupp. (Looks to be our new slot receiver.)
Josh Reynolds. (Stays because he was just drafted.)
Pharoh Cooper. (Backup punt returner, starting kick returner.)
Mike Thomas. (Our best gunner.)

RB

Todd Gurley. (One of our best offensive players.)
Tavon Austin. (Starting punt returner, also factors at wide receiver as well as backup running back.)
Sam Rogers. (Starting fullback, yet another receiving threat.)
Malcolm Brown. (Backup running back, third down?)

TE

Tyler Higbee. (Our starter at tight end, could see a large volume of passes thrown his way.)
Gerald Everett. (The Jordan Reed of our team.)
Temarrick Hemingway. (A sleeper at tight end, and one of my players to watch for.)

Exactly, that's why you get a guy like Watkins so you can be more creative with Austin.

1. No more safeties in the box they got to play 2 deep safeties whenever Austin and Watkins are on the field

2: middle of the field is going to be wide open

3: Gurley is going to go crazy this year

4: can you imagine Gurley and Austin in the backfield together on 3rd down and Watkins and woods on the outside

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The addition of Watkins might make McRoberts and Thomas expendable, unless they compete with Cooper Kupp and Spruce as slot guys. Wideout seems to be covered now. Watkins, Woods, Austin and Kupp can all line up outside.

Rams now have a nice problem at WR. Gonna take 4 pre seaon games to figure it out.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL I'm losing track of all the threads discussing the same thing :)

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I think Thomas just lost his job to tell you the truth. Austin has one chance and if he struggles this year he is gone. he drops to many balls for my taste doesn't matter what offense he is in.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Same with Thomas JIMRAMS, Rams seem to be moving away from guys with suspect hands and route running, a move the definitely gives Goff more chance at success

jjab360

Legend
So this is basically another "trade Tavon" thread.

You do realize that trading Tavon not only takes away his WR and RB skills, but also a huge weapon in the PR game? That's obviously yuge for field position, let alone potential TDs. Who on this roster is as good a return man as he is?
A punt returner getting paid as the 3rd highest WR contract for 2017. Brilliant lol. I know we're pretty much locked in but we could find somebody to do what he does for a fraction of a fraction of the cost only emphasizing how colossal of a mistake that contract extension was.

And the crazy thing is he only averages 8.27 yards per punt return good for only 11th in the NFL lol.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
* At this point I suspect they redshirt Reynolds.
Cant see how they pull that off. If he's on IR he cant practice with the team and is out for the year. On the short term IR he has to be on the 53 man roster. If he's not injured and he's that bad, they really blew that pick

Relwolf91

Starter
Name
Sean
Playing madden is going to be fun again with our high powered offense! Wow it's refreshing to say that we finally have a WR #1 again since the gsot days!

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Austin, Reynolds, Spruce, and Thomas are our guys once Thomas returns...

I think Cooper gets waived when Thomas comes back...hopefully theres some PS eligibility there...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think Thomas just lost his job to tell you the truth. Austin has one chance and if he struggles this year he is gone. he drops to many balls for my taste doesn't matter what offense he is in.

Same with Thomas JIMRAMS, Rams seem to be moving away from guys with suspect hands and route running, a move the definitely gives Goff more chance at success

While I don't think that Thomas is going to make an impact on the offensive side of the ball, I really do think that he's going to make a similar showing on special teams as last year. In addition, Thomas' hands were suspect, but his route running was actually pretty good, especially for a rookie.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

That is an interesting possibility although with a guy like Watkins the question of who backs him up is critical.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cant see how they pull that off. If he's on IR he cant practice with the team and is out for the year. On the short term IR he has to be on the 53 man roster. If he's not injured and he's that bad, they really blew that pick

If that is the case maybe we need to revisit the assumption that he is safe.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
In the last look/discussion it was obvious that the X position was a problem. The Rams just didn't have that guy and the best hope was that Thomas would get it done when he returned from his suspension. Well, lo and behold this regime just aggressively went out and solved it.

So how does it look now? Enormously better:

Guaranteed roster spots
1. Watkins X. Legitimate skills for that role in this offense if he can stay healthy this season.
2. Woods. Y>Z. Not ideal at X (speed) but experienced and can do it if needed.
3. Kupp. Y>Z. Could probably play X but not ideal (speed).
4. Austin. Z>X. With his speed they need him outside, Z can be schemed for release from LOS.
5. Thomas. X>Z. May end up being their best option at X tbh.

Fighting for ONE roster spot
6. Reynolds. X. Probably gets one of the roster spots. Maybe a medical stash/DL?
7. Cooper. Y. 4th round pick a year ago, been very visible with first team in Austin's absence.
8. Spruce. Y. Fan favorite and UDFA who looks like he's facing a cut by week 5 at the latest.
9. McRoberts. Y. Been doing some good things here and there by some accounts.
10. Ryan. Y. Caught a real nice fade in practice the other day, I think Rams really like him.

Things just got real for the guys on the bottom of the roster. Competition there was already good, however now it's downright nasty.

What could happen from here?

* Trading Tavon is a clear and obvious option to everyone now. But since they already paid most of his cost for this season holding on to him won't be a problem as long as he shows the staff he is going to grasp and execute in this offense. So this is still up in the air IMO, since I do not think he has impressed them just yet. And with his history it wouldn't surprise me if he was struggling to learn the offense.

* Trades of Cooper and/or Spruce. Both will be showcased and have impact this preseason. One or both, if they play well, could be flipped for picks. McRoberts, if he keeps showing well and does so in preseason, enters this equation as well.

* At this point I suspect they redshirt Reynolds. He's a problem on the roster. I know they love his upside, however he's not going to offer them much in special teams or depth chart spot duty to warrant his roster spot. Other guys will definitely be ahead of him there. How are they going to play it? Drama ahead dudes, the good kind of drama too.

For Goff this is a season of no excuses. He literally has a cache of WRs to make him look good now. So this is an awesome thing. Good write up Merlin.

codeman

UDFA
Sammy Kupp Woods
Austin Reynolds

Austin doesn't have the pressure of being a number 1 and can be packaged in to maximize him. He's not gonna start but he's gonna play.
Thomas has 4 game suspension so if he makes roster its week 5.
The last spot is between Spruce, Shakeir, Pharoh, and McRoberts. Pharoh seems to have the edge up on the other 3 so far.