Rams Voluntary Minicamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm a little worried about Harris.

There's not a long list of players that didn't see the field in their rookie season, got a season ending injury and made it back to become a significant contributor.

He's got an uphill battle against history. Hopefully he's an anomaly.

What was the name of that tall, lanky WR the Rams had a number of years ago that had such terrible knee problems, ... Alexander or something near it ? He would have really been something if it weren't for those bad knees.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
What was the name of that tall, lanky WR the Rams had a number of years ago that had such terrible knee problems, ... Alexander or something near it ? He would have really been something if it weren't for those bad knees.

Danario Alexander. Former Mizzou player who played at the same time Jeremy Maclin played. Alexander had knee issues since high school and only really played in one season for the Tigers (although it was an amazing season). We signed him as a UDFA. I loved the kid, he was just as talented as Randy Moss, in my honest opinion, but his body betrayed him.

I hope it's not the same for Harris because I salivate over what he could do for us. It's a shame he's not being a tight end because we'll need one to eventually replace Higbee, but I could see him be an elite wide receiver.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Danario Alexander. Former Mizzou player who played at the same time Jeremy Maclin played. Alexander had knee issues since high school and only really played in one season for the Tigers (although it was an amazing season). We signed him as a UDFA. I loved the kid, he was just as talented as Randy Moss, in my honest opinion, but his body betrayed him.

I hope it's not the same for Harris because I salivate over what he could do for us. It's a shame he's not being a tight end because we'll need one to eventually replace Higbee, but I could see him be an elite wide receiver.

That's the guy, thanks.
Harris doesn't appear to have such chronic issues, so I'm wondering if his upside might approach those of Alexander's receiving ability ?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's the guy, thanks.
Harris doesn't appear to have such chronic issues, so I'm wondering if his upside might approach those of Alexander's receiving ability ?

Yeah, I like Harris' chances more than Danario's.

Also feel terrible for Bud Sasser, the Mizzou receiver we drafted in the sixth round; he had to retire because we caught a heart condition. He was solid and dependable at Mizzou, our third down receiver.

And I still think, to this day, that Stedman Bailey got the worst break of all because him in McVay's offense would be elite, I really do think so.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Man did that guy show flashes of what could have been. REALLY sad his knees were what they were. He could have been a star.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay said Harris was no longer a TE. So I think that means they don't think he's going to be able to put on weight. He might be one of those super high metabolism types (those fuckers).

What I like about him is his body control. He can move and twist and shit for the ball in ways that a lot of guys can't. I don't think you can teach that. I also think that's why the Rams were so excited about him last year. They sent tape of him in camp to Coen over at Kentucky. That tells me there was crazy buzz, over and above the rumors of people at Rams park calling him a unicorn.

Clearly the guy is a potential weapon. There's no doubt about it in my mind. Just keep working his hands/focus and hope that he can stay healthy and maybe put a little weight on. Only thing I'd caution them on is don't let him get top heavy. That can happen very easily to the tall dudes if they don't beef the lower half or the upper half gets too big IMO.
I’m high metabolism and still weigh 250……Just big boned ~ Merlin

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The hardest thing for Harris to overcome to be successful will be to develop the WR mentality. The ability to focus on a ball and make a catch through hitting the ground while being targeted for big hits every play. It's something he doesn't have and it showed last season at times. He needs lots of experience to not flinch and to not hesitate when making his cuts and big catches. It's not something a lot of people can overcome especially when it hasn't been trained into them their whole life. The NFL is a hard place to start learning how to be a WR. But if any team can coach a player up its this one so I'm excited to see what they can mold him into.
IMO Harris is a complete project and a high risk pick in round 4. Trying to turn a tall thin Basketball player into an NFL receiver is a tall order. My expectations are very low. I have higher expectations for Skowronek

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Are you talking about former Ducks and Rams coach Rich Brooks? If so, he also coached at Kentucky.

Lmao - I got Kansas on my mind. Well

0h for 2. Thanks for correcting me

I does show me even more excitement for Cohen being the new OC.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO Harris is a complete project and a high risk pick in round 4. Trying to turn a tall thin Basketball player into an NFL receiver is a tall order. My expectations are very low. I have higher expectations for Skowronek
I'll add to this thought. I'm disappointed in general that Snead is back to being overly reliant on measurables. If you think about his best picks they all were productive players in college and not necessarily the best combine prospects.

