Report: Los Angeles Rams Star Aaron Donald could skip minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know so I guess I shouldn't say stingy, but I doubt they're overpaying him like the other 2. Maybe that set a bad example and Donalds agent is expecting another bloated offer.
They are over paying TA, no doubt. Who else are they over paying?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy produces, pay him....especially in light of what Tavon and Trumaine have already received. Quinn too. Brockers too...
I agree with paying him, no doubt. But I don't understand how his situation is comparable to the others? He has 2 years left on his deal where the others got paid when their contracts ran course and it was re-up time.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
giphy.gif

4f0231190128f.image.jpg

146.gif

giphy.gif

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
While I'm all for any player getting everything they can get we don't know the details of the negotiations. It's really premature for anybody to criticize either side in this since we have exactly zero info on the negotiation details. One thing I don't like is a star on the team and supposed leader hasn't been around for any team activity at all under a new coaching staff. Not exactly leading by doing this IMO. Wade could make the guy an even bigger star and he's sitting at home. Disappointing on all sides really.
He was around for the offseason work outs before the OTAs started. So he has been around.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know so I guess I shouldn't say stingy, but I doubt they're overpaying him like the other 2. Maybe that set a bad example and Donalds agent is expecting another bloated offer.
No one knows what the Offer is and won't until it's done, But my bet is that it's not the total $$$$ that is in question, it's the Guaranteed Money, which is what the Players are usually most concerned about, that is the Sticky point!!(y);)

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Although I'm disappointed in AD for not showing up, I understand his angle. If he's confident in his health and conditioning however, then he should be in for minicamps and let the businessmen handle the business.

Following him on social media and watching his "live" video streams, he seems to be in the building and around the training grounds so I fully expect him to be out there just like OBJ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing's changed for me on this topic. This is a new staff with a mantra of "We Not Me." He needs to be there.

If not, and if the team cannot find common ground with him, then make a blockbuster trade and bring in some futures picks for this regime to build with. It's not the end of the world for the Rams if they end up having to move him because they don't want to handcuff themselves to AD at a ridiculous cap number.

Oh and once again I'm all for the team signing him. I want him to retire in horns. Just don't mortgage the future to lock him up. He is a future Hall of Fame player. But he is NOT more important than the team. And it's not like they won't be able to win without him long-term, as that is more about quality of drafting under what looks to be a very fine staff.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
But he is NOT more important than the team.
Franchise QB -You’re not winning without at least a good one. How do we define a franchise quarterback? If it is a quarterback who is seen as the face of the franchise, there are probably no less than 15 ...

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
That isn't a contract though. Rams didn't offer him that money that price is non negotiable.
Tru played out his contract. Totally different

Is he making about 17 mil this year? Forget that it is the most any dB will make, is he worth it? I know it's only one year but it should have never gotten to this point. The several million he's being overpaid should be available for Donalds negotiations.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Guess we can lock this thread up since he is at camp.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is he making about 17 mil this year? Forget that it is the most any dB will make, is he worth it? I know it's only one year but it should have never gotten to this point. The several million he's being overpaid should be available for Donalds negotiations.
Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Tru played out his entire contract. He is gettin the franchise value. The Rams have no negotiation in that amount. If Donald plays out his contract, and is or isn't franchised, then it's a comparison.
I get the TA comparison, Rams set the terms and the deal.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Demoff sure is freaking up some big contracts. Overpaying tavon and tru, and then getting stingy with the best player on the team and the best defensive player in the league? Should have some of that tavon and tru money for donald, and quite frankly, if I had to choose between keeping both tavon and tru or donald, I wouldn't blink before making my decision.

someone said what i wanted to say ...without knowing the ins and outs we cant really comment on whats happening

i mean AD could be asking for 200m 3 year contract with 150mil guaranteed and i could call him greedy

until we have any ideas lets hope he turns up where he needs to be while he is still under contarcts and the man gets the money he deserves

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Comparing the two is apples to oranges. Tru played out his entire contract. He is gettin the franchise value. The Rams have no negotiation in that amount. If Donald plays out his contract, and is or isn't franchised, then it's a comparison.
I get the TA comparison, Rams set the terms and the deal.

I'm not trying to compare contracts or how they played out. The only fact I'm talking about is that Tru is getting too many apples, or oranges, this year, and it's not even close. Even the rams think he's overpaid this year. If they didn't, they would have offered multiple years at 17 a year and tru would have happily accepted.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
someone said what i wanted to say ...without knowing the ins and outs we cant really comment on whats happening

i mean AD could be asking for 200m 3 year contract with 150mil guaranteed and i could call him greedy

until we have any ideas lets hope he turns up where he needs to be while he is still under contarcts and the man gets the money he deserves

Of course if donald is being unreasonable it's on him but part of that could very well come from his agent seeing what the rams have agreed to pay tavon and tru this year. Those 2 situations are telling agents that the rams pay top dollar for potential and since donald has proven to be the best DT, and arguably the best defensive player in the league, then how can the rams not pay him the most money at the position?

As was mentioned earlier, I agree, and hope, that the delay is due to guaranteed money.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not trying to compare contracts or how they played out. The only fact I'm talking about is that Tru is getting too many apples, or oranges, this year, and it's not even close. Even the rams think he's overpaid this year. If they didn't, they would have offered multiple years at 17 a year and tru would have happily accepted.
Right. They don't have a choice in how much they will pay Tru. They do have a choice in how much the pay Donald.
They have the cap space to sign Donald. Tru's contract is irrelevant.
I hate the Tru franchise deal. But it has nothing to do with Donald nor is it comparable.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Right. They don't have a choice in how much they will pay Tru. They do have a choice in how much the pay Donald.
They have the cap space to sign Donald. Tru's contract is irrelevant.
I hate the Tru franchise deal. But it has nothing to do with Donald nor is it comparable.

yes, they have no choice with tru, but the rams put themselves in that situation and if I'm an agent it's relevant because I see them overpaying for potential in tru and tavon while my guy has exceeded all expectations. I would definitely start with a higher contract number than I would with the Packers or NE. Would I get it? Maybe not but it would probably make negotiations more difficult

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
yes, they have no choice with tru, but the rams put themselves in that situation and if I'm an agent it's relevant because I see them overpaying for potential in tru and tavon while my guy has exceeded all expectations. I would definitely start with a higher contract number than I would with the Packers or NE. Would I get it? Maybe not but it would probably make negotiations more difficult
So Donald is mad he was given the 2nd franchise tag? Because that's the only thing that keeps him from getting a 1 year deal.
Tru has nothing to do with it. Donald isn't looking for 17 mill. He's looking at the 125 mill other stars get.
Why not bring up Goffs contract? He's making more than Donald. So is Gurley.
Heck so is Connor Barrwin.