Rams will interview 49ers OC Greg Roman

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I would shit myself if we hired him. Despite what anyone said this year, hes a fantastic coordinator. Our rushing offense will be top notch.

Athos

Legend
Don't know a thing about him.

Can anyone in the know, tell me about his background?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

alot of Whiners fans weren't happy with his play calling this season and will be happy to see the back of him.

iced

only positive i could see is maybe it helps lure Iupati easier

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I know the Whiners fans hated him this year - and it was pretty easy to see why. They went well away from their bread and butter - power o, running the ball from 2 or even 3 back (full house) sets early and often. With a terrible QB like Kaepernick it was always going to fail. The games I watched I couldn't work out why Gore was getting so few carries.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This is from a thread on a 49ers board on Greg Roman's 2-year extension in 2013. The first 3 comments are from 2013 and then it shifts to the end of this season.
http://sfo.scout.com/forums/1922-49ers-hardcore/11656584-greg-roman-signs-extension

nice move- the mad scientist gets a pay bump and an extension. he still could leave next year for a HC job. but i'm selfishly hoping he doesn't.
----------
Same here. Early on, I felt that losing him wouldn't be a huge deal, since he didn't seem to be doing much special and Harbaugh was anyway an offensive-minded head coach, mitigating the importance of the offensive coordinator.

But I've grown to appreciate his creativity, best seen in the running game so far, and willingness to tailor offenses to his personnel, like incorporating the Pistol and read-option concepts when Kaepernick took over. Hopefully, with a full off-season knowing that Kaepernick will be the starter, he'll have an equally creative gameplan developed for the passing game this season.

The run game has been absolutely state of the art and it would be nice to see an innovative passing game built around Kaepernick (much the way the Patriots built one in recent years around Brady, running more spread, hurry-up and utilizing two tight ends really well).
----------
think we were seeing more of the open passing game too with CK in there, later in the year. i'm excited to see what the mad scientist has planned with all the weapons we have this year (even with c-tree down for a while) AND a full offseason to work with CK. should be a great showcase of his abilities as a coach to utilize his weapons and gameplan for his opponents.
-----------
Wow..my my my how things have changed.
----------
i still think he's a highly capable coach. but I think he's hamstrung by his QB's limitations.
----------
Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Wait, wait, wait ......... wait a minute. Hamstrung by his QB's limitations? Huh? Isn't his job to improve the QB?. Isn't it his job to maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of his players? Isn't that what he draws a paycheck for? Under Roman the offense is a disaster. Stone age blocking schemes. Lousy pass route design. Can you say unimaginative? Statistically one of the worst in the league. And with a defense that consistently does its job and gets the offense the ball far better than most teams.

Kaepernick is no Peyton Manning. But under Roman, Peyton Manning would be no Peyton Manning either. Except Manning would have this dud fired by the second pre-season game. But Kaepernick can play, he's shown he can but under Roman's expert tutelage his performance has been in straight line decline. The OLine has declined individually and collectively.

Gore at least has been Gore, but the SF is where wide receivers and tight ends come to die. There is not a single offensive player that has improved under Roman. Not one. And he has failed to develop a single young player. And this guy is capable? He's had three years to correct this unbelievable delay/time out situation and has failed totally. Some capability. No, no. He sits on top of this manure pile. He is responsible. Its called leadership.

I'm sure he's a nice guy, family man, likes animals and is kind to old ladies. But NFL quality he is not. Maybe he'll do well at Michigan.
-----------
Two huge factors to his success last night.

1) San Diego did not get much of a pass rush against Kaepernick, and that gave him a lot more time to get comfortable in the pocket.

2) Gore's great start at running made the play-action effective, which forced the defense to commit, which opened up lanes to the outside.

Note, however, that Kaepernick did almost all of his damage from under center. His success in the past running came a lot out of the read-option and pistol, things which have been increasingly ineffective year over year without the threat of the pass.

Kap still struggled with some of his short area/tight window passing (particularly in the red zone), but he had some beautiful passes without the pressure in his face as well. Two of his best passes were brought back, too (the post back-endzone toss to Boldin and the outside the numbers route in stride that he hit Vernon Davis on). The game plan wasn't really that different, but the execution early and the inability of San Diego to mount enough of a pass rush played a huge part in his success.