They've got four years with these guys. If it takes one year to sculpt their bodies and two years to teach them football, then the Rams will be lucky to get two decent years out of them. That's a poor return on a third to fifth round pick.

Then factor in that the Rams can't afford to retain most of the second contracts and its an even worse return because they often get a lower compensation pick than they originally used to draft the player.

oldnotdead

Legend

I'm still delirious the Rams starting wrs are Kupp and Arob. I loved woods more than most but Arob is a whole other level. Especially with Stafford as the qb.

Now add in OBJ when he arrives. This will be the best trio of WRs on any team. Now include, Jefferson and they are legitimately 4 deep at WR. The Ram's 11 personnel will take on a whole new dimension with Robinson, OBJ, Kupp, Higbee, and Akers.

Harris has star written all over him if he stays healthy. He lost last year to injury. So IMO next year should be his breakout year. The best cure for drops is practice, practice, and more practice.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McVay said Harris was no longer a TE. So I think that means they don't think he's going to be able to put on weight. He might be one of those super high metabolism types (those fuckers).

What I like about him is his body control. He can move and twist and shit for the ball in ways that a lot of guys can't. I don't think you can teach that. I also think that's why the Rams were so excited about him last year. They sent tape of him in camp to Coen over at Kentucky. That tells me there was crazy buzz, over and above the rumors of people at Rams park calling him a unicorn.

Clearly the guy is a potential weapon. There's no doubt about it in my mind. Just keep working his hands/focus and hope that he can stay healthy and maybe put a little weight on. Only thing I'd caution them on is don't let him get top heavy. That can happen very easily to the tall dudes if they don't beef the lower half or the upper half gets too big IMO.

Yes. He must be with the WR now.

Here is the TE position preview series the Ram’s are doing; no mention of Harris with the TE group.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'll add to this thought. I'm disappointed in general that Snead is back to being overly reliant on measurables. If you think about his best picks they all were productive players in college and not necessarily the best combine prospects.

They've got four years with these guys. If it takes one year to sculpt their bodies and two years to teach them football, then the Rams will be lucky to get two decent years out of them. That's a poor return on a third to fifth round pick.

Then factor in that the Rams can't afford to retain most of the second contracts and its an even worse return because they often get a lower compensation pick than they originally used to draft the player.
Your point on turning him into a football player still stands, but Harris played soccer not basketball.

I'm pretty sure Snead said they focused on athletes last year because the college tape was unreliable. With so many guys and colleges sitting out the covid season the film supposedly was skewed. Personally I don't think looking at athleticism fixes that at all, but it was the choice they made. I do think we'll see a return to normal high quality Snead drafting this year. Hopefully anyway.

nighttrain

Legend
our drafting guru, Holmes is is Detroit, one of the reasons for the Coan hire maybe.
train

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The analytics the Rams do is cutting edge, way in front of the rest of the NFL.

I don’t think Holmes built the system and he’s no more a guru than the other, however many scouts and GMs there are.

They just won the Super Bowl with an OL most on ROD hated.

I think Harris has great potential and his injury was a freak accident. I’ll take him over Atwell any day. And, I’ll take the Rams FO all year every year.

nighttrain

Legend
The analytics the Rams do is cutting edge, way in front of the rest of the NFL.

I don’t think Holmes built the system and he’s no more a guru than the other, however many scouts and GMs there are.

They just won the Super Bowl with an OL most on ROD hated.

I think Harris has great potential and his injury was a freak accident. I’ll take him over Atwell any day. And, I’ll take the Rams FO all year every year.
Rams drafted Atwell well before Harris, care to comment? seriously

train

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rams drafted Atwell well before Harris, care to comment? seriously

train
They thought Atwell was worth the draft capital in the second round and Harris in the 4th. Not sure what there is to say about it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Your point on turning him into a football player still stands, but Harris played soccer not basketball.

I'm pretty sure Snead said they focused on athletes last year because the college tape was unreliable. With so many guys and colleges sitting out the covid season the film supposedly was skewed. Personally I don't think looking at athleticism fixes that at all, but it was the choice they made. I do think we'll see a return to normal high quality Snead drafting this year. Hopefully anyway.
I hadn’t heard the reasoning. I agree with you. That fixes nothing. I know that some colleges followed the rules. Penn Stare didn’t practice until permitted and they were awful, especially early on. But certain players still stood out and there was 2019, 2018, and 2017 tape to look at if anyone intrigued them. Most good players show their potential early on.