Rams unsure if LT Jake Long wants to keep playing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Long has been rehabbing in a way that would suggest that he will attempt to play again. The real question is if he could even compete for a tackle position after two ACL injuries. A tackle needs as much mobility as possible.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Dont understand how people are real quick to dump Long but still so loyal to Bradford who has had the same injuries and missed even more games. :confused:

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Long is still big and strong, just not as agile as he was earlier in his career. I think he would make an excellent guard.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
@FRO mentioned this when I brought it up last year, but Jake would be a pretty tall guard - would Sam (or whoever is playing QB) be able to see?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dont understand how people are real quick to dump Long but still so loyal to Bradford who has had the same injuries and missed even more games. :confused:

The Rams can find a replacement for Long pretty easily - in fact, have already replaced him at his primary position. The Rams don't have a good option yet to replace Bradford. If the Rams had a high, physically imposing pick to back up Bradford, pretty much everybody would want Sam to be cut rather than pay him.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Yes! I actually think with Bryant and Barron, Alexander may end up being the odd man out... but Bryant will surprise people.

I'm not part of the college rivalry thing so I dunno what to say about the OSU deal, although as a born Bruin...born at UCLA Medical Center to a UCLA student... I am genetically predisposed to hating all things USC. I can't help it. That said, I got over McDonald being from USC the second he put on the Horns.
I think they might move Alexander to OLB. Remember, he only had one season as a Safety in college ,so adding a couple lbs. and switching back would not be that difficult.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather we use the roster spot to develop a younger player.
I agree. Time for Jake Long to retire... there is very little upside to him now.

Great player for most of his career! Probably will be a good coach.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
The Rams can find a replacement for Long pretty easily - in fact, have already replaced him at his primary position. The Rams don't have a good option yet to replace Bradford. If the Rams had a high, physically imposing pick to back up Bradford, pretty much everybody would want Sam to be cut rather than pay him.

That's pretty reasonable, I'd like to see him go on the inside though before cutting ties with him (unless he retires), that move seemed to work pretty well for Saffold and we aren't exactly stacked on OL to just cut him IMO. He was one of the best LT's in the game not to long ago and he's only 29 years old.

fearsomefour

Legend
Options at the position.
There are no viable options really available at QB. Robinson is the current and future LT.

fearsomefour

Legend
That's pretty reasonable, I'd like to see him go on the inside though before cutting ties with him (unless he retires), that move seemed to work pretty well for Saffold and we aren't exactly stacked on OL to just cut him IMO. He was one of the best LT's in the game not to long ago and he's only 29 years old.
Yeah, a short career for a super talented guy. A left side of Robinson/Long with Saffold/Barksdale on the right side looks imposing on paper. But, hard to tell how he will come back....and there is the money to saved if he is cut. If he restructures (something vet players are usually hesitant to do) it has to provide cap savings....so, if he worth keeping on at $3M a year? I don't know when the team could save about $7-8M by cutting him.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Yeah, a short career for a super talented guy. A left side of Robinson/Long with Saffold/Barksdale on the right side looks imposing on paper. But, hard to tell how he will come back....and there is the money to saved if he is cut. If he restructures (something vet players are usually hesitant to do) it has to provide cap savings....so, if he worth keeping on at $3M a year? I don't know when the team could save about $7-8M by cutting him.

Everything you said is true and I agree with it all but at the same time the exact things you said can also be said about Bradford except the team could save $13M.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have our LT of the future. Long played admirably. It's time to move on.
Yep your right. Fisher made it official here Greg Robinson is the starting OLT. So Fisher has moved on from Long being in any conversations as the LEFT OT post. I think as you say OnceARam we all here have been long moved on as to Jake Long being a starter @ OLT
Agreed, or move him to the bench as a swing Tackle if he's willing to restructure.
Fisher sure needs a swing OT & Jake may make a great one but not sure Jake would go that route taking a very large pay cut in 2015 to be a reserve? Jake may consider taking up a starting RIGHT OT post & then the OLG post. Jake could even in a degraded condition here @ 30 yrd old do one more tour to see how it goes. Not so sure he will take that large of a pay cut. Jake has been making big big big $$ now for a long long time. One might consider how many recent off seasons in a row now that Jake has spent in a major rehabbing event! Jake is now going through his fourth back to back to back to back season with rehabbing events! Take a look at the below:
2011 off season rehabbing event after surgery to repair his torn shoulder labrum.
2012 off season rehabbing torn right biceps & left knee surgery
2013 off season rehabbing event of a MCL & ACL right knee surgery
2014 pending off season rehabbing event for a ACL right knee surgery
With Fisher's penchant to trust vets like Long, it wouldn't surprise me to see Long back. I don't want it, but if he's strong and is willing to play RT, then I could see them giving him a chance, anyway. I would still think they'd see signing Barksdale as a priority.
I am sure that Fisher will give Jake a chance of returning & starting in another position agree with that. But it would not be for 10.5 million cap hit in 2015. Rams do have 3 of the 5 OL starting posts to address & Jake certainly could help out one of the two starting posts. Question is at what rate?
I'd rather we use the roster spot to develop a younger player.
That would be a smart thing to do but how many Boudreau OL roster spots of younger OL'ers have completed this development in 3 Ram seasons?

fearsomefour

Legend
Everything you said is true and I agree with it all but at the same time the exact things you said can also be said about Bradford except the team could save $13M.
True....except, and it is a big except, the Rams have Longs replacement in place.
There is no reasonable replacement for Bradford at this time.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep your right. Fisher made it official here Greg Robinson is the starting OLT. So Fisher has moved on from Long being in any conversations as the LEFT OT post. I think as you say OnceARam we all here have been long moved on as to Jake Long being a starter @ OLT
"That would be a smart thing to do but how many Boudreau OL roster spots of younger OL'ers have completed this development in 3 Ram seasons?"
Barksdale.
Thats about it. But, from a cast off from the Raiders (desperate for O line help) to a solid RT starting week in and week out, that is not a small thing.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed, or move him to the bench as a swing Tackle if he's willing to restructure.
I went back & looked to see what the Rams have been paying for the past seasons reserve OT's.
*2012 season Fisher has two OT who they used to swing Wayne Hunter & Joe Barksdale. Rams paid Hunter 3.5 million in that cap clearing trade to get clear of Jason Smith off the books. Then they paid Barksdale $465,000.
*2013 season Fisher went into the season with swing OT's Barksdale who was paid $555,000.
*2014 season Fisher went with Mike Person as the swing OT they paid him $645,000.

Not so sure those rates above is in order with what Jake Long will play for.