Report: Los Angeles Rams Star Aaron Donald could skip minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
So Donald is mad he was given the 2nd franchise tag? Because that's the only thing that keeps him from getting a 1 year deal.
Tru has nothing to do with it. Donald isn't looking for 17 mill. He's looking at the 125 mill other stars get.
Why not bring up Goffs contract? He's making more than Donald. So is Gurley.
Heck so is Connor Barrwin.

I never said donald was mad. I said as an agent I would see how the rams have negotiated in the past and what they are paying, or overpaying, other players and keep that in mind during my guy's negotiations. Goff, gurley and barwin are not being overpaid by any stretch so I don't see the relation.

goff was the first overall pick last year so his salary is appropriate. Gurley has played only 2 years including a rookie of the year season, and barwin is a proven stud worth what he's getting. Tru and tavons production over the last 5 years don't warrant their current and recently negotiated salaries.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never said donald was mad. I said as an agent I would see how the rams have negotiated in the past and what they are paying, or overpaying, other players and keep that in mind during my guy's negotiations. Goff, gurley and barwin are not being overpaid by any stretch so I don't see the relation.

goff was the first overall pick last year so his salary is appropriate. Gurley has played only 2 years including a rookie of the year season, and barwin is a proven stud worth what he's getting. Tru and tavons production over the last 5 years don't warrant their current and recently negotiated salaries.
If you were his agent, and these guys are making more than your guy, you wouldn't use that?
As for the franchise tag, as his agent, would you complain that they didn't Franchise Donald?
Jared Goff has already made more almost 3X the $$ in his first year then Donald has made in his entire contract so far. That isn't an issue?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Where did you get that the Rams franchise tagged AD? He's still under contract for 2 more years. they wouldn't need to do that until 2019.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did you get that the Rams franchise tagged AD? He's still under contract for 2 more years. they wouldn't need to do that until 2019.
They cant franchise him, that is the point in the discussion. They don't control the franchise salary numbers like the do with Donald/Austin etc

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
If you were his agent, and these guys are making more than your guy, you wouldn't use that?
As for the franchise tag, as his agent, would you complain that they didn't Franchise Donald?
Jared Goff has already made more almost 3X the $$ in his first year then Donald has made in his entire contract so far. That isn't an issue?

Donald is going to be the highest paid DT in the league so I probably wouldn't be upset that the rams didn't tag him, even if they could.

When factoring other contracts such as goffs, there are things like years in the league, position, and playing time that are needed for context.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
They cant franchise him, that is the point in the discussion. They don't control the franchise salary numbers like the do with Donald/Austin etc

I'm aware the franchise tag is non negotiable but they did choose to make him the highest paid corner, recently, and after a down year.

I like that Tru and tavon are rams but they are being overpaid. I'm hoping they live up to their contracts.

jap

Legend
If you're under contract to do a job, any job, then show up for work and do your job. Period. When you no longer have a contract to do a job, any job, then you don't have to show up for work. It really is that simple. Or at least it should be. Honor your word. The rewards will come...

Suppose you outperform your contract, even grossly outperform it? This is how the Horns lost ED, by being stingy with the best in the league at their position.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Suppose you outperform your contract, even grossly outperform it? This is how the Horns lost ED, by being stingy with the best in the league at their position.
I don't see how you can infer the Rams are being "Stingy" with Donald no one knows what's been offered!

jap

Legend
I don't see how you can infer the Rams are being "Stingy" with Donald no one knows what's been offered!

I did not infer anything. I raised a question about the idea that a player should just live up to their contract no matter what, based on the way the Horns dealt with a former star who began by setting a rookie rushing record of 1808 yards, and for an encore set the NFL single season rushing standard of 2105 yards. The Horns wanted him to remain true to his rookie contract even though he had grossly outperformed it and, as a result, lost that star to the Colts.

Are these scenarios not similar? Hasn't Aaron outperformed his rookie contract? This is so very reminiscent of the past scenario with ED. To simply state that one should simply stay with their rookie contract when one has quickly emerged as the league's best is ridiculous and insulting. If a player grossly underperforms, are they not quickly shown the door when management is convinced they have no real upside? So if a player grossly over-performs, shouldn't management make a corresponding adjustment in that player's earnings?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald is going to be the highest paid DT in the league so I probably wouldn't be upset that the rams didn't tag him, even if they could.

When factoring other contracts such as goffs, there are things like years in the league, position, and playing time that are needed for context.
So as an agent, you are using Tru 17 mill contract he earned but not using Goff being paid 18 mill so far?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm aware the franchise tag is non negotiable but they did choose to make him the highest paid corner, recently, and after a down year.

I like that Tru and tavon are rams but they are being overpaid. I'm hoping they live up to their contracts.
They didn't choose to make him the highest paid corner, they chose to use the franchise tag. I don't understand how this doesn't resonate. They have been negotiating a long term deal with Tru, those terms they DO control
And those terms would certainly be fair comparison to Donald.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are these scenarios not similar?
Donald is under contract for 2 more seasons and eligible for the Franchise tag for a 3rd year.
The Rams coming to the table now is an incredible show of good faith.
In Dickerson's case, the teams held all the control back then, free agency wasn't what it is now. And IIRC, didn't Dickerson get an increase and wanted another?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I did not infer anything. I raised a question about the idea that a player should just live up to their contract no matter what, based on the way the Horns dealt with a former star who began by setting a rookie rushing record of 1808 yards, and for an encore set the NFL single season rushing standard of 2105 yards. The Horns wanted him to remain true to his rookie contract even though he had grossly outperformed it and, as a result, lost that star to the Colts.

