Realistic suggestions for getting back on track?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Key word: Realistic.

Whadda ya got?

BobCarl

Rookie
X said:
Key word: Realistic.

Whadda ya got?

1st round Next season ..... pick a stud ML and a stud RB ... and with the rest of the draft pick up some good depth/future OL starters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offense:
1. No huddle hurry up offense giving Sam the ability to make play-calls at the LOS(if he wants it)
2. Look into some FA/Practice Squad/Trade HBs...we need a bruiser...if not, get Stacy involved
3. Allow Tavon Austin to attack the intermediate and deep parts of the field...really start to expand our offense into the 2nd and 3rd levels of the field
4. Use Harkey and HBs to chip and give protection help

Defense:
1. Get up on the LOS or at least 5 yard or less cushions
2. Bring some A and B gap blitzes
3. Tampa 2(Laurinaitis looked good getting up the seam against SF)
4. Finnegan to FS and McLeod to slot CB...if Finnegan can make the switch

Get the team angry.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We have to focus on establishing the deep ball and at least make it a viable option. Send guys like Givens and Quick on deep routes, not just one at a time. Not just to keep defenses honest, but to help out our running game, to make the short and intermediate routes viable options.

Our defense also has to sustain more pressure from the middle. Not only will it help out our pass-rush, but it will also slow down the run. Brockers and Langford need to contribute just a touch more in that regard, since I don't trust the backups we have at defensive tackle.

McGee needs to see a lot more time in the nickle package or they should simply use a 4-3 base package with Laurinaitis, Ogletree, and Armstrong. Witherspoon and Finnegan have slowed down. It's time to test out the new blood that we have. Same thing on the offense with Stacy. Richardson is really hurting. Why not use Stacy and see what we have?

Either way, trying the same thing over and over is nothing short of insanity. Some things have to change.

BobCarl

Rookie
EastRam said:
Instill some Attitude.
that would be a big help ... part of why I want a stud ML and a stud RB on the team ... those guys set the attitude of the team

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Start over. Fuck the 1st quarter of the season and come out w/ a 0-0 mentality. We on the internet can say over and over "use the weapons right" and "stop playing 10 yards off the WRs" all we want but it doesn't look like the coaches will be changing much.

Beat Jacksonville. Convincingly. Let the Rams be the team that finds the cure instead of letting someone else feel better.

Oh and bring back the good luck thingy.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Man "realistically getting back on track" seems hard to imagine after the last 3 games, but I'll give it a shot.

On offense I think a monster problem has been the OL as of late. We've given up a ton of sacks the last two games and the OL has been getting zero push in the running game. Is this fixable? IDK... I got nothing here. It would certainly help of our receivers could get in a rhythm with Bradford and Schotty could call a better game. This team has to establish the pass before it can run and it just hasn't happened the last two games. Fisher wants to run the ball more which leads to more bland playcalling. All I know is if you can't run it, then don't. It's working for Denver.

On defense, we need Dunbar back IMHO. Something has to change. We need a conscious effort out of Finnegan to have more awareness of situations. We need to be more aggressive. We won't get turnovers if we don't force the opponent's hand.

At the end of the day, I think the most fixable problem is the passing game. Austin, Givens, Cook, Bradford, and Pettis need to have a long talk with Schotty/Fisher and tell them what's going on. If nothing else, at least disguise the running game better because we ain't blocking nobody. Receivers need to not give up late in the game, too.

This long week is almost like a bye week so the team has time to regroup. We have the whole season ahead and if our young guys can rekindle the fire and get in a ryhthem, anything can happen. It's about getting hot at the right time. This isn't week 12, it's week 5.

So in a nutshell I'm saying we should disguise the run better, secondary needs to play smarter, and Schotty needs to call better games. Of those 3 categories, I think Schotty calling better games is the least fixable. Fisher isn't helping anything by saying he wants to run more, either. This post GSOT, not pre GSOT. Need to leave the power O in the past where it belongs unless it's on the 2 yard line.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Tell them to go out and get it. Stop letting the other team dictate how we play, attack them fast and attack them early. Go into the no huddle, use your speed, and attack the defense. When on defense attack the football, punish the receivers, punish the runners, punish the QB.

We may still lose and we may give up big plays sometimes, but we're going to make the other team feel pain for every yard they gain.

BobCarl

Rookie
Memento said:
We have to focus on establishing the deep ball ....
I like the way you think ... however since we can't run the football the opposing defenses can play a step or two back ... making it harder for us to connect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
Tell them to go out and get it. Stop letting the other team dictate how we play, attack them fast and attack them early. Go into the no huddle, use your speed, and attack the defense. When on defense attack the football, punish the receivers, punish the runners, punish the QB.

