Ravens trade their starting center to the 49ers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL. Fans, yeah they really have the answer.

Titans fans hit the nail right on the head with Coty Sensabaugh and Jared Cook.

No he's not. Ozzie Newsome isn't any better or worse than most GMs. Why people still put him on a pedestal above others is beyond me.

Probably has something to do with the two Super Bowl rings and all the winning seasons.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about forums like this one. You have a bunch of knowledgeable fans who are able to come to a consensus on players.

Again, you're not answering my question. Would you advise fans of another team to trust PFF's analysis of a Rams player over your own?

That's essentially what you're arguing we should do. We should ignore the analysis of the Ravens version of fans like you for PFF's grade.

I'm not ticked off at PFF. I'm disappointed that they had an opportunity to do something the right way and chose to do it the wrong way. And it makes me more disappointed to see people give them credibility simply because it's convenient.

I'm not interested in applying for a company like that. If I wanted to do that as a job, I'd start my own. But that's not the career path I'm going to take. The only thing that will get me to leave law is a chance to work in a NFL Front Office.(or if I invented something and started my own business) Beyond that, I'm content where I am.
LOL
1) Yes, we have many great fans here at ROD, most willing to listen, study, learn, teach, observe, have fun, question, debate, offer alternatives & provide sources than others, but even here, some occasionally state opinion as fact, although a small minority imo. There is tons of great information, thought, links provided, and observations made by very good posters, some consistently, some whenever they can make time. I think we all are very lucky for ROD and its community. As someone who visits other team forums occasionally, I find that ROD pretty much leads the way with overall fan knowledgable & excellent moderation.

2) Probably not, but i'd certainly advise a second opinion.
Please don't associate my words with your opinions suggesting i'm 'essentially arguing' for something i'm not. You have already pretty much associated all/majority of fans with watching NFL film, which we both know is untrue. I imagine the number of ROD members regularly watching subscribed NFL film is also a small percentage of the total. Few fans have the time necessary to spend going over hours of tape.
When I offer a PFF analysis, it's strictly a guide to what others are saying, whether you choose to discredit them or accept another opinion is completely in the hands of the reader. Sometimes i'll offer a PFF quote because i'm in agreement, sometimes to get a reaction to stimulate debate, and sometimes when seeking an opinion from another member.

3) Not ticked off ?, OK, could have fooled me. Seems every year we go through the same motions. PFF never claimed to be the bible, it'a a low cost alternative means to broaden the knowledge of football fans with a desire for information not easily acquired elsewhere without a good deal more time being spent. It's a grand collection of film and opinions shrunk to fit into magazine form, nothing more, take it or leave it. I think you have made it clear where you stand. jmo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Please don't associate my words with your opinions suggesting i'm 'essentially arguing' for something i'm not. You have already pretty much associated all/majority of fans with watching NFL film, which we both know is untrue.

I recommend you practice what you preach:
When you get a group of knowledgeable fans together who watch their team every week, they're going to be able to tell you how good or bad a guy is without having to watch the All-22. Of course, some of us do go back and watch the All-22.

I pretty clearly did not say that. On the other hand, you did say what I claimed you "essentially" argued:
Your quote:
As for PFF, I'll go with PFF over fan votes most anytime
My quote:
Again, you're not answering my question. Would you advise fans of another team to trust PFF's analysis of a Rams player over your own?

That's essentially what you're arguing we should do. We should ignore the analysis of the Ravens version of fans like you for PFF's grade.

3) Not ticked off ?, OK, could have fooled me. Seems every year we go through the same motions. PFF never claimed to be the bible, it'a a low cost alternative means to broaden the knowledge of football fans with a desire for information not easily acquired elsewhere without a good deal more time being spent. It's a grand collection of film and opinions shrunk to fit into magazine form, nothing more, take it or leave it. I think you have made it clear where you stand. jmo.

I'm disappointed because people do treat it like the Bible. In fact, you basically did that earlier in this thread.(you said you shouldn't treat it like the Bible, but then you discarded fans' opinions for PFF's grade...that's basically treating it like the Bible) PFF's Grades > Nothing. Knowledgeable Fan Opinions > PFF's Grades > Nothing.

It's that simple for me.

Anyways, I'll stop debating with you about this. Instead, I'll just post what Ravens fans are saying and let people make their own determinations.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quotes from Ravens fans:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586831&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
(Not all are Ravens fans, so I pulled the quotes of Ravens fans only)
He was probably the worst player on our team last year. Not a surprise at all. A lot of us were expecting/hoping for this move.

He gets physically over-matched in both run blocking and pass protection.

Oh, please tell me PFF had a high grade on him. I would love to add that to the PFF is terrible bucket

He was SOO bad. I wonder how getting pushed back .001 seconds after the snap and basically sacking your own QB grades as a play for PFF. He had a very reasonable salary for a starter, but the Ravens (wisely) cut him anyway and created a massive hole with no clear backup plan for him. Glad they don't subscribe.

We have the same # of serviceable centers as we did yesterday.

John Usrchel (the MIT PHD guy you see playing chess in the commercials) will likely get the first shot at the job. Urschel seems to have respect in the building, but I have some doubts about his strength at the point of attack as well. I'd rather find out with him, then stick with Zuttah another year, for sure.

I expect to draft someone too. Ethan Pocic would be a an awesome pick if we can get him in the second or third to add size to the interior, which is something Ozzie stated as a goal earlier this offseason.

Serviceable? Yeah, we have John Urschel, aka the math wiz in the headphone commercials with JJ Watt. Now, is he actually any good at the position? Remains to be seen. We thought he was our center of the future a few years ago, but he disappointed in his limited opportunities this past season.

