Rams waive Henderson and Hollins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So McVay decides to cut the only RB who's played in every game this season, and thus entrusting the duties to an RB who mysteriously was absent from the team for a couple weeks and who had missed all of last season due to injury, and a rookie RB who missed all of PS due to injury and then missed the regular season due to another one, and some folks dont acknowledge this is very effing bizarre?
I dont buy McVay giving up on the season, and doing Hendo a "solid" by cutting him. That sends a terrible message to the rest of the team who will still be left being expected to give it their all.

McVay’s falling out with certain players is intriguing. He did it with Goff and Gurley, now Akers, maybe Henderson. It’s a bit odd. It likely falls into my biggest critique of McVay. He is so married to his system and his way that it can lead to him not tolerating what he perceives as a slight or lack of dedication. Some would say that’s good but we’ve heard him admit that he has handled some situations poorly, when referencing these strained relationships.

Not suggesting that no tall player can be successful playing inside.

Suggesting that David Edwards may lack the natural bend and/or consistent technique to be successful.
Edwards is a real mystery. He was playing very good football a few years ago. He loooked like an ascending player that would anchor the Oline for years. Then the quality of his play gradually declined, even while he was next to Whitworth. He eventually became a liability imo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
For how many games? Allen's knee seems to be a huge issue. If it's not a torn ligament, it's swelling and fluid. We can save 5 mil with a 1.8 mil cap hit if he's cut post 6/1. I'd see how he fares in OTA's and then decide. We could sign a FA C or draft one.

It could be this:

Noteboom T
AJ Jackson T-G
Anchrum G
Bruss G
Havenstein RT
Brewer G
Arcuri T
Shelton C - G
Thomas T
UFA C (Bradbury-Minnesota?) or 2nd/3rd Round C (Avila-TCU?)

OR they could blow it up and sign/draft 5 new lineman

One thing that just came to mind.. just depending on how everything would break.

What if Edwards comes back at a cheap price and you're having him compete at guard.. but he's also your depth LT? He was #3 at the position last year and maybe being a versatile backup is his future.
You could do much worse for your 6th-7th lineman.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Unraveling.....the team is unraveling before our eyes.
Even the violently insane Mike Martz managed to drag on the illusion of a Championship window for a couple of years.
Some of these moves are baffling.
My position is Snead/McVay thought too much of themselves as NFL administrators after their Feb 2022 SB win. A bit too Cocky for me.

Not only did the wheels come off abruptly before the first regular season game they have so many missing parts or broken parts the team can barely run out onto the field before the game before more parts of this team falls off. They just might run over themselves before too long.

That would be valid if Evans was also cut, but apparently we can’t afford to get rid of him.
It sure appears to me that 4th yr OL'er Bobby Evans has been Coach Carberry's insurance pacifier :smilehearts:for his first 2 seasons with the Rams. I can make an argument that Evan's (along with his deplorable field performances in the last 3 yrs) value/worth to Rams has never been so high.:dizzy:

Currently, the Rams have 3 starting LT injured (Noteboom/Jackson/Ns. Evans will likely start @ LT this Sunday with just recently signed OT Zach Thomas Who has never played in an NFL gm) as Evans's backup. Carberry has lost OG's permanently or for long periods of time Chandler Brewer, Logan Bruss, Tremayne Anchrum, David Edwards, and Coleman Shelton currently new arrival OG Matt Skura who has only been on the field for 60 snaps the last 2 weeks is out with a knee injury a career-long saga for his knees. Leaving only one healthy OG to start Sunday. Shelton might have to play OG & Kolone move back in to start @ OC.

Center Brian Allen's knee must be disintegrating as I post & has only finished 1 gm out of 4 he has started this season. Allen is out again this week meaning Shelton will start @ OC. With Matt Skura out means, Carberry will need to call up Jeremiah Kolone or the newly signed Cole Toner who does have 4 starts in the NFL over 5 seasons. Shelton might have to play OG & Kolone move back in to start @ OC.

Then once you ponder on that it becomes apparent just how bad the Ram's OL plan for the repeat SB in 2023 was just NOT good. But there is always the Injury Excuse to offer up but that happens every season does it not.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
One thing that just came to mind.. just depending on how everything would break.

What if Edwards comes back at a cheap price and you're having him compete at guard.. but he's also your depth LT? He was #3 at the position last year and maybe being a versatile backup is his future.
You could do much worse for your 6th-7th lineman.

Edwards may be looking at something that could beat Allen's contract (3 years, 18M.) and approach what Austin Corbett received (3 years, 26M.), his potential ability to swing between both OG positions and OT is not likely to be overlooked by a few needy teams. The Rams neglect of the OL has sadly left us with little knowledge for how Edwards might perform as an OT, although his next team may capitalize on our negligence. jmo.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
My position is Snead/McVay thought too much of themselves as NFL administrators after their Feb 2022 SB win. A bit too Cocky for me.