Note: Anthony Davis and Marcus Martin were healthy, so this was as good an OLine as they've had in weeks. Not having Jonathan Martin getting bowled over on the right side repeatedly was a huge boon.
------------
Here's another thread on him needing to be fired...
http://sfo.scout.com/forums/1922-49ers-hardcore/13413496-official-fire-greg-roman-thread?s=69

Our Offense is BASIC CABLE!!! No Creativity!!! Roman got to go!
-----------
yeah it's definitely not roman who is the biggest problem. his QB is playing like a rookie at times. not seeing open receivers, seeing ghosts, missing open receivers, and panicking in the pocket. I don't care who is calling the plays. if the QB is playing like that, we'll continue to suck.
-----------
This is what happens when you take a multi-talented QB who is a great natural runner and try to turn him into a pocket passer. They are destroying his confidence and he doesn't look anything like the firebrand who first came onto the scene.

Fire Harbaugh and Roman, make Fangio the HC and Tomsula defensive coordinator. Then, PLEASE hire Kap's college coach, Chris Ault, who created and designed the Pistol for Kap. This is B***S***
----------
You can't blame overthrows and direct passes to CBs on the OC. CK needs to be benched. Just look at his production over the last 6 games. One of the worst in the league. Maybe the worst. It has A LOT to do with him.

We will get rid of Roman and Harbaugh regardless in the offseason. We will trade Harbaugh. Hopefully we give our DC a huge raise to stay. Hire a legit offensive guy to run the show. Could you imagine Chip Kelley with this team?
-----------
There's plenty of blame to go around on both Kap and the coaches.

Every multi-talented QB who was a great natural runner had to transition into being more of a pocket passer. Randall Cunningham did. Donovan McNabb did. Michael Vick did. Steve Youngdid.

There has yet to be a QB, at least one who's been successful to my knowledge, who was given free reign to run around and just rely on his God given athletic ability instead of being expected to transition to a pocket passer first.

We ran that offense basically when Kap first assumed the starting role, and yes he, and the offense, looked great. We scrapped it by and large because it's the NFL and defensive coordinators who have the benefit of the greatest football athletes on the planet lining up for them figured it out. They'd figure out the Pistol too in a year or so. Then you're once again back to square one.

If Kaepernick's confidence is being destroyed or if he can't transition into a pocket passer, that's a Kaepernick problem.

The young man needs to spend every available moment he has working on improving his accuracy as a passer. You can be the greatest athlete and have the strongest arm of anyone playing the position in the league. But if you can't hit your receivers often enough with accurate throws, then... well, how has Michael Vick's career panned out in the big picture in this league? That's Kapernick's path unless he puts in the work to change that.
-----------
Greg Roman and Jim Harbaugh are demonstrating how to destroy the confidence and creativity of a great young QB. Harbaugh is dumb and immature and Roman is way out of his league, never having developed a pro-style passing game at any level. Pathetic. I am ashamed of Jed York and Eddie D must be suffering from dementia to have not said anything yet...You can't blame the QB, even though he had his worst passing game since becoming a 49er.

He passes best on the run, so they keep him in the pocket. Roman apparently knows no passing schemes other than long passes down the sidelines. Give Kap the tools he needs, not a basic vanilla scheme. I've been watching the Niners for 68 seasons and have never seen a more pathetic and impotent offensive display. Changes will be made sooner rather than later.
-------------
It occurs to me that when Harbaugh was hired he made a big thing in an interview of being privately tutored by Bill Walsh for 9 months on the West Coast Offense. Everyone expected him to bring it with him. Has anyone seen it??? He is either too stubborn to use Bill's offense, or too dumb to remember the details of it. Walsh was a genius. While Roman and Harbaugh react to what the defense does, Bill would predetermine what the defense would have to do by scripting the first 15-20 plays.

He'd script his first play, knowing fully what each defender would have to do; the second play would be based upon how he thought they would react to his first play, etc. In other words, by varying his play calls, Walsh was controlling the defense, not the other way around. WAY OVER HARBAUGH AND ROMAN'S COLLECTIVE HEADS.
----------
The play either calls for a 3, 5 or 7-step drop and you do what the play calls for. Roman likes to keep him in the pocket with deep drops. Not smart.
------------
Greg Roman may, indeed, be replaced.. but his play calling has not been as bad as many think. Execution of the game plan remains a huge issue, from the O Line simply not being able to consistently sustain blocks in protection (or simply being out of sync), to Kaepernick consistently staring wide open WR in the face and failing to pull the trigger. I discussed this in the 'bench Kap' thread, but.. Roman and his staff definitely deserve criticism, but I think the criticism of them has more to do with adjustments than with play calling (or play design) as a whole.