Regardless of their next move, I assume the Ravens will at least look to draft a center, whether as an immediate replacement or a developmental project. The level of investment likely dependent on whether or not they try to bring in a FA like Mangold as a stop-gap option.

Turns out we just traded Zuttah to SF for a swap of 6th rounders. Win.

Ah, cool. So we got something for him. Nothing good, but something. Seems like the fairest deal to get for Zuttah.

He was bad. The last thing you want when your QB is coming off an ACL tear is a Center who keeps getting pushed back into him.

I want to have high hopes for Urschel, but it's not reassuring when the Ravens would rather have Zuttah in there than him, last year.

A same round swap for a player? Jeez that's bad...Every ravens fan trashes on Zuttah but he's still one of the better centers in the league.

Oh well cap space, Yay.

Every Ravens fan trashes him because he's terrible and gets Flacco killed, if he's not knocking him over himself, and doesn't generate any movement of the pile up the middle.

We didn't get a chance to upgrade. We have no good solution on the roster and got rid of a starter at a pretty key spot on the offensive line who's salary was only $3.5M. On top of that, pretty much all of us predicted this cut would happen. That should tell you what his play was like.

he was awful

Zuttah wasn't terrible in the ZBS, but once Kubiak left he was hot garbage.

We legit laughed in our forum (I was busy laughing IRL) when it was announced. Thought it must have been a fluke. We've been clamoring for him to be replaced for a solid year+.

Insert alternative facts joke here, While it is a fact I'll admit Zuttah did not deserve to go to the pro bowl he's more of a "Someone has to go" player that got lucky than anything else, still he was a serviceable starter that the ravens aren't going to replace easily.

Yeah, two years ago. (responding to the previous poster who said he was a serviceable starter)

There's one guy arguing that Zuttah is serviceable. The rest all think he's ineffective. That should speak volumes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I recommend you practice what you preach:

I pretty clearly did not say that. On the other hand, you did say what I claimed you "essentially" argued:
Your quote:

My quote:

I'm disappointed because people do treat it like the Bible. In fact, you basically did that earlier in this thread. PFF's Grades > Nothing. Knowledgeable Fan Opinions > PFF's Grades > Nothing.

It's that simple for me.

Anyways, I'll stop debating with you about this. Instead, I'll just post what Ravens fans are saying and let people make their own determinations.

This is your quote ; " The fans of those teams DO watch the NFL film on every play of every player on their team."

Really ?

Further, you are misrepresenting my statement.
My reply to the earlier poster ; "As for PFF, I'll go with PFF over fan votes MOST anytime, not that there aren't some exceptionally intelligent fan observations, but many are too emotionally involved to be unbiased".
See the difference between your DO and my MOST Counselor ? One is conclusive, the other is not.

You ask ; 'Would you advise fans of another team to trust PFF's analysis of a Rams player over your own?'
My answer ; "Probably not, but i'd certainly advise a second opinion."

You go on to accuse ; "That's essentially what you're arguing we should do. We should ignore the analysis of the Ravens version of fans like you for PFF's grade."

My answer ; In court, aren't 3'rd party testimonials often regarded as 'hearsay' ? I have certain knowledge of my own from witnessing actions on a football field. As to the opinions of people I don't know, I can't actually vouch for their expertise, so I would likely expect more from a publication which specializes in American Football than a random fan. Both being 3'rd party opinions should be noted.

Your claim of knowing what my 'essential arguing' for is off, ... way off.

Your comment ; "I recommend you practice what you preach" is out of line. While you may act like you may know or understand me, you most definitely do not. I won't expect an apology, considering the source, ... perhaps though, you could practice what ROD asks every poster, 'think before you post'.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No he's not. Ozzie Newsome isn't any better or worse than most GMs. Why people still put him on a pedestal above others is beyond me.
Lol okay so did every local analyst. When an entire sports base has three same opinion of you it's probably correct

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Excuse my Marylander bias but 2 superbowls since they came to Baltimore 20 years ago and a punch more afc championship/ divisional games. Ozzie Newsome is a master Gm

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Titans fans hit the nail right on the head with Coty Sensabaugh and Jared Cook.

Probably has something to do with the two Super Bowl rings and all the winning seasons.
This and this

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Point taken, Les.

When Ozzie is ready to let a player go, you have to wonder.

Then again, not much risk to the Niners in swapping 6th round picks, is there?

It's like when NE cuts a player, you have to assume they cannot contribute unless they are doing it because of the contract.

@Angry Ram Ozzie has been picking the roster, other than the QB which he always lets the HC select, and he always manages to retool the roster quickly. And he has worked for a couple of shitty owners too.

Ozzie knows exactly what to do, I wish he was the Rams GM.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Lol okay so did every local analyst. When an entire sports base has three same opinion of you it's probably correct

Meh. It really irritates me when fans behind keyboards get on their high horses and type furiously their "analysis" on a player without knowing the real ins and outs.

IDK or particular care how Jermey Zuttah did in Baltimore or will do in SF. I do know he was able to start and play every game while healthy in Baltimore (just looking at numbers). So clearly if he was as awful as all the fans and media claim he is the great Ozzie Newsome and Jerk Harbaugh wouldn't have played him.

Maybe it's money that caused his trade. Maybe he just got older and beaten down from the NFL life his play declined. It happens.

Excuse my Marylander bias but 2 superbowls since they came to Baltimore 20 years ago and a punch more afc championship/ divisional games. Ozzie Newsome is a master Gm

Not saying he's a bad GM at all. But c'mon, Jerry Reese has 2 SBs. So has Kevin Colbert. Other team's GMs have gone to many title and championship games. He's as good as those. Nothing more, nothing less.

@Angry Ram Ozzie has been picking the roster, other than the QB which he always lets the HC select, and he always manages to retool the roster quickly. And he has worked for a couple of crappy owners too.

See above comment.