Are these scenarios not similar? Hasn't Aaron outperformed his rookie contract? This is so very reminiscent of the past scenario with ED. To simply state that one should simply stay with their rookie contract when one has quickly emerged as the league's best is ridiculous and insulting. If a player grossly underperforms, are they not quickly shown the door when management is convinced they have no real upside? So if a player grossly over-performs, shouldn't management make a corresponding adjustment in that player's earnings?
I'm not saying you don't have a valid point when it comes to ED, BUT I am saying ( And you used the word "Stingy") we have no idea what has or has not been offered, we don't know were the "Sticky points" are, It could be, and probably is, the amount of guaranteed money. everything else could be fine. no one knows!

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
They didn't choose to make him the highest paid corner, they chose to use the franchise tag. I don't understand how this doesn't resonate. They have been negotiating a long term deal with Tru, those terms they DO control
And those terms would certainly be fair comparison to Donald.

In choosing to tag tru for the 2nd time have they not made him the highest paid corner for 2017? Do you think he is worth it? Josh Norman is 2nd at 15 mil.

If I used goffs 2017 salary as part of my negotiations they'd laugh me out of the room. Of course last year's 1st overall pick who is our franchise qb will have a higher rookie contract.

Tru is neither of those, has had 5 years to show his worth and was on the trading block. Totally different.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In choosing to tag tru for the 2nd time have they not made him the highest paid corner for 2017? Do you think he is worth it? Josh Norman is 2nd at 15 mil.

If I used goffs 2017 salary as part of my negotiations they'd laugh me out of the room. Of course last year's 1st overall pick who is our franchise qb will have a higher rookie contract.

Tru is neither of those, has had 5 years to show his worth and was on the trading block. Totally different.
I don't know if you are just refusing to look at what I'm saying or what.
The franchised Tru for 2nd time not to pay him 16.7 mill and be the highest paid corner. They chose to lock him up so he didn't leave in free agency. They have discussed contract terms with him, do you know what they are?
Comparing a franchise tag to a contract negotiation is just silly, they are entirely separate deals. Tru played out hi contract, Donald has not. I don't see how you cant see the difference.
Donald is apparently looking for a long term deal that pays him what he deserves. And I hope he gets it.
Tru deal is irrelevant, its not his long term value, is less money for life of contract and most importantly doesn't impact what the Rams can pay Donald.
The FO has made mistakes IMO (TA contract for sure), I just find it frustrating to force something in to a bucket where it doesn't belong.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I don't know if you are just refusing to look at what I'm saying or what.
The franchised Tru for 2nd time not to pay him 16.7 mill and be the highest paid corner. They chose to lock him up so he didn't leave in free agency. They have discussed contract terms with him, do you know what they are?
Comparing a franchise tag to a contract negotiation is just silly, they are entirely separate deals. Tru played out hi contract, Donald has not. I don't see how you cant see the difference.
Donald is apparently looking for a long term deal that pays him what he deserves. And I hope he gets it.
Tru deal is irrelevant, its not his long term value, is less money for life of contract and most importantly doesn't impact what the Rams can pay Donald.
The FO has made mistakes IMO (TA contract for sure), I just find it frustrating to force something in to a bucket where it doesn't belong.

So you don't think tru will be under contract for 16.5 mil this year?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I see what you're saying, I'm just looking at it differently. I don't see them getting a long term deal with tru this year and that is why I say he will be the highest paid corner in 2017. It appears that you think they will get a deal done and his 2017 salary will drop from 16.5.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I see what you're saying, I'm just looking at it differently. I don't see them getting a long term deal with tru this year and that is why I say he will be the highest paid corner in 2017. It appears that you think they will get a deal done and his 2017 salary will drop from 16.5.
I don't think they will or wont, either way its irrelevant.
Here's why, if its a bone of contention at 16.7 (which btw disgusts me, I hate it as much as you do), then what happens if the Rams miraculously sign him long term at less? Does Donald not deserve more or less as a result of that?
*If* Tru had been signed long term for 12-13, would he be thrown in with TA?? I don't think so.
TA contract, I still shake my head. The Tru franchise deal makes me shake my head. But they are separate and not really correlated in any way

I think we've beaten this enough....

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I don't think they will or wont, either way its irrelevant.
Here's why, if its a bone of contention at 16.7 (which btw disgusts me, I hate it as much as you do), then what happens if the Rams miraculously sign him long term at less? Does Donald not deserve more or less as a result of that?
*If* Tru had been signed long term for 12-13, would he be thrown in with TA?? I don't think so.
TA contract, I still shake my head. The Tru franchise deal makes me shake my head. But they are separate and not really correlated in any way

I think we've beaten this enough....

Well, in conclusion, that's what I'm saying; that those 2 recent head scratchers would make me question the rams negotiating abilities and I would probably start with a higher contract number than I would if I was negotiating with teams like green bay or the NE.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would probably start with a higher contract number than I would if I was negotiating with teams like green bay or the NE.
I suppose, although New England doesn't keep anyone around who wants top dollar.
I do believe the Rams deserve credit for starting this early, they don't need to sign him long term right now, as he's under player control for 2 more years. But yeah if they offer him a sub standard deal its a disaster. Should be pretty easy to open negotiations you would think, look at Suh/Watt and try to stay in the same ball park