Realistic suggestions for getting back on track?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
On defense;

Fire our DC, bring back Williams. Play press man coverage.

Move Finn to FS. Move Quinn around so the offense doesn't always know where he's coming from. Drop Long back into zone coverage from time to time so as to support blitzes from unconventional angles. Get Laurinaitis to play downhill, somehow.

On Offense;

Take play calling responsibility away from Shotty. If he has a problem with the demotion, fire him too.

Hire/promote a play caller than understands Spread concepts (like, one of Payton's offensive assistants or someone from the Asshole Face coaching tree).

Trade our 1 round pick (and Pead) for Mark Ingram.

Run a Shotgun/Pistol based offense. Use Tavon like Philly uses Jackson - as a WR.

Sign a blocking TE and move Kendricks for a draft pick.

Use Cook on WR/TE screens.

FORGET ABOUT 2014. There is NO 2014 for Bradford if this team continues on its present course.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
OnceARam said:
On defense;

Fire our DC, bring back Williams. Play press man coverage.

Move Finn to FS. Move Quinn around so the offense doesn't always know where he's coming from. Drop Long back into zone coverage from time to time so as to support blitzes from unconventional angles. Get Laurinaitis to play downhill, somehow.

On Offense;

Take play calling responsibility away from Shotty. If he has a problem with the demotion, fire him too.

Hire/promote a play caller than understands Spread concepts (like, one of Payton's offensive assistants or someone from the Asshole Face coaching tree).

Trade our 1 round pick (and Pead) for Mark Ingram.

Run a Shotgun/Pistol based offense. Use Tavon like Philly uses Jackson - as a WR.

Sign a blocking TE and move Kendricks for a draft pick.

Use Cook on WR/TE screens.

FORGET ABOUT 2014. There is NO 2014 for Bradford if this team continues on its present course.
1st Rd pick no way

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's about WINNING boys, not draftpicks. I don't care if takes a 1st or a 2nd (and Pead) to get Ingram, but what good does our first round pick do us in 2013???

We are in DIRE need of a RB that a defense will respect.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
OnceARam said:
It's about WINNING boys, not draftpicks. I don't care if takes a 1st or a 2nd (and Pead) to get Ingram, but what good does our first round pick do us in 2013???

You don't give away such a premium in the situation we are in.

I want to win now, but not at the expense of good long term judgment.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
OnceARam said:

Long Term Judgement! You mean like the past decade of LOSING!!!!

At what point is enough, enough!!?! At what point to we shoot our wad and use our resources to actually put a good team together??

Ingram is a 3rd year players with little tread on his tires. He IS a long term solution.

fancents86

Starter
Well first the Rams need to do what they said they would during training camp, play no huddle offense right from the start, rb rotation, and play spread offense.

1. I want to see Barret Jones in the starting line up. The guy played just about every single o line position in college and considering our O line is weak atm, whats the worse that could happen?

2. Stedman Bailey, where is he? He had better numbers than Austin in college so I don't understand why there is so much faith in Austin? Also Quick has proven he is struggling, so why is he seeing more game time than Bailey? Put Bailey in.

3. Spread the offense out! Bradford is committing so many int and batted balls bc all his recievers are 5-7 yds in front of him running around in traffic. They are not getting enough time to get into space and lose the defenders.

4. Get a new DC or secondary coach. Passing up on Rob Ryan was a huge mistake, even though I see why Fisher did at the time, they play 2 different styles of D. But things are not working as Fisher imagined so now something has to change.

5. Get a back up qb. If you think Bradford is bad, just wait til he gets hurt and we have KC starting. With how are O line is playing atm, Bradford getting injured could happen sooner than later.

6. Tell shotty if he doesnt upgrade his play calling, his job is far from secure. I'd hate to have Bradford learn a new system, but something has to give.

Most of our fixes are up to the coaches to fix. We have a TON of talent on this team, it just needs to be utilized the their strengths and stop the crappy play calling.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
OnceARam said:
CGI_Ram said:
OnceARam said:

Long Term Judgement! You mean like the past decade of LOSING!!!!

At what point is enough, enough!!?! At what point to we shoot our wad and use our resources to actually put a good team together??

Ingram is a 3rd year players with little tread on his tires. He IS a long term solution.

That's a lot of draft capital. Too rich for my blood.

Each year with the RG3 trade those picks have given us a LOT of options. I think that's important to our 2014 draft strategy.

Besides; no way I invest a 1st in a RB unless they are AP. Runningbacks don't deserve that type of investment any longer.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Offense:

1-Shotgun 60% of time. The other 40% under center for run game and play action.

