Rams unsure if LT Jake Long wants to keep playing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not so sure those rates above is in order with what Jake Long will play for.
Not a chance. This is a weird situation with Jake, too. He played pretty well when he was in (with a few exceptions), and we could certainly use a guy of his talents, but now there's this cloud around that makes it seem like his heart's not in it anymore. I followed the whole Jake to STL saga as it was unfolding on Twitter. As inane as Twitter can be at times, it is interesting to follow these developing stories in real time. His wife, Jackie, was really reluctant to leave South Beach initially, and it didn't sound good. Wonder if she's homesick now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barksdale. Thats about it. But, from a cast off from the Raiders (desperate for O line help) to a solid RT starting week in and week out, that is not a small thing.
Your right fearsomefour. Guess I was thinking of the 2015 under contract Ram OL'ers. Yes JB has been here now for 3 of his four NFL seasons. Now he will enter free agency in a few months & no longer a Ram in 2015.

If I were a very experienced NFL OL coach & all I had to show for 3 full seasons was Barksdale who was a highly sought after 2011 OT draft prospect, not so sure I would be all that happy with just one player to mentioned here.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not a chance. This is a weird situation with Jake, too. He played pretty well when he was in (with a few exceptions), and we could certainly use a guy of his talents, but now there's this cloud around that makes it seem like his heart's not in it anymore. I followed the whole Jake to STL saga as it was unfolding on Twitter. As inane as Twitter can be at times, it is interesting to follow these developing stories in real time. His wife, Jackie, was really reluctant to leave South Beach initially, and it didn't sound good. Wonder if she's homesick now.

I was thinking about all that too X. You have to wonder about all that time Jake would have to have spent away from his wife & family to under go all those rehabbing events & pain & mental emotional drama that comes with those events. hard to live a life outside football. Those two are young and sure would rather be doing something together with out Jake in some kind of brace or swing or leg cast or whatever! You would get tired of the training room personnel.

ram007

Starter
So our left tackle and starting QB are both mostly contemplating retirement but would like to continue on? Anyone else concerned about this situation entering 2015? This is the off-season where they build my hopes not water them down.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
So our left tackle and starting QB are both mostly contemplating retirement but would like to continue on? Anyone else concerned about this situation entering 2015? This is the off-season where they build my hopes not water them down.

I don't ever remember hearing that Bradford was contemplating retirement...And the LT is now Robinson...

MFaulk107

The Realness
Long is beaat.Even when he was "healthy" earlier this season he still wasn't the pro bowler he once was.

Not to mention Bradford is hurt cuz of him!!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Understandable when you think about it. You spend a year rehabbing after a surgery, work hard to get yourself back to playing shape, spend countless hours getting ready, start playing, and then BAM! All gone, and you're faced with repeating the whole process all over again. His *initial* reaction was, "Screw it. I'm just not doing that again", but then after getting back into the building, around his teammates, helping out, and feeling better, he got his fire back. It has to be hard to get your dream ripped out from under you twice in a row like that.

fearsomefour

Legend
Your right fearsomefour. Guess I was thinking of the 2015 under contract Ram OL'ers. Yes JB has been here now for 3 of his four NFL seasons. Now he will enter free agency in a few months & no longer a Ram in 2015.

If I were a very experienced NFL OL coach & all I had to show for 3 full seasons was Barksdale who was a highly sought after 2011 OT draft prospect, not so sure I would be all that happy with just one player to mentioned here.
Maybe he can get some credit for the evolution of Saffold as well?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
True....except, and it is a big except, the Rams have Longs replacement in place.
There is no reasonable replacement for Bradford at this time.

He's played 61% of his 5 year career regular season games, 39% of it has been sidelined due to injury. IMO, I'd take a chance with other options no matter what they are instead of banking $13M on a almost 50/50 chance.
But I also know where your coming from, Unless we grab a rookie that is a boss, our FA list isn't looking too bright with what's out there at QB. But their cost is nowhere near Bradford's also.

I'm torn when it comes to our QB situation honestly though o_O

duckhunter

Starter
Guards usually have tree trunks for legs. OTs have athletic thinner legs. Both his knees have been worked on. Hasn't finished the last 4 years due to various injuries.

I could see RT but think on the interior he doesn't stand a prayer finishing the season (someone rolling up on interior guys happens all too often).

Shame.

So do they let JB walk to keep Jake? For me, the risk doesn't offset the reward at big $$s.

fearsomefour

Legend
He's played 61% of his 5 year career regular season games, 39% of it has been sidelined due to injury. IMO, I'd take a chance with other options no matter what they are instead of banking $13M on a almost 50/50 chance.
But I also know where your coming from, Unless we grab a rookie that is a boss, our FA list isn't looking too bright with what's out there at QB. But their cost is nowhere near Bradford's also.