Not only did the wheels come off abruptly before the first regular season game they have so many missing parts or broken parts the team can barely run out onto the field before the game before more parts of this team falls off. They just might run over themselves before too long.

It sure appears to me that 4th yr OL'er Bobby Evans has been Coach Carberry's insurance pacifier for his first 2 seasons with the Rams. I can make an argument that Evan's (along with his deplorable field performances in the last 3 yrs) value to the Rams has never been so high.

Currently, the Rams have 3 starting LT injured. Evans will likely start @ LT this Sunday with just recently signed OT Zach Thomas Who has never played in an NFL gm) as Evans's backup. Carberry has lost OG's permanently or for long periods of time Chandler Brewer, Logan Bruss, Tremayne Anchrum, David Edwards, and Coleman Shelton currently new arrival OG Matt Skura who has only been on the field for 60 snaps the last 2 weeks is out with a knee injury a career long saga for his knees. Leaving only one healthy OG to start Sunday. Shelton might have to play OG & Kolone move back in to start @ OC.

Center Brian Allen's knee must be disintegrating as I post & has only finished 1 gm out of 4 he has started this season. Allen is out again this week meaning Shelton will start @ OC. With Matt Skura out means, Carberry will need to call up Jeremiah Kolone or the newly signed Cole Toner who does have 4 starts in the NFL over 5 seasons. Shelton might have to play OG & Kolone move back in to start @ OC.

Then once you ponder on that it becomes apparent just how bad the Ram's OL plan for the repeat SB in 2023 was just NOT good. But there is always the Injury Excuse to offer up but that happens every season does it not.
"injury excuse"...?

WTF...10 different combinations in 10 games? It's the legit reason why the offense has come un-glued. No team will be competitive with their 5th different guy at key positions on the line.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injury excuse or not, the team needs less injury-prone players on that O-line. To think that Boom or Allen will play without getting injured again is not smart.

And for those that don't remember 2016... McSnead went ftom last in offense to first in 1 year. I am hopeful they can do it again.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
"injury excuse"...?

WTF...10 different combinations in 10 games? It's the legit reason why the offense has come un-glued. No team will be competitive with their 5th different guy at key positions on the line.
I think Jourdan really nailed it describing the Oline situation this year and the Rams approach.

People who say the Rams didn't invest in the Oline are wrong. They spent really good money on Noteboom and Allen and a 3rd round pick, their highest pick in the draft, and a 7th round pick. This after a year where they developed a UDFA into a decent-to-really good starter and continued developing a depth guy in Chandler Brewer.

But she ALSO pointed out.. it's more than fair to question if they did the right moves. The guys on the board who said signing Noteboom and Allen were mistakes? Looks like they're right. There were limited options... I did wonder at the time if they should go big and go for Armstead.. but he was expensive.

When you add Noteboom and Allen being injured again, which their history suggested was very possible/likely.. to a true RASH of other injures? You get the steaming pile of crap this year turned into.

I get why people are upset with Evans.. but I also get why he keeps getting onto the field. The worst-case scenario keeps happening.. week after week.

People want to make it about reasons more than that and make it an indictment on everyone involved in the process.. rather than acknowledging they've made multiple moves this year to keep him off the field.. but injuries just keep happening.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We use this phrase injury prone often. A guy gets hurt a couple of times and he's injury prone. It's the NFL and guys get injured.

Is Cooper Kupp injury prone or do we hesitate to label him that because of his production?

Groin in 2017 preseason. Was ready for the start of regular season

Concussion in 2018 Didn't miss any time.

MCL strain in 2018 Missed 2 G

ACL tear 2018 missed rest of year 6 G

Knee injury in 2020. Miss the GB PS game.

Ankle injury in 2022. No game missed

Another ankle in 2022. Currently out.

He's missed time every other year. But I wouldn't want to part ways with him.

Rodger Saffold missed 28 games his first 6 years with the Rams. I swear, if the center farted, there was a good chance Rodger could pull a muscle.

By year, he missed 0-7-6-4-0-11 and parts of many other games when he went out injured. But over time he figured out something....... training? , prevention? , recovery? ......because over the last 7 years he's missed 1-1-0-0-1-2-0.

Big uglies get injured. Trench warfare. Very big.bodies falling on knees and ankles. Maybe it takes a little time to develop eyes in the back of your head, like young QBs developing a sense of pressure they can't see but must feel?

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Let's see if anyone can recall how prepared for the new NFL season where OL'ers drop injured like spayed flies with every snap of the ball.

First does anyone remember how many WR's did Mcvay start the season with?

How many OL'ers did the McVay start the regular season on the MR53 with.......10? or 9? or 8?

You win if you said 8.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Let's see if anyone can recall how prepared for the new NFL season where OL'ers drop injured like spayed flies with every snap of the ball.

First does anyone remember how many WR's did Mcvay start the season with?

How many OL'ers did the McVay start the regular season on the MR53 with.......10? or 9? or 8?

You win if you said 8.

What?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was getting in on the flow of the posts involving the injury excuse conversation ......does that answer your question?