When things aren't working, either because the defense is taking things away or the offense is unable to execute the called plays (or, as the case was yesterday, both), they have to make adjustments. And, week to week, they need to start to figure out ways to call plays that aren't leaving the same reads on the table. To be fair, they did call many more roll outs, but the WR corps still wasn't able to get further down field despite that, and, in fact, by having Kaepernick roll out, the Seattle DBs knew (more or less) the side the ball was going to and could cheat off the opposite side. The couple times that roll out was successful was when Kaep reversed field (like on that 3rd down conversion to Boldin, who cut across the grain and was wide open on the other side). Of course, plays like that can only be called so often.

The question is, what adjustments can be made? The OLine has to be able to sustain blocks to start. The WR have to be able to stretch the field. And the QB has to be able to make the throws when they are there. That didn't happen last night, and it hasn't happened consistently in many games. Richard Sherman was absolutely right in saying that the 49ers are not a team to be concerned with right now, because these are very basic things an offense has to be able to do.

Harbaugh, Chryst, Roman.. I don't know who needs to take the blame for Kaepernick not playing basic fundamental football, but moving forward (if they are around for next year), there can't be anymore Kaepernick working out on his own. They have to take ownership of his development. They need to make him work on the aspects of his game that continue to break down in the heat of battle.

But.. the play calling is not the issue. It's maybe 5th on the list of issues, to be frank. They do need to be less stubborn if the team isn't executing and find other plays that work, but that doesn't mean suddenly changing the entire identity of the team. Power running can be effective (Seattle won the Super Bowl last year without a dynamic offense), but it cannot be if everything else is failing to work around it.
-----------
Play calling is not the issue. Coaching incompetence is the issue. Kaepernick is at fault? Well any QB with an IQ smaller than his shoe size is bound to have execution problems. But who chose him to replace Alex S.? Who has stuck with him through thin and thinner?. Who decided he was a pocket passer?

Nah. The problem is coaching. The defense loses three quarters of its foundation - the linebacking corp, - its nose tackle, and then its back up nose tackle and its best CB, and still it plays at a high level. That's due to good coaching. That's due to Fangio.

The central issue is not talent. There's plenty of talent. Its Harbaugh and Roman. Do the test - name three young players (offense only) that have improved under their stewardship. OK name two. How about one. Yep can't disagree with you. Now, do the same thing using regression. Yep again. Under those circumstances play calling is totally irrelevant. May as well do the old pick-up game 'everyone go out for a pass and I'll hit the open guy' routine. Laughable. And sad.

Where are the clowns? Send in the clowns. Don't bother they're here.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
aaron-paul-boo-bitch.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, Fisher keeps looking for the next Larry Marmie of offense. I'm lukewarm on Roman, but he fits for a schematic standpoint was hoping for someone that would offer a tad more via the air, but with Fisher maybe that's just not possible.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Don't know a thing about him.

Can anyone in the know, tell me about his background?

From what I read he is an OC that likes to pound the rock and some people think he has the best creative and effective running sets in the NFL.

With his style Jeff Fisher would gladly hand over the offense's keys to him. Roman could also probably develop Robison into a beast of a tackle.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
With his style Jeff Fisher would gladly hand over the offense's keys to him. Roman could also probably develop Robison into a beast of a tackle.

Very true one thing that he does bring to the table is a solid background as an offensive line coach.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The most unfortunate part of my job is the high amount of 49er fans I must work with. They blame Roman for everything. They also can't believe they let Hairball get away and kept a GM responsible for consecutive terrible drafts. But mainly, they hate Roman.

The most fortunate part of my job has been the dismay caused by my favorite OC, Greg Roman.

Pass

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
From what I read he is an OC that likes to pound the rock and some people think he has the best creative and effective running sets in the NFL.

Very true one thing that he does bring to the table is a solid background as an offensive line coach.

The question is, how much of his passing game was limited by Crapondick?

There wasn't a whole lot of creativity there.