Rams weigh 5 trading partners for WR Brandin Cooks - Revisited from 2017 trade rumor TO the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The guy will retire at the next concussion. He is worth nothing in a trade.
Exactly. Every team could use a guy like him, but the concussions will prohibit anything other than a salary dump. And a salary dump means we'd give up picks we need.

He has a buyout in 2021. Rams' staff has been all over JRey's nuts about what a starter level talent he is. It's time for JRey to step in and give us production.

Fix the lines this offseason, add some LB talent, and wait for 2021 when it comes to Cooks IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Exactly. Every team could use a guy like him, but the concussions will prohibit anything other than a salary dump. And a salary dump means we'd give up picks we need.

He has a buyout in 2021. Rams' staff has been all over JRey's nuts about what a starter level talent he is. It's time for JRey to step in and give us production.

Fix the lines this offseason, add some LB talent, and wait for 2021 when it comes to Cooks IMO.
I fine giving up a pick myself to get him gone now.

You are correct about that 2021 buyout clause but are you looking at it as a good thing or bad? It will cost the Rams $13 mil in pure refined Ram DEAD Caps funds.....just to dump him off the books in 2021 after paying him near $17 million in 2020.

That's a rough amount to have to swallow in 2021 would it not? How much would be available to sign a Kupp & Reynolds after paying Cooks that $13 million to go elsewhere?

$13 million cap hit vs a loss of a draft pick?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fine giving up a pick myself to get him gone now.

If they trade him the dead cap hit for 2020 would be $21.8 million

If they cut him before March 20, the dead cap hit for 2020 would be $21.8 million.

There is zero reason to give up a pick to trade him - the cap situation would be the same, but the Rams would have one fewer pick. Either the Rams keep him and save $5 million in cap space in 2020 (but have much more of a cap hit in future seasons), or cut him - unless a team is willing to give the Rams a low pick or two for the right to gamble and pay Cooks $8 million in 2020 - which would be a bargain if he returned to form, but definitely a risk.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$13 million cap hit vs a loss of a draft pick?
I like to think there is an option C if we keep him too... He rebounds with a non-concussion season and puts up good numbers which lessens the cost to salary dump him to another team this offseason.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While true, his base salary still is 8 million in 2020 and if traded before 3/20 another 4 mill roster bonus. 12 mill 2021, 13 mill 2022.
Still a lot of bread for a guy seemingly 1 hit away from oblivion.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Since it's difficult to trade Cooks, I think it would be wise for McVay/O'Connell to design and call more plays to get him the ball. He's still fast and is a hard working guy. His hands are good too. Yes, he's not as sure handed in contested situations as Woods, but he still doesn't drop as many as other "premier" WRs in the league. He can contribute next year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While true, his base salary still is 8 million in 2020 and if traded before 3/20 another 4 mill roster bonus. 12 mill 2021, 13 mill 2022.
Still a lot of bread for a guy seemingly 1 hit away from oblivion.

The $4 million roster bonus is already guaranteed (was guaranteed by last season). Normally bonuses like that have to be paid before the trade period. So it is part of the $21 million plus in dead money. But yes, it would save the $8 million salary, and while the hit would be worse in 2020, it would help considerably in 2021 and 2022.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm rolling with Cooks in '20. McV's now familiar offense got neutered last season, and Cooks' opportunities and targets were nearly cut in half as a result. Blanketed. Not enough pass pro for deep speed guy.

If McV does what has to be done and revamps the scheme, Cooks will be fine and rebound...along with everyone else that struggled or regressed in '19. Goff, Gurley, the OLine etc.

Is his contract a pain in the ass? Yeah but it won't go critical mass until 2021 when Kupp will need a payday. Besides, if Cooks rebounds and does have a good season next year, he'll be more tradeable than he is today which is nil.

I see the concussions as a separate issue than the issue of pure production. If the problem continues the Rams and Cooks will find a way to work that out in the interest of both parties. Settlement.

Just my take. Go Chiefs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The $4 million roster bonus is already guaranteed (was guaranteed by last season). Normally bonuses like that have to be paid before the trade period. So it is part of the $21 million plus in dead money. But yes, it would save the $8 million salary, and while the hit would be worse in 2020, it would help considerably in 2021 and 2022.
Just stands to reason that a team could trade for him, they wouldn’t be inheriting a bad contract that would cause the Rams to have to include a pick. @flv cleared up that misconception. So what value would he carry? If the Rams were willing to take the cap hit, I could see a team taking a flyer on him, offering a 4-5th rounder, essentially taking him for only 8 mill.
I still prefer to keep him and have him play at his pre-2019 level

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still prefer to keep him and have him play at his pre-2019 level

That'd be ideal. Is it realistic, though? Do the Rams believe that he'll return to his old level, or are they convinced that concussions and a natural wariness have sapped that?

None of us know, of course. McVay et al play such things close to the vest. Doctor's evaluations can't be publically released. I hope he does have a number of excellent years left - that would be fantastic.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
There's no benefit to trading Cooks this off-season.
Have you seen this jrry32?

This projected calculated market value on UFA 2021 Cooper Kupp will play heavy into the future of Brandon Cooks from this point on IMO. I do not see the Rams being able to afford the trio of Cooks-Woods- Kupp in 2021. I sure see Woods & Kupp being vital to Goff success much more than Cooks.

Also besides dealing with the future upcoming Kupp contract...the Ramsey's projected calculated market value approx. 5yrs near $85 million with an average yearly salary as $16.9 million.

Kupp Market Value 4 yrs @ $77,884,334...Avg. Salary: $19,471,084..

How do you see this UFA Kupp situation being worked out?:bueller:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Deciding to proceed with BC in 2020 is a sure signal that Kupp & Everett will play for other teams in 2021. So I would suggest that Snead find a way to trade BC knowing that it will cost the Rams some of its current assets. That move will pay off in serious future dividends for the Rams team.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe if they proceed with BC in 2021, yes, but after this season they will have a lot more flexibility with BC as far as cutting him and can move his cap $$ to Kupp. I don't disagree that Snead should at least look for a way to trade him (nor would I disagree if someone argued the Rams should consider cutting Cook and absorbing the short-term pain of the cap hit). But i do think Cook's 2020 status can be cleanly separated from Kupp's 2021 status, and I really don't think neither McVay nor Snead have any intention of letting him hit the open market.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp's an elite player. IMO you make space for elite players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you seen this jrry32?

This projected calculated market value on UFA 2021 Cooper Kupp will play heavy into the future of Brandon Cooks from this point on IMO. I do not see the Rams being able to afford the trio of Cooks-Woods- Kupp in 2021. I sure see Woods & Kupp being vital to Goff success much more than Cooks.

Also besides dealing with the future upcoming Kupp contract...the Ramsey's projected calculated market value approx. 5yrs near $85 million with an average yearly salary as $16.9 million.

Kupp Market Value 4 yrs @ $77,884,334...Avg. Salary: $19,471,084..

How do you see this UFA Kupp situation being worked out?:bueller:

He won't cost that much.