2-Add more No-Huddle. We have had our best offensive success, so far this year, when we keep the defense in their base coverage, etc.

3-The O-Line needs to pull their heads out of their collective asses and start doing their job. Too much money has been spent and little production. We cannot continue to re-build this unit.

4-More intermediate crossing type routes. We are either running too short of routes (5-7 yds.) or we run deep routes and WRs can't get free. This also creates a problem with the O-Line being able to hold off pressure. Also, run motion with WRs to allow them to gain separation with their speed at the snap of the ball.

5-If we are going to use a RB by Committee approach, well then f*cking do it.

6-Get the playmakers the ball. Austin, Pettis, Givens, and Cook need to have the majority of touches.

Defense:

1-Tackle, tackle and TACKLE!

2-Find the "Nasty" swagger you had last year and bring it back. Go back and watch game tape of some of the games from last year and see where you played lights out. Then bring that attitude to this season.

2-Play more Man Coverage allowing more blitzing by LBers, not the secondary. Quit trying to blitz with 185 DBs. They just get washed out by the opposing O-Line.

3-The front seven need to shut down the run. Play down hill.

4-Play fast!

Special Teams:

1-Stop committing penalties! Play smart.

Coaching Staff:

1-Put our playmakers in the position to succeed. Game plan for individual match-ups. Everyone else does it to expose our weaknesses, so should you to expose theirs.

2-Hold the player's accountable. Start punishing/fining player's for boneheaded mistakes. Same goes for you too. You f*ck up you should fine yourself.

3-Enthusiam/attitude breeds enthusiasm/attitude. Bring it to practice and the games.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Offense:

Fire Schottenheimer, tell him to go try and become a swimmer in Marty's nads again because that's when he most knew about football.

Trade for a proven receiver, it doesn't have to be like a Fitz or a Johnson, but get a guy who has proven he can get open and catch in the NFL. Having unreliable, inconsistent young guys is killing this offense. Outside of Cook Pettis is literally our eldest weapon... Let that sink in. This team needs a guy who has knowledge and can get it done. Too much pressure on the little guys to get it done. If we want something now, we've got to get less young or the waiting game continues.

Bench Richardson, he's a good guy, but he's just not getting it done. He doesn't look for holes and he's not all that explosive, LBers and DEs can catch up to him and one hit is all that's necessary to bring him down, not exactly what we need when we need somebody to revitalize our run.

Hire somebody as OC who isn't afraid of the spread and I formation, who when they say they'll run the Air Coryell actually runs the Air Coryell. Who when they see our O-line struggling will actually call some roll outs to alleviate pressure. Somebody who actually looks on the field and reads the defense and changes his attack based on what they're doing, not stubbornly try to push a cube through a circular hole.

Defense:

Play the press, our best defensive outings in a long time came from us playing the press against the 9ers and making Boldin and them earn it. If Walton can't handle that, bring back Blake.

Convert Finnegan to safety, have him take TJ's place. Giodarno has got nothing. Finnegan looks like he can still do, but he just doesn't have the wherewithal or closing speed he used to to be a competent CB anymore.

Sit Witherspoon, guy's a nice guy, but he's absolutely dreadful, never hear his name unless he's getting mauled. Ray Ray can't be much worse than he is at this point, let your rookies play, especially at this point. Not much else to lose.

Play safeties closer in. Having safeties deep is nice, but it opens up yardage in the zones where the CBs aren't and the safeties aren't quite there yet, leaving easy passes to make. Easy passes are what's killing us, gotta cut them out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OnceARam said:

Not trying to be mean but this is a fan perspective. There is more than just this year. That first round pick could be make or break after this year. You don't trade a 1st for a struggling HB. Ingram is worth a 5th at most.

If Ingram were Adrian Peterson or LeSean McCoy. Sure, trade a 1st. But for Mark Ingram? No.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:

Not trying to be mean but this is a fan perspective. There is more than just this year. That first round pick could be make or break after this year. You don't trade a 1st for a struggling HB. Ingram is worth a 5th at most.

If Ingram were Adrian Peterson or LeSean McCoy. Sure, trade a 1st. But for Mark Ingram? No.
This.

Some people are so desperate to win they're willing to cripple our team again in a few years afterward. It's exactly the same thing that happened to the GSOT. Make a bunch of crippling moves to keep the winning coming in the now, then in the later we're suffering because of it.

I know it's tough, but why would you want to go through this all again later after maybe 2 or 3 years of success?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:

This.