I thought that statement would provide the far boundary perimeters of that injury excuse opinion, not much more needs to be said to beef up those OL injuries defenses to point to why this team is bottom feeding for wins.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was getting in on the flow of the posts involving the injury excuse conversation ......does that answer your question?
No, I don't understand the phrasing of your question.

By the way.. Chandler Brewer and Kolone would've most likely been lineman #9 and #10.

So, I'm not sure that the number they kept matter as much as you seem to be suggesting here.

Tano

Legend
Rodger Saffold missed 28 games his first 6 years with the Rams. I swear, if the center farted, there was a good chance Rodger could pull a muscle.

By year, he missed 0-7-6-4-0-11 and parts of many other games when he went out injured. But over time he figured out something....... training? , prevention? , recovery? ......because over the last 7 years he's missed 1-1-0-0-1-2-0.
He had a shoulder issue that was solved by a surgery.

No idea why he didn't get the surgery earlier in his career during the offseason.

Hasn't been hurt since that surgery.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He had a shoulder issue that was solved by a surgery.

No idea why he didn't get the surgery earlier in his career during the offseason.

Hasn't been hurt since that surgery.
Yes that was his most troublesome injury. But he had others unrelated to the shoulder. My point was he was "injury prone" early in his career. And he was a T who transitioned to G, though it wasn't exactly immediate success. I recently read an article I found when googling his injuries and in 2015....his 6th year in the league.....he was rated #69 out of 74 NFL guards. So maybe we shouldn't unload Noteboom so quickly? Allen? I think his knee is going to be a problem forever...and cutting him is a much lower dead money hit. Sign or draft a C. I like TCU center Avila and when I was watching the TCU game yesterday, I just watched him. 335 lbs with agility. Stood up DTs in the pass game and moved them in the run game. Slide off double teams to engage other rushers. Kid looks talented and right now he's the #3 rated OC, much like another #3 rated C we passed on.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So maybe we shouldn't unload Noteboom so quickly? Allen? I think his knee is going to be a problem forever...and cutting him is a much lower dead money hit. Sign or draft a C.
I concur, one #55 for another.
1669567534240.png

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
They are not picking a OC with the top pick. Gonna be a WR…or maybe a RB. Lol ;)

I agree that McSnead have blinders a bit on the OL. Thinking a great QB and elite WR group is what is needed. Give them an adequate OL and they will overcome any OL deficiency (as opposed to the other way around).

Arguably that can work. It did for us last year. But you need amazing health along the OL like last year. Even if we had half the injuries this year, the OL was still not good enough. Even perfect health it was possibly a questionable group. But we’ll never really know because everyone got hurt.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They are not picking a OC with the top pick. Gonna be a WR…or maybe a RB. Lol ;)
I disagree and I actually believe they will pick a Tackle (Left Tackle) and Center later in the draft, which I believe Oluwatimi can be added. Rams can add a RB later, however, the Rams must come away with One Tackle, One Center & One Guard in the up coming draft. They must and I will not settle for anything less, unless, they grab a couple in free agency.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I agree that McSnead have blinders a bit on the OL. Thinking a great QB and elite WR group is what is needed. Give them an adequate OL and they will overcome any OL deficiency (as opposed to the other way around).

Arguably that can work. It did for us last year. But you need amazing health along the OL like last year. Even if we had half the injuries this year, the OL was still not good enough. Even perfect health it was possibly a questionable group. But we’ll never really know because everyone got hurt.
Snead/McVay's last real injection of talent into their OL with a good well seasoned OL'er was in March 2017.......over 5 1/2 yrs ago. How well did that decision work out?

Snead/McVay might want to rethink what they have been doing to get this lowest-rated in the NFL 2022 OL version. I know I would trash the OL plans they have used for the last 4 yrs which brought us to this point here in the OL.

My brain thinks it's time to elevate & raise OL talent in 2023 if they want to keep #9 on the field healthy to earn his large paycheck.

I know most all here believe Snead/McVay met their objective with the conclusion of the 2021 season. Their decision to spend serious large amounts of Ram's assets in 2021 & into the future for that one event 2021 SB conclusion should have continued for yrs & not ended in 2022 by the bye. Rams Team assets were not well spent in my evaluation.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I disagree and I actually believe they will pick a Tackle (Left Tackle) and Center later in the draft, which I believe Oluwatimi can be added. Rams can add a RB later, however, the Rams must come away with One Tackle, One Center & One Guard in the up coming draft. They must and I will not settle for anything less, unless, they grab a couple in free agency.

That makes sense, *if* they release both Noteboom and Allen.
That would bring them to ten OL on the 53 next year, by my count.
Three rookies, plus
Jackson, Bruss, Anchrum, Shelton, Havenstein, Brewer, Arcuri..
They have some time to see if Zachary Thomas can be a contributor.. that could impact some of the math. He projected as a decent zone-blocking OL.. who knows?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm kind of hoping Nolan Smith with his injury falls to us in the 2nd.