Rams weigh 5 trading partners for WR Brandin Cooks - Revisited from 2017 trade rumor TO the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
$16,800,000 million
Thank you.

The article actually makes some sense to me.

It's not about saving money this year. It's about having the cap relief the following 3 years.

Cooks could be traded if a team only had to pay his base salary the next few years.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Cook's base salary over the next four years averages almost $12 million.

Psycho_X

Legend
The 5 teams guesstimated in this articel were:
Philadelphia Eagles
LV Raiders
Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
New York Giants

$16,800,000 million

Ah, I understand the article now. Didn’t realize you had to click through it to get the whole article as it is in sections. Hard to read on my phone. it sucks but rams may have to restructure Goffs contract just to have room to dump some of our salary with cap hits. Cooks is the most obvious but would be worth it if we get draft capital that Snead capitalizes on. Going to be an important offseason for the teams future.

Ram65

Legend
The article makes no sense as Jeffey has a guaranteed salary this year around $14 to $15 Million IIRC.

Add in Cooks' bonus dead money that has to be accounted for this year and it will cost the Rams more. I did stop reading at the mention of Jeffy trade.

Look at the numbers Cooks will be a Ram this year and maybe even longer. He can still be a productive player. He could have a bounce-back year. He is open on crossers with Goff throwing shorter to Woods. Even with some lower totals he spreads the field for the rest of the offense.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Of the suggested trades:
Raiders - 2 early 3rd round picks this year - I'd do this deal. Shed cap and could get some impact players here.

Bills - 2rd round pick (sending a 5th back) - I'd have to look into the draft class a bit more closely, but I'd lean no here.

Jets - 3rd and 4th round pick (sending back a 6th) - I'd take the Raiders trade obviously over this, but I'd have to consider this.

Giants - 2nd, 4th, 5th (send back a 2nd 18 picks later then theirs) - I'd definitely consider this. We need the picks. Would try and get a 3rd over the 4th though.

Skins - 3rd, 5th - That is an early 3rd, but probably not worth it until next season.

I think Cooks can definitely bounce back this year. He did take a vicious hit to head early this season and seemed off after that. A year later and he might have his confidence back.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The guy will retire at the next concussion. He is worth nothing in a trade.

Ram65

Legend
Of the suggested trades:
Raiders - 2 early 3rd round picks this year - I'd do this deal. Shed cap and could get some impact players here.

Bills - 2rd round pick (sending a 5th back) - I'd have to look into the draft class a bit more closely, but I'd lean no here.

Jets - 3rd and 4th round pick (sending back a 6th) - I'd take the Raiders trade obviously over this, but I'd have to consider this.

Giants - 2nd, 4th, 5th (send back a 2nd 18 picks later then theirs) - I'd definitely consider this. We need the picks. Would try and get a 3rd over the 4th though.

Skins - 3rd, 5th - That is an early 3rd, but probably not worth it until next season.

I think Cooks can definitely bounce back this year. He did take a vicious hit to head early this season and seemed off after that. A year later and he might have his confidence back.

Thanks for posting the info from the article.

You'd have to give up a 3rd to offload him.

I wonder if the Rams are trying to off load Cooks. I don't see Rams getting much or giving much to make it happen.

dang

Legend
It comes down to paying Cooks or offloading him and having the $$$ to keep a Littleton or Fowler or top FA OL.

Ram65

Legend
It comes down to paying Cooks or offloading him and having the $$$ to keep a Littleton or Fowler or top FA OL.

There would be no cap savings this year by offloading Cooks.

How would this help to resign Littleton or Fowler or top FA OL?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if the Rams are trying to off load Cooks. I don't see Rams getting much or giving much to make it happen.

There's no reason to give anything to get rid of Cooks. If they cut him by March 20 (I think) the cap hit is the same as if they trade him So no reason to give anything up, when they can waive him if they believe he won't be productive again. Now, I suspect they will give him a shot if he wants it. Or perhaps a team will offer the Rams a low pick or two for the right to gamble on him and pay his $8 million salary that will become guaranteed.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So long as the contracts are backloaded. Getting rid of Cooks actually would hurt their cap space for 2020, though would help in future seasons.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do we really think Cooks can work in this new 2020 offense? Cooks was not getting much separation from DB's in 2019 either.

We do know that he can be effective working in our 2018 version Rams offense but that year & model longer exists.

There is a good probability that this young inexperience OL will improve in their run blocking. On the other side a solid good working wall of pass protection stands to be a way off.

Cooks WAS an effective deep threat when Goff had the time in the pocket to get the ball to him. How many times do we expect that Goff will have in a game to utilize what Cook has to offer next to a Kupp/ Reynolds/ Everett/ Higbee & Reynolds?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Cooks WAS an effective deep threat when Goff had the time in the pocket to get the ball to him. How many times do we expect that Goff will have in a game to utilize what Cook has to offer next to a Kupp/ Reynolds/ Everett/ Higbee & Reynolds?

My concern with Cooks is his head and after coming back he was tentative and appeared to be playing scared and that is never good for a football player. I believe if the Rams can trade him they should and draft someone as they do have Webster who is close to being as fast. Cooks did play well against San Francisco and maybe he comes back strong in 2020, but the concussion thing still lingers and one more might send him out the door.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My concern with Cooks is his head and after coming back he was tentative and appeared to be playing scared and that is never good for a football player. I believe if the Rams can trade him they should and draft someone as they do have Webster who is close to being as fast. Cooks did play well against San Francisco and maybe he comes back strong in 2020, but the concussion thing still lingers and one more might send him out the door.
Way I am looking at it yesterday & today & from this point on.... My preference is for Snead/McVay to find the way to keep these four pass receiver both Kupp- Reynolds- Everett & Webster in this offense for 2021 on a few seasons after.

This is NOT going to be possible if Brandon Cooks (BC) is on this team in 2020 & beyond. BC has a certified cap hit of a near $17 million in 2020 & 2021, near $18 million in 2022 & $17.5 million in 2023 on the books now. (Near $70 million)

Deciding to proceed with BC in 2020 is a sure signal that Kupp & Everett will play for other teams in 2021. So I would suggest that Snead find a way to trade BC knowing that it will cost the Rams some of its current assets. That move will pay off in serious future dividends for the Rams team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Deciding to proceed with BC in 2020 is a sure signal that Kupp & Everett will play for other teams in 2021. So I would suggest that Snead find a way to trade BC knowing that it will cost the Rams some of its current assets. That move will pay off in serious future dividends for the Rams team.

While I concur wholeheartedly, it's going to be difficult to find a trade partner because of the cap hit and injury history. I know if I was a GM, I would stay clear of him and force him to play a year injury (head) free before I entertain the thought of acquiring his services, if it's pennies on the dollar.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While I concur wholeheartedly, it's going to be difficult to find a trade partner because of the cap hit and injury history. I know if I was a GM, I would stay clear of him and force him to play a year injury (head) free before I entertain the thought of acquiring his services, if it's pennies on the dollar.
Yes sir agree 100%. But it must be done, even knowing there is a cost with our few assets in 2020.