Some people are so desperate to win they're willing to cripple our team again in a few years afterward. It's exactly the same thing that happened to the GSOT. Make a bunch of crippling moves to keep the winning coming in the now, then in the later we're suffering because of it.

I know it's tough, but why would you want to go through this all again later after maybe 2 or 3 years of success?

What crippled the team was Mike Martz's drafting... so your point is not valid.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OnceARam said:
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:

This.

His point is entirely valid. Giving up a potential top 10 pick for a HB that has been a bust thus far is a huge mistake. HUGE.

Ingram isn't going to stop our defense from giving up 30 points per game. He's not going to fix our OL either.

I like Ingram and for the right price(a late round pick), I'd love for us to trade for him. But trading a first for Ingram is crazy. It is Matt Millen crazy...hell...it's beyond Matt Millen crazy. It's crazier than senile Al Davis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:

This.

His point is entirely valid. Giving up a potential top 10 pick for a HB that has been a bust thus far is a huge mistake. HUGE.

Ingram isn't going to stop our defense from giving up 30 points per game. He's not going to fix our OL either.

I like Ingram and for the right price(a late round pick), I'd love for us to trade for him. But trading a first for Ingram is crazy. It is Matt Millen crazy...hell...it's beyond Matt Millen crazy. It's crazier than senile Al Davis.

jrry32, what RB's do you like coming out? And, no to 1st rounder, that is way excessive for Ingram, IMO. 4th round pick, tops.

X, do you have a plan?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
OnceARam said:
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
OnceARam said:

This.

My point is valid, Martz couldn't get drafting done and he had almost all his picks, trading them all away for some guy who's not even that good will help what?

If a guy has the chance to miss on every draft, why would we want to go to having minimum picks with a high chance of failure for a struggler that may or may not pan out?

We've already experienced the year of having struggling vets on our team with contracts keeping and eating time from fellas that could do better.

At this point, I'd rather struggle withe the promise they might get better than be shackled with more guys who weren't anything and never will be and have already proven such.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR RAM said:
jrry32, what RB's do you like coming out? And, no to 1st rounder, that is way excessive for Ingram, IMO. 4th round pick, tops.

X, do you have a plan?

Currently, my favorite is Lache Seastrunk from Baylor. Jeremy Hill from LSU is also a great talent but a complete mess off the field.

I also have heard great things about Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin.

But the 2015 Draft Class is sadly MUCH stronger than 2014 at HB. 2015 is pretty damn stacked.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm sorry if I'm out of line for answering a question meant for jrry...but I really like Lache Seastrunk (Baylor), James Wilder Jr. (Florida State), Michael Dyer (Louisville), Isaiah Crowell (Alabama State), and David Fluellen (Toledo). Seastrunk is a very borderline first round pick who's like Lesean McCoy. Wilder Jr., Dyer, and Crowell have character issues (Dyer's and Crowell's are much more significant than Wilder Jr.'s), but they're all very talented players. Fluellen caught my attention when he shredded Mizzou's defense. He's a great three-down back for Toledo who excels at all facets of the game.

Other names to keep an eye on are Charles Sims (West Virginia), Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin), and Alfred Blue (LSU).

And yeah, 2015 is so much stronger than 2014 that it isn't even funny. Todd Gurley, Keith Marshall, T.J. Yeldon, etc.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
I'm sorry if I'm out of line for answering a question meant for jrry...but I really like Lache Seastrunk (Baylor), James Wilder Jr. (Florida State), Michael Dyer (Louisville), Isaiah Crowell (Alabama State), and David Fluellen (Toledo). Seastrunk is a very borderline first round pick who's like Lesean McCoy. Wilder Jr., Dyer, and Crowell have character issues (Dyer's and Crowell's are much more significant than Wilder Jr.'s), but they're all very talented players. Fluellen caught my attention when he shredded Mizzou's defense. He's a great three-down back for Toledo who excels at all facets of the game.

Other names to keep an eye on are Charles Sims (West Virginia), Melvin Gordon (Wisconsin), and Alfred Blue (LSU).

And yeah, 2015 is so much stronger than 2014 that it isn't even funny. Todd Gurley, Keith Marshall, T.J. Yeldon, etc.
I was trying to run a misdirection, but I'm glad both of you answered it. I like a few of these guys, but obviously it's early. I don't think we have our RB on the roster. I don't think we have our #1 receiver on the roster.

I want a big every down back, I think we do have a 3rd down, or complimentary back on the roster. Seastrunk would have to be my pick currently, but that may change.