I'm torn when it comes to our QB situation honestly though o_O
I agree with all of that.
That is why IMHO Bradford has to lower is cap number in a meaningful way to stay.
I would not pay him $13M either.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Guards usually have tree trunks for legs. OTs have athletic thinner legs. Both his knees have been worked on. Hasn't finished the last 4 years due to various injuries. I could see RT but think on the interior he doesn't stand a prayer finishing the season (someone rolling up on interior guys happens all too often).Shame. So do they let JB walk to keep Jake? For me, the risk doesn't offset the reward at big $$s.

Problem is we are in big need in this OL! Keeping or retaining either of them or both of them will have a high cap hit.
Long, when he is healed would still be a better overall Right OT than JB. Long is one tough excellent run blocker even better than JB. Long is only 29 yrs old could still be considered an emergency swing OT too, JB nope. JB has a couple of yrs of youth on his side will be 27 tomorrow (happy Birthday Joe:party:) . JB has something JL never had , JB is as tough as they come period. JB will always have issues with speeders it will not go away. If they resign JB our OC will need to plan to get some help to JB if speeders do attack.

duckhunter

Starter
Br,

There's no doubt who the better linemen is when healthy. However, the odds are that Jake doesn't finish the season. 4 for 4 last 4 years. That's a bad trend.

So how much you willing to gamble? $10M or even say league average salary for a RT, my guess is $5M. Not me. The numbers say he doesn't finish the season healthy, so how many games do you get out of him? Half? For the $5M, I get someone I believe can play every game.

Draft a rookie in the first for RT and suffer the learning curve makes the most sense to me. Solve the problem long term if you can. Add a decent starting center/guard through FA at $5M a season and move onto whatever you're gonna do at the other starter.

Still, need quality depth on the shelf. If we don't grow em we spend expensive FA bucks every time to look competitive on paper.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yep your right. Fisher made it official here Greg Robinson is the starting OLT. So Fisher has moved on from Long being in any conversations as the LEFT OT post. I think as you say OnceARam we all here have been long moved on as to Jake Long being a starter @ OLT

Fisher sure needs a swing OT & Jake may make a great one but not sure Jake would go that route taking a very large pay cut in 2015 to be a reserve? Jake may consider taking up a starting RIGHT OT post & then the OLG post. Jake could even in a degraded condition here @ 30 yrd old do one more tour to see how it goes. Not so sure he will take that large of a pay cut. Jake has been making big big big $$ now for a long long time. One might consider how many recent off seasons in a row now that Jake has spent in a major rehabbing event! Jake is now going through his fourth back to back to back to back season with rehabbing events! Take a look at the below:
2011 off season rehabbing event after surgery to repair his torn shoulder labrum.
2012 off season rehabbing torn right biceps & left knee surgery
2013 off season rehabbing event of a MCL & ACL right knee surgery
2014 pending off season rehabbing event for a ACL right knee surgery

I am sure that Fisher will give Jake a chance of returning & starting in another position agree with that. But it would not be for 10.5 million cap hit in 2015. Rams do have 3 of the 5 OL starting posts to address & Jake certainly could help out one of the two starting posts. Question is at what rate?
That would be a smart thing to do but how many Boudreau OL roster spots of younger OL'ers have completed this development in 3 Ram seasons?

We pay the OL coach to coach. We have to expect him to do his job and develop our young'ins. If not, we do not have a functional organization. I just won't / can't believe that.

A55VA6

Legend
Jake just had a child so that probably has a lot to do with him considering walking away.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Understandable when you think about it. You spend a year rehabbing after a surgery, work hard to get yourself back to playing shape, spend countless hours getting ready, start playing, and then BAM! All gone, and you're faced with repeating the whole process all over again. His *initial* reaction was, "Screw it. I'm just not doing that again", but then after getting back into the building, around his teammates, helping out, and feeling better, he got his fire back. It has to be hard to get your dream ripped out from under you twice in a row like that.

Actually, he felt like that for two whole days. But then, ol' JT can cherry pick quotes with the best of 'em. Asshole.
More than understandable - the wonder is the feeling didn't last longer.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Hmmmmmmm............what about C? Can he play that too? If so then he can play G and C and in that case Wells goes and keep Long. But at a smaller pricetag since he is probably going to get hurt again.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im intrigued at the thought of Long playing guard, it could help keep him healthier and hes always been a great run blocker.