We may still lose and we may give up big plays sometimes, but we're going to make the other team feel pain for every yard they gain.

Yep. Don't play scared and hesitant. Trust your instincts and attack.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
1. Game plan to set tempo on both sides

2. Mix in no-huddle off and on

3. Use Sam in shotgun and on more roll outs

4. Give Stacy a shot to pound the ball.

5. Pull the guards more on running plays

6. Use the screen

7. Push the ball down the field

8. Use Quick and design back shoulder and jump plays for him

9. Move Austin and Cook around and use them in a way we haven't shown

10. Ditch the off coverage, play physical CB play

11. Blitz occasionally

12. Consider moving Finnegan to Safety

13. Get Ray Ray in the game

14. Get Scotty a mistress who does something more than missionary

V3

Hall of Fame
If you're talking about getting back on track this year, I'd say they have to change the way they practice. No more of this soft BS that I'm hearing about. They need to be full pads, full tackling, and full length. I keep hearing that they get days off, get off practice early and don't tackle in practice. You play the way you practice so practice hard.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
BobCarl said:
Memento said:
We have to focus on establishing the deep ball ....
I like the way you think ... however since we can't run the football the opposing defenses can play a step or two back ... making it harder for us to connect.

True...that doesn't mean that you don't try. At the very least, it causes the defenses to back off, and when they back off, it gives you much more room to run the ball.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Bench everybody that is underwhelming. For instance, play Barnes over Wells; keep starting Tru over Finn; Armstrong over Witherspoon, etc. This is also meant for coordinators, if they aren't doing a good job, give someone else a shot.

Develop the youth, this is a process, and we are the youngest team in the league. We weren't supposed to be world beaters this year, but we have to get better position by position, inch by inch.

Attack more on offense and defense. Run no huddle, and hurry up. Run more big and little crossing patterns. Find a way to run the ball, there has to be something our OL can do right--I hope so.

MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket once in a fucking while. Sam has a bulls-eye on his head, and we are facilitating it.

Stop being so predictable. Watch film for for tells, recognize them, and eliminate them. Check the training facility for spy cameras. Interrogate the entire staff for spies.

Find your identity, then forge it.

Have fun, do your job, then help your teammates.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
Bench everybody that is underwhelming. For instance, play Barnes over Wells; keep starting Tru over Finn; Armstrong over Witherspoon, etc. This is also meant for coordinators, if they aren't doing a good job, give someone else a shot.

Develop the youth, this is a process, and we are the youngest team in the league. We weren't supposed to be world beaters this year, but we have to get better position by position, inch by inch.

Attack more on offense and defense. Run no huddle, and hurry up. Run more big and little crossing patterns. Find a way to run the ball, there has to be something our OL can do right--I hope so.

MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket once in a freaking while. Sam has a bulls-eye on his head, and we are facilitating it.

Stop being so predictable. Watch film for for tells, recognize them, and eliminate them. Check the training facility for spy cameras. Interrogate the entire staff for spies.

Good stuff DR.

Its hard to argue with that list.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
DR RAM said:

MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket, MOVE the pocket once in a freaking while. Sam has a bulls-eye on his head, and we are facilitating it.

:cry: Thats a long list. But a correct list.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Offense:
1. No huddle hurry up offense giving Sam the ability to make play-calls at the LOS(if he wants it)
2. Look into some FA/Practice Squad/Trade HBs...we need a bruiser...if not, get Stacy involved
3. Allow Tavon Austin to attack the intermediate and deep parts of the field...really start to expand our offense into the 2nd and 3rd levels of the field

Defense:

Get the team angry.

Lots of good ideas here.

I think it was Memphis who was lobbying for a true fullback for this roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Offense:

Defense:

Get the team angry.

Lots of good ideas here.

I think it was Memphis who was lobbying for a true fullback for this roster.

And I agree with him. Get a FB like John Conner and a bigger HB...whether that's Michael Turner/Beanie Wells or a trade option like Mark Ingram or Robert Turbin or Roy Helu or a practice squad option or Stacy. We need a big HB that can push the pile.

We have no power in the run game...on the OL and in the back-field.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
CGI_Ram said:
1. Game plan to set tempo on both sides

14. Get Scotty a mistress who does something more than missionary

THIS is the key right here!!! His lack of creativity may have originated in "other" areas... :lol: :lol: :lol: