Rams trying to get something done with Shelton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Agreed and not only that but the Rams in general are that team who rips the bandaid off when they make a mistake. Boom was a mistake. They're not gonna double down on him. At least that would be out of character on top of the business side making things look like an easy decision as well.
As much as I wanna agree that they rip the band-aid off, the Rams have always had at least one player that they seem to go the stupid route for even though overall our front office is pretty damn smart. They already stupidly double downed on Noteboom by restructuring his contract to have the current cap hit he has now. I know I was really against that restructure since Noteboom has never proven to be a reliable starting option since he is made of glass. Noteboom is a solid backup at best. We should have gotten rid of him prior to restructuring, that would have been ripping the band-aid off. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me or many I assume, if Noteboom isn't a Ram next year unless he surprisingly takes a huge pay cut. He just makes too much as a backup.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Signing Shelton for another 1-2 season. seems a no brainer. Won’t cost a ton and he’s done well enough. And Stafford seems comfortable with him.

If they are unable to resign Dotson, going the route of Note as guard and drafting an iOL in the 2nd or 3rd isn’t a bad option. Note and the rookie battle it out for LG with everyone else settled in from last year. More FA money to use elsewhere (CB, Edge, safety). I’d expect that to be their Plan B option.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd wait, post June 1. If the plan is to cut him.
Factoring another likely boost to the cap.. the percentage hit he makes in the future is less than what the percentage hit of the cap is this year.
But, you'd only do that if you had defined plans for signings, post June 1st.. otherwise move now.
Post June 1 costs 5 mill. If you're going to cut him, you have to cut him prior to 3/18
Can save 15 mill by cutting him now over paying him this season.
Hedging on future cap for effective players is one thing, but on a fringe player who is on the last year of his deal makes no sense.
Again, he's already costing 10 mill of cap space next year unless he's gone prior to June 1

WestCoastRam

Legend
As much as I wanna agree that they rip the band-aid off, the Rams have always had at least one player that they seem to go the stupid route for even though overall our front office is pretty damn smart.
I'd say that's better than the league average.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Post June 1 costs 5 mill. If you're going to cut him, you have to cut him prior to 3/18
Can save 15 mill by cutting him now over paying him this season.
Hedging on future cap for effective players is one thing, but on a fringe player who is on the last year of his deal makes no sense.
Again, he's already costing 10 mill of cap space next year unless he's gone prior to June 1
Forgive me, I'm not clear on what you're saying here.

I'm saying I think it's okay to use the post June 1 designation and pushing a little more of the cap into future years. It opens up 15 million for 2024.
One of my reasons is that the dollars will have lighter impact on the team because of the growing salary cap.
This would push 10 million onto 25, and 5 million onto 26.
I think that money will be available to use later signings that could be valuable. Low-cost veterans.
All that is opposed to immediately cutting him, which saves 5 million this year and creates 15 million in dead money.

The impact on the cap this year of cutting him is close to 6 percent.. the impact of post June 1 has on next year's cap is about 3.5 percent, if the cap takes another big jump. And with the NFL being the most valuable broadcast property, I feel comfortable assuming another big jump ahead.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forgive me, I'm not clear on what you're saying here.
Noteboom in 2024 has a 5 mill bonus due 3/18, salary of 10 mill and 5 mill of dead cap. Total of 20 mill.
In 2025, after his contract voids, the Rams will have 10 mill of dead money from his restructure
If he is to be cut, waiting for post June 1 doesnt change the dead cap in '25, it would still be 10 mill, however it would cost them 5 mill more of cap space this year as they would have paid the 5 mill roster bonus

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
10 mil 2024 salary / 20 mil cap hit
I don't know if it's possible but....
They could cut the 10 mil in half and extend him 1 year @ 5 mil and he still gets the same money he would get if he was cut this year and got 2.5 a year for 2 years from another team (would he get more?). The cap hit would go from 20 to 15 this year, stay at 10 next year and go to 5 mil in 2026 (dead money; void year). And if we cut him next year, we'd still save 5 mil.

Alaric will get tendered.

It’s all a numbers game. Mcvay let’s the money guy take care of things.He gets his say,but trusts the process.

I could even see a possible trade ? Mcvay didn’t give a clear indication either way because of how the salary cap works.

Could Jackson sign for more,would The Rams be willing to risk A Jackson ,

It makes to much since to resign & match the offer by franchising.I thought no The Rams did it with Williams (cb).

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Noteboom in 2024 has a 5 mill bonus due 3/18, salary of 10 mill and 5 mill of dead cap. Total of 20 mill.
In 2025, after his contract voids, the Rams will have 10 mill of dead money from his restructure
If he is to be cut, waiting for post June 1 doesnt change the dead cap in '25, it would still be 10 mill, however it would cost them 5 mill more of cap space this year as they would have paid the 5 mill roster bonus
But I thought it was a 15 mil hit if done pre June 1 and 5 mil post?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'd say that's better than the league average.

Definitely agree there. Can't expect them to be perfect but our front office is definitely top notch. Gotta expect them to make mistakes and even double down on some too. The old saying is you win some, you lose some certainly applies in the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here’s how I see it. Rams now fully understand the value of a strong OL.

So they will strain to extend Shelton, but if they fail I think they devote a premium draft pick to the position.

Similarly, they will strain to extend Dotson but I see this as a long shot, frankly. So, they will either go to FA to fill his position (again), draft a LOT and slide Jackson over to RG, or just outright draft a RG that they like fairly early.

I’m assuming that they have moved mountains to acquire an Edge and a starting CB in FA beforehand, even if they have to resort to some restructuring. The future is now for our SB aspirations.

IOW, Snead and McVay are all over this and it will all be sorted out by the end of Day 3 in the draft. Gonna be a VERY busy and important offseason.
Les Snead was not even thinking playoffs basically last season. Kevin Dotson was a surprise.

—IMO I think your absolutely right in your assessment.Joesph Noteboom has value at LT.Alaric Jackson is a stud when it comes to just not letting the moment get to big for him & is able to handle that RG as good as anyone other than Dotson who was an absolute Find !!!
—Depth is huge,but going into The Draft there should be a very good O’Lineman who could push for a starting spot at RG (RT future) or LT ? Such as a Steve Avila type?

Yes depending on how Free Agency goes is what will open up that starting spot in The Draft ? I don’t like the Edge Rushing class & who knows if The Rams trade that pick for a veteran player they like ?

It’s really hard to dial it all in,but the pieces & direction The Rams are going all make PERFECT SENSE!!! Demarcus Robinson is a GREAT signing.Tutu Atwell is in his final year as well.Pucka is The Future & Kupp is hanging in on thread of first class used tires.

I like Tyler Johnson & IMO Austin Trammel played & did well when given a chance late in the season. I’d say The Draft will fall where it may & drafting a WR is a possibility?
Whiterspoon needs to be resigned & wants to comeback. He LOVES The Rams organization as well.Aubrey will make sure of that.

There still is the combine & Mcvay(Rams) have changed the way The Rams view it.They don’t want to waste resources & will continue to watch film & break down All Players who will be available,but probably making phone calls and doing solid background checks.
—Funny though who Mcvay talks that talk,but the only Draft Pick last season who basically got cut was Bennett?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I thought it was a 15 mil hit if done pre June 1 and 5 mil post?

There is 15 mill of dead money from his ‘23 restructuring.
5 mill per year of dead money.
5 mill in ‘24
5 mill in ‘25*
5 mill in ‘26*
* 2025 & 2026 are void years and when contract voids, dead cap accelerates
So as it stands there is 10 mill of dead money in 2025
If he is cut or traded, ALL of his dead money accelerates, so if cut prior to June 1, 15 mill hits cap immediately.
After June 1, 5 mill in ‘24 and 10 mill in ‘25

So as previously stated, cutting him now saves the 5 mill roster bonus

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There is 15 mill of dead money from his ‘23 restructuring.
5 mill per year of dead money.
5 mill in ‘24
5 mill in ‘25*
5 mill in ‘26*
* 2025 & 2026 are void years and when contract voids, dead cap accelerates
So as it stands there is 10 mill of dead money in 2025
If he is cut or traded, ALL of his dead money accelerates, so if cut prior to June 1, 15 mill hits cap immediately.
After June 1, 5 mill in ‘24 and 10 mill in ‘25

So as previously stated, cutting him now saves the 5 mill roster bonus
Sorry if I'm being thick-headed.
Does that 5 million roster bonus change anything, when it comes to the cap number? Or is it just cash that team pays out? I'm just trying to separate what's what.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry if I'm being thick-headed.
Does that 5 million roster bonus change anything, when it comes to the cap number? Or is it just cash that team pays out? I'm just trying to separate what's what.
Is this a serious question?
If he's still with the team on 3/18, he gets paid a 5 mill roster bonus. That absolutely goes against the '24 cap. It's not considered dead money, it's guaranteed player salary/bonus. It's exactly my point of why cutting him needs to happen before 3/18 not after 7/1

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I agree cutting Allen. I wish we could upgrade in FA over Shelton. My wife is good friends with his family so she is always rooting for him and it is a nice story but we can do better imo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Is this a serious question?
If he's still with the team on 3/18, he gets paid a 5 mill roster bonus. That absolutely goes against the '24 cap. It's not considered dead money, it's guaranteed player salary/bonus. It's exactly my point of why cutting him needs to happen before 3/18 not after 7/1
No need to get snippy.

I’m just confused.
I keep reading that his dead cap for this year is 5 mil if cut post June 1st.
If they cut him now, his dead cap is 15, from what I’ve read.
Are you saying, with that bonus, that his dead cap in 24 is actually higher than 5 mil if he’s cut post June 1?

Name
Richard Levy
I’m rewatching the Rams Ravens game. Fuller sucks in coverage. Johnson was awol. They have to do something about that backend coverage as well. Anything decent back there snd the Rams would have beat the Ravens by 14 points.
Thank you.

I can't believe that quite a few posters want Fuller back.

Haven't they been watching him play since he came into the league?

He can't cover at all.

Just awful.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
No need to get snippy.

I’m just confused.
Are you saying, with that bonus, that his dead cap in 24 is actually higher than 5 mil if he’s cut post June 1?
Yeah. If cut post June 1st, then you split his dead money over 2 yrs instead of taking the hit all this yr.

Plus you don't get that $15M in cap relief until after Jume 1st.

That's why the Rams last yr swallowed hard and dumped most of their guys pre June 1st instead of waiting. They wanted to take all their hits in 23' instead of letting it spill into 24'.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No need to get snippy.

I’m just confused.
Not snippy, Im just repeating myself and not sure if you're being facetious with your questions.
His dead cap, as previously explained is 15 million.
One problem that people seem to miss is that there is dead cap and total cap.
On 3/18 he gets a 5 mill bonus which directly affects the current cap, his dead cap is not affected either way, it's a different line item.
The other problem that people misunderstand is that dead cap comparisons are based on a player being cut or traded and dont consider the future cap implications if the player stays with the team
There are 4 options
1) Keep Noteboom, his 2024 cap hit is 20 million. 5 mill bonus, 10 mill salary, 5 mill restructure dead cap. In 2025 the Rams get a 10 mill dead cap hit for restructure. Total cap 30 mill
2) Cut/trade Noteboom prior to 3/18, 15 mill dead cap hit
3) Cut/trade Noteboom after 3/18, Prior to 7/1, 5 mill bonus + 15 mill restructure acceleration. total 20 mill cap hit
4) Cut/trade Noteboom after 7/1, 5 mill bonus + 5 mill restructure acceleration. total 10 mill cap hit in '24. additional 10 mill cap hit in '25. Total 20 mill
So, it costs the Rams 5 mill of cap space to cut/trade him after 3/18

WestCoastRam

Legend
With "legal tampering" beginning this week, Rams will know what Dotson's price on the open market is within a certain amount of certitude. Gonna be interesting at the combine.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Not snippy, Im just repeating myself and not sure if you're being facetious with your questions.
His dead cap, as previously explained is 15 million.
One problem that people seem to miss is that there is dead cap and total cap.
On 3/18 he gets a 5 mill bonus which directly affects the current cap, his dead cap is not affected either way, it's a different line item.
The other problem that people misunderstand is that dead cap comparisons are based on a player being cut or traded and dont consider the future cap implications if the player stays with the team
There are 4 options
1) Keep Noteboom, his 2024 cap hit is 20 million. 5 mill bonus, 10 mill salary, 5 mill restructure dead cap. In 2025 the Rams get a 10 mill dead cap hit for restructure. Total cap 30 mill
2) Cut/trade Noteboom prior to 3/18, 15 mill dead cap hit
3) Cut/trade Noteboom after 3/18, Prior to 7/1, 5 mill bonus + 15 mill restructure acceleration. total 20 mill cap hit
4) Cut/trade Noteboom after 7/1, 5 mill bonus + 5 mill restructure acceleration. total 10 mill cap hit in '24. additional 10 mill cap hit in '25. Total 20 mill
So, it costs the Rams 5 mill of cap space to cut/trade him after 3/18

You answered my question. You're saying Noteboom IMPACTS this year's cap $10 million dollars, even if he's cut post-June 1st.

*My* understanding.. is that $5 million dollar bonus *is the actual $5 million in dead money*.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.. but I can't see anywhere that Noteboom will have a $10 million cap hit in 24 if he's cut with a post-June 1 designation.

And.. I'm good with kicking the can down the road. As I said.. with the cap growing, the percentage is lower.. and it's also just not that big